Discrepancies in the Bubble/Treatment of men vs women (merged) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Discrepancies in the Bubble/Treatment of men vs women (merged)

Reaction Score
If they had chosen Las Vegas, they could have had the food service done by a hotel buffet, which 99.9% have better food then most college facilities. Many of the weight rooms would be like a private gym. All 64 teams and staff could have been housed in one or two of the closed hotels on the Strip.
Well, Vegas is where the Pac-12 women's and men's tournament was played....women played at Michelob Ultra Arena, formerly known as Mandalay Bay Events Center and the men played at the T-Mobile Arena. I can assume both the women's and men's teams had really good food then??

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
That is such a bad look for the NCAA. I mean, they had MONTHS to prepare for this. Completely unacceptable.
Ooops. I should have read ALL the posts in the thread before posting. Joni Taylor's statement puts a different spin on things, for sure.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
When you lay off the NCAA's misdeeds to stupidity you are giving them a pass. Time and time again the NCAA brass has revealed their sole motivation is venality and ,at times, they are totally brazen about it. Recall a few years ago when a star quarterback and his dad were caught accepting wads of dough. What did the NCAA do? They deferred a decision until the de facto national championship was played.

Reaction Score
I wonder which is better: the NCAA food or the food dished out at the M*A*S*H 4077 mess hall ... :confused:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Well, Vegas is where the Pac-12 women's and men's tournament was played....women played at Michelob Ultra Arena, formerly known as Mandalay Bay Events Center and the men played at the T-Mobile Arena. I can assume both the women's and men's teams had really good food then??
This year 5 separate conferences had their women's and men's tournaments here in Vegas. The Big West, Mountain West, Pac-12, West Coast, and Western Athletic Conferences. The Big West was added this year due to the restrictions in California, but the other 4 have been here ranging from 4 to 10 years. The kids love Vegas, maybe not as much this year because of COVID. A friend of mine who used to work at the Golden Nugget said that they would have one of the large conference rooms for a women's team from theMW. They would have all their meetings, meals, and even had a mini weight room in it. They would also have one meal at one of the restaurants every year the first night that they arrived for the tournament. He said that the young ladies always seemed to be enjoying themselves and most of the time represented their school very well. The Pac-12 supposedly cut their tournament costs in half, (Washington) or even more, (California) depending what State the tournament was held prior to coming to Vegas.

Reaction Score
Has anyone seen anywhere this NCAA Operations Manual that was sent to all the Tournament teams?

If this manual said that only 5-lb dumbbells would be provided (per GA Tech), I wonder what only questionable points were in this document?

Reaction Score
Not to be cavalier about a serious issue but the surprise to me is that anyone is surprised. The NCAA and universities have been exploiting athletes for decades while cranking out their “student athlete” PR machines for the TV cameras. They have been more than willing to oversee the evolution of football and men’s basketball into money making minor leagues for the NBA and NFL, looking the other way as long as they get their cut, education be damned. Equality exists only in the fantasy world of TV commercials, it holds no place in our institutions of higher learning.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno, CD and CW heard from:

“What’s happening at the NCAA level, I think, that’s a small sample of what occurs every single day on every college campus pretty much throughout this country,” Auriemma said. “We’re very fortunate at UConn, but it used to be that way. I spent 20-some years here battling the same things, whether or not we could get treated equally.

“Throughout the country, women’s coaches have battled to try to get what coaches feel are things that I need to be successful. There’s a big picture there that for a lot of coaches in women’s sports, not just women’s basketball, that work just as hard as any other coach in America, and are successful and are doing an incredible job, and they’re doing it with the resources that you would say are less than adequate relative to what the men might have. And that’s at every school.

“I don’t think [the NCAA Tournament bubble in San Antonio is] doing anything that you would say, ‘wow, that’s just completely out of the ordinary.’ It just follows with kind of the way things are, the way they’ve always been.”

CD:

“I try to balance it with our players where, you’ve worked hard and you’ve earned this, and is it fair? No. But that can’t keep you from moving forward and presenting it to the public and giving it a platform that for somebody — it might not be you, it might be somebody after you — that’s going to benefit more. But that’s part of being a woman, and being in sports, and taking a stand and making a statement so that it may not always help you, but it’s certainly going to help someone that comes after you.”

Reaction Score
Why the differences? Simple answer, even if you don't like it, the men's tourney generates substantially higher $$$ from the networks due to significantly higher audience ratings. Simple economics to the NCAA brass, however, it gives them a big black eye in the tone def category.
Well, if that’s the rule, then that should be applied to USWNT soccer, cuz our women get higher ratings, in the us and internationally. I think the change has to start at the top, and not program the women’s tournament as a second priority, perhaps embed the scheduling of games and not wait to start two days later. Second big action would be to spend equal marketing dollars. Is March Madness (today) bigger for men because of quality of the product (wrestle, wrestle, dunk) or number of marketing dollars? I think I’ve seen literally 100s or 1000s of commercials for the men’s tournament but not sure if I’ve seen any for the women’s tournament, which is a shame, cuz people are missing quite a show.

Reaction Score
Revenue isn't profit. You have to INVEST to get a return. I'd say that there is quite a disparity between the $ amount invested in the Men's NCAA Tournament vs Women's NCAA Tournament. What would the Women's Tournament be today if the same $ were invested in the Women's Tournament as is invested in the Men's Tournament?
To be fair, we should also compare marketing budgets. If those marketing budgets were equal over a number of years, the top and bottom lines may reach equity, if looked at from a pure business angle.

Reaction Score
Well, if that’s the rule, then that should be applied to USWNT soccer, cuz our women get higher ratings, in the us and internationally. I think the change has to start at the top, and not program the women’s tournament as a second priority, perhaps embed the scheduling of games and not wait to start two days later. Second big action would be to spend equal marketing dollars. Is March Madness (today) bigger for men because of quality of the product (wrestle, wrestle, dunk) or number of marketing dollars? I think I’ve seen literally 100s or 1000s of commercials for the men’s tournament but not sure if I’ve seen any for the women’s tournament, which is a shame, cuz people are missing quite a show.
Fans like Winners

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Ooops. I should have read ALL the posts in the thread before posting. Joni Taylor's statement puts a different spin on things, for sure.
Do you think the same phrase was in the men’s tournament book?
I think all that does is spread the responsibility down the line to all the athletic departments for participating teams in the women's tournament and especially those that were sending teams to both.

Starts with the NCAA who wrote two different handbooks.
Spreads to ADs like those at Georgia which actually read and understood the differences and said nothing and did nothing except quitely ship their own weight room to I assume a hotel room.
And then to those who were maybe blindsided when they arrived because whoever in their athletic department who really read the book didn't think it mattered, because, well, women.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
A little humor in the middle of a very serious issue:

You know ... I just figured this all out. Not sure how Geno infiltrated the NCAA offices and got this women's handbook implemented, but it is yet another brilliant plan of his to distract his players from being affected by the tensions inherent in the NCAA tournament. Call TN The Evil Empire and Pat Darth Vader, squabble with Muffet, call out Duke students as just future waiters/waitresses at higher class restaurants, all designed to take the media focus off his individual players. He is a genius! :confused: :eek: :cool::)

Reaction Score
The NCAA really blew it when they made arrangements for the NCAA'a Final Tournament. The Men's team where given top shelve treatment in regards to quarters ,food & practice facilities. The Women team were given the bottom drawer Treatment . Yes, they made apologies & asked forgiveness. They give the impression that Women's basketball play is of little consequence & not serous like men. May I remind them that it was John Wooden , who said that it is the Women's game which is the only True basketball played, because of the teamwork necessary to score. The anatomy of the 'tendon of Archilles' of a girl is not made for leaping as in a male. It often appears that on many occasions that it nothing more than 2 passes & a 'slam dunk' .Team work ?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom