Do we move up?!? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Do we move up?!?

Reaction Score
I know Purdue beat good teams, but their loss is significantly worse than ours. We looked like a buzzsaw until going into the toughest environment in the country, top 5 team, and lost on a buzzer beater. I think that context matters too, but the difference between Purdue and UConn is marginal either way.
They're ranked higher in the predictive models, the resume models, and they were near unanimous #1 in the human polls this week before they (and us) lost. There's no justification for us ahead of them except "better loss", which is only 1 piece of resume. If we had a better win than N-Texas, then maybe there would be a conversation, but their resume is lightyears beyond ours at this point. Their 3rd best win is better than our best win.

Last edited:

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
They're ranked higher in the predictive models, the resume models, and they were near unanimous #1 in the human polls this week before they (and us) lost. There's no justification for us ahead of them except "better loss", which is only 1 piece of resume. If we had a better win than N-Texas, then maybe there would be a conversation, but their resume is lightyears beyond ours at this point. Their 3rd best win is better than our best win.
Are those predictive models still using data from last season? The human polls are subjective and have pre season bias that needs to start being baked out, now that we have current data and results to rank off of.

And I did acknowledge they have better wins, but I’d argue losing to the now 48th best team(Kenpom), is significant when we’re nitpicking 1 or 2 spot differences in the pole.

Reaction Score
Are those predictive models still using data from last season? The human polls are subjective and have pre season bias that needs to start being baked out, now that we have current data and results to rank off of.

And I did acknowledge they have better wins, but I’d argue losing to the now 48th best team(Kenpom), is significant when we’re nitpicking 1 or 2 spot differences in the pole.
But you're leaving out that it was also on the road in OT to 49th. so it's an overtime quad 1 loss. It's not a bad loss. Worse than at Kansas, sure, but it's 1 result and it does not make up the difference (their resume model WAB score is literally double ours).

And yes, if you remove pre-season bias on Torvik, Purdue's predictive rating is better than ours (but it's close).

Reaction Score
But you're leaving out that it was also on the road in OT to 49th. so it's an overtime quad 1 loss. It's not a bad loss. Worse than at Kansas, sure, but it's 1 result and it does not make up the difference (their resume model WAB score is literally double ours).

And yes, if you remove pre-season bias on Torvik, Purdue's predictive rating is better than ours (but it's close).
If roles were reversed they’d drop us 7 spots lol. Miss me with all this newfound “context” in AP voting

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think you can make a case for UConn / Purdue next to each other in any order. I do think at AFH is the least bad loss you can have. And given that we had a chance to win if Spencer hits a 3 (or we make FTs) it's hard to ding us much for that. So I'd put UConn ahead of Purdue.

Reaction Score
Purdue beat Xavier, Tennessee, Gonzaga and Marquette and that counts right? They don’t only look at the losses. I’m good no matter where they put us we have so much more season and so much moving around. Wins, losses their all coming so no need to worry where we are on Dec 4.. just hope everyone is healthy soon!

Reaction Score

1701702162678.jpeg

Reaction Score
I’m guessing #5 behind Arizona, Kansas, Houston, and Purdue although it wouldn’t surprise me if we were 6 or 7. If we were Duke they’d put us at #3 where we belong but we’re not and they won’t. Even with a “good” loss, the pollsters love dropping us like we’re wearing concrete shoes.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
looking at the rankings now -- is james madison just going to hang out in the top 25 all season? they have only beaten one "good" team and don't play anyone else for the rest of the season.

they're ranked #73 in kenpom.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Come on. Enough of the pity party. We are UConn.
Yeah, I hate that crap. I had a Red Sox fan at work doing the "poor me's" in 2005. C'mon man, buck up!

Reaction Score
Duke should move up, best 5-3 team ever and Ga Tech used to be good. Don’t forget in 2004 they were buried in the championship game by some team that Duke should have beaten in the semis but the refs gave the game to who ever they were playing.

Reaction Score
looking at the rankings now -- is james madison just going to hang out in the top 25 all season? they have only beaten one "good" team and don't play anyone else for the rest of the season.

they're ranked #73 in kenpom.
Yes, which is why it was dumb to rank them at the time.

Reaction Score
I’ve said for past two weeks we gotta go 2-1 during this stretch. We can lose to either Kansas or zags on road but got to beat unc in garden tmrw night

Reaction Score
Purdue at #3 is bogus. Lost to an unranked Northwestern team who is still unranked. Us dropping to #5 is understandable but we have a better loss then the Boilermakers.

Reaction Score
Purdue at #3 is bogus. Lost to an unranked Northwestern team who is still unranked. Us dropping to #5 is understandable but we have a better loss then the Boilermakers.
Well they're #4 so...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom