Djery Baptiste (Committed to Vanderbilt) | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Djery Baptiste (Committed to Vanderbilt)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well the Vandy and Jerry Meyers are a little off with that info then. I saw that thread on there saying that Vandy could land both Morgan and Baptist. Apparently Vandy is trying to sell Baptist on being the next Ezeale but why not the next Emeka?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Well the Vandy and Jerry Meyers are a little off with that info then. I saw that thread on there saying that Vandy could land both Morgan and Baptist. Apparently Vandy is trying to sell Baptist on being the next Ezeale but why not the next Emeka?
Because the odds of being the next emeka are not in anyone's favor.

Reaction Score
... Baptiste seems to be the least likely to commit since everyone seems to think he's going to Vandy.

Everybody at Vandy thought Emeka Okafor was going with the Commodores as well.

Reaction Score
“@jerrymeyer247: 4 -star Djery Baptiste picks Vanderbilt over UConn. Story coming w quotes. http://post original url/PIdiy8SLLZ”

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
“@jerrymeyer247: 4 -star Djery Baptiste picks Vanderbilt over UConn. Story coming w quotes. http://post original url/PIdiy8SLLZ”

Whelp, looks like we gotta go get Stone.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Whelp, looks like we gotta go get Stone.
Yup. Though I think we're ok even if we don't get either of them this year. We'll have Phil (sr), Amida (jr) and Enoch (fr) all able to play the 5 next season, so I'm not going to sweat it.

Wouldn't surprise me if we ended up with a class of Adams, Enoch, Clarke and Jones.

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
Vanderbilt currently only has 2 other guys at the PF/C spot for next year. Tons of playing time there for Baptiste. Can't blame him.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I hope he develops bunions and scabies and an allergy to that crappy gravy southerners try to pour on everything.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Next.....

No time to worry about whatever his name did since he didn't commit to UCONN>

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
The next Festus Ezeli? So...a NBA 12th man?
Not sweating this at all, just gave me quite a laugh when people are saying he chose Vandy over us because of the way they develop their bigs....................

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Not sweating this at all, just gave me quite a laugh when people are saying he chose Vandy over us because of the way they develop their bigs.....
We're not the best big developer either, only really Okafor, Armstrong, and Adrien can be labeled as accomplishments. None of which turned out to be stars, but Vanderbilt? Everything they do is mediocre. The only thing appealing is their benches in the basketball arena.

Reaction Score
We're not the best big developer either, only really Okafor, Armstrong, and Adrien can be labeled as accomplishments. None of which turned out to be stars, but Vanderbilt? Everything they do is mediocre. The only thing appealing is their benches in the basketball arena.

How is Adrien a bigger accomplishment than, say, Boone or Thabeet? Adrien was incredibly polished when he got to UConn.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Thabeet. Jake and Travis too. Amida seems to be coming along.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Thabeet. Jake and Travis too. Amida seems to be coming along.
How is Adrien a bigger accomplishment than, say, Boone or Thabeet? Adrien was incredibly polished when he got to UConn.
You usually don't point at Thabeet and say, "Wow he's an accomplishment - such a fine NBA player." Same goes for Travis and Jake. Adrien I guess was a push. Boone failed in the NBA.

Reaction Score
You usually don't point at Thabeet and say, "Wow he's an accomplishment - such a fine NBA player." Same goes for Travis and Jake. Adrien I guess was a push. Boone failed in the NBA.

Thabeet - $16.8mm
Knight - $22.6mm
Voskuhl - $12.3mm
Boone - $5.5mm, not counting playing overseas

None of these guys turned out to be stars, but every one of them made it to the NBA and got paid. If Djery Baptiste is expecting more than "become a multi-millionaire," then he needs to calm down.

Reaction Score
You usually don't point at Thabeet and say, "Wow he's an accomplishment ."

I do. I always compare freshman Thabeet to a baby giraffe - certainly tall, but spends an awful lot of time falling down when trying to do anything somewhat athletic. He was a fringe top 100 recruit who wasn't considered an NBA prospect coming into college, and became a first-team All-American, the defensive anchor of a FF team, and a high lottery pick (#2).

Whatever he did from there isn't so much on UConn. The program put him in a position to succeed, molding a guy who came in with limited skill and coordination and developing him to the point that the NBA saw potential. He had to keep developing, and for whatever reasons (lack of drive/passion, hit his ceiling early, etc.), he didn't get better in the league.

Of course, that was a previous coaching staff, so it's sort of a moot point.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
How do you possibly consider Thabeet not an accomplishment in terms of development?!...he was an uncoordinated piece of African tree when he 1st came to campus with little bball experience and JC turned him into the #2 pick in the draft after his junior year.

It's not about what these guys did once they got to the league it's about providing the chance to get to the next level. Thabeet is the poster child for developing a little known big into BE DPOY & Co-BE POY

Meanwhile who can Vandy point to in terms of development for any player, let alone a big man? Festivus for the rest of us Ezeli?!...child pleaseeee.

Again, do you Djery but if he was truly considering us or Vandy and thought them to be the better option in terms of big man development then good luck to you young man

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
How do you possibly consider Thabeet not an accomplishment in terms of development?!...he was an uncoordinated piece of African tree when he 1st came to campus with little bball experience and JC turned him into the #2 pick in the draft after his junior year.

It's not about what these guys did once they got to the league it's about providing the chance to get to the next level. Thabeet is the poster child for developing a little known big into BE DPOY & Co-BE POY

Meanwhile who can Vandy point to in terms of development for any player, let alone a big man? Festivus for the rest of us Ezeli?!...child pleaseeee.

Again, do you Djery but if he was truly considering us or Vandy and thought them to be the better option in terms of big man development then good luck to you young man
From a UConn fan's perspective he was a great accomplishment. Outside of UConn he was a bust.

Reaction Score
Turning any player outside of the top 15 into an NBA player is a huge accomplishment. Thabeet was extremely far from a sure fire pro when he came in and he is still in the league. Armstrong's development is also an enormous accomplishment for himself and the program.

Reaction Score

The narrative of Thabeet as a bust drives me nuts.

Yes he was a bust in relation to his draft spot. But considering where he was when he got to UConn, he should be considered the crowning achievement in big men development.

When he got here he literally couldn't catch a basketball or make a layup. Three years later he's the defensive POY, most impactful player in the country, and the #2 pick in the draft.

And this is somehow a bust from a development perspective?? Insanity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22