director of player engagement | Page 7 | The Boneyard

director of player engagement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You don't understand the responsibilities of a university employee.

False.

Under your logic the very fact he is willing to help athletes find ways to practice their spirituality would get him fired.

Very tolerant indeed.

Reaction Score
False.

Under your logic the very fact he is willing to help athletes find ways to practice their spirituality would get him fired.

Very tolerant indeed.

Under every public university's practice. It's discriminatory. And worse than that. It's idiotic and stupid.

I get a kick at you saying people are not very tolerant for not tolerating the intolerant.

Reaction Score
Under every public university's practice. It's discriminatory. And worse than that. It's idiotic and stupid.

I get a kick at you saying people are not very tolerant for not tolerating the intolerant.

I get a kick at you saying he's being intolerant when he makes a point of saying he's going to help athletes find different ways to practice their faith.

You should write a letter to UConn and let them know they are discriminatory and violating "every public university's practice" (including their own).

http://www.uchc.edu/cpe/index.html

Reaction Score
This thread has made it painfully obvious that most people don't understand the establishment clause and/or think the supreme court is infallible. If that were the case slavery would still exist.

""No, you're going to be able to come here and love the God that you love. So we provide opportunities for them to grow spiritually in our community. So I'll get out and meet some people in the community so when this young man, for example, says, 'I'm a Seventh Day Adventist or I'm a Catholic or I'm a Baptist or I'm a Jehovah's Witness,' well, OK, here you go."

Context is important. Anyone claiming he's pushing one religion on behalf of the state of Connecticut is just plain lying.

Context is absolutely important. You simply cut and pasted a few sentences of the original article to support you point. After he stated the above, he went on to say this:

"We're going to make sure they understand that should be in the center of our huddle, that that's something that is important. If you want to be successful and you want to win, get championships then you better understand that this didn't happen because of you. This happened because of our Lord and Savior. That's going to be something said by Bob Diaco. That's something that's going to be said by Ernest Jones. That's who we are."

The full context leads one to believe that Jones (and Diaco if true) are pushing a religious agenda. Also, let's be real, regardless of your religious beliefs and all of our passion for UConn, we are talking about a football team at the end of the day no matter who your God is do you think he/she really cares about a game?

Reaction Score
I get a kick at you saying he's being intolerant when he makes a point of saying he's going to help athletes find different ways to practice their faith.

You should write a letter to UConn and let them know they are discriminatory and violating "every public university's practice" (including their own).

http://www.uchc.edu/cpe/index.html

I can tell you without a doubt that anyone in position of authority could never get away with uttering such a thing. It's mind boggling that you lecture people on the constitution and can't understand how improper it is. For instance, if you had an all-Muslim coaching staff, and they addressed the players on the first day and said to them, we don't care if you're Shiite, Sufist, Nation of Islam, etc., as long as Muhammad is your guide and Allah is in the huddle with you, you're fine," that wouldn't fly. At any university. And no professor could say such a thing either.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Did the Westboro baptists dance in the streets when WTC 1 and 2 fell?
Sort of.

Westboro-Church1.jpg
Westboro.jpg

Reaction Score
You're talking about a game, he's talking about life. The small minded who are parsing his words and using one quote of the interview are missing the bigger picture, and making assumptions about what he and Diaco will allow with very little to go on, but one sentence that doesn't say anything about who is or isn't welcome.

I can say without a doubt in my mind that many are taking him out of context. Unless someone can quote where he stated that anyone who disagreed with his opinion on Jesus wouldn't be welcome. It's a fair question to ask, but most aren't asking the question, they have already answered it for him.

The idea that coaches are treated like any other professor is funny. I missed the university laws that limit the time a professor can spend with a student. If a professor spoke to their students the way many coaches speak to their players, they'd be fired. But it isn't until Jesus is brought up at a public unversity that academics' panties get in a bind.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Typical over thinking by the boneyard and making things more than what they are. Team building is what there striving for and building better young men and not just football players. Those complaining just want complain, because that's what do best.

As a player and coach we always said a pray before and after the game and I went to a public school

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Well, the Fuller article confirms much of what we both thought about Jones' recruiting areas in the "Assistants" thread. It says he's got a piece of New York, Florida, and Fairfield County. Here was our joint prediction from that thread:

Patterson - NY, general Midwest (Iowa, Illinois, etc.)
Lineburg - VA mostly, southern NJ (almost exclusively Virginia)

Jones - NY, FL, GA (more southern than northern recruiting) <---
Cummings - IL, AL, FL, MI, PA, OH (very heavy in Illinois and in Alabama)
Diaco - NJ, NY, VA, MA (heavy New Jersey influence but went into Mass. a lot)
Foley - NY, MA, NH, MD, VA, Canada (he's the one that got Petrus, Delahunt, and Joseph)
Reardon - IN, MI, NE, ND, SD (Thanks, Medic!)
*Poindexter - VA, MD, NC
*Brown - FL, GA
*Wolthausen - OH, West Coast (from ASU days, etc.)

Is this a feeble attempt at talking about football instead of the subject at hand? Sure. Is it patting us on the backs for our research? Of course! But...well, that's about it... ;)

I think HCBD is the closer and will talk to his coaches and connections in New Jersey and elsewhere but will let the staff the grunt work

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I think HCBD is the closer and will talk to his coaches and connections in New Jersey and elsewhere but will let the staff the grunt work

Could be. I expect that Diaco will put a personal touch on the recruiting of each kid down the stretch. But I don't want to sell Jones short. After all, he was a recruiting coordinator for Buffalo, and he has a fair amount of experience. It's no mistake that he was given the key areas of New York and Florida for our recruiting purposes...

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
He shouldn't have the job if that's what he plans.

You are taking the word of one reporter and making snap decision which is ridiculous

Reaction Score
You're talking about a game, he's talking about life. The small minded who are parsing his words and using one quote of the interview are missing the bigger picture, and making assumptions about what he and Diaco will allow with very little to go on, but one sentence that doesn't say anything about who is or isn't welcome.

I can say without a doubt in my mind that many are taking him out of context. Unless someone can quote where he stated that anyone who disagreed with his opinion on Jesus wouldn't be welcome. It's a fair question to ask, but most aren't asking the question, they have already answered it for him.

The idea that coaches are treated like any other professor is funny. I missed the university laws that limit the time a professor can spend with a student. If a professor spoke to their students the way many coaches speak to their players, they'd be fired. But it isn't until Jesus is brought up at a public unversity that academics' panties get in a bind.

Holy cow, coaches can't do anything they please. They can't. Ask Mike Rice.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
So he misquoted him? Really?

So are you the judge and jury on this statement like some others? You and others need to get over yourselves.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Holy cow, coaches can't do anything they please. They can't. Ask Mike Rice.

Comparing this to Rice shows your twisted view of the world. This is much better than what happened at your university.

Reaction Score
As a player and coach we always said a prayer before and after the game and I went to a public school
Bill, do you recall if the public school sanctioned it or whether the prayer mentioned any particular deity?

Reaction Score
Damn, I know 1994, was a long time ago, but we prayed back then. Sometimes together with the other team, one time after a scrimmage comes to mind. Funny thing is during the prayer I was usually thinking about something else, or horsing around with some other clowns. It literally is a different world when we have 170+ posts debating wether this is good or bad.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
This isn't a problem... Until it becomes a problem. Let's just hope they handle this tactfully and in an inclusive manner. Till then I'm not gonna sweat it.

Reaction Score
THe next thing you know, with a title like "director of player engagement" we'll have somebody arranging marriages between football players and cheerleaders or something.

This entire discussion needs to be put away - cesspooled - shut off. This kind of thing is guaranteed handled internally already, and it is a NON-issue when there are no complaints and people are taught tolerance and communication.

Also it's no mistake that the whole thing is started by an atheist comment. Atheists, like some of those around here, that are confident in themselves don't need to make arguments like this. It's the atheists that start arguments like this, that are some of most fervent religious warriors of words and actions, because they don't think they are fighting a religion battle.

Nothing more useless and wasteful of good resources than a religious war. Whether it be words or lives.

I officially move that this discussion be removed from the football talk around here. Seconds?

Reaction Score
Carl Spackler said:
Also it's no mistake that the whole thing is started by an atheist comment.

What? I think the people who are concerned are talking about the absolutely bizarre quote regarding accepting JC in the huddle.

I don't think anyone posting has said a player or coach can't have strong religious beliefs. Many are opposed to a coach imposing a particular religion on a player.

Simple as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc