Do recruits read the BY? Possibly... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Do recruits read the BY? Possibly...

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
As popular and accessible as the Boneyard is, I'd be shocked if every player on the team was not aware of the BY. I'd be equally as shocked if they didn't lurk or even post once in awhile. Jemelle Elliott admitted during a media interview that she visited the BY often while she was coaching here.

Because of the bold and unabashed approach some of our more ardent posters take, one does not have to peruse the room long before they are able to assertain the temperature and wind direction here. We have some of the most knowledgeable and fair minded basketball fans found anywhere on the net. Enter at your own risk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Bravo, CL82!

I was writing an admittedly furious response to this thread about how some folks have absolutely no mercy or common sense toward 18 year olds. But you've said it a lot better (and more reasonably). So, allow me to reframe that with the following mental exercise, a sort of Golden Rule for Boosters:

If, indeed, we knew for sure that the BY was read by high school recruits and even peaked at by UConn freshmen players, would everyone here still be as comfortable writing what they have in the past?

I would be...........I purposely keep my comments regarding UConn players analytical in nature, never personal..............competitive basketball players are usually their own biggest critics and for the most part know full well what their weaknesses and areas in need of improvement are.............I would bet that there are few criticisms of a basketball nature that they haven't heard before from coach Geno........

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I took Liv’s coach’s comments to mean from Geno, in his pressers, interviews, and show.

But Eric’s point is valid in that we should be measured in criticism and absolutely avoid personal attacks. At least some players, coaches, and family members do read the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
Bravo, CL82!

I was writing an admittedly furious response to this thread about how some folks have absolutely no mercy or common sense toward 18 year olds.
I think Geno himself has been far more merciless toward this year's freshmen in his public (and semi-public) comments than anything I've read on the BY. Plus his comments would be much easier to find and much more likely to be read/heard by a recruit (or anyone else) than the comments of anonymous posters on a message board.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Recruits, family members, AAU and high school coaches are often on the Boneyard. A recruit's dad has been on the board this year -- and didn't get the warmest reception, IMO.
did the recruit go elsewhere?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I see people praising themselves for their fairness and objectivity, but I wonder what a 17 year old recruit thinks when she sees fans calling the entire freshman class "overrated"? We've had some cringe-worthy threads this year.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I would think these McDonald's All Americans have learned how to filter out " noise." Maybe not when they were freshman and sophomores in HS, but by now. Other people's opinions don't matter a whit, and can only serve as a distraction, good or bad.
I’ve been to numerous AAU and high school games and sat among the players. They talk about their boyfriends or movies or school, just like any other 16 or 17 year old would. These are teenagers, not professional athletes.

Reaction Score
I’ve been to numerous AAU and high school games and sat among the players. They talk about their boyfriends or movies or school, just like any other 16 or 17 year old would. These are teenagers, not professional athletes.

that's true but if you're playing serious high level basketball you've been judged since you were 12 years old and there is very little you haven't heard before when it comes to basketball criticism..........at this level these kids are far tougher then you might think but that doesn't mean they can't be hurt by more personal criticisms like their attitude, intelligence,appearance etc............that's where the line needs to be drawn

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I can tell you that AAU coaches high school coaches opposing WCBB coachs parents kids UConn players and their parents and recruits parents and coaches are on the Boneyard. I could venture to say almost anybody who is associated with WBB either high school AAU or college have been on the Boneyard. Be careful what you say to posters because you dont know who your talking too. I remember going head to head with Lady Leprechaun who was thought to be Muffet.

Reaction Score
Yeah I'm guessing it means she's read or heard Geno's comments. He's been very vocal about his displeasure with the freshmen all season. He even went so far as to kick one off the team he was so unhappy.

Though chances are it was a different kind of displeasure than what he's felt about the rest of the freshman. She was actually more effective on the court than a couple of the others at the time of her departure. I think it was more along the lines of what teams tend to diplomatically call a "violation of team rules." Even an unwritten rule still technically counts after all.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
that's true but if you're playing serious high level basketball you've been judged since you were 12 years old and there is very little you haven't heard before when it comes to basketball criticism.....at this level these kids are far tougher then you might think but that doesn't mean they can't be hurt by more personal criticisms like their attitude, intelligence,appearance etc..that's where the line needs to be drawn
You are projecting what you think the players feel onto girls you’ve never met. Some may feel the way you describe but not all. Our fans are forgetting what it was like to be young and not quite sure of yourself.

Reaction Score
Though chances are it was a different kind of displeasure than what he's felt about the rest of the freshman. She was actually more effective on the court than a couple of the others at the time of her departure. I think it was more along the lines of what teams tend to diplomatically call a "violation of team rules." Even an unwritten rule still technically counts after all.

Really curious to know the real story on that although I'm not so sure we'll find out any time soon............my distant Ossining sources have remained pretty mum
on the subject and of course their version may be a bit one sided.........

Reaction Score
You are projecting what you think the players feel onto girls you’ve never met. Some may feel the way you describe but not all. Our fans are forgetting what it was like to be young and not quite sure of yourself.

There may be some but I've met my daughter and many, many current AAU players and they are constantly judged on their shortcomings...........that's how they get better..............it's the personal stuff that really hits home........

Reaction Score
Here'a a perfect example of a star teenage player and what they get emotional about..........

Reaction Score
A far more interesting question is whether the Tennessee recruits read the Volnation. Personally I do not care although I would not mind knowing the answer.

Reaction Score
A far more interesting question is whether the Tennessee recruits read the Volnation. Personally I do not care although I would not mind knowing the answer.

Perhaps it's best if Tennessee recruits skip reading anything about the program

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom