Do they really "need" to play... overseas? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Do they really "need" to play... overseas?

Reaction Score
It's not just months work. Its year round to be a professional athlete. There are doctors trainers consultants hours in the gym preparing to be great. So you are saying our best female athletes should be full time used car sales people for part of the year and then miraculously become an elite athlete on the first day of the season. MISOGYNY!

Reaction Score
This could be the most misogynistic thread I've ever seen. The wnba pays no where near enough for a professional athlete and all that comes with it. I don't even want to waste typing on the comparison to nba salaries. Its sad but yes they do have to work overseas to cobble together a real income. I believe this sexist thread should be locked by the moderator.

I don’t see how this is a “sexist” thread; it’s merely pointing out the idea that players do not have to play overseas if they don’t desire to. As many have pointed out, players choose to cash in overseas because the WNBA is not paying them their full earning potential like the NBA does, but as also has been pointed out, the WNBA is not a financial juggernaut like the NBA.

Your world must not be a major city where these teams are located with much higher costs of living than rural America

“During the Regular Season and playoffs, players will be provided with the following options with respect to housing in the home cities of their WNBA Teams: (i) staying in housing provided by the Team, or (ii) receiving a monthly housing stipend equal to the average monthly cost of a furnished one bedroom apartment in the market where the Team plays its home games, as determined by data published by the local chamber of commerce (or similar organization) in each such market. Neither the WNBA nor any Team may impose restrictions as to who may visit players in the housing referred to in this Section 1(a). Notwithstanding the foregoing, nothing herein shall excuse a player from complying with any reasonable training rules promulgated by the WNBA or a Team or with any reasonable occupancy regulations established by the owners or lessors (or their designees) of such housing. Any player who elects to stay in housing provided by the Team may, upon reasonable advance notice and subject to availability, elect to upgrade her unit to a larger unit, provided that such player shall pay to the Team the difference between the cost of the Team-provided housing and the larger unit.”
-According to their current CBA. This illustrates that they do NOT have to pay for their apartment unless they would like to upgrade, in which case they still get a stipend on top of their salary towards housing.

Reaction Score
The wnba pays no where near enough for a professional athlete and all that comes with it.

Actually they are paying too much if half of their teams are losing money and they still need financial assistance from the NBA.

I don't even want to waste typing on the comparison to nba salaries.

Good, since the NBA and WNBA have nothing in common as far as being businesses.

Its sad but yes they do have to work overseas to cobble together a real income.

Why? Our best men's cyclists, volleyball players, soccer players, track and field participants and others all earn their salaries playing overseas. If Europe and Asia want to subsidize women's basketball that is their choice.

This could be the most misogynistic thread I've ever seen.

Really? You must not get around very much.

Reaction Score
If I recall correctly her Russian team paid her WNBA salary of $107K I think for her to sit out that season and save her energy for their league and the million or so they were paying.
That is correct

Reaction Score
It's not just months work. Its year round to be a professional athlete. There are doctors trainers consultants hours in the gym preparing to be great. So you are saying our best female athletes should be full time used car sales people for part of the year and then miraculously become an elite athlete on the first day of the season. MISOGYNY!
That’s why I said they should play in Europe where the money is better and bypass the W my earlier post you commented on was that someone called 50000 charitable and j found that an insulting statement considering that’s how much I earn a year and I promise you I work very hard also

Reaction Score
This could be the most misogynistic thread I've ever seen. The wnba pays no where near enough for a professional athlete and all that comes with it. I don't even want to waste typing on the comparison to nba salaries. Its sad but yes they do have to work overseas to cobble together a real income. I believe this sexist thread should be locked by the moderator.
I’m glad my fifty k a year is not a real salary think I should go to Europe on Sundays my day off a week ( sometimes) to cobble out an income that isn’t looked down on a likesecond class citizen by people like you

Reaction Score
50k-120k isnt enough to live off in the USA... along with a little side gig during the WNBA off-season. Why must they play elsewhere when not playing in the W?

Better question might be whether they need to play in the U.S.

Yes, the WNBA pays enought to live on - but most don't make enough to build up much of a savings account. And while playing basketball, most are not building up a career resume. When they are 30, many will be competing for jobs with peers who have eight years of experience.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Why is it sexist?

The NBA pays what the market will bear. NBA teams can charge, and get, $200 a ticket to see the likes of LeBron James. I’m sure Jack Nicholson pays tens of thousands of dollars to sit courtside. That’s how they pay those salaries. There’s no way there’s enough interest in the W to charge those prices. It’s not sexist; it’s economics

Reaction Score
Richie Hebner played for the Pirates in the seventies. His nickname was “Digger” because he dug graves in the off-season. Before big money in baseball.

Yes, Hebher did dig graves to supplement his income. The main reason he ended up in that profession is that his family had owned the cemetery for 50+ years. Started by his grandfather. So the whole family at that time helped out.

Reaction Score
The exact numbers very by player, but Diana reportedly earns the WNBA max of $115K or so (plus modest bonuses) in Phoenix and roughly $1,000,000 when she played in Russia. The average player probably earns 2-8x as much overseas as they do in the U.S. As Huskee11 said, it's the old Willie Sutton line.

D was quoted as saying that she played in the WNBA in order to get health insurance. Seriously.

Reaction Score
exactly... move overseas and do what Barbara Turner did, made a career out of it. Im sure they'll miss home but...
Well then they get to spend summers back home with family and friends while resting, relaxing, and enjoying life. They'd get to experience many countries and cultures around the world and probably end up making more money in the long run.

Reaction Score
Seems to me that you are spinning the definition of the word misogyny. It's bad enough as it is, it doesn't need to include your personal opinions.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Think of it as having a product to sell, that it is only saleable for a short period of time, with the future not clear beyond that time. An Everest guide, while your lungs and knees hold out; a rock star, while you still have your hair, charisma, and voice (which often doesn't seem to matter) ; A TV personality, while your face and name recognition are at a high level; an inventor, scientist, who has had a recent success; an actor, after a Golden Globe or a ten-figure movie profit. "Strike while the iron is hot" is not just for the Village Blacksmith.

Bryce Harper took the money, and Zion Williamson will do it as well (apparently it helps to be named for a National Park, so I will change my name to Dry Bones) Why shouldn't these talented women do it as well?

Shouldn't Stewie's injury simply be a cautionary tale of injury risks, and the need for some sort of guaranteed money?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Yeah there's no difference between $35M per year and $100k per year.
We all can’t be rich... stop watching others pockets. You’re on a computer so is Bill Gates

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
If you could make several times more money playing a game for 10-15 years vs. working at some regular jobs between WNBA seasons, setting yourself up financially for life if you're smart with your money, what would you do?
So why are we upset that Stewie got injured overseas... and blaming it on the pay in the W

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
LaBron makes multi millions playing hoops and mucho in endorsements. These women would stay home if being paid the same or even a quarter of the same crazy money.
We gotta stop comparing ourselves to others. players on his team make 2M a year (and don’t go overseas) and he makes 30M a year. Players pay in the NBA range from 30m down to 2M... everyone can’t be great, should the 12th man go get a side gig to get closer to Lebron’s pay, go overseas or just be happy with what they get

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Well then they get to spend summers back home with family and friends while resting, relaxing, and enjoying life. They'd get to experience many countries and cultures around the world and probably end up making more money in the long run.
I think more should do it especially if the W is holding on by a thread

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I’m glad my fifty k a year is not a real salary think I should go to Europe on Sundays my day off a week ( sometimes) to cobble out an income that isn’t looked down on a likesecond class citizen by people like you
Thanks

Reaction Score
Why is it sexist?

The NBA pays what the market will bear. NBA teams can charge, and get, $200 a ticket to see the links of LeBron James. I’m sure Jack Nicholson pays tens of thousands of dollars to sit courtside. That’s how they pay those salaries. There’s no way there’s enough interest in the W to charge those prices. It’s not sexist; it’s economics
And things will never change if people keep enabling and explaining away the tough choices elite female athletes are forced to make just to make a living. We on this board get such enjoyment out of women's basketball and then create a thread that in its title expreses such tone deafness. Sad.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
We gotta stop comparing ourselves to others. players on his team make 2M a year (and don’t go overseas) and he makes 30M a year. Players pay in the NBA range from 30m down to 2M... everyone can’t be great, should the 12th man go get a side gig to get closer to Lebron’s pay, go overseas or just be happy with what they get
Poor suckers, only two mil a year to play hoops.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
D was quoted as saying that she played in the WNBA in order to get health insurance. Seriously.
It’s hard to tell when Dee is being serious. I can definitely see her saying that. Whether she means it or not, I don’t know.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
And things will never change if people keep enabling and explaining away the tough choices elite female athletes are forced to make just to make a living. We on this board get such enjoyment out of women's basketball and then create a thread that in its title expreses such tone deafness. Sad.
let it gooooo

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom