Djery Baptiste (Committed to Vanderbilt) | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Djery Baptiste (Committed to Vanderbilt)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Corey Alexander?
And don't forget these blasts from the past.....Randall Jackson, Perry Carter and Travis Best(we got KO).
I remember Corey Alexander, but I think that's a different one than who I am referring to. Wasn't there some kid named like Cliff Alexander or something like that who was a big that we kicked around for a while but didn't land. I thought he ended up like at UF, Miami or FSU...I think FSU. I also seem to recollect that he struggled there and might have either been dismissed or transferred out. All these recruits just seem to blur into one big blob of humanity.

All I know is I usually like who we get and they seem to do us right...bringing home 4 NCs and counting. :)

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I remember Corey Alexander, but I think that's a different one than who I am referring to. Wasn't there some kid named like Cliff Alexander or something like that who was a big that we kicked around for a while but didn't land. I thought he ended up like at UF, Miami or FSU...I think FSU. I also seem to recollect that he struggled there and might have either been dismissed or transferred out. All these recruits just seem to blur into one big blob of humanity.

All I know is I usually like who we get and they seem to do us right...bringing home 4 NCs and counting. :)
Kansas.

Reaction Score

Cliff Alexander is a high school player from Chicago who will be playing at Kansas next year. There is Courtney Alexander who played at Virginia and grew up in Connecticut, he almost transferred here in 1999, ended up in the NBA.

Reaction Score
Cliff Alexander is a high school player from Chicago who will be playing at Kansas next year. There is Courtney Alexander who played at Virginia and grew up in Connecticut, he almost transferred here in 1999, ended up in the NBA.
Oh, yeah, Cliff is a recent kid. I know who he is. So it's neither Cliff nor Courtney. Maybe I got the last name completely wrong as well. There was some big kid eerily similar to Kasongo in that he was a big kid who's game was a tad unknown. Teams who needed a big jumped on him late. There is a Gary Alexander I just found via Google who played for USF sometime before 1993, but that seems to go further back than the big I'm thinking about. The kid I'm thinking about was on the radar around the time we were recruiting Brandon Bass. Maybe the year before or after or that same year. Somewhere between Diogu and Bass give or take a year. Does this ring a bell to anyone?

Reaction Score
Oh, yeah, Cliff is a recent kid. I know who he is. So it's neither Cliff nor Courtney. Maybe I got the last name completely wrong as well. There was some big kid eerily similar to Kasongo in that he was a big kid who's game was a tad unknown. Teams who needed a big jumped on him late. There is a Gary Alexander I just found via Google who played for USF sometime before 1993, but that seems to go further back than the big I'm thinking about. The kid I'm thinking about was on the radar around the time we were recruiting Brandon Bass. Maybe the year before or after or that same year. Somewhere between Diogu and Bass give or take a year. Does this ring a bell to anyone?
I know who you are thinking of, Alexander Johnson Florida State.

Reaction Score
Courtney Alexander – In the mid 90’s was a standout swingman for Virginia. He was thinking of transferring to UConn after he was suspended from Virginia for assaulting his girlfriend. He ended up at FresnoState. Think UConn didn’t pursue him once they found out the details, but I could be wrong.

Cory Alexander – Played PG for Virginia in the early 1990s, with Junior Burroughs (for those who remember back then). Alexander was a pretty good player himself and was a first round draft pick, but didn’t last too long in the NBA.

Reaction Score
If you can develop the guy into a top player, then you take his commitment immediately. You don't wait on the 50/50 chance.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
I would say if we have enoch in the fold, we should really focus on landing stone. or somehow sign enoch stone and baptiste and tell 2/3 that they wont see the floor much freshman year.

Baptiste committing now won't scare off a top 10 player like Stone committing later. Stone committing later might scare off Baptitse earlier commitment...see WJack.

Reaction Score
http://ny2lasports.com/article_one.aspx?articleid=2366 (posting same article in Chris Clarke thread)

I don't know if it's that fine of a line that we're walking. They want Enoch to commit and I have to think they'll be thrilled to land whichever one of Clarke/Jones who wants to commit first. Baptiste seems to be the least likely to commit since everyone seems to think he's going to Vandy.

Either way, these are nice problems to have.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I know who you are thinking of, Alexander Johnson Florida State.
Alexander Johnson. Bingo! Way to go, SJ. So the last name I remembered was his first name.
How's this for random knowledge. I remember Alexander Johnson went to a 50 Cent concert on campus and things looked good for us!!

Now, I don't even know the recruits barely until they sign! Kids, life, etc. now. I used to obsess over this constantly!

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Stupid question:

If we have offered a player and they commit, do we have options or are we required to honor our offer? If we have options then what does offering a scholarship actually mean?

Reaction Score
Stupid question:

If we have offered a player and they commit, do we have options or are we required to honor our offer? If we have options then what does offering a scholarship actually mean?
You're only bound by a letter of intent, look at willie jackson from what i read it seemed like he felt he was being away by UCONN after commiting

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
So the college is only committed to accept the kid after a kid signs a letter of intent? (knowing there are "subtle" ways to help the kid decide to leave)

Reaction Score
So the college is only committed to accept the kid after a kid signs a letter of intent? (knowing there are "subtle" ways to help the kid decide to leave)

At this point in the year, it's easy to tell who the coaching staff really wants. If we're having guys visit campus or if Ollie is visiting recruits at their homes, it means Uconn would be doing backflips if they commited.

Now there may be guys who we've offered months ago but are no longer actively recruiting. Those kids aren't going to decide to commit to Uconn out of the blue. They're going to commit to a school that is still recruiting them.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Let me try an example. If C. Christ Koumadje commits tomorrow and signs a letter of intent at the earlies possible moment, are we "stuck" with him because we offered?
Assume he knows he is our third choice and we've backed off him a bit. I just want to know the colleges obligation in having offered a scholarship.

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
Let me try an example. If C. Christ Koumadje commits tomorrow and signs a letter of intent at the earlies possible moment, are we "stuck" with him because we offered?
Assume he knows he is our third choice and we've backed off him a bit. I just want to know the colleges obligation in having offered a scholarship.

Kevin Ollie would have to accept his commitment first. Guys can't just commit out of the blue. If Koumadje has a scholarship offer and he commits and KO accepts it and then Koumadje signs his letter of intent, then we are "stuck" with him unless something happens where it would make it desirable for both parties to part ways.

Reaction Score
"The Huskies are already involved pretty heavily with top-50 prospects, Malik Beasley and Derrick Jones on the wing, in joining Jalen Adams in the 2015 class, of whom had committed earlier in the spring."

That is some mighty prose.

Yeah, he's really abused the language a fair bit in this post.

Reaction Score
Baptist might commit to Vandy before visit to Connecticut per 247

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member