"Discouraging" ND Injury News | Page 3 | The Boneyard

"Discouraging" ND Injury News

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It would work better if Turner had someone to emulate Walt Frazier. In the "Willis Reed Game," the Knicks center went on the court heroically (enduring massive pain from a hip injury) and jacked up the home MSG crowd. He even tossed in a long-range shot. Bedlam!

Then Willis sat, Clyde took over and played one of the greatest clutch performances in NBA history. IIRC, something like 36 points and 17 assists to send the Lakers down to defeat. Wow just WOW!

They still call it the "Willis Reed Game." :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Clyde had 36 and 19. It was one of the most memorable games in history. The Lakers team included Jerry West--the NBA logo--and Wilt Chamberlain, possibly the greatest player ever. The Knicks had several future Hall of Famers.

http://www.nba.com/history/finals/19691970.html

Reaction Score
There are some on this board who may be a bit too quick to dismiss ND. If Turner and Reimer are out, they still have a core that could present some real matchup problems for a lot of teams including UConn. e.g., they could still put at least 4 and perhaps 5 players on the floor at one time who are very good perimeter shooters. They could spread the floor and make life miserable if they are making 3's. They'd have some potential matchup issues of their own on the defensive end trying to guard Stewart, Tuck, Williams and maybe Butler in the post, but ND is well coached and usually pretty disciplined. Could UConn win by 30...yes, but if Turner and Reimer can't go, but their guards are making perimeter shots it could still get very interesting. Don't write them off just yet.

Reaction Score
Clyde the Glide was Drexler. and BTW, the referenced game was Game #7 for the NBA Championship. Clyde Frazier also had five steals and the LA team the Knicks beat had Wilt, Jerry West, and Elgin Baylor. An epic game! :)
Wasn't downtown Brown on that team?? Clyde the Glide was on Houston U along with the guy who took on Alcindor. I was pretty busy during those days, 60 top 90 hour weeks--developing air to air/air to ground F-111 weapon systems along with General Dynamics (Fort Worth) in South Windsor.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Bump for latest update. See LINK

Key quote - "Turner...will be out for approximately a month as she tries to avoid season-ending surgery through rehabilitation."

Reimer is a game-time decision for the UConn game.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Key quote - "Turner...will be out for approximately a month as she tries to avoid season-ending surgery through rehabilitation."

I suspect for Turner this is a bad call.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting that Reimer is trying to 'play through' her achilles injury - I have always thought that was a 'shut it down until it is cured' kind of thing rather than a 'manage the pain' issue - obviously ND has solid medical/training staff so I am not questioning the choice, just not something I was aware was an option.
I suspect for Turner this is a bad call.
It sounds like the choice is to delay the choice for a month and see how it responds which I think makes sense - I suspect it is a timing of the surgery question between January and April - if it feels OK she goes back to the brace she had last year and plays the season out - if it doesn't respond/is worse than last year, then she opts for the earlier surgery. If the surgery happens in April then she may miss a few months next season during her rehab which is probably preferable to her and ND, than missing the last three months this year. Morgan dealt with the same kind of question on her knee, but a knee is a lot more difficult to manage because of all the weight and stresses involved and is also more liable to greater damage for the same reason.

Reaction Score
Ugh!! This is such disheartening news, especially for these two great kids, of course, but for the prospects for the game. In competitive sports, few factors offer as much interest and entertainment value as the existence of the most bitter rivalries. At the beginning of the season you mentally circle the date in your calendar. You look forward to that date with the most eager form of anticipation, because, after all, you "hate" the rival team. This isn't anything like playing just another worthy opponent, say, University of South Florida, just to pluck one example out of the air. Why "hate" them? But with ND, it's entirely different, where "hate," with quotation marks, of course, is the applicable word. The quotation marks speak for themselves, but indicate in large part that hate is tempered by, hard though it may be to admit, fear and respect of that rival. How can you enjoy "hating," and maybe defeating, your rival when they're at less than full strength due to injury. ND seems to be bitten by the worst luck of anyone in this regard. Most BY'ers, I'm proud to say, expressed true dismay when Achonwa went down in the stretch run a couple of years ago...now this. Too bad.
I think the psychology of the victory may be diminished with key people not playing or at least limited availability. Clearly UConn is no stranger to the injury bug. At various times we lost Ralph, Bird, Abrosimova, Tuck, and perhaps some I missed. In hindsight that 2001 loss without Svet and Shea may have cost UConn the shot at 4 or 5 NC's in a row. So anyway we can lament the loss that ND appears to have suffered but expect nothing in the UConn effort to change. Those who touted the recruting class of the Irish need them to step up big and fast

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

Well Moffit did refer to a redshirt for Turner. This tells me the prognosis is not good and I think that is obvious. Having to be shut down for the same shoulder within a 12 month period means something serious is wrong. I understand ND's thought process but I'm not sure I agree with it.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

Orang: Refresh us, please: Was this injury the result of a collision or fall last year? Seems like it happened right before the UCONN game.

Reaction Score
There are some on this board who may be a bit too quick to dismiss ND. If Turner and Reimer are out, they still have a core that could present some real matchup problems for a lot of teams including UConn. e.g., they could still put at least 4 and perhaps 5 players on the floor at one time who are very good perimeter shooters. They could spread the floor and make life miserable if they are making 3's. They'd have some potential matchup issues of their own on the defensive end trying to guard Stewart, Tuck, Williams and maybe Butler in the post, but ND is well coached and usually pretty disciplined. Could UConn win by 30...yes, but if Turner and Reimer can't go, but their guards are making perimeter shots it could still get very interesting. Don't write them off just yet.

DePaul....Part Deux

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Orang: Refresh us, please: Was this injury the result of a collision or fall last year? Seems like it happened right before the UCONN game.

The injury last year happened in the Maryland game. She got tied up trying to grab a rebound and the Marland player ripped the ball away.

Reaction Score
The ND girls will come out early fired up on adrenaline! Which will only carry them so far! Close early then UCONN's bigs will take over and lead a charge to a big win, possibly 25 to 30pts.
I don't want to hear "if we had Reimer & Turner we would have beaten UCONN!" Even with those 2 players UCONN would win by 25+ pts.!
As I stated earlier, the only 2 players that would make the 1st 2 teams on UCONN is Turner & Allen!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I think the psychology of the victory may be diminished with key people not playing or at least limited availability. Clearly UConn is no stranger to the injury bug. At various times we lost Ralph, Bird, Abrosimova, Tuck, and perhaps some I missed. In hindsight that 2001 loss without Svet and Shea may have cost UConn the shot at 4 or 5 NC's in a row. So anyway we can lament the loss that ND appears to have suffered but expect nothing in the UConn effort to change. Those who touted the recruting class of the Irish need them to step up big and fast

Thomas, Valley, Chong, Butler, Tina. More. Uconn has not been without physical problems, crossing my fingers and toes. Losing Shea and Svetie I said--there goes the franchise. Sue and Svetie (as Sue calls her) had a large influence for me to spend more time watching Uconn Women vs Uconn Men.

Reaction Score
The ND girls will come out early fired up on adrenaline! Which will only carry them so far! Close early then UCONN's bigs will take over and lead a charge to a big win, possibly 25 to 30pts.
I don't want to hear "if we had Reimer & Turner we would have beaten UCONN!" Even with those 2 players UCONN would win by 25+ pts.!
As I stated earlier, the only 2 players that would make the 1st 2 teams on UCONN is Turner & Allen!

Expect Notre Dame to come to the game ready to play--regardless of who is on the floor. You are correct they will be pushed emotionally to play for the injured ND players and they shall.

Reaction Score
With or without Brianna, a national championship for ND, or for any team not named UConn, is almost certainly not in the cards this season. Seems to me that no decision for Brianna should be made on the basis of short-term goals. If medically feasible, I'd like to see her get her shoulder surgically repaired, redshirt, and come back strong for 2016-17. They've got great recruits and their long-term future is very bright.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
With or without Brianna, a national championship for ND, or for any team not named UConn, is almost certainly not in the cards this season. Seems to me that no decision for Brianna should be made on the basis of short-term goals. If medically feasible, I'd like to see her get her shoulder surgically repaired, redshirt, and come back strong for 2016-17. They've got great recruits and their long-term future is very bright.

As I posted earlier, I agree with you on this one. Of course, we are somewhat shooting in the dark. What we know is that 2 Novembers in a row have produced a shoulder injury. Last year she was playing very successfully January ? on out. Does she have a rotator cuff tear and, if so, how severe. If she has a significant tear a month of rehab will do zip for her. If it's a loose shoulder, you can strengthen the muscles, but it can still fall out. It's a puzzler unless it is simply a strain injury. If she succeeds in making it through the season and then has surgery she's looking at 6 months of recovery- that's November 2016.

Reaction Score
As a loyal GENO Fan--this DePaul game has proven a motivated, well coached team can get close. Geno has said that to win it all and play 6 games in April is a crap shoot, some match up luck is required. However a top team has less luck and more skill.
Still in every game there must be a winner and a loser---if winning was a given, no one would play for the NC.

Reaction Score
As a loyal GENO Fan--this DePaul game has proven a motivated, well coached team can get close. Geno has said that to win it all and play 6 games in April is a crap shoot, some match up luck is required. However a top team has less luck and more skill.
Still in every game there must be a winner and a loser---if winning was a given, no one would play for the NC.
Well, 'tis the reason I used the words "almost certainly."

Reaction Score
Well, 'tis the reason I used the words "almost certainly."
Sorry, I certainly didn't mean to NIT PICK--I detest that so. I wasn't disputing anything you said--except-- As we all have anointed UConn as the next (again) NC--it's nice to remember --it isn't a given. I apologize for appearing to pic nits.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
upload_2015-12-4_12-5-17.png

Behold one form of the beloved nit! :

the egg or young form of a louse or other parasitic insect, especially the egg of a head louse attached to a human hair.

I suspect Orangutan is an expert on nits. :rolleyes:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
upload_2015-12-4_12-11-32.png

The other form of the nit. Of course, before Kib strikes I should acknowledge that an alternative meaning is to pick at some minor foible or defect in a fellow human being, but that did derive from the real nit picking - louse extraction.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Kind of my thought too. If, IF, someone is unfortunate enough to have to redshirt, this is the year to do it. Because I don't think anyone is touching UCONN this year. (knock on wood for injuries).

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Wasn't downtown Brown on that team?? Clyde the Glide was on Houston U along with the guy who took on Alcindor.

"Downtown Freddy " Brown starred for Seattle. That "other guy" was Elvin Hayes. Back to ND's injuries, OK? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
View attachment 11327

Behold one form of the beloved nit! :

the egg or young form of a louse or other parasitic insect, especially the egg of a head louse attached to a human hair.

I suspect Orangutan is an expert on nits. :rolleyes:
Cooties they called them when they wore pooties(sp?). Currently a huge problems in a lot of schools. All the nitpickers are picking nits.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Cooties they called them when they wore pooties(sp?). Currently a huge problems in a lot of schools. All the nitpickers are picking nits.

Big deal as school began this fall in lots of places, because of at least the reason that strains of head lice are evolving resistant to the active ingredients in over the counter preparations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom