Disappointed,yes. Disheartened, NO. | The Boneyard

Disappointed,yes. Disheartened, NO.

Reaction Score
Hard to be disappointed when the back of the bench competed so fearlessly.
It was a fine exhibition of what this program truly stands for.
In defeat they were only out-skilled
I totally agree with your post except for one thing. We were not out skilled,,,,, we were negative in 2 areas, 3point shooting and turnovers. We were better in rebounding and 2 point shooting and equal in the rest. I would say we did splendid. The bench showed they have great potential for Uconn's future. GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
The overall effort was outstanding. Ines and Patterson took giant leaps forward. Caroline took more steps getting closer to her old self. Amari showed improvement with more intensity. If those seven played together for 2 weeks they would beat Maryland by 5. Even if the terps hit 12 - 3s again. It was all in the -- lack of experience / turnover scene--- that can be fixed.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I completely agree!!! Nothing to be disappointed in. Our team played a ranked opponent close for 4 quarters yesterday with the end of the bench. At no time did I see any quit in this team.

I was a little taken aback by the amount of exuberance shown by Frese and her team after beating a team she knew going in had 4 starters on the bench in street clothes.

UConn would have won by 15-20 points had all of their players been healthy. I was much more impressed with how our team played than hers.

Play of the game…..Amari’s block and snatch of an opponent’s shot attempt, then telling her about it. I loved seeing Amari show that level of grit and determination. I was a BIG fan of Amari before, even more now because I know that fire and desire is in her, it just needs to come out.

I’m proud to be a UConn WBB fan this morning. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
All UCONN has to do is get healthy. If Nika and Dorka are ready for Sunday the future is better. Remember last year and it ended in another trip to the Final Four. Merry Christmas to all.
A big IF, but hopeful.. Our bench got some vauable minutes in a losing cause.

Reaction Score
I like the kind words, but take exception to "OUT-SKILLED
They were simply --OUT NUMBERED. --- Ines, typically would have been allowed to shoot her very good 3, she didn't do it. With too many tussles under the boards, with limited numbers, they couldn't afford the fouls to rebound long shot.s---hence they took as close to layups as they could get.
I"m so proud of this group, players rarely seen---became the GO-TO team and (in my opinion) excelled.

Reaction Score
The overall effort was outstanding. Ines and Patterson took giant leaps forward. Caroline took more steps getting closer to her old self. Amari showed improvement with more intensity. If those seven played together for 2 weeks they would beat Maryland by 5. Even if the terps hit 12 - 3s again. It was all in the -- lack of experience / turnover scene--- that can be fixed.
When thrown into the DEEP END of the pool, you either sink or swim. They swam beautifully. If the 5 starters faced not having any subs--it may have ended not differently. This team (and they Started in that situation) had to protect against fouls, limiting aggressiveness. The Starter may have Had to limit long shots (rebounding fouls).
I agree with @Carnac---the opposing coach, was just too joyful. It maybe understandable when you know she got her last shot of beating Uconn for the next 6 years.

Reaction Score
Amari showed a lot of heart ... she was cleared banged up when she limped down the bench at the end of the game.

Reaction Score
The sun comes up over Horse Barn Hill and off in the distance still stands Gampel Pavilion.
Let’s just get some chicken soup for everybody and go play the games. Months ago I got my ticket for our Creighton game…I have never attended a game that Geno lost. That could happen in 2 weeks. Or we blow ‘em out by 25.

Reaction Score
I completely agree!!! Nothing to be disappointed in. Our team played a ranked opponent close for 4 quarters yesterday with the end of the bench. At no time did I see any quit in this team.

I was a little taken aback by the amount of exuberance shown by Frese and her team after beating a team she knew going in had 4 starters on the bench in street clothes.

UConn would have won by 15-20 points had all of their players been healthy. I was much more impressed with how our team played than hers.

Play of the game…..Amari’s block and snatch of an opponent’s shot attempt, then telling her about it. I loved seeing Amari show that level of grit and determination. I was a BIG fan of Amari before, even more now because I know that fire and desire is in her, it just needs to come out.

Great analysis.
But I’d cut Brenda some slack mostly cuz it isn’t very often she gets to whack the Huskies. Certainly has earned her stripes…plus, years ago, she said she wished she could play UConn one hundred times every year so her Terps “would play like that.“ She gets it.

Reaction Score
I graduated from UConn in 1964. I have seen the worst and the best from both men's and women's basketball over the years. No matter what, UConn is my school and I will continue to root for a positive result for these teams.
Old Dog…I envy your memories.
What was it like watching the Poughkeepsie Popper in the Field House ?

Reaction Score
Disappointed FOR, not disappointed IN.

This.

I couldn't watch the game. I was at a Christmas party with friends, the first time in over 2 years that we've been able to get together.

I understand that although UConn lost they made Maryland work hard every step of the way for their victory. Various players stepped up their games and most importantly, nobody gave up.

I'm disappointed that despite all their hard work they weren't able to pull off a win but in no way am I disappointed in their efforts.

It's going to be OK.

Reaction Score
Exactly. I loved what UConn accomplished. Actually stunned that MD was as weak as they were. There’s much to be disappointed about in MD’s play. I expect Brenda is explaining this to her players now.
I’m not sure Brenda realized that the 185 career starts sitting on the bench were more significant than the zero for her team.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Amari showed a lot of heart ... she was cleared banged up when she limped down the bench at the end of the game.
It was reported by Bob Joyce (radio) during his pregame show that Amari was nursing a sore calf, and would probably see limited action. She was a walking wounded going into the game, but went in when called and played hard.

Reaction Score

While I agree on the overly exuberant celebration over beating a mere shell of a standard UConn team, (magnificent though they were) I’m willing to give Brenda some leeway here as she was really celebrating the future rather than the present! She knows that, twenty years from now, no one will be able to say, “She beat them all except for UConn! This game will have been forgotten and no will remember that it was an asterisk game that only happened because of one of, if not the worst string of injuries in the history of women’s basketball! It’s an ill wind…she got a (somewhat tainted) win and we saw the growth and heart of some of our players! Let her have her little personal victory, I just want our team to get healthy! I’m thinking it may be a long time before we play Maryland again, though.:rolleyes:

Carnac

Reaction Score
While I agree on the overly exuberant celebration over beating a mere shell of a standard UConn team, (magnificent though they were) I’m willing to give Brenda some leeway here as she was really celebrating the future rather than the present! She knows that, twenty years from now, no one will be able to say, “She beat them all except for UConn! This game will have been forgotten and no will remember that it was an asterisk game that only happened because of one of, if not the worst string of injuries in the history of women’s basketball! It’s an ill wind…she got a (somewhat tainted) win and we saw the growth and heart of some of our players! Let her have her little personal victory, I just want our team to get healthy! I’m thinking it may be a long time before we play Maryland again, though.:rolleyes:
We’ve got some program “insiders” here in the yard. Anyone know if Maryland comes to Storrs/Hartford next year? If they do, I’d bet the farm on a UConn win.

If memory serves, I think this game was carried over from 2021-2022 due to COVID virus dynamics causing the game to be canceled. Someone please correct me if I’m mistaken.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Reaction Score
Before this game, I was bracing myself for the worst. But this team came out and surprised me (and maybe themselves?) with an amazing performance. Even though they fell just short of the win, I am incredibly proud of them. It's games like this that become the stuff of fandom legend, so that years from now we'll talk about the walking wounded game the same way that we still know exactly which game we mean when we refer to the Blizzard game or KLS's puke and rally game.

We really are so lucky.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom