Disappointed | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Disappointed

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
This one wasn’t on the coaching to me. They held Nova to under 70. The game plan was to limit their 3 point shooting and they did that. It wasn’t coaching that didn’t box out (Polley), it wasn’t coaching that missed foul shots, it wasn’t coaching when Martin forgot how to shoot 3s. Bouk is legit but when they started collapsing on him, he missed the kick out shooter time after time. The gameplan was a calculated risk and it put them in a position to win, they just didn’t get the second scorer to step up. I’m not putting this one on Hurley. Against a team like that you need the breaks to go your way to win, and we didn’t get any.
Great post I can be critical of coach from time to time, he’s lost some games on the bench ( St. John’s comes to mind) but we didn’t lose yesterday because of Hurley. he had the right plan. And the players played it but failed in one on one defensive execution and shot making at spots. I actually think that was one of hurleys better coached games.

Reaction Score
That’s so laughable. Who called who a schmuck first?? Are you really that stupid??
Wow, I went as far as to thank you for the insight that you gave me and still you called me stupid. Seems like someone takes finger pointing seriously. Glad I don't live in a glass house, in my mothers basement. Do us both a favor and put me on ignore.

Reaction Score
Great post I can be critical of coach from time to time, he’s lost some games on the bench ( St. John’s comes to mind) but we didn’t lose yesterday because of Hurley. he had the right plan. And the players played it but failed in one on one defensive execution and shot making at spots. I actually think that was one of hurleys better coached games.
Actually we los because every guy Villanova had was a better basketball player than his UConn counterpart save Bouknight. They were a better team. Even when we had a lead it never felt like we would win. That happens sometimes when you play a superior opponent.

Reaction Score
Got it. I only ask because your post really gives off the impression that you know more.
I know what I saw and what I saw others saw too. If he makes $3M a year to coach, I think I can point out a few fairly obvious problems that even a moderately knowledgeable basketball fan would observe. Im sorry if that bothers you.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Except we played better with that lineup, even yesterday. Until Akok is ready there aren’t really better options. Every time we play small ball we lose.
I haven’t seen us get off to a good start with that lineup yet. We seem to play better with Jackson or Martin at the 4. Same rebounding and the big gets a lot more room to operate. Whaley’s best games comes with him out there by himself.

Reaction Score
Typical juvenile response, with the name calling and falling back on the message board retort. So if I were to call you an arm chair coach that lives in his mothers basement and justify it by saying that it's ok because we're on a fan message board, I would be ok... cool, now I know the rules. Thanks for the insight.
We shouldn’t say anything crazy personal, but we all criticize the coaches in some way shape or form. Not sure what exactly offends you about that.

Reaction Score
We shouldn’t say anything crazy personal, but we all criticize the coaches in some way shape or form. Not sure what exactly offends you about that.
I don't care if you criticize the coach at all. Just say your piece and move on. Some people can't seem to grasp that concept. It's all good now, water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned.

Reaction Score
Actually we los because every guy Villanova had was a better basketball player than his UConn counterpart save Bouknight. They were a better team. Even when we had a lead it never felt like we would win. That happens sometimes when you play a superior opponent.
Quite true.

Some teams are just better than their opponent. While we could have won some or most of the other games we lost, this one was different.

Villanova switched better on defense, was able to get more open looks, and executed better because they are better. Better passers, better ballhandlers, better boxing out on their defensive rebounding. Jay Wright has a resume' with 2 Natty's which helps recruiting. UConn has a good upcoming recruiting class that might even get better with the two more unfilled scholarships.

Martin missed badly on his 3's, but a lot had to do with his being well defended. Even post-game, Bouk admitted he pushed himself too much in the second half and should have looked for this teammates. The game was no shame, and losing to a top-tier national team is no shame.

No reason we cannot win the next 4, and a game or two in the BET, depending on the matchup.

Reaction Score
Can we get to the point where people are drawing up plays? That’s my favorite. “Adama should set a screen at the elbow and then . . .”

Reaction Score
Can we get to the point where people are drawing up plays? That’s my favorite. “Adama should set a screen at the elbow and then . . .”
Each poster can draw up a play for Dan and we'll email him the playbook for the Georgetown game. Kind of like this

Reaction Score
A few years ago I had an elderly uncle in his late 80s who emailed a play to Calhoun. He got a very respectful response thanking him for his interest in UConn basketball. Well, next game UConn ran the play a bunch of times and it worked. I’m sure it was in the playbook and just a coincidence but you’ll never convince Uncle Ralph that he didn’t turn that season around!

Reaction Score
Wright made adjustments when he needed to. Bouk was very predictable in the second half and wasn't flexible enough to find his open teammates due to Nova's "crowding" of him and with double teams.
IMO, the best coaches adapt their style of play to their players and adjust accordingly.

I remember an old Giants playoff game where they came out with 5 DL, even though they played a 3-4 the entire season...Confounded the other team and won them the game. Belichick is always evolving how he plays.

We seem to play the same offense no matter what. If you have superior talent maybe it works, but how do you win when you don't have a huge talent advantage?

Reaction Score
I know what I saw and what I saw others saw too. If he makes $3M a year to coach, I think I can point out a few fairly obvious problems that even a moderately knowledgeable basketball fan would observe. Im sorry if that bothers you.
No, it doesn't bother me. I think you should consider going into coaching. I feel like you'd be great at it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom