Discrepancies in the Bubble/Treatment of men vs women (merged) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Discrepancies in the Bubble/Treatment of men vs women (merged)

Reaction Score
Appalling behavior by the upper management in the NCAA etc etc. . The real question is whether or not the main stream media exposes the blatant misbehavior now on prime time. Never listen to the talk, always watch the behavior.

Reaction Score

Most of the items in these swag bags are promotional and/or donated by Manufacturers and not paid for by the NCAA. This is more a reflection of how Business perceives the marketing value of WCBB. The NCAA could certainly do a better job of soliciting items for the bags. Perhaps saying that if you want to include something in the Men's bag, you have to include something for the Women's.

Reaction Score
I had better chow while going through basic training at Fort Ord than it appears the women are getting in San Antonio. How can that be? ?
Chow hall at Fort Bliss in the 80s was as the kids say “fire”. Hey maybe some MREs? Lol I loved the chicken cacciatore!!

Reaction Score
As a fan of WCBB I am appalled. The women have gained little to not much, over the span of time since Title IX. Hosts are what they are.

Things are far from perfect. But women have gained massively from Title IX. There are tens of thousands of examples.

Reaction Score
Outrageous! When will we learn to treat everyone equally? Where is the

Division I Women’s Basketball Oversight Committee.​

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Uh oh. Venturing into dangerous waters here by disparaging the "kitchen help." Are you suggesting that the "help" is generally not discerning and usually doesn't care what slop is offered them? They're just like Dickens' orphans who hold out their bowl and say, "More gruel, please." Tch, tch.
I think you should reread the post you are disparaging. He inferred that the " kitchen help" would likely be too discerning to eat what the young ladies are being offered. I do not see the insult you have inferred. And young Oliver was not plaintively asking for something delicious, but just something to fill his stomach rather than please his palate. Tch,tch! ;)

Reaction Score
I fumed about this for a while before drafting my reply. As a woman, I know all too well what it’s like to be treated as second-class. I’ve had male bosses tell me I would be more successful if I would dress sexier, smile more, or do more things to help them succeed. I’ve been told I should do a job for two or three years at a lower rate of pay and then they would consider paying me fairly for it. I’ve been told by a male boss that women cannot compete in business because they do not learn how to compete in sports. I‘ve spent a lifetime hoping that things will be better for the next generation. There was a story in a national media outlet the other day that implied that the woman who would benefit the most from the NCAA allowing players to profit from the images were the ones who are the prettiest or sexiest. 50 years after the failed attempt at ratifying ERA, women still are not valued equally as people. In my opinion, the only way we will get to equality is when both men and women decide they will accept nothing less. In the meantime, our institutions must do a better job of setting an example and showing leadership. I don’t believe that not one person in the NCAA considered that there would be some public outcry over the unequal treatment. I think it’s much more likely that they considered it and just didn’t care.

Reaction Score
You are 100% correct!! Why do the men get the best of everything, and the women are given substandard accommodations and food the kitchen help wouldn’t eat?

Someone didn’t do their due diligence. The March madness tournament is the biggest and most watched (covered by the news media) event during the year. Millions of dollars are made from this tournament. How can there be such a H-U-G-E gap in accommodations and the quality of food served? This is unacceptable under any circumstances.

If San Antonio (or any other location) that is being considered as a host can’t provide the same quality of accommodations and food service that the men get, it should not be on the list of the tournament’s potential sites. How hard is it to vet potential sites prior to awarding them a tournament? ?

Why the differences? Simple answer, even if you don't like it, the men's tourney generates substantially higher $$$ from the networks due to significantly higher audience ratings. Simple economics to the NCAA brass, however, it gives them a big black eye in the tone def category.

Reaction Score
One really absurd difference in the swag bags is that the men received the 500-piece NCAA jigsaw puzzle while the women got the 150-piece one.
Don't know why they did that, unless someone at the head office thought the bigger one might be too complicated for the wimmins :eek:

Reaction Score
Why the differences? Simple answer, even if you don't like it, the men's tourney generates substantially higher $$$ from the networks due to significantly higher audience ratings. Simple economics to the NCAA brass, however, it gives them a big black eye in the tone def category.
So if that’s the case then, it should mean that the men’s teams that produce less revenue should be given inferior treatment. Since we know that’s not true, I call BS.

Reaction Score
If they had provided zero weights, I think it would have stuck out less than what they did.

With no weights provided, you might think that they were half-assing it. But with that single lonely dumbbell rack, you see that someone thought that the women might want some weights in the practice area...but then provided the bare minimum. So it's not even half-assed - it's more like one-tenth assed. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I am just speculating but I wouldn't be shocked if it was the financial office, those who have to sign off on the expenditures, was told to "cut10%" and "training equipment" was simply eliminated to help stay on budget and the rack was what was hastily provided when the "non-financial" people realized what had been done. That same financial official hasn't the power to do that to the men, who provide a billion dollars through their TV contract. The BS about a lack room is just that BS and I'm glad that today's social media is there to point that out. The days of making some cavalier response are over. Or will those who reported the BS be banned from social media as "conspiracy nuts" or "athletic terrorists"? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I think you should reread the post you are disparaging. He inferred that the " kitchen help" would likely be too discerning to eat what the young ladies are being offered. I do not see the insult you have inferred. And young Oliver was not plaintively asking for something delicious, but just something to fill his stomach rather than please his palate. Tch,tch! ;)
Well he didn’t really know any better did he? Been a long time since read that.

Reaction Score
One really absurd difference in the swag bags is that the men received the 500-piece NCAA jigsaw puzzle while the women got the 150-piece one.
Don't know why they did that, unless someone at the head office thought the bigger one might be too complicated for the wimmins :eek:
More likely the other way around

Reaction Score
You are 100% correct!! Why do the men get the best of everything, and the women are given substandard accommodations and food the kitchen help wouldn’t eat?

Someone didn’t do their due diligence. The March madness tournament is the biggest and most watched (covered by the news media) event during the year. Millions of dollars are made from this tournament. How can there be such a H-U-G-E gap in accommodations and the quality of food served? This is unacceptable under any circumstances.

If San Antonio (or any other location) that is being considered as a host can’t provide the same quality of accommodations and food service that the men get, it should not be on the list of the tournament’s potential sites. How hard is it to vet potential sites prior to awarding them a tournament? ?
The weight room thing is truly outrageous but apparently the food is bad for everyone. I hadn’t heard about the swag bags?

Reaction Score
Have the "swag bags" always been so different? I wonder if it is a bit of a strain since I doubt that all 64 teams got them in years past. I get that WCBB doesnt have as much sponsorship, but it seems like some things (the puzzles?) are really head scratchers. Alone, however, this wouldnt be that big of a deal.

When they start short-changing the women on stuff they need to do their sport, they are way out of line. No valid excuse for that "weight room". The food issues seem to stem from the difficulties of arranging all this in the bubble. It seems there were food issues on the men's side too, but not as bad? But how the organization can not account for different dietary needs (vegan, religious, medical, etc) is surprising and dumb.

As CD said, they spoke up and steps are being taken. It shouldnt have to take this, but the women got it done!

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
Things are far from perfect. But women have gained massively from Title IX. There are tens of thousands of examples.
Let's see title IX was passed in June1972. That's almost 49 years. When you consider that a LARGE contingent of schools had no programs for women, at that time, tens of thousands of examples and massive may not be much. When you go from nothing to something, all progress is relative. So, relatively speaking, the NCAA has a long way to go to have a situation where fairness is considered acceptable. 49 years!!!!!!! and we haven't arrived at fairness. I understand the men's programs generate $$$$$. I'm not foolish (some in my family may not agree with that statement), I'm not expecting equality yet. I'm certainly expecting fairness.
The least that could be done is to provide necessities. I am guessing the NCAA has no idea what necessary is. I would venture a guess that athletic trainers would deem weights necessary. I would venture a guess that team nutrition is necessary. I'm wondering what the comfort level is, for the women. Are my sights set too high here?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom