Dirty Play, Physical Play. | The Boneyard

Dirty Play, Physical Play.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It's a pay article. Can't read it. I believe as long as you are only copying a small portion of the article, you are able to copy/paste the section you are referencing here with no issues...

Reaction Score
It's a pay article. Can't read it. I believe as long as you are only copying a small portion of the article, you are able to copy/paste the section you are referencing here with no issues...
This is simple;; 1. Your team, never dirty 2. Tough opponent --usually dirty 3 Tennessee---well, you know!

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Same is true of refs. Fouls against the other guy - great ref. Foul against your guy - blind ref and probably crooked.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Quick Summary

Refs not calling fouls restricting freedom of movement
Proof. Less fouls called than ever before.

Personally, I would bet that 90% of the men's game fans prefer this. A mix of basketball and wrestling.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Here's some:
Turn on any major conference game, and you will see arm bars on ball handlers not in the post, handchecking, bumping and chucking of cutters, illegally riding cutters and screeners off of their paths, and overt physicality in the post area, including a lack of enforcement of verticality on shooters. Whatever you see on the floor in major conferences this season is not basketball and would not be allowed in the NBA or FIBA. Hell, it would not be allowed in the NFL on wide receivers. It is wrong and needs to be seriously addressed. Coaches are confounded and complaining, and so are the bloviating gasbags who announce the games. -- Jay Bilas

Reaction Score
It was a great insight and I totally agree. The part that worries me is his closing thoughts where things are likely to be called differently (correctly?) in the NCAAs which will please no one and likely take out teams that can't adjust in time. In my view consistency is what is needed and not change at the last minute. Tell everyone the rules will be called next year and make sure it happens. Officials who can't adjust should not get games. My fear? The bad officials will be bounced from the men's side and wind up reffing our games.

Reaction Score
I also agree with this. Way too much banging and wrestling going on. From a UCONN WBB standpoint, it would hurt them if they allow a more physical game. They are coached to keep their arms up and avoid contact (fouls).

Reaction Score
Solid article. There is a lot of physical play in both men's and women's basketball. Not so much dirty play on the women's side. There are some dirty plays in the men's game. That Duke/Clemson game comes to mind. A lot just comes from the lack of consistency of calls from the refs, especially during a women's game. The hand checking on the perimeter is crazy. In the post, it is always interesting how the physical play is called or not called.

Reaction Score
The refs basically decide who wins depending on how they call the game. Take a typical SC / Uconn game. Who is going to win that game if it's decided by skill? Probably Uconn. Who is going to win that game if they let them hand check constantly with in your face defense and lots of banging in the post? South Carolina. One of the keys to winning games now is getting the right refs for your team in any given game. You can be assured that the betting markets know who is reffing games. It's Detroit Pistons basketball now in the college game. And people are getting hurt.

Reaction Score
Who has oversight of the referees and who has oversight of that person because a change needs to be made. It’s not good clean basketball when the officials swallow their whistles. If they’re gonna be out there on the floor they need to make the calls if they don’t they should not be given more games to referee. It’s that simple. It’s not enjoyable watching a game where I’m calling foul after foul after foul that the officials are taking a blind eye to. If I’m at home making those foul calls the paid professional should be able to make those calls as well if they don’t get them off the court. I don’t know if it’s an intentional corruption of the game but the NCAA should be called out for it. Maybe the NCAA sees rough play as an equalizer for less talented teams to keep the score close. Something needs to be done. It’s definitely hard to watch sometimes and you want to reach into the TV and smack the ref in the back of the head for not making an obvious call. Maybe an independent committee to overhaul the officiating system.

Reaction Score
The refs basically decide who wins depending on how they call the game. Take a typical SC / Uconn game. Who is going to win that game if it's decided by skill? Probably Uconn. Who is going to win that game if they let them hand check constantly with in your face defense and lots of banging in the post? South Carolina. One of the keys to winning games now is getting the right refs for your team in any given game. You can be assured that the betting markets know who is reffing games. It's Detroit Pistons basketball now in the college game. And people are getting hurt.
This feels like an ignorantly biased response.

Reaction Score
12 fts for Uconn, 10 for South Carolina in the SC win by 16 pts in November, pick another excuse.

Reaction Score
My point wasn't about one game. We were discussing the impact of how refs call a game. And yet again inappropriate insults. Are you saying that how a ref or group of refs call a game is not a factor? Of course it is. A big factor in which team wins.

Reaction Score
The worst thing that I have seen in recent years, is the amount of WALKING (or traveling) violations that players get away with today.
I'm actually happy these don't get called, how about carrying? I've seen exactly 1 carry called this year. Did the human race learn how to dribble without carrying? I think not...

Reaction Score
A little clarification on my ‘tomahawk’ point.
The last game Paige played in, she hit the deck at least 4-5 times, pretty hard.
Doubt me, watch the replay.
One of the reasons I felt, at the time, she should have been sitting in the 4th.
( and I’m not splitting hairs as to when the fracture occurred)
If you don’t think opponents will be going at her hard(er), I think you are minimizing the competitive nature of the Tournament.
I’d also like to point to the Ducharme face foul.
Refs reviewed it over and over to determine intent, and found none (?), but I saw what I saw.
Basketball is a contact sport and I understand that.
And as an avid NCAA WBB fan, I’ve seen plenty of, shall I say, chippy play.
I really would like to be proven wrong, but I think opponent will be playing her tight and very physically.
I hope Geno plays Paige judiciously, as opposed to keeping her on the court when up by 20 with 2 minutes left ( sound familiar?).
At this point, winning by 40 doesn’t mean jack.
Just win and move on .

Reaction Score
A little clarification on my ‘tomahawk’ point.
The last game Paige played in, she hit the deck at least 4-5 times, pretty hard.
Doubt me, watch the replay.
One of the reasons I felt, at the time, she should have been sitting in the 4th.
( and I’m not splitting hairs as to when the fracture occurred)
If you don’t think opponents will be going at her hard(er), I think you are minimizing the competitive nature of the Tournament.
I’d also like to point to the Ducharme face foul.
Refs reviewed it over and over to determine intent, and found none (?), but I saw what I saw.
Basketball is a contact sport and I understand that.
And as an avid NCAA WBB fan, I’ve seen plenty of, shall I say, chippy play.
I really would like to be proven wrong, but I think opponent will be playing her tight and very physically.
I hope Geno plays Paige judiciously, as opposed to keeping her on the court when up by 20 with 2 minutes left ( sound familiar?).
At this point, winning by 40 doesn’t mean jack.
Just win and move on .
Of course they will be "going after her" in the sense of playing her as tight and tough as they can. It's a competition that includes defending.

"Harder?" I doubt it. She's the star of a top program. Perhaps even a generational talent. Everybody has always gone as hard as they can against her.

Dirty, in the sense of try to injure her? Doubtful

Reaction Score
Relative to UConn, two points:
-Seems like the past few years in particular, its gotten nasty in the post. While I yell at ONO, Edwards and others relative to their missed layups and rebounds, when I watch the replays, in many cases they are fouled, often hard, with no calls. Seems like most teams know they can hammer UConn under the boards and in most cases, get away with it.
-Refereeing and calling fouls is one of those, "you better watch out what you ask for" situations relative to Nika. She pushes on virtually every defensive play and even with Paige coming back we cannot afford to lose her.

Reaction Score
I'm actually happy these don't get called, how about carrying? I've seen exactly 1 carry called this year. Did the human race learn how to dribble without carrying? I think not...
I'm with you. I feel like those calls just mess with the flow of the game. Call it if it gives a clear advantage but otherwise, let it go. Same thing with the fouls. If someone is riding the defender, call it. If they put 2 hands on them for .5 seconds, swallow it.

Reaction Score
I hate when they call a foul on the defense and it's clear that the offensive player is initiating the contact.
I feel like I see this a lot with off-arms. The offensive player will initiate the contact with their off arm and then a foul gets called. Happens more in the NBA and Men's game but it drives me nuts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom