Dividing up 200 Minutes | The Boneyard

Dividing up 200 Minutes

Reaction Score
Since we are in a slow time now, just two two months from the start of official practice, and we have a number of off-topic postings, I feel no need to apologize for again discussing how 200 minutes of playing time will be divided among 14 players. Surely this is just as relevant as OT topics about “what is your favorite flavor of chewing gum” and the hottest prospect for the class of 2027 who goes around wearing an “I Love Geno" t-shirt. And, after all, we have had a number of “Who’s Starting” threads.

This time, however, I will approach the subject from a somewhat different perspective. The caveats, however, are that we really do not know what improvements some players will make during the off-season and how the inevitable injuries will affect playing time. Piath Gabriel, for example, has undergone some non-basketball related surgery and will not be participating in summer practices and this will impede her development. Paige Bueckers has had ankle surgery and also will not be participating in most/all summer activities. What effect might this have on her sophomore season? Likewise Saylor Poffenbarger.

Nevertheless, starting with 200 minutes, what do we know? A few players at the end of the bench, identities not yet determined, although we can make some pretty good guesses, will only play in garbage time and Paige will play 30 minutes. That leaves about 160 minutes to be divided among the other players and how they might be distributed becomes pure conjecture. Since the team has much greater depth than last season, there are a lot more questions about the individuals on the team and how the pieces will come together than for last year. A good deal of the debate prior to last season focused around two questions - was Paige Bueckers going to be the 5th starter and was Nika Muhl good enough to be part of the rotation. A lot of Boneyards voiced negative postings on both these matters. I expect that these minutes will be distributed among the five others in last year’s rotation, plus newcomers Fudd and Juhasz. The basic rotation will probably consist of eight players. What roles Ducharme and Griffin will have remains to be determined.

For the upcoming season, however, we have a number of interesting topics to pontificate about. Is Amari DeBarry good enough to be on the floor for significant minutes or will she basically come off the bench at the end of the game? What will we see from Saylor Poffenbarger in 2021-22? Will she play like a high schooler in over her head or shall we see a confident person who was highly ranked by the rating mavins? Will Aubrey Griffin make major improvements so that she will play more than around 10 minutes per game? Who will have the most minutes at center, ODO or Dorka Juhasz? Which player(s) will be on the floor most after Bueckers? Is Azzi Fudd as good as Paige Bueckers, and so on? Finally, when will certain Boneyarders give Nika Mühl the respect she deserves?

Such will be interesting to contemplate and, if anyone is interested, my favorite gum flavor is spearmint.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
seinfeld newman GIF

Working on it

Reaction Score
Thank you! My favorite is Canadian Mist. I really don't know who starts, nobody does. Mark me down for the trio of Paige, Azzi, and Nika getting significant minutes in any game that is not a complete blow out in the first quarter. How do you defend that trio? In tough games, this could be who Geon relies upon. It's a matter of trust (is that a song?)

Blame any misspellings, stupid stuff, etc. on Canada.

Reaction Score
All Geno has to do is tell his team to play at near light speed which causes time to slow. I bet they could stretch the game to 300 minutes easily.

Reaction Score
it's certainly a tough math problem...... no matter how many blow outs they play and I suspect there will be many, no way Geno plays PB only 25 minutes a game.........he can't help himself in keeping the starting five out on the court despite the size of their lead.....also there's simply no way averages only 15 minutes unless she has nagging injuries during the season........

Reaction Score
Merge all these “How many minutes” threads and we need to call NASA and borrow some servers.

and let’s think about….since not even Geno could know the answer, the question is ridiculous.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'll bite, too.

First column of numbers is average for an average game, second is for close games. I'm sure my estimates for normal games are compressed, but I'm looking forward to seeing all these players and hope most of them average double-digit minutes.

I think the lineup I'd most like to see on the floor is Muhl, Bueckers, (Fudd or Ducharme), Poffenbarger, and Edwards. That would be probably the best passing ever seen in a NCAA game.

Westbrook1725
Nelson-Ododa1518
Williams2530
Juhasz1520
Griffin105
Bueckers3033
Edwards2025
Muhl2020
McLean50
Gabriel20
Fudd2020
Poffenbarger82
Ducharme82
DeBerry50

Reaction Score
Are we bored? Different teams will get different set-ups, especially if we hit the floor running and shooting and dominating.

Reaction Score
I'll bite, too.

First column of numbers is average for an average game, second is for close games. I'm sure my estimates for normal games are compressed, but I'm looking forward to seeing all these players and hope most of them average double-digit minutes.

I think the lineup I'd most like to see on the floor is Muhl, Bueckers, (Fudd or Ducharme), Poffenbarger, and Edwards. That would be probably the best passing ever seen in a NCAA game.

Westbrook1725
Nelson-Ododa1518
Williams2530
Juhasz1520
Griffin105
Bueckers3033
Edwards2025
Muhl2020
McLean50
Gabriel20
Fudd2020
Poffenbarger82
Ducharme82
DeBerry50

No way Fudd is only getting 20 minutes in big games. Depending on her health she is getting at least 30 minutes in big games. It depends how close the game is.

Reaction Score
No way Fudd is only getting 20 minutes in big games. Depending on her health she is getting at least 30 minutes in big games. It depends how close the game is.
You could very well be right. But, let's wait and see what Geno decides, and see how she does in actual games. We all hoped for the same thing last year with Paige, but didn't commit to her assuming a huge role on the team until she proved she deserved it. Azzi has to go through the same process. I'm a fan of Azzi and I wish her the very best, but she hasn't been tested in a college game yet - we all know it's faster, stronger, more intimidating and the pressure is extremely high. (And no, international FIBA U19 doesn't really count). UConn has some major competition early this season, and how she responds to that is going to determine how "no way" plays out. If she puts up consistent double digits against quality, ranked teams then we'll know.

Reaction Score
You could very well be right. But, let's wait and see what Geno decides, and see how she does in actual games. We all hoped for the same thing last year with Paige, but didn't commit to her assuming a huge role on the team until she proved she deserved it. Azzi has to go through the same process. I'm a fan of Azzi and I wish her the very best, but she hasn't been tested in a college game yet - we all know it's faster, stronger, more intimidating and the pressure is extremely high. (And no, international FIBA U19 doesn't really count). UConn has some major competition early this season, and how she responds to that is going to determine how "no way" plays out. If she puts up consistent double digits against quality, ranked teams then we'll know.

I hear ya. This is just fun. But---

Last year we got the number 1 recruit that was regarded as a super-supreme player. Heck, even Geno was getting questions about her being off-the-charts from Lobo. There are some posters that rightfully are very cautious - and were so even with her. That's their nature. That's a certain philosophy for some and that is fine. But just because some were cautious doesn't mean others who were extremely confident have to be also. If they were extremely confident, why should they hold back their opinion? It's just an opinion.

Of course, I had no idea Paige would be so great as a frosh but I knew she was at a different level than the prior number 1's UCONN got the prior 2 years. So while I wasn't preaching Paige to start - I thought she was going to be absolutely terrific though as a frosh. And I think that way with Azzi too. Anything from Honorable Mention A/a to A/A at some level because UCONN is going to find her open "a lot." I didn’t understand the skepticism of at least not believing that Paige would be terrific last year (again no way was I saying 1st team A/a or POY etc. but I did make posts stating she was MVP in U19 over a player like Boston.), and I don't understand if there is any with Azzi. So what do I say to that? I'm no different than those predicting UCONN to win a title, or get to the FF, or predicting who will be A/a or predicting all the players who will get minutes, or who will start etc.

If I believe Azzi is going to be absolutely terrific - I can't see rewarding an absolutely terrific guard just 20 minutes. SO it's just a prediction. No malice intended.

Reaction Score
I hear ya. This is just fun. But---

Last year we got the number 1 recruit that was regarded as a super-supreme player. Heck, even Geno was getting questions about her being off-the-charts from Lobo. There are some posters that rightfully are very cautious - and were so even with her. That's their nature. That's a certain philosophy for some and that is fine. But just because some were cautious doesn't mean others who were extremely confident have to be also. If they were extremely confident, why should they hold back their opinion? It's just an opinion.

Of course, I had no idea Paige would be so great as a frosh but I knew she was at a different level than the prior number 1's UCONN got the prior 2 years. So while I wasn't preaching Paige to start - I thought she was going to be absolutely terrific though as a frosh. And I think that way with Azzi too. Anything from Honorable Mention A/a to A/A at some level because UCONN is going to find her open "a lot." I didn’t understand the skepticism of at least not believing that Paige would be terrific last year (again no way was I saying 1st team A/a or POY etc. but I did make posts stating she was MVP in U19 over a player like Boston.), and I don't understand if there is any with Azzi. So what do I say to that? I'm no different than those predicting UCONN to win a title, or get to the FF, or predicting who will be A/a or predicting all the players who will get minutes, or who will start etc.

If I believe Azzi is going to be absolutely terrific - I can't see rewarding an absolutely terrific guard just 20 minutes. SO it's just a prediction. No malice intended.
No malice taken. Goodness no.

I hear what you're saying. I'm very excited to see Paige and Azzi show, because if it comes together the way I think it will, it has potential to be historic. Mix in Christen, Nika, Aaliyah, Dorka, ONO, and Evina and true magic could happen. And while I feel that it will be something special, as the Paige show was last year, I'm one who will wait to get too excited until I see real possibility based on true competition when it counts. I still get pumped up about the possibilities, but I'm old enough to have seen far, far too many rookies, first round picks, Heisman winners, and dream kids fall flat on their face or clamp up when faced with the next level of talent. Do I think Azzi will fail? No. Is it a possibility? At this point, yes. But if I was betting man, I'd put my money on her.

If she turns out to be an absolutely terrific guard, then 20 minutes is definitely not enough time on the court. If dreams come true, she and Paige will each be getting about 35 minutes. Let's hope so.

Reaction Score
Since we are in a slow time now, just two two months from the start of official practice, and we have a number of off-topic postings, I feel no need to apologize for again discussing how 200 minutes of playing time will be divided among 14 players. Surely this is just as relevant as OT topics about “what is your favorite flavor of chewing gum” and the hottest prospect for the class of 2027 who goes around wearing an “I Love Geno" t-shirt. And, after all, we have had a number of “Who’s Starting” threads.

This time, however, I will approach the subject from a somewhat different perspective. The caveats, however, are that we really do not know what improvements some players will make during the off-season and how the inevitable injuries will affect playing time. Piath Gabriel, for example, has undergone some non-basketball related surgery and will not be participating in summer practices and this will impede her development. Paige Bueckers has had ankle surgery and also will not be participating in most/all summer activities. What effect might this have on her sophomore season? Likewise Saylor Poffenbarger.

Nevertheless, starting with 200 minutes, what do we know? A few players at the end of the bench, identities not yet determined, although we can make some pretty good guesses, will only play in garbage time and Paige will play 30 minutes. That leaves about 160 minutes to be divided among the other players and how they might be distributed becomes pure conjecture. Since the team has much greater depth than last season, there are a lot more questions about the individuals on the team and how the pieces will come together than for last year. A good deal of the debate prior to last season focused around two questions - was Paige Bueckers going to be the 5th starter and was Nika Muhl good enough to be part of the rotation. A lot of Boneyards voiced negative postings on both these matters. I expect that these minutes will be distributed among the five others in last year’s rotation, plus newcomers Fudd and Juhasz. The basic rotation will probably consist of eight players. What roles Ducharme and Griffin will have remains to be determined.

For the upcoming season, however, we have a number of interesting topics to pontificate about. Is Amari DeBarry good enough to be on the floor for significant minutes or will she basically come off the bench at the end of the game? What will we see from Saylor Poffenbarger in 2021-22? Will she play like a high schooler in over her head or shall we see a confident person who was highly ranked by the rating mavins? Will Aubrey Griffin make major improvements so that she will play more than around 10 minutes per game? Who will have the most minutes at center, ODO or Dorka Juhasz? Which player(s) will be on the floor most after Bueckers? Is Azzi Fudd as good as Paige Bueckers, and so on? Finally, when will certain Boneyarders give Nika Mühl the respect she deserves?

Such will be interesting to contemplate and, if anyone is interested, my favorite gum flavor is spearmint.
You had me til the part about Nika! I haven’t seen anyone disrespecting Nika. What I have seen, is differing views on just how good she really is. These views have ranged from indispensable starter…to hard nosed quality backup ( first or second off the bench). This, in my view, is very far from disrespect! Even those of us who do not believe she should/will start (again,imo), readily agree that she is, and will be, a vital, key part of the eagerly anticipated success of this team over the next three/four seasons. I just don’t see where you are seeing this disrespect? Let’s assume that Azzi is as good or even better than Paige (something I personally have a very hard time seeing). Who sits so Nika can start? Based on our prior assumption, Paige and Azzi start as the two best players on the team. Paige would certainly play at the point, Azzi at the two, Christyn at the three, Evina, AE or Aubrey at the four, and ONO/Dorka at the five. Who sits for Nika? Now perhaps I have simply missed the disrespectful comments and if that is the case, I apologize. However, my argument still stands. I believe that Nika is seen (by virtually everyone on this forum) as a vital, extremely important key to our chances of winning number12 next season! I think most people would agree that having an outstanding backup for the point guard position puts us in the best position personnel wise that we’ve been in for many years!
I prefer Beemans.

Reaction Score
Since I've done "few" of these before, I'm just going to throw some numbers out there for this one. :rolleyes:

1628937975415.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom