Disappointed | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Disappointed

Reaction Score
There are times where we have 3 guys on the floor that don’t/can’t score at all. Besides Bouk and Martin, I’m not confident where consistent scoring is going to come from. Whaley has been all over the place. Jackson, though athletic looks at this point to be limited to paint scoring. Polley is Polley. Cole is streaky, I mean we are really limited in our offensive sets. I also hate that we match up to the others team strengths. Understanding Nova lives from the 3, we should of had a huge advantage in the paint.

Reaction Score
Hurley continues to make zero effective in game adjustments after other coaches counter his initial plan .
Yes, it seems like a problem but Hurley did pull Cole for a bit when he was left on a switch to guard Gillespie, backed down and bullied for two points or a trip to the foul line. Unfortunately, the bigs didn't help much for a double team. We do double on the outside but don't seem to inside. Why? Nova must have scored 10-15 points on this inside move. This was a bread and butter play and we didn't adjust well. Why not consider a 3/2 zone with Carlton inside. At least Nova would have had to beat two players. There have other games in which this change might have helped but we never try it.
Another opportunity for change is to overcome the player mindset of deferring to one or two players to shoot. We don't have offensive balance or a willingness to do that. They doubled Bouk, stripped him a couple of times as we didn't look to pass.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Some of the takes on here baffle me. Sanogo and Whaley play a total of 41 minutes in a game where Hurley lets Wright completely dictate the tempo and Villanova’s 6’3 guard is posting UConn up at will, and people are blaming Whaley?

30 seconds in the halfcourt offense for Villanova is like 60 seconds for most teams. They are going to get good looks. 30 seconds for UConn against a good halfcourt defense like Villanova feels like 20 seconds, especially with all the time UConn wastes on offense.

The only advantage UConn had against Villanova was UConn‘s front court, and Hurley left it on the bench and tried to out 3 and D Villanova. It is a credit to how hard and well the team played that it did not lose by 20 with such a stupid game plan.

Reaction Score
Wright made adjustments when he needed to. Bouk was very predictable in the second half and wasn't flexible enough to find his open teammates due to Nova's "crowding" of him and with double teams.

Needs to trust his teammates more and they need to demand the ball. He had hit a wall in the second half re: conditioning and you have to find ways to get your teammates involved when that happens.

If the player can't make those in-game adjustments then your coach needs to be able to do it with different offensive schemes .Close game into the second half and I'm thinking. Ok who is going to step up since Bouk is drawing two guys everywhere he's going.

Reaction Score
Some of the takes on here baffle me. Sanogo and Whaley play a total of 41 minutes in a game where Hurley lets Wright completely dictate the tempo and Villanova’s 6’3 guard is posting UConn up at will, and people are blaming Whaley?

30 seconds in the halfcourt offense for Villanova is like 60 seconds for most teams. They are going to get good looks. 30 seconds for UConn against a good halfcourt defense like Villanova feels like 20 seconds, especially with all the time UConn wastes on offense.

The only advantage UConn had against Villanova was UConn‘s front court, and Hurley left it on the bench and tried to out 3 and D Villanova. It is a credit to how hard and well the team played that it did not lose by 20 with such a stupid game plan.
Not even a little bit surprised that you think the solution to a game where our 1 big on the floor was getting killed on defense is to play 2 of them

Reaction Score
What?? Guy is pure class and prolly the best coach in college hoops. And appears to do it the right way.

meant for scooter.....and then I realized
He coaches at Villanova and he is a fussbudget. Everything I said about him was complementary. I’d take him in a minute. Lots of coaches I dislike who are really good. Coach K is a great coach, does nothing but win. Same with Roy. Don’t care for either one. But I can separate my dislike for the guy from my respect for their ability.

Reaction Score
THIS. It has to change. We are consistently losing winnable games. I get if it’s bad execution. But he’s not giving us anything to execute. That’s 3 times he has been dramatically outcoached (granted, Jay may be the best in the biz, but Willard and Anderson ain’t).
It's kind of funny how these coaches are near the top of their profession, making millions of dollars a year and some schmuck on a message board, that probably couldn't ever get to the point in life that they are at, constantly about what he/she perceives as their short comings. If you have a clue or the ability to do what they do, go out and do it. But you and countless others on here that do the complaining, keep it to yourself.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Wright made adjustments when he needed to. Bouk was very predictable in the second half and wasn't flexible enough to find his open teammates due to Nova's "crowding" of him and with double teams.

Needs to trust his teammates more and they need to demand the ball. He had hit a wall in the second half re: conditioning and you have to find ways to get your teammates involved when that happens.

If the player can't make those in-game adjustments then your coach needs to be able to do it with different offensive schemes .Close game into the second half and I'm thinking. Ok who is going to step up since Bouk is drawing two guys everywhere he's going.

Basically Bouk said this in time post game video. He said he was trying to do too much and should have looked for the open man more.

Reaction Score
Hurley lives and breathes basketball and has forgotten more than I will ever know. That said, it’s fairly clear he was out coached again and the gave was dictated to us.
Hurley has a full staff of asst coaches so that’s not the problem. It was players not being able to execute, hit shots.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Not even a little bit surprised that you think the solution to a game where our 1 big on the floor was getting killed on defense is to play 2 of them

Not even a little bit surprised that you will stick with supporting a ridiculous game plan that A) does not fit our personnel, B) Hurley doesn't know how to execute, and C) that you like because it is the "cool" thing to do in basketball.

Reaction Score
Hurley lives and breathes basketball and has forgotten more than I will ever know. That said, it’s fairly clear he was out coached again and the gave was dictated to us.
Got it. I only ask because your post really gives off the impression that you know more.

Reaction Score
View attachment 64826
the delta year over year is extremely unfriendly
The ORtg, eFG and TS, yikes.

This isn't being discussed enough. Whaley has reverted to giving us next to nothing on offense.

I don't know if it's playing alongside Sanogo, playing in a better conference, or what, but it's a big factor in terms of not having a reliable second option.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I really hate starting Sanogo and Whaley together.

Except we played better with that lineup, even yesterday. Until Akok is ready there aren’t really better options. Every time we play small ball we lose.

Reaction Score
It's kind of funny how these coaches are near the top of their profession, making millions of dollars a year and some schmuck on a message board, that probably couldn't ever get to the point in life that they are at, constantly about what he/she perceives as their short comings. If you have a clue or the ability to do what they do, go out and do it. But you and countless others on here that do the complaining, keep it to yourself.
It’s a fan message board numb nuts. That’s what we’re supposed to do. If you don’t like it you’re in the wrong place.

Reaction Score
The ORtg, eFG and TS, yikes.

This isn't being discussed enough. Whaley has reverted to giving us next to nothing on offense.

I don't know if it's playing alongside Sanogo, playing in a better conference, or what, but it's a big factor in terms of not having a reliable second option.
He is a rim runner, but he’s playing a finesse game on offense and he just isn’t good at it. He doesn’t go up strong anymore. Never shoots FTs this year. He needs to be playing above the rim

Reaction Score
It’s a fan message board numb nuts. That’s what we’re supposed to do. If you don’t like it you’re in the wrong place.
Typical juvenile response, with the name calling and falling back on the message board retort. So if I were to call you an arm chair coach that lives in his mothers basement and justify it by saying that it's ok because we're on a fan message board, I would be ok... cool, now I know the rules. Thanks for the insight.

Reaction Score
Waiting for this guy I heard of that was so dominant in one-on-one drills. Please let me know where he is.. I think his name was Jackson or something like that.... ;)

Reaction Score
Typical juvenile response, with the name calling and falling back on the message board retort. So if I were to call you an arm chair coach that lives in his mothers basement and justify it by saying that it's ok because we're on a fan message board, I would be ok... cool, now I know the rules. Thanks for the insight.
That’s so laughable. Who called who a schmuck first?? Are you really that stupid??

Reaction Score
Not even a little bit surprised that you will stick with supporting a ridiculous game plan that A) does not fit our personnel, B) Hurley doesn't know how to execute, and C) that you like because it is the "cool" thing to do in basketball.
Playing Bouk, Jackson, Martin at the 2-4 is our best lineup until Akok is back and it's not even close

Reaction Score
He's the only guard in college I l have ever seen that consistently got away with dropping his shoulder and just charged all game because the ref would not call it. He didn't do that last game. I don't blame him if the refs weren't calling it. Smart player who is a good leader on the floor. I'll remember him as detestable but worthy opponent like Siva and Krauser.
I kept waiting for our guy to fall away from Gillespie as he was starting the second hard bump into Cole's chest. Gillespie would probably fall to the ground or stumble three times and get called for traveling.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Playing Bouk, Jackson, Martin at the 2-4 is our best lineup until Akok is back and it's not even close

If basketball was just a dunking contest, you would have a very good point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom