Do we have a "star recruiter"? | The Boneyard

Do we have a "star recruiter"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
People said we needed to get one to get kids to listen. Maybe we do?:

What's working now? Assistant Ricky Moore, from Augusta, Ga., obviously has contacts in that part of the country and, Biancardi said, "he is a star recruiter right now. It's not who you know, it's who knows you, and people in Georgia and Florida seem to know Ricky very well, and he has a passion for UConn. He's a great evaluator and he knows what Kevin wants."

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...vin-ollie-recruiting-0920-20150919-story.html

Reaction Score
We've definitely been having a lot of recruiting success in that part of the country. Maybe Ricky is part of the reason?

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
I assume the staff is kicking ass and really ramping up the recruiting. So much so that just today Coach Christopher Smith followed me on the Twitter! :D

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
That's great to hear that about Ricky. It has really seemed that KO is KO's star recruiter.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
Ricky coming in to close recruits...

giphy.gif

I know a lot of people were questioning our staff's ability to recruit not too long ago but Ricky Moore has shown just how good he can be and his ties and connections will only get stronger. Keep killing it on the trail Ricky "Wild Thing" Moore

Last edited:
Reaction Score
"Another thing that appealed to Juwan [Durham]," Fenlon said, "is that all Kevin Ollie's assistants played there, that's a testament to the program. That love for the university really shone through."

WE HAVE A STAR RECRUITER IN KO. Seems like he's found a great strategy in recruiting...don't recruit the player, recruit their mother :D

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Really enjoyed the comments in this thread. Has there been any talk about Ray Allen joining the staff down the road?

Reaction Score
Forget the player's name we are recruiting (one of those hyphenated 2 last names) currently at Cushing. Jay Wright and Jamie Nixon visited and Ollie sent Ricky Moore so maybe that says something about how KO values Ricky.

Reaction Score
Really enjoyed the comments in this thread. Has there been any talk about Ray Allen joining the staff down the road?

While I would love to see Ray as a coach for us someday, I highly doubt it would ever come to fruition. He's had too much success to ever need to get into coaching. Now, if he WANTS to coach, that's another story. But it would be more likely to see him dropping by campus here and there to play with the guys and teach them some things than be a full-time coach.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
"Another thing that appealed to Juwan [Durham]," Fenlon said, "is that all Kevin Ollie's assistants played there, that's a testament to the program. That love for the university really shone through."

WE HAVE A STAR RECRUITER IN KO. Seems like he's found a great strategy in recruiting...don't recruit the player, recruit their mother :D
So should we still consider getting someone outside the family? I vote no!

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Forget the player's name we are recruiting (one of those hyphenated 2 last names) currently at Cushing. Jay Wright and Jamie Nixon visited and Ollie sent Ricky Moore so maybe that says something about how KO values Ricky.

Makai Ashton-Langford.

Reaction Score
Figured I'd drop this here. Regarding Hamidou Diallo's recruitment:

"We see Glen Miller a lot - he's almost like an assistant coach on my staff," Espinosa joked about Kevin Ollie's associate head coach. "Kevin Ollie's been here. They're doing their job."

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

"We see Glen Miller a lot - he's almost like an assistant coach on my staff," Espinosa joked about Kevin Ollie's associate head coach. "Kevin Ollie's been here. They're doing their job."

Miller was also the point man for Mamadou.

Reaction Score
Just a thought, no real basis to this, but I'm wondering if our staff does a lot of recruiting by region.
-Miller is CT native and has coached in the area for a long time, he seems to be the main guy for some of the local kids like Mamadou and the kids at PSA.
-Ricky is from Georgia and the quote OP posted says he's well known in FL/GA. He was a huge part in getting Juwan Durham, wonder how big of a role he had in getting Alterique to commit?
-KO is from LA, I'd be willing to bet he is the main guy heading out to recruit West Coast guys like Vance Jackson, DHam, etc.
Whether they do that on purpose or if it just kind of works that way, it is cool that we seemingly have guys who are well known in different parts of the country.

Reaction Score
While I would love to see Ray as a coach for us someday, I highly doubt it would ever come to fruition. He's had too much success to ever need to get into coaching. Now, if he WANTS to coach, that's another story. But it would be more likely to see him dropping by campus here and there to play with the guys and teach them some things than be a full-time coach.
I think Ray would like to coach. Thing is, at Uconn another coach would need to move on to make room for him. Then would he jump rank and become a regular full time assistant or would he start at the bottom and be the director of basketball administration. Also does he have his degree? I think he would need to finish that first.

Reaction Score

interestingly enough millers title is associate head coach right?

Reaction Score
I have to imagine at this point, especially if it gets to the point where the (i.e. any) kid who gets on campus and meets the staff has to get some feeling that

a) UConn is an everlasting family
b) KO's staff is simply an exension of KO himself; the brainchild of a top-5-all-time program builder.

And nobody can ignore the alums who are constantly coming back to bumf-ck Storrs CT to work out and be around their bretheren. When was the last time Anthony Davis was in Lexington?

There really aren't many angles that UConn doesn't have on its side at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom