Discouraging, But you Never Can Tell... | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Discouraging, But you Never Can Tell...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Fishy...beg to differ.

Tier 3 is anything that is not tier 1 and 2...

That is Tier 3....You may want to define Tier 3 as only TV...but it is far more then that.

UConn gets $8 million?

Cool...that's like UNC's 11 million. Basketball related. I am sure.

Reaction Score
Here's a good article about tier 3 rights and the ACC:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissm...rights-and-why-theyre-killing-the-conference/

The reason why this deal was considered so bad for the ACC is that tier 3 is really valuable for basketball schools. Connecticut, North Carolina, Kentucky, Kansas, etc. make a lot from tier 3 because their fans will watch every game no matter the quality of the opponent, yet a national audience won't, which is why the games are tier 3. Now instead of North Carolina getting to keep all the basketball tier 3 revenue, they have to share it with schools like Wake Forest and Boston College, whose fans don't even bother to watch their tier 1 and 2 games.

Reaction Score
Fishy...beg to differ.

That is Tier 3....You may want to define Tier 3 as only TV...but it is far more then that.

UConn gets $8 million?

ACC schools still get to keep some tier 3 rights, but not the valuable ones. If you're going to count t-shirt sales and other merchandising, you have to count it for everyone to make it a fair comparison.

Reaction Score
The TV tier 3 monies are tied up for the ACC, that is true.

But no one outside of Texas and the Big Ten has yet really monetized Tier 3.

I suspect that the ACC will make less money then some other conferences because of tier 3...and have a lot of exposure.

How that trade off works into the future, only time will tell.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
UConn gets $8 million?

The fact that you can market something other than Red Bull and flip flops to our fan base probably gives us a leg up on Florida State.

No offense intended, of course.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
But no one outside of Texas and the Big Ten has yet really monetized Tier 3..

I don't know the numbers, but didn't Kansas announce something with ESPN as well?

Reaction Score
The fact that you can market something other than Red Bull and flip flops to our fan base probably gives us a leg up on Florida State.

No offense intended, of course.

Heck...WVU is now making gazillions off of Tier 3 beer concession sales at the stadium (and to prove they have class, they now also will offer wine).

FSU's stadium is dry...third tier booze rights must have been sold to ESPN.

Reaction Score
Fishy...beg to differ.

UConn gets $8 million?

UNC's Learfield deal is worth $7.5M annually, less than UConn's $8M. Are you combining their Nike deal? UConn's also got a deal there too.

I can provide links, but I know how you like to search for things like UConn flip flops. . . Actually, I may buy pair.

Reaction Score
Christi Dosh:

"What I can show you is what each school is showing as revenue for broadcasting rights (television, radio and internet) through their responses to open records requests.

This is separate from the money they receive from conference distributions, so it shouldn’t include any broadcasting money received from conference-wide media rights contracts.

The chart below is every school for which I have a value and represents the 2009-2010 school year. Those not listed either showed $0 or did not have to respond to open records requests (either because they’re private or protected by state laws).
1University of North Carolina$11,171,458.00
2University of Alabama$8,444,674.00
University of Kentucky

$7,743,327.00

http://businessofcollegesports.com/2011/05/06/school-specific-broadcasting-revenue/

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Nice list.

Oregon State makes $6M+ and the U. of Oregon make $108,000.

I think the dear girl has failed to compare apples to apples.

Reaction Score
Not really fishy...Not her fault.

It is the line upon which the school places funds in the NCAA report.

For instance...FSU reported $366,000 or so...(they sold baseball games that year that ESPN did not televise). They did not report the ISP monies on that line.

There is some discrepancy between the schools on which line they report which...

Some schools have reported all non conference TV revenue on that line (FSU)...while others have reported all non conference media revenue (coach's shows, field advertising, radio, etc) on that line.

It really is a little of apples and kumquats.

Last edited:

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Kansas has a separate deal with ESPN for Tier 3 stuff. So does Quinnipiac, actually.

Reaction Score
"Due to the Big 12 Conference's deals with ESPN and Fox, live-game broadcasts on TWC Metro Sports "will be offered only to viewers in the state and the Kansas City metro area.

The Jayhawk Network this year will "provide coverage of one football game, six men's basketball games, as many as 16 women's basketball games, nine volleyball matches, eight baseball games and up to 12 live softball, soccer and track and field events."

KU was the "final Big 12 Conference school to sign a contract concerning its Tier-3 television rights."

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This has been the prevailing theory on this board, but to date there has been zero evidence that it is true. The AAC has to date surpassed reasonable expectations.

and before you say attendance drop off at the Rent, that was P's doing and it would have happened even without the destruction of the Big East. When you can't beat Towson a number of fans are going to stay home.

The energy at the Michigan game showed we belong and that won't go away if we are stuck in the AAC for a while.

Its not a 'prevaing theory', it's day one stuff.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Kansas has a separate deal with ESPN for Tier 3 stuff. So does Quinnipiac, actually.

Yeah there is a bit of a difference in those deals. Kansas gets paid and Quinnipiac pays.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I imagine we're largely in agreement. UConn doesn't deliver all of New England today. The point is, the B1G isn't looking to expand in the east based on the revenues they'll collect next month. Gaining and exploiting a dominant position in the northeast megalopolis is a 20-year proposition.

Yes, its about money. More than that, it's about maximizing money. You maximize revenues by delivering quality, not crap. Whatever Rutgers has been and currently is, I doubt that's the plan for the future. The B1G surely knows there are serious risks in their latest undertaking. They also have to realize Rutgers being Rutgers is a big component of those risks. Risky, multi-decade endeavors aren't entered into whimsically.

I believe any invitation to UConn will be held up until the affects of the Rutgers/Maryland acquisition are better understood. If the B1G finds out they can't move the dial on college sports in NYC, there will be a pull back without an invitation to UConn. If their experience over the next few years convinces them the can achieve significant success here, I believe a UConn invite is inevitable because NYC is too large for one team to deliver and hold.

I doubt we are in agreement because UConn will never deliver all of New England. Mass isn't in play and the other states are worthless even if they were.

If Fox owning YES doesn't get BTN carried in NYC.... really you think UConn will? That ship sailed the day that deal was closed.

If you think there is a long play on UConn it's a fantasy. You have to lie to yourself to think differently. Three years in the AAC will kill the program - dead.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
YES brings no leverage whatsoever.

What are they gonna do....threaten to take it off a cable system?

Reaction Score
I doubt we are in agreement because UConn will never deliver all of New England. Mass isn't in play and the other states are worthless even if they were.

If Fox owning YES doesn't get BTN carried in NYC.... really you think UConn will? That ship sailed the day that deal was closed.

If you think there is a long play on UConn it's a fantasy. You have to lie to yourself to think differently. Three years in the AAC will kill the program - dead.

There's no long play on UConn but there was a long play on Rutgers 18 months ago? Sure, that makes sense. UConn isn't the puzzle; they're a piece of the puzzle.

One thing seems certain to me. You are not a man of vision. The future is unlikely to be a replay of the past let alone destined to be. UConn not playing Army in 1945 has little to do with UConn today. Just because the USS 1945 has sailed doesn't mean there aren't, and never will be, more ships. The real killer will be returning those with little understanding and less vision, guys like Hathaway, to positions of power in Storrs.

Reaction Score
ACC schools definitely make less per school than B12 schools or any other P5 schools. ESPN almost owns every rights from every ACC school. The conference belongs to ESPN literally 100%. Whatever ESPN pays out to ACC schools is pretty much what each will get vs. Schools in other P5 conferences can still get money from other sources. This is the reason why ESPiN will protect ACC to the end. This is why some ACC schools will explore other options if there are options available.

UCONN gets $8M per year from media rights from IMG. UCONN also gets $4.55M per year from Nike. Just to show how bad AAC deal is with ESPiN, UCONN women's basketball tier-3 rights gets $1.4M from SNY comparing to AAC's $2M per year. I seriously hope Aresco knew what he was doing when he traded exposure for payout.

Reaction Score
Bucky you Kook!! I keep having to correct you.

"ISP Sports has acquired the exclusive marketing rights to Florida State University athletics with a 10-year deal that will pay the Seminoles $6.6 million per year in guaranteed money"

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2007/02/20070212/This-Weeks-News/ISP-Sports-To-Take-Over-Seminoles-Rights.aspx?hl=And 1&sc=0y."

Bee Bee you nutjob! I'm sure that people from the fine state of Connecticut don't really care, but Florida State University is not making $6.6 million per year for tier 3 broadcast, internet, radio etc. Another little lie from you to attempt to make everything seem better than it is down there financially I guess:

Here is FSU's financial statement--you know the OFFICIAL financial statement provided to the government. It shows exactly as I stated, what FSU made in 2013 for their Broaadcast, TV, Radio & Internet rights--$355,000. In 2012 they had revenues of $379,167.

Now unless you are suggesting FSU is lying about their officially reported earnings for such things then you should probably stick to talking about how you don't care about conferences (LOL) anymore.
Here is a link to download the official FSU report of their finances so anyone interested can see exactly what they made for athletics and from where the money came:

http://www.dacbond.com/dacContent/doc.jsp?id=0900bbc78011d771

Reaction Score
YES brings no leverage whatsoever.

What are they gonna do....threaten to take it off a cable system?

No they won't take it off the air but they will bundle it together with other FOX sports channels so in order to get YES you will end up with BTN, FOX1, FOX2 etc.

Reaction Score
ACC schools definitely make less per school than B12 schools or any other P5 schools. ESPN almost owns every rights from every ACC school. The conference belongs to ESPN literally 100%. Whatever ESPN pays out to ACC schools is pretty much what each will get vs. Schools in other P5 conferences can still get money from other sources. This is the reason why ESPiN will protect ACC to the end. This is why some ACC schools will explore other options if there are options available.

UCONN gets $8M per year from media rights from IMG. UCONN also gets $4.55M per year from Nike. Just to show how bad AAC deal is with ESPiN, UCONN women's basketball tier-3 rights gets $1.4M from SNY comparing to AAC's $2M per year. I seriously hope Aresco knew what he was doing when he traded exposure for payout.

UConn would not get $8MM from IMG and would probably not get $4.5MM from Nike if those contracts were due for renewal today. Those deals were made at a time when we were in a conference that had national appeal

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

While I agree everyday in the AAC drags our value down, I certainly think we have more time than just a few years before we see a definitive down turn.

We already have a state of the art football facility and basketball is on the way in terms of investments in the programs.

Ollie and Diaco are both being paid P5 salaries and are signed for 5 year deals.

The TV money sucks but we're still being featured a lot on the ESPN networks.

13 years from now? in terms of competing with our local rivals you're probably right - we're dead. But in between now and then, I think we have alittle more wwiggle room.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There's no long play on UConn but there was a long play on Rutgers 18 months ago? Sure, that makes sense. UConn isn't the puzzle; they're a piece of the puzzle.

One thing seems certain to me. You are not a man of vision. The future is unlikely to be a replay of the past let alone destined to be. UConn not playing Army in 1945 has little to do with UConn today. Just because the USS 1945 has sailed doesn't mean there aren't, and never will be, more ships. The real killer will be returning those with little understanding and less vision, guys like Hathaway, to positions of power in Storrs.

Lol yeah I have no vision because I don't think UConn will be in the Big 10.

UConn certainly deserves a home in a legitmate league, but until you can show the Big 10 you can deliver their schools incremental revenue it's a non-starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom