Disaster without Ollie | The Boneyard

Disaster without Ollie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm scared of this guy Manuel. For whatever the critics have said about Ollie--I think anyone here can get the drift that

A. This guy is going to be able to recruit on the highest of levels

B. All past Huskies support him and may drift away if Ollie is removed

C. All of these/players/ recruits love him

If he needs time to get the coaching part down--and my bet is he doesnt--then let him have it. If the Huskies are 7-0 give him the big extension and that is that. Were a little under the gun next year in the frontcourt--this is not aguy who is able to put his stamp fully on the program. From what I have seen it would be a shame and possible disaster for Uconn to not make him the coach for the next 4-5 year MINIMALLY.

caw

Reaction Score
I'm scared of this guy Manuel. For whatever the critics have said about Ollie--I think anyone here can get the drift that

A. This guy is going to be able to recruit on the highest of levels

B. All past Huskies support him and may drift away if Ollie is removed

C. All of these/players/ recruits love him

If he needs time to get the coaching part down--and my bet is he doesnt--then let him have it. If the Huskies are 7-0 give him the big extension and that is that. Were a little under the gun next year in the frontcourt--this is not aguy who is able to put his stamp fully on the program. From what I have seen it would be a shame and possible disaster for Uconn to not make him the coach for the next 4-5 year MINIMALLY.

I think blaming Manuel is unfair. I do wish he had given Ollie two years, but he is charged with replacing Calhoun. He knows if he muffs it up he is done at UConn. He has to at least leave himself some breathing room if Ollie fails miserably (which I don't believe will happen). I hope he gives Ollie an extension if Ollie shows he can coach, not necessarily win (this team is a bit limited), but coach.

Reaction Score
He needs to be signed to a longterm contract asap, he is going to be a monster recruiter, the things you hear about him from established coaches, recruits and everyone else is unbelievable. He's more than up to the task and we are very lucky to have him.

Reaction Score
He just wants to see what's out there. If there is a big time coach who is interested in the UConn job, it would be in Manuel's best interest to examine all possibilities before completely closing the position for the future.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
He needs to be signed to a longterm contract asap, he is going to be a monster recruiter, the things you hear about him from established coaches, recruits and everyone else is unbelievable. He's more than up to the task and we are very lucky to have him.
why? why the rush? 1 year isn't going to kill the program. Let Ollie do his thing and re-evaluate in a year. or sooner if he starts landing blue chippers.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score

I mean, seriously? We have yet to see him coach, make in-game decisions, etc. There are a *ton* of great recruiters out there who can't cut it when it comes to Xs and Os and that's why they are assistant coaches. The head coaching position is more than establishing connections with athletes, there's a big strategy and preparation component as well. We have taken for granted JC's supreme in-game coaching... his halftime resets and tweaks, etc. Do you remember all of the fundamental coaching mistakes Blaney made when he stepped in? And reflecting now, it's a shame that they didn't hand the keys to Ollie last year when Calhoun was sick.

Let him prove himself before we anoint him successor to the throne -- he is more than happy to do so.

Reaction Score
Lets see how he does recruiting. I sure think he will do well but nothing is quite proven yet. Think Calhoun was a major factor for Daniels and Drummond. Think Ollie was huge in landing Omar Calhoun and Ketan Facey for sure. Lets see what kind of class he puts together for 2013. Hopefully he will be able to sell recruits and they will believe that he will be here long term.

Reaction Score
I mean, seriously? We have yet to see him coach, make in-game decisions, etc. There are a *ton* of great recruiters out there who can't cut it when it comes to Xs and Os and that's why they are assistant coaches. The head coaching position is more than establishing connections with athletes, there's a big strategy and preparation component as well. We have taken for granted JC's supreme in-game coaching... his halftime resets and tweaks, etc. Do you remember all of the fundamental coaching mistakes Blaney made when he stepped in? And reflecting now, it's a shame that they didn't hand the keys to Ollie last year when Calhoun was sick.

Let him prove himself before we anoint him successor to the throne -- he is more than happy to do so.

No one is saying otherwise. Of course he has to show he can coach. That goes for every single coach in America. People get fired all the time. but that doesn't exactly address the questions here.

Reaction Score
I love Kevin Ollie. I think he can be a great recruiter and he has proven to be an effective recruiter. BUT, we don't know much about his coaching ability, especially his game coaching ability. We will find out about his coaching ability this year as he will not be inheriting a great team. I don't think he needs to show he is a great coach out of the box, as he can learn, but he needs to show he is competent.

I trust Jim Calhoun's judgement and he believes in Kevin Ollie. That's good enough for me to give him the benefit of the doubt and I love what I see so far.

Reaction Score
I love Kevin Ollie. I think he can be a great recruiter and he has proven to be an effective recruiter. BUT, we don't know much about his coaching ability, especially his game coaching ability. We will find out about his coaching ability this year as he will not be inheriting a great team. I don't think he needs to show he is a great coach out of the box, as he can learn, but he needs to show he is competent.

I trust Jim Calhoun's judgement and he believes in Kevin Ollie. That's good enough for me to give him the benefit of the doubt and I love what I see so far.

I really believe this "evaluation period" will have less to do with recruiting (not arguing that it isn't important and an important metric or KO's in-game coaching ability but everything to due with his ability to run a high quality basketball team that represents the University well and in a highly professional manner (player decorum, discipline, personal accountability, actions, academics, etc...).

Reaction Score
I think this ends with Manuel looking like a buffoon. The longer he waits the more money Ollie and his agent will be able to demand. Manuel could have had him on the cheap.

If Parker commits contingent on Ollie getting an extension Ollie can name his price.

The clock is ticking and Manuel is on the clock.

Reaction Score
He's not going anywhere else, except potentially the NBA... but NOT as head coach there. This will all work out OK for everyone.

Reaction Score
I think this ends with Manuel looking like a buffoon. The longer he waits the more money Ollie and his agent will be able to demand. Manuel could have had him on the cheap.

If Parker commits contingent on Ollie getting an extension Ollie can name his price.

I'll take the bet... if KO comes out of a recruit's home and the recruit backchannels a demand for a contract extension for the coach before he signs his LOI, Manuel should tell the kid to take a hike and then fire KO for unprofessional behavior. (I don't believe that is KO's style anyways). Why risk the wrath of the Administration for a likely "one and done" player. He doesn't have enough equity in the bank to play that career limiting game in my opinion.

Reaction Score
I'll take the bet... if KO comes out of a recruit's home and the recruit backchannels a demand for a contract extension for the coach before he signs his LOI, Manuel should tell the kid to take a hike and then fire KO for unprofessional behavior. (I don't believe that is KO's style anyways). Why risk the wrath of the Administration for a likely "one and done" player. He doesn't have enough equity in the bank to play that career limiting game in my opinion.

So you are telling me a recruit who commits to Ollie should stay committed to UCONN even if Ollie is replaced? Do you want to rethink that?

Reaction Score
Hey, don't forget that this is the AD's initial experience at being responsible for all of the athletic programs at an elite Division 1 school.

He is under the gun in terms of improving UConn competitiveness across the board.

And don't forget he still has to manage the law suit situation with coach A.

Coach O has been given an unique opportunity to take a program that is floundering and turn it around.

Peace,

John Fryer

Reaction Score
So you are telling me a recruit who commits to Ollie should stay committed to UCONN even if Ollie is replaced? Do you want to rethink that?

That's not what he told you. Don't make up to support your point.

Reaction Score
That's not what he told you. Don't make **** up to support your point.

What are you talking about. He said if a recruit demands an extension for Ollie Manuel should tell the kid to take a walk and fire KO. What big time recruit is going to commit to Ollie and still come here if he is replaced? It doesn't need to be an overt demand it is just an implied freaking fact for any recruit to any coach. Get it?

This game has turned on Manuel fast and he is losing ground.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
What are you talking about. He said if a recruit demands an extension for Ollie Manuel should tell the kid to take a walk and fire KO. What big time recruit is going to commit to Ollie and still come here if he is replaced? It doesn't need to be a demand it is just an implied freaking fact.

This game has turned on Manuel fast and he is losing ground.
He said he should tell the recruit to take a hike if he was trying to force the ADs hand with the reason being that a recruit should not remotely have that kind of power. And if Ollie tried to use that to gain negotiating leverage that Ollie should then be let go.

Reaction Score
He said he should tell the recruit to take a hike if he was trying to force the ADs hand with the reason being that a recruit should not remotely have that kind of power. And if Ollie tried to use that to gain negotiating leverage that Ollie should then be let go.

Recruits have power. The number 1 recruit in the country who has already appeared on the cover of sports illustrated has a tremendous amount of power. I'm not trying to pick a fight with anybody but I stand by my original point which is that Manuel could have had Ollie on the cheap, but if Parker commits Ollie can name his price.

Huskymedic made up about my post I never said "backchannel" how about front channel, how about just announcing that he wants to play for coach Ollie. We have never had a recruit who announced that he wants to play for Calhoun?

Reaction Score
That's not what he told you. Don't make **** up to support your point.

What are you talking about. He said if a recruit demands an extension for Ollie Manuel should tell the kid to take a walk and fire KO. What big time recruit is going to commit to Ollie and still come here if he is replaced? It doesn't need to be an overt demand it is just an implied freaking fact for any recruit to any coach. Get it? This game has turned on Manuel fast and he is losing ground.

Manuel is losing ground... on what? Convincing you that he knows more about being an Athletic Director of a major college than you. What has Manuel done to you or your family that you are strafing the guy so bad in numerous threads?

It's pretty clear what I wrote - you need read your insinuation again. You said "If Parker commits contingent on Ollie getting an extension Ollie can name his price." I said that if a recruit backchannels a demand for a contract extension for the coach before he signs his LOI, Manuel should tell the kid to take a hike and then fire KO for unprofessional behavior. You made it an overt demand - not a wink and a nod.

And to address your other question: "So you are telling me a recruit who commits to Ollie should stay committed to UCONN even if Ollie is replaced?" We just had recruits who committed to another coach who is no longer here, recommit to UConn - but I'm sure you'll spin that around as well.

... and a "one and done" carries less weight than you think!

Reaction Score
Manuel is losing ground... on what? Convincing you that he knows more about being an Athletic Director of a major college than you. What has Manuel done to you or your family that you are strafing the guy so bad in numerous threads?

It's pretty clear what I wrote - you need read your insinuation again. You said "If Parker commits contingent on Ollie getting an extension Ollie can name his price." I said that if a recruit backchannels a demand for a contract extension for the coach before he signs his LOI, Manuel should tell the kid to take a hike and then fire KO for unprofessional behavior. You made it an overt demand - not a wink and a nod.

And to address your other question: "So you are telling me a recruit who commits to Ollie should stay committed to UCONN even if Ollie is replaced?" We just had recruits who committed to another coach who is no longer here, recommit to UConn - but I'm sure you'll spin that around as well.

... and a "one and done" carries less weight than you think!

Dude you made it a "backchannel" I did not. You are the one going conspiracy theory, I never suggested such a thing.

You are lost if you don't realize that a Parker commitment would make it game, set and match that Ollie gets extended.

Reaction Score
Dude you made it a "backchannel" I did not. You are the one going conspiracy theory, I never suggested such a thing.

You are lost if you don't realize that a Parker commitment would make it game set and match that Ollie gets extended.

Backstroke.gif

You used the words "contingent on" (which means that there are conditions attached)so if it's not backchanneled than it overt... so you are suggesting outright extortion? Hi Warde, It's Jabari here, Coach Ollie's sitting on my couch and we want to let you know that unless you give my new BFF Kevin a long tern extension - I'm taking my talents to South Beach, ooops I mean Gainsville"

You never answered what you have against Manuel?

My kids say I'm lost all the time so that's nothing new. Let's agree to disagree and we'll resurrect this discussion when something actually happens instead of you speculating. Just to be clear - I support KO 100% and I think (IMHO) folks are making the contract terms much more of an issue than Kevin and his inner cricle are. He's rolled up his sleeves and getyting it done. Good Night honey...

Reaction Score

Some of you people have clearly gone off your meds. Money ? For a rookie head coach with an average team ? What kind of miracle do you think Ollie is going to pull off that would demand a long term, big money contract ? And landing a single recruit, no matter how good, does not say a single word about his ability to gameplan and strategize, or to adjust in real time during a game. The idea that one recruit would put Manuel on the clock to extend him is ridiculous.

I think Ollie will do very well, but I don't think anyone needs to worry about how much money he would command on the open market any time soon. If not for inheriting the program at UConn a very green and unproven Kevin Ollie would be more in line to get a job like Hobbs got at GW.

I mean lets be real already.

I do agree with one other quote in this thread about a hot start. I would not be the least bit surprised to see Ollie extended mid season. He just has to give the AD and the university a sense that he has a handle on the organization, in-game coaching, and media relations part of the job. He has already done well with the media, but it remains to be seen how he handles adversity and tough questions from the media.

Reaction Score
Hey, don't forget that this is the AD's initial experience at being responsible for all of the athletic programs at an elite Division 1 school.

He is under the gun in terms of improving UConn competitiveness across the board.

And don't forget he still has to manage the law suit situation with coach A.

Coach O has been given an unique opportunity to take a program that is floundering and turn it around.

Peace,

John Fryer

You make some good points but can we really use the word "floundering" for a program under 2 years removed from a National Championship? He has some nice returning players to work with if all healthy, especially in the back court. They can compete, although not expected to have a great season, should be able to play with the BE competition. Boat, Bazz, Omar, Deandre.....hardly floundering.......

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
The idea that Manuel screwed up essentially due to supply and demand forces is off the mark. Ollie wants to coach at UConn, period. In a sense, Ollie screwed up first in making it quite well known this is his absolute dream job, even forsaking an NBA coaching path for this. In a sense, Manuel would have merely balanced the demand part of the equation by allowing Ollie to prove himself before getting him "on the cheap."

Of course, if getting something "on the cheap" for long term is the goal then, yes, you could say Manuel may have missed an opportunity. But I hope instead that Manuel's main goal is to have a great basketball program, regardless of the cost. If either Ollie signs Parker or does well coaching this year I think we will see an extension before April, and I bet Manuel won't be gnashing his teeth because he could not accomplish the task "on the cheap."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom