Disappointed,yes. Disheartened, NO. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Disappointed,yes. Disheartened, NO.

Reaction Score
We’ve got some program “insiders” here in the yard. Anyone know if Maryland comes to Storrs/Hartford next year? If they do, I’d bet the farm on a UConn win.

If memory serves, I think this game was carried over from 2021-2022 due to COVID virus dynamics causing the game to be canceled. Someone please correct me if I’m mistaken.
I’m thinking 25+ blowout.

Reaction Score
I completely agree!!! Nothing to be disappointed in. Our team played a ranked opponent close for 4 quarters yesterday with the end of the bench. At no time did I see any quit in this team.

I was a little taken aback by the amount of exuberance shown by Frese and her team after beating a team she knew going in had 4 starters on the bench in street clothes.

UConn would have won by 15-20 points had all of their players been healthy. I was much more impressed with how our team played than hers.

Play of the game…..Amari’s block and snatch of an opponent’s shot attempt, then telling her about it. I loved seeing Amari show that level of grit and determination. I was a BIG fan of Amari before, even more now because I know that fire and desire is in her, it just needs to come out.

I’m proud to be a UConn WBB fan this morning. :)
Here's hoping we run into them again when we are at full strength

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I said this morning: If memory serves, I think this game was carried over from 2021-2022 due to COVID virus dynamics causing the game to be canceled. Someone please correct me if I’m mistaken.

From the Connecticut Insider dated June 7, 2022 (Maggi Vanoni)
The UConn women’s basketball team announced an additional nonconference opponent for the upcoming season Tuesday morning.
The Huskies will begin a home-and-home series with Maryland, starting with a Dec. 11 matchup in College Park, Md. The Terps will travel to Connecticut in 2023-24. The series was initially supposed to start in 2020-21 but was delayed due to COVID-19.

Ahhh, my memory did not fail me.
:)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm always upset when we lose but I truly expected both losses, the one against Maryland being as soon as I realized Nika wasn't playing. I said it before and I will say it again. An easier Friday game in Storrs followed by a plane ride away game on Sunday against a nationally ranked opponent out for blood was not provident scheduling and has proven to be counter-productive the last two weekends. You can have a difficult out of conference schedule. Scheduling the tough games on days that give you a disadvantage based upon where and when you had your last game is just difficult to understand.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'm always upset when we lose but I truly expected both losses, the one against Maryland being as soon as I realized Nika wasn't playing. I said it before and I will say it again. An easier Friday game in Storrs followed by a plane ride away game on Sunday against a nationally ranked opponent out for blood was not provident scheduling and has proven to be counter-productive the last two weekends. You can have a difficult out of conference schedule. Scheduling the tough games on days that give you a disadvantage based upon where and when you had your last game is just difficult to understand.
Me too under "normal" circumstances. These circumstances WERE NOT normal. When you have 4 starters sitting on the bench in street clothes, all bets are off. 90% of the prognosticators in MSGRET's thread predicted a Maryland win. So that loss was no surprise. I've never been so at ease with a loss in my life. Collectively, we were ALL drinking "lemonade" after the game (if you get my drift). :) I'm just so proud of our girls and the way they played. The numerous turnovers are a by-product of not playing together, or in some cases not playing at all.

Our girls played hard right up to the buzzer. That's all you can ask. Ines and Amari got some very valuable playing time/experience from which they will learn. That loss to Maryland will not break us or define our season.

Normally I read all of our poster's post game comments. I didn't Sunday night. While I'm always interested in the thoughts and concerns of my fellow Boneyarders, I DID NOT want to read any complaints, negative comments or whining about their play.

I wasn't in the mood. I saw the game. I know what happened. Surprisingly more posters than I expected felt the same way I did, and heaped mounds of praise on our girls. :D THAT was very refreshing. Usually when we lose, the critics come out in droves. :confused:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The overall effort was outstanding. Ines and Patterson took giant leaps forward. Caroline took more steps getting closer to her old self. Amari showed improvement with more intensity. If those seven played together for 2 weeks they would beat Maryland by 5. Even if the terps hit 12 - 3s again. It was all in the -- lack of experience / turnover scene--- that can be fixed.
Amari needs to drain one of those threes. It will give her a lot more confidence. As for Ines, her first 10 minutes were terrific. And when she drove to the hoop ( successfully ), I thought another star was being revealed. Not surprisingly, she lost some pace and some energy as the game went on. She decided not to be an offense threat, and made no more moves toward the basket, or taking a shot. She also got a bit lazy on her passes. Many were telegraphed and softer than they should be. In addition, those one handed passes are a bit dangerous....and occasionally picked off. But there is no one who expected Ines to be starting game against Maryland. She showed a lot of positives. Mostly in her character.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
While I agree on the overly exuberant celebration over beating a mere shell of a standard UConn team, (magnificent though they were) I’m willing to give Brenda some leeway here as she was really celebrating the future rather than the present! She knows that, twenty years from now, no one will be able to say, “She beat them all except for UConn! This game will have been forgotten and no will remember that it was an asterisk game that only happened because of one of, if not the worst string of injuries in the history of women’s basketball! It’s an ill wind…she got a (somewhat tainted) win and we saw the growth and heart of some of our players! Let her have her little personal victory, I just want our team to get healthy! I’m thinking it may be a long time before we play Maryland again, though.:rolleyes:
This post is exactly right, she beat UConn. How many programs can say that, how many programs can say they beat the Huskies? UConn is UConn, the best of the best. Not just this year, or last year, but for the past few decades. Nobody is going to remember, or even know, what players played or didn't play. A win over UConn is a resume builder. Kim Barnes Arico got the Michigan job after upsetting UConn while she was at St Johns. Beating us is a big deal, and we all know this, so I can understand what Brenda is feeling, and although as a UConn fan I know why she won, we should all be proud of our program that the fact this is her best coaching moment is a credit to Geno and our girls. If we play them again, Brenda won't be nearly as happy. Let her enjoy this, because this is just a bump in the road for us and we will prevail going forward. Go Huskies.

Reaction Score
Me too under "normal" circumstances. These circumstances WERE NOT normal. When you have 4 starters sitting on the bench in street clothes, all bets are off. 90% of the prognosticators in MSGRET's thread predicted a Maryland win. So that loss was no surprise. I've never been so at ease with a loss in my life. Collectively, we were ALL drinking "lemonade" after the game (if you get my drift). :) I'm just so proud of our girls and the way they played. The numerous turnovers are a by-product of not playing together, or in some cases not playing at all.

Our girls played hard right up to the buzzer. That's all you can ask. Ines and Amari got some very valuable playing time/experience from which they will learn. That loss to Maryland will not break us or define our season.

Normally I read all of our poster's post game comments. I didn't Sunday night. While I'm always interested in the thoughts and concerns of my fellow Boneyarders, I DID NOT want to read any complaints, negative comments or whining about their play.

I wasn't in the mood. I saw the game. I know what happened. Surprisingly more posters than I expected felt the same way I did, and heaped mounds of praise on our girls. :D THAT was very refreshing. Usually when we lose, the critics come out in droves.

I wasn't upset with the team I was upset that we lost which I always am. We played hard despite being tired and worn down which I think is partially attributable to the scheduling as I pointed out. Maryland had an exceptional game from the 3 also. It is only a bump in the road on the way to March. The main thing is how they, the players react to it and I am sure they will be fine. Once we get our team back it will all change and overnight. I also think this last game pointed out how truly valuable Nika is. Not just the turnovers and disjointed offense, but the defense on the perimeter.

Reaction Score

I wasn't in the mood. I saw the game. I know what happened. Surprisingly more posters than I expected felt the same way I did, and heaped mounds of praise on our girls. :D THAT was very refreshing. Usually when we lose, the critics come out in droves. :confused:
Don’t know about some other folks round here, but I watch the Huskies for the enjoyment and good feelings I get.
If it’s going to aggravate you, don’t watch. To this day I haven’t re-watched the FF game against Arizona. I figured “WHY?”.
This last game was a loss, but one the team can learn from and one that had some moments that I enjoyed.
A lot will happen between now and April.

Reaction Score

I def don't agree........... Both losses coincided with players injured!

Reaction Score
This post is exactly right, she beat UConn. How many programs can say that, how many programs can say they beat the Huskies? UConn is UConn, the best of the best. Not just this year, or last year, but for the past few decades. Nobody is going to remember, or even know, what players played or didn't play. A win over UConn is a resume builder. Kim Barnes Arico got the Michigan job after upsetting UConn while she was at St Johns. Beating us is a big deal, and we all know this, so I can understand what Brenda is feeling, and although as a UConn fan I know why she won, we should all be proud of our program that the fact this is her best coaching moment is a credit to Geno and our girls. If we play them again, Brenda won't be nearly as happy. Let her enjoy this, because this is just a bump in the road for us and we will prevail going forward. Go Huskies.
Exactly. UConn is "the program", whether it's an injury plagued or full strength team. I don't think she should get a contract extension for this one but this is probably their biggest win since the NC in 2006.

Reaction Score
And that reaction by Brenda, to me, is actually a compliment to the UConn program.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom