Discrepancies in the Bubble/Treatment of men vs women (merged) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Discrepancies in the Bubble/Treatment of men vs women (merged)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
For what it’s worth, the NCAA has been moving weight training equipment into the WBB hotel feverishly over the past day or so. While it doesn’t change their initial tone-deaf ignorance, I guess it’s better late than never.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
The NCAA is embarrassed only because they have been called out for their carelessness. They planned this debacle and knew full well they were treating the women disrespectfully. Their contrite words ring hollow. The whole institution is insensitive to gender fairness. Nothing will change until the people in charge change. We have a clear picture of who they are at present and it's always been this way. Who do they think they are kidding by scrambling to make amends?

Go UConn! Pick up our men and show who has the ability to look beyond the naysayers.

Reaction Score
The big story of the tournament this year has to do with the incredibly different level of facilities provided to the men and women at this year's tournament. To cite just two examples, the men got a weight room with a full array of wrights and equipment. The women got one set of dumbbells and nine yoga mats. The men eat at buffets. The women get lunches in boxes.
It was so bad that Dick's Sporting Goods saw a PR opportunity and said they would send truckloads of equipment for the women.

Two NCAAs turkey named Lynn Holtzman (VP of women's Basketball Operations) Dan Gavitt (VP of Men's Basketball Operations) (wonder if any relation to the fabled Dave, hmmm?) apologized and said they "dropped the ball." Hell, they don't even know what the ball looks like.

Here's what Gavitt said:
"We have intentionally organized basketball under one umbrella (at the NCAA) to ensure consistency and collaboration," Gavitt wrote, per the statement. "When we fall short on these expectations, it's on me.
"I apologize to the women's basketball student-athletes, coaches and the women's basketball committee for dropping the ball on the weight rooms in San Antonio."

Notice, please , that this does not address the food issue. Cute, yes? But wait. There's more.

Yahoo Sports, which has been covering the hell out of this issue, also said that "Connecticut women's coach Geno Auriemma told reporters on a video conference Thursday that men's teams are receiving daily PCR COVID-19 testing while women's teams are being administered daily antigen tests.PCR tests are more sensitive and can be more accurate than antigen tests, which tend to be more accurate."

How could Gavitt and the others responsible for this travesty not realize that the disparity would be recognized and protested,? After all, every player, male and female, has a phone with a camera and the ability to post on social media, as Sedona Prince of Oregon did to get the ball rolling. So they should have known and they still let this happen. Gavitt and the others need to be fired and replaced with leaders who are full members of this century.

And it doesn't end there. Dawn Staley wrote an interesting piece in which she reminded us all that in the NCAA, the term "March Madness" is reserved for the men only. There was a fascinating piece on Yahoo Sports about the systemic sexism that is built into the NCAA. It is an eye-opener\, an di highly recommend it.

Reaction Score
The big story of the tournament this year has to do with the incredibly different level of facilities provided to the men and women at this year's tournament. To cite just two examples, the men got a weight room with a full array of wrights and equipment. The women got one set of dumbbells and nine yoga mats. The men eat at buffets. The women get lunches in boxes.
It was so bad that Dick's Sporting Goods saw a PR opportunity and said they would send truckloads of equipment for the women.

Two NCAAs turkey named Lynn Holtzman (VP of women's Basketball Operations) Dan Gavitt (VP of Men's Basketball Operations) (wonder if any relation to the fabled Dave, hmmm?) apologized and said they "dropped the ball." Hell, they don't even know what the ball looks like.

Here's what Gavitt said:

Notice, please , that this does not address the food issue. Cute, yes? But wait. There's more.

Yahoo Sports, which has been covering the hell out of this issue, also said that "Connecticut women's coach Geno Auriemma told reporters on a video conference Thursday that men's teams are receiving daily PCR COVID-19 testing while women's teams are being administered daily antigen tests.PCR tests are more sensitive and can be more accurate than antigen tests, which tend to be more accurate."

How could Gavitt and the others responsible for this travesty not realize that the disparity would be recognized and protested,? After all, every player, male and female, has a phone with a camera and the ability to post on social media, as Sedona Prince of Oregon did to get the ball rolling. So they should have known and they still let this happen. Gavitt and the others need to be fired and replaced with leaders who are full members of this century.

And it doesn't end there. Dawn Staley wrote an interesting piece in which she reminded us all that in the NCAA, the term "March Madness" is reserved for the men only. There was a fascinating piece on Yahoo Sports about the systemic sexism that is built into the NCAA. It is an eye-opener\, an di highly recommend it.

I also want to reiterate, that which I posted yesterday in this thread, that UCONN's Athletic director, Dave Benedict appears not to have said or done anything worthwhile either, other than post 'default' responses. Why do our coaches and players have to be the ones that address issues like this? This is the job of administrators. At the very least Dave should be up in arms about the different testing procedures!

Reaction Score
I also want to reiterate, that which I posted yesterday in this thread, that UCONN's Athletic director, Dave Benedict appears not to have said or done anything worthwhile either, other than post 'default' responses. Why do our coaches and players have to be the ones that address issues like this? This is the job of administrators. At the very least Dave should be up in arms about the different testing procedures!
Benedict's probably still in denial he extended Edsall!!! Good grief!!!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Yeah - the NCAA is a semi autonomous organization created by universities and colleges from D1 down to D3. There are other similar organization NAIA for example but the NCAA dwarfs them. So colleges can hide behind the NCAA, but the bottom line is they, as a collective own this mess, just as much as Gavitt, Holtzman, and Emmert. And that starts with P5 Universities which have out-sized influence and P5 Athletic Directors. I was disappointed that Uconn's AD and President weren't more forceful.

The college and professional athletes of both genders are leading this outrage. I am also disappointed that more men's coaches haven't gone on record and that ADs and University presidents aren't expressing outrage. That this was actually included in the tournament handbook and not one athletic department raised the issue prior to the opening, and it took a student athlete to call attention to it is disheartening.

Just a reminder: this kind of issue is also influenced by every graduate of every school when they make their decision about their alumnae donation checks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom