Dividing up 200 Minutes | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dividing up 200 Minutes

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Very obscure reference
Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards
I love big band music and enjoy the opportunity to hear it. One. More. Time.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Again, the question about Nika. I think alot of BYers are blinded about the influx of new talent coming in this year, with playing time expectations going out of control. I think the success of Paige and Alya last year has caused our brain to forget what a freshman is, and how long it usually takes to get acclimated to the college game. In Nika, we have a very sound point guard who through sheer determination and grit broke into the starting line up and proved that she belonged. She is the motivating force that gets the other players, and hopefully the fans, excited about playing the game. Nobody can deny what she brings to the team, and maybe this year will be more. We all have voiced our opinion about her reluctance to shoot the ball, so maybe this summer this is something she has corrected. If that is the case, and she can consistently take 10 shots a game, there is no way she won't be starting. There is chemistry when she is on the floor, so I guarantee she will be starting. If another player thinks she is better than she will have plenty of opportunities to prove that. For me, we need her on the floor.

PvP

Reaction Score
Again, the question about Nika. I think alot of BYers are blinded about the influx of new talent coming in this year, with playing time expectations going out of control. I think the success of Paige and Alya last year has caused our brain to forget what a freshman is, and how long it usually takes to get acclimated to the college game. In Nika, we have a very sound point guard who through sheer determination and grit broke into the starting line up and proved that she belonged. She is the motivating force that gets the other players, and hopefully the fans, excited about playing the game. Nobody can deny what she brings to the team, and maybe this year will be more. We all have voiced our opinion about her reluctance to shoot the ball, so maybe this summer this is something she has corrected. If that is the case, and she can consistently take 10 shots a game, there is no way she won't be starting. There is chemistry when she is on the floor, so I guarantee she will be starting. If another player thinks she is better than she will have plenty of opportunities to prove that. For me, we need her on the floor.
You just say that "maybe" this summer Nika has suddenly become something she certainly wasn't last year and that you "guarentee she will be starting."

Ok fine. I say that "maybe" Piath will become a scorer along the lines of Wilt Chamberlain and I "guarentee" she will be starting.

Reaction Score
Since we are in a slow time now, just two two months from the start of official practice, and we have a number of off-topic postings, I feel no need to apologize for again discussing how 200 minutes of playing time will be divided among 14 players. Surely this is just as relevant as OT topics about “what is your favorite flavor of chewing gum” and the hottest prospect for the class of 2027 who goes around wearing an “I Love Geno" t-shirt. And, after all, we have had a number of “Who’s Starting” threads.

This time, however, I will approach the subject from a somewhat different perspective. The caveats, however, are that we really do not know what improvements some players will make during the off-season and how the inevitable injuries will affect playing time. Piath Gabriel, for example, has undergone some non-basketball related surgery and will not be participating in summer practices and this will impede her development. Paige Bueckers has had ankle surgery and also will not be participating in most/all summer activities. What effect might this have on her sophomore season? Likewise Saylor Poffenbarger.

Nevertheless, starting with 200 minutes, what do we know? A few players at the end of the bench, identities not yet determined, although we can make some pretty good guesses, will only play in garbage time and Paige will play 30 minutes. That leaves about 160 minutes to be divided among the other players and how they might be distributed becomes pure conjecture. Since the team has much greater depth than last season, there are a lot more questions about the individuals on the team and how the pieces will come together than for last year. A good deal of the debate prior to last season focused around two questions - was Paige Bueckers going to be the 5th starter and was Nika Muhl good enough to be part of the rotation. A lot of Boneyards voiced negative postings on both these matters. I expect that these minutes will be distributed among the five others in last year’s rotation, plus newcomers Fudd and Juhasz. The basic rotation will probably consist of eight players. What roles Ducharme and Griffin will have remains to be determined.

For the upcoming season, however, we have a number of interesting topics to pontificate about. Is Amari DeBarry good enough to be on the floor for significant minutes or will she basically come off the bench at the end of the game? What will we see from Saylor Poffenbarger in 2021-22? Will she play like a high schooler in over her head or shall we see a confident person who was highly ranked by the rating mavins? Will Aubrey Griffin make major improvements so that she will play more than around 10 minutes per game? Who will have the most minutes at center, ODO or Dorka Juhasz? Which player(s) will be on the floor most after Bueckers? Is Azzi Fudd as good as Paige Bueckers, and so on? Finally, when will certain Boneyarders give Nika Mühl the respect she deserves?

Such will be interesting to contemplate and, if anyone is interested, my favorite gum flavor is spearmint.
My feeling is that the only thing that separates a human chewing gum from a cow chewing its cud is the intelligent expression on the cow. My Number One wish for the coming season in any sport that tv broadcasters not show middle aged coaches (or older) frantically chewing like a teenage girl.

Reaction Score
I will try from a different perspective. First in my opinion there are six returning starters, both Nika and Alliyah could be considered returning starters. Remember earlier in the season when Anna went out, we went with Aaliyah, she did not have a good first game in the starting lineup, and then Nika settled in. When Nika was injured Aaliyah stepped in and this time played like the long term answer at the 4. When Nika was available, but probably still hampered by injury against Arizona, Aaliyah started and Nika came off the bench.

So what we don't really know is if the Arizona game was a week later and Nika was 100%, who the starter would have been, it could have been either. Regardless those 6 seem assured of regular minutes in contested games. Among returnees I would also include Aubrey for regular but limited minutes. Probably more limited than last year because Aaliyah might be a full time starter at the 4, and even if she doesn't start will play a much higher percentage of her minutes at the 4, unlike last year when she also needed to be Liv's principal backup. Still Aubrey is a very good proven backup 4.

So that puts me at 7 before considering the newcomers and how much the rotation might be expanded. I can't imagine a scenario where Azzi and Dorka are not part of the rotation since they are considered potential starters by many, so to me a rotation of 9 is more of a minimum than a maximum. Going beyond that is much more problematic, but I think the best chance at making it a 10 player rotation is CD, but she would probably need to be playing at a very high level to make that happen.

Ideally she could be the backup 3, behind Evina, with a little different skill-set and give us a deadly three point shooter there. Her challenge is Azzi could play as an undersized 3 with a great outside shot, Christyn could move over there, and if you wanted more defense and rebounding Aubrey could play there a little too. So Paige, Nika, Christyn, Azzi and Evina could easily handle positions 1-3 without needing a 6th. At 6-2 and long I think she would be a natural 3, but since her minutes would probably come at the expense of the previously mentioned 5 it might be an up hill battle, but I am rooting for it.

Obviously despite their talent and potential that leaves Amari, Piath, Mir and Saylor with mop-up minutes in most games, short of injuries. I would love to see us press and run more and find a reason to make them relevant at least in the conference games, but given Geno's track record I see a rotation of 9 and possibly 10 in big games.

Reaction Score
This year impossible to figure out minute distribution. Too many questions - newcomers that can threaten - along with injuries.

IMO there are 3 players that can drastically change minute distribution from the year before--

Azzi and Evina-- both have injury issues as well. Azzi not playing a full season in the past 2-- how many is she going to get. I think 25+ is about right. In big games on average more if close. Evina - comes down to her health.
And who knows the level of play we are going to get from Dorka. Pretty good is assured. But it could be much, much. much more.

I prefer in big, close games a short bench. The more terrific players you have that are A/A and potential A/a caliber- a lot less likely you are going to see them wear down. Super star/ a/a caliber players overall will wipe out an opposing team's 9th or 10th best player. Especially perimeter players. Force the other team to use their 9th or 10th best players against our top-tier elite players.

Reaction Score
You could very well be right. But, let's wait and see what Geno decides, and see how she does in actual games. We all hoped for the same thing last year with Paige, but didn't commit to her assuming a huge role on the team until she proved she deserved it. Azzi has to go through the same process. I'm a fan of Azzi and I wish her the very best, but she hasn't been tested in a college game yet - we all know it's faster, stronger, more intimidating and the pressure is extremely high. (And no, international FIBA U19 doesn't really count). UConn has some major competition early this season, and how she responds to that is going to determine how "no way" plays out. If she puts up consistent double digits against quality, ranked teams then we'll know.
I committed to Bueckers starting as a freshman for what ever college team she chose three years ago............not that difficult to see........she would have started for just about any college team when she was a junior in high school..........without all of her injuries, I originally had the same feeling about Fudd..........I still believe she starts for UConn from game one if she is 100% healthy.......

Reaction Score
I will try from a different perspective. First in my opinion there are six returning starters, both Nika and Alliyah could be considered returning starters. Remember earlier in the season when Anna went out, we went with Aaliyah, she did not have a good first game in the starting lineup, and then Nika settled in. When Nika was injured Aaliyah stepped in and this time played like the long term answer at the 4. When Nika was available, but probably still hampered by injury against Arizona, Aaliyah started and Nika came off the bench.

So what we don't really know is if the Arizona game was a week later and Nika was 100%, who the starter would have been, it could have been either. Regardless those 6 seem assured of regular minutes in contested games. Among returnees I would also include Aubrey for regular but limited minutes. Probably more limited than last year because Aaliyah might be a full time starter at the 4, and even if she doesn't start will play a much higher percentage of her minutes at the 4, unlike last year when she also needed to be Liv's principal backup. Still Aubrey is a very good proven backup 4.

So that puts me at 7 before considering the newcomers and how much the rotation might be expanded. I can't imagine a scenario where Azzi and Dorka are not part of the rotation since they are considered potential starters by many, so to me a rotation of 9 is more of a minimum than a maximum. Going beyond that is much more problematic, but I think the best chance at making it a 10 player rotation is CD, but she would probably need to be playing at a very high level to make that happen.

Ideally she could be the backup 3, behind Evina, with a little different skill-set and give us a deadly three point shooter there. Her challenge is Azzi could play as an undersized 3 with a great outside shot, Christyn could move over there, and if you wanted more defense and rebounding Aubrey could play there a little too. So Paige, Nika, Christyn, Azzi and Evina could easily handle positions 1-3 without needing a 6th. At 6-2 and long I think she would be a natural 3, but since her minutes would probably come at the expense of the previously mentioned 5 it might be an up hill battle, but I am rooting for it.

Obviously despite their talent and potential that leaves Amari, Piath, Mir and Saylor with mop-up minutes in most games, short of injuries. I would love to see us press and run more and find a reason to make them relevant at least in the conference games, but given Geno's track record I see a rotation of 9 and possibly 10 in big games.
I think Ducharme will get some minutes as a freshman as the designated zone buster off the bench........obviously the better she shoots the more she plays.........

Reaction Score
I think Ducharme will get some minutes as a freshman as the designated zone buster off the bench........obviously the better she shoots the more she plays.........

Just curious- isn't Azzi "a zone buster?" And Paige is a tremendous shooter. Isn't she a zone buster?
And once Nike got her feet wet- she shot over 37% from 3.

They need a zone buster considering they have these 3?

The other two CWill and Evina are not bad.

Reaction Score
Just curious- isn't Azzi "a zone buster?" And Paige is a tremendous shooter. Isn't she a zone buster?
And once Nike got her feet wet- she shot over 37% from 3.

They need a zone buster considering they have these 3?

The other two CWill and Evina are not bad.
yes PB and can consistently shoot it well (Nika a bit too streaky) but you know there will be times during the season when even the best shooters cool off and if the defense is packing it in Ducharme may be the right answer.........you can never have too many great outside shooters......

Reaction Score
I committed to Bueckers starting as a freshman for what ever college team she chose three years ago............not that difficult to see........she would have started for just about any college team when she was a junior in high school..........without all of her injuries, I originally had the same feeling about Fudd..........I still believe she starts for UConn from game one if she is 100% healthy.......
I know what you're saying about Paige. I'm sure you probably watched her play much more than I did back in high school. But even Geno after watching her for a few years was seriously considering bringing her in off the bench to begin with. It wasn't until after a couple of weeks of practice that he decided "...she's the best player on the team." He talked about how many number one recruits had come to UConn, and how they weren't really starting material at first. Just glad you and I ended up with the right call in the end.

As for Azzi, if she stays healthy, then the sky's the limit. But injury is something that can bite anyone at any time. Fingers crossed...

Reaction Score
yes PB and can certainly shoot it well but you know there will be times during the season when even the best shooters cool off and if the defense is packing it in Ducharme may be the right answer.........you can never have too many great outside shooters......

But it would have to be many shooters. And how do you prepare for this at the defensive end? If they have 1 bad game - or 2 - won't the next one scare you to death to play the zone?

Paige and Azzi aren't just "pretty good 3 pt shooters."

The point is - a lot will have to go wrong and the team giving UCONN the tough game that they play zone and force the need for a zone buster.

There are 2 supreme shooters.
One good shooter.
Two "not bad" shooters.
And Dorka.

There are 5 maybe 6 possibilities beyond CD each game.

I doubt the other team might start the game in a zone - so if UCONN isn't shooting well - it would have to be very unusual to go to zone during the game knowing that you might get them hot by playing different. Same with a sagging man-to-man defense.
==========================================

Well I suppose one game. And secondly, in games UCONN wins comfortably- not necessarily a blowout but not in danger of losing - yeah I suppose so too.

Reaction Score
I think there’s no way Azzi starts her first game at Uconn (unless others are injured). She’s a kid who’s voiced that she can be very nervous and that it shows. And if you’ve been watching the u19 team, you could see she was a little nervous the first few games. That’s too much pressure on her and for no reason when we have quality returning starters. Will she start by the end of her freshman year? I think, if anything, that would be more likely.

Reaction Score
I think there’s no way Azzi starts her first game at Uconn (unless others are injured). She’s a kid who’s voiced that she can be very nervous and that it shows. And if you’ve been watching the u19 team, you could see she was a little nervous the first few games. That’s too much pressure on her and for no reason when we have quality returning starters. Will she start by the end of her freshman year? I think, if anything, that would be more likely.
Or you start her 1st game so when you do have a big game - she'll already be comfortable starting?

Reaction Score
Or you start her 1st game so when you do have a big game - she'll already be comfortable starting?
Yeah I’m honestly not sure. I just personally don’t think there’s even a need to start her with the players we have coming back. I think it’ll be really helpful to have a scoring spark come off the bench

Reaction Score
Yeah I’m honestly not sure. I just personally don’t think there’s even a need to start her with the players we have coming back. I think it’ll be really helpful to have a scoring spark come off the bench
I'm not sure either.

That's why I like these discussions a lot. You get to read different people's opinions on player's and the type of styles others prefer. In regards to who to play generally I prefer to play your best, but I understand other too. Not only firepower, but other factors too like foul trouble as such with AE last year.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
You just say that "maybe" this summer Nika has suddenly become something she certainly wasn't last year and that you "guarentee she will be starting."

Ok fine. I say that "maybe" Piath will become a scorer along the lines of Wilt Chamberlain and I "guarentee" she will be starting.
Obviously you aren't a Nika fan, but why so hostile? If she does do what I said, she will start. By the way, if Piath becomes a scorer like the stilt, she will start too.

Reaction Score
But it would have to be many shooters. And how do you prepare for this at the defensive end? If they have 1 bad game - or 2 - won't the next one scare you to death to play the zone?

The point is - a lot will have to go wrong and the team giving UCONN the tough game that they play zone and force the need for a zone buster.

One good shooter.
Two "not bad" shooters.
And Dorka.

I doubt the other team might start the game in a zone - so if UCONN isn't shooting well - it would have to be very unusual to go to zone during the game knowing that you might get them hot by playing different. Same with a sagging man-to-man defense.

Well I suppose one game. And secondly, in games UCONN wins comfortably- not necessarily a blowout but not in danger of losing - yeah I suppose so too.
this year's team has a wealth of offensive options, Ducharme is just one of many..........if she's as good a shooter and as competitive a player as Geno thinks she is, he will find her some minutes...........another good long range shooter (and Ducharme can easily hit from the men's three point line) is invaluable during the course of a long season.......

Reaction Score

One good shooter.
Two "not bad" shooters.
And Dorka.

doesn't have to be against a zone defense...........you know that every team will try to take Bueckers and Fudd out of the game as best they can (good luck) leaving the other three players with more open shots...........what if CW or EW are having off shooting nights which does happen from time to time.........couldn't DuCharme come in and fill their roles temporarily too?

Reaction Score
this year's team has a wealth of offensive options, Ducharme is just one of many..........if she's as good a shooter and as competitive a player as Geno thinks she is, he will find her some minutes...........another good long range shooter (and Ducharme can easily hit from the men's three point line) is invaluable during the course of a long season.......
I have no doubts she'll play in games. But skeptical in big tight games, -other than 1 tight, big game something extremely unusual happens. Foul trouble?

The point is-- everything you've said - UCONN already has. They have 5 players to fill 3 positions. That accounts for the depth.

And the quality of the 5 players overall is off-the-charts.

So why wouldn't the 5 players get all the minutes if they are better than her? Unless with one big game you just want to experiment or something unusual happens? Why the other big games if the other 5 are better? How are they going to get worn down?

I just believe Geno also thinks the world of Paige, Evina, CWill, Azzi and Nika. So the comment he made of CD is similar to those of his stars is my guess.

Reaction Score
doesn't have to be against a zone defense...........you know that every team will try to take Bueckers and Fudd out of the game as best they can (good luck) leaving the other three players with more open shots...........what if CW or EW are having off shooting nights which does happen from time to time.........couldn't DuCharme come in and fill their roles temporarily too?

Yes but you called her a zone buster. Then spoke of teams packing it in- which is why I included sagging man-to-man.

How many times last year did teams take away Paige? A rare game. Now there are two. And my guess is that the 4 from last year are even better this year. So it will happen even rarer.
Then you have 3 players (including Nika who shot 37% from the floor after she got her feet wet), - what's the chance of all this brick throwing happening with at same time UCONN has that both Paige and Azzi are off and that the other 3 can't convert? Sure Possible - they will probably lose a game this year - but -

If this were to happen let's say vs South Carolina - ofc possible- why wouldn't Geno keep believing that his stars will eventually start hitting shots during the game?

Reaction Score
Basically we had just one elite three point shooter last year in Paige and three OK ones in Christyn, Evina and Nika. By Uconn standards, I think that was pretty weak. This year we add two in the elite category and now have three of each. Unlike last year we could have 2 or even 3 great shooters in the game at the same time. Seeing both sides of this debate, I think a second great three point shooter in the lineup makes a big difference, a third one (with Ducharme) is nice but doesn't have as much impact as the second, particularly if the third guard/wing is "OK" from there.

Ducharme may get specialist minutes for her three point shooting, but to get regular rotation minutes against good teams her overall game would need to approach the level of Evina, Christyn, Azzi or Nika. She does have a mild advantage regarding her size and length, being perhaps a more natural 3 than the others, but granted there are 5 very capable players to handle positions 1-3 without even considering Ducharme, so she has to show she is a very good player overall, not just a great shooter to make Geno consider the possibility of as much as a 10 player rotation.

Reaction Score
UConn has a lot of talented players. Whoever plays best in practice will play the most minutes. In blowouts, they'll be more time for the others. Paige, Azzi, Dorka, Aaliyah, and Christyn will get the most minutes later in the year. Evina, Nika, Caroline, Olivia will be first off the bench. Aubrey, Saylor are next. Amari, Mir and Piath follow.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom