Dirty Play, Physical Play. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dirty Play, Physical Play.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I'm actually happy these don't get called, how about carrying? I've seen exactly 1 carry called this year. Did the human race learn how to dribble without carrying? I think not...
That's right; 5 or 6 years ago, a statement was made that it would be called.
Carrying was called a few times back then, but NEVER today.

Reaction Score
I also agree with this. Way too much banging and wrestling going on. From a UCONN WBB standpoint, it would hurt them if they allow a more physical game. They are coached to keep their arms up and avoid contact (fouls).
Ask Caroline if there was way too much banging on her head?

Reaction Score
That's right; 5 or 6 years ago, a statement was made that it would be called.
Carrying was called a few times back then, but NEVER today.

Around that time, there was also an effort to start calling more contact on the ball handler who is matriculating up the court. Contact on the transition handler, on the driver to the basket, etc. They even made the concerted effort to go to multiple programs prior to that season, and give in-person demonstrations and show videos of what would be allowed, and what would be called, to get the point across.

Today it's as if that never took place.......

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Today it's as if that never took place.......
I thought I wasn't just imagining that. I was probably watching more men's than women's hoops then. IIRC at the beginning of that season they were calling just a ton of fouls, games were just about unwatchable. I don't think teams adjusted how they played, I think refs just gave up as the season progressed. Before too long it was back to business as usual and the crackdown on overly physical play failed.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
12 fts for Uconn, 10 for South Carolina in the SC win by 16 pts in November, pick another excuse.
Been months but game started with Boston committing multiple pushing offensive fouls with none called.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
A little clarification on my ‘tomahawk’ point.
The last game Paige played in, she hit the deck at least 4-5 times, pretty hard.
Doubt me, watch the replay.
One of the reasons I felt, at the time, she should have been sitting in the 4th.
( and I’m not splitting hairs as to when the fracture occurred)
If you don’t think opponents will be going at her hard(er), I think you are minimizing the competitive nature of the Tournament.
I’d also like to point to the Ducharme face foul.
Refs reviewed it over and over to determine intent, and found none (?), but I saw what I saw.
Basketball is a contact sport and I understand that.
And as an avid NCAA WBB fan, I’ve seen plenty of, shall I say, chippy play.
I really would like to be proven wrong, but I think opponent will be playing her tight and very physically.
I hope Geno plays Paige judiciously, as opposed to keeping her on the court when up by 20 with 2 minutes left ( sound familiar?).
At this point, winning by 40 doesn’t mean jack.
Just win and move on .
Caroline was hit in the head/face/neck multiple games in a row. The last in the Creighton game. She caught an elbow hard to the face by the elbow swinging in the first DePaul game

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Been months but game started with Boston committing multiple pushing offensive fouls with none called.
That's par for the course. Boston is allowed to do anything on the court and she never gets called for fouls. At least any time I've ever seen her play.

Reaction Score
I feel like I see this a lot with off-arms. The offensive player will initiate the contact with their off arm and then a foul gets called. Happens more in the NBA and Men's game but it drives me nuts.
Watch Clark against MD the other night. I stopped counting how many times she pushed the defender with her off hand to clear space. She's too good to need to do all that. Dungey (?) did it a lot. And Sophie Cunningham and she liked the hook as well.

Reaction Score
As long as it’s legal under the rules, I don’t care whether they call it close or “let them play”. What matters is, that they are consistent! If it’s a foul for one player/team then it has to be a foul for the other player/team as well!

Reaction Score
I'm still waiting for the refs to call the foul and do the mandatory review for a blow to the head.
Did you not watch the loss to Villanova then? It quite literally happened a week ago and we got technical free throws via it. Some of the posters here say anything to validate UConn being the victim.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
That's par for the course. Boston is allowed to do anything on the court and she never gets called for fouls. At least any time I've ever seen her play.
Tongue in cheek, maybe, I believe she averages A triple double every game, points, rebounds and fouls (called and not called)

Reaction Score
12 fts for Uconn, 10 for South Carolina in the SC win by 16 pts in November, pick another excuse.
Right. You do realize the impact of officials not calling fouls? How many of those on the stat sheet? This argument based on looking at the stat sheet to get a handle on how refs are doing is stale and rarely accurate.

Reaction Score
I hate when they call a foul on the defense and it's clear that the offensive player is initiating the contact.
I hate when they call a foul on the offense and it's clear the defensive player is initiating the contact.

We agree!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom