director of player engagement | Page 6 | The Boneyard

director of player engagement

Status
Not open for further replies.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
They're not in a fox hole.

The whole point of the saying is that it's easy to be an atheist while standing in front of a gate in calm conditions. It's when you are under fire and duress you tend to have faith in something.

I recently went to an uncle's wake. His widow mentioned that he, and his brother's who fought in WWII wouldn't go to church when they came back. They were devout Catholics before the war, but the war changed them. My guess is they prayed in the beginning, but war stripped them of their faith.

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
There is a 100% chance Warde will have a sit down with Diaco and Jones over this article.

Doubt it's that formal.
A.D. Manuel: Hi, Coach. I read the article in the Courant.
Coach Jones: Hi, Warde. Oh yeah? What did you think?
Manuel: Not bad. I don't want to infringe on your freedom of speech, but you may want to consider toning down the religion slant a bit. This is a public university and the way we've played over the last few years, the attention should be on football.
Jones: Okay. I'll look out for it in the future.

Other than that...Well? Peter Griffin said it best:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I don't get offended by it.
I think the vast majority of the team may like it.
I'm simply stating for the 5-10 guys who aren't into it, it could be a pain in the ass to deal with.
I'm about the last guy who loves PC things ( politically correct and ProvidenceCollege) so I don't make a huge deal out of it in " real life", but if you're asking me on the 'Yard about a coach quoted as saying Jesus should be in the huddle, I'd think it's ridiculous.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I'm sorry you take the expression as a literal, 100% truth.

The wiki-link explains what the basis is for the expression and shows the correlation between finding God in a fox hole.

When schitt hit the fan in combat, they turned to someone and the worse their experience in combat was the stronger the bond.

Are there atheists in foxholes? To empirically examine this question, Cornell behavioral economist, Brian Wansink examined 949 post-combat surveys of World War II American infantrymen and observed that these soldiers reliance on prayer rose from 32% to 74% as the battle intensified. To test the lasting impact of combat on religious behavior, a follow up survey was conducted 50 years later with a different sample of veterans from all branches of service. The second study showed that 50 years later, many soldiers still exhibited religious behavior, but it varied by their war experience. Soldiers who faced heavy combat (vs. no combat) attended church 21 % more often if they claimed their war experience was negative, but those who claimed their experience was positive attended 26 % less often. The more a combat veteran disliked the war, the more religious they were 50 years later. [26]

I'm not sure you can make a true correlation between a soldier's reliance on prayer to prove against atheism in the Military. After all, does it really hurt an Atheist to a attend church service for an hour a week and say a prayer just in case?

I liken it to the various stances on Global Warming (disclaimer: I do not intend to hijack this thread. Just making an analogy). The evidence for or against Man's contribution to the global warming phenomenon may be anecdotal on both sides, but I just assume try our carbon footprint (within reason) just in case.

Reaction Score
I don't get offended by it.
I think the vast majority of the team may like it.
I'm simply stating for the 5-10 guys who aren't into it, it could be a pain in the ass to deal with.
I'm about the last guy who loves PC things ( politically correct and ProvidenceCollege) so I don't make a huge deal out of it in " real life", but if you're asking me on the 'Yard about a coach quoted as saying Jesus should be in the huddle, I'd think it's ridiculous.

Wouldn't a Supreme Being have more important things to think about than UCONN's next play?

Husky25

Reaction Score
I quoted a saying that has been around for years. I never stated it to be true. If you had any sense at all you'd have seen the smiley face right after the phrase and figured out that I was just quoting the phrase.

So it's not an outlandish generalization made by me. It's an old phrase. But then again, you've been known to not be up to speed on certain subjects.

Fast forward to 0:46

Reaction Score
I'm sorry you take the expression as a literal, 100% truth.

The wiki-link explains what the basis is for the expression and shows the correlation between finding God in a fox hole.

Ignoring the fact that interviewing 949 combat veterans is... a marginal number to generalize on.

The problem with the "atheists in foxholes" argument is that it's insulting and dismissive towards other people's beliefs.

I don't believe in God. I didn't insult anybody for believing in it. I don't really care what people believe. But deathbed conversions are more rare than people think. Christopher Hitchens went knowingly into the ground with his atheism.

The fact that people who are exposed to the horrors of war become more likely to express faith doesn't really prove anything one way or the other. But plenty of non-believers have gone through terrible ordeals, and being dismissive of that belief is one legitimate reason atheists feel marginalized and often lash out at believers.

Reaction Score
After all, does it really hurt an Atheist to a attend church service for an hour a week and say a prayer just in case?

It's called Pascal's Wager. i.e., don't you have more to gain by "covering your bases" in case there is a God?

Of course, this implies you could trick God with your belief. Or that God would otherwise condemn someone to an eternity of suffering because they didn't believe.

Either way doesn't really change the core belief of the person. It's not like putting on clothes. I'm not really sure people "choose" what they believe.

Reaction Score
I don't think the issue is spirituality. I personally liked the fact that he would find resources on campus for players to explore religion. The issue is he directly said will be present in the huddle. You can't say something like that at a public institution.

Of course you can. He just did.

He is a football coach at a university. He doesn't write laws, he didn't establish any religion.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

He is a football coach at a university. He doesn't write laws, he didn't establish any religion.

At some point the state is endorsing a particular religion (here Christianity) when: a) the state pays the coach; b) the coach at a public university continually endorses a particular religion; and c) (hypothetically) non-Christians feel that they must either be Christian, or not play/coach/support football at the University.

The big step is (C), and I am not particularly worried about that occurring at UConn. BUT - there is simply not reason that a single atheist, muslim, jew, buddhist, nihilist, etc. should have to tolerate another religion being forced on them at a public institution and I think that is why a lot of people have a problem with the "Jesus" quotes.

And if I had to guess, I would assume that most of those that don't have a problem are Christian. And to you I ask, how would you feel if, in your career field, your boss had a required lunch every week where he made it clear that every success your organization has had, and will have, comes from the love of Allah. Would you feel awkward being Christian, or see your career limited unless you began to comport with his beliefs? Because that is exactly what you are asking a non-christian UConn football player to deal with.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
After all, does it really hurt an Atheist to a attend church service for an hour a week and say a prayer just in case?

Isn't going through the motions the opposite of faith?

Reaction Score
The first minute of this is better! Never mind miracles and if god wants us to win football games, I bet if there was p8ssy on the other side of that goal line, we could score some TD's.

Reaction Score

You honestly believe it is okay for him to say that " should be in the center of our huddle"? Within his job role, like I said, I think it is great if a student athlete shows interest in exploring religion or expressing spirituality that they are pointed to the proper venues on campus. Places like the various churches, campus Hillel and other religious venues. However, not every player on the team believes in Jesus, nor does a prayer belong in the middle of a football huddle. Will a player be made to feell guilty if they happen to have other religious beliefs? It's just an ignorant statement to make in 2014.

Husky25

Reaction Score

Different sport, but it applies nonetheless.
Serrano - "Ahhh Heyzeus, I like very much, but he no help me rush the passer."
Harris - "Are you telling me that can't sack the quarterback?!?!?!"

The first minute of this is better! Never mind miracles and if god wants us to win football games, I bet if there was p8ssy on the other side of that goal line, we could score some TD's...

Husky25

Reaction Score
Isn't going through the motions the opposite of faith?
Or it's keeping oneself open to the possibility of different interpretations.

I really think the in the huddle comment had less to do with religion than it is an extension of the Indispensable Man attitude that Coach Diaco is looking for.

Reaction Score

If a faculty person said anything like that, even remotely like that, they could lose their job. If they said, Allah is central to this classroom, and the class was about Urban Planning, you'd hear about it likely on all those kneejerk reactionary war-on-Christmas channels many people in this thread evidently like to watch.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
This thread has made it painfully obvious that most people don't understand the establishment clause and/or think the supreme court is infallible. If that were the case slavery would still exist.

""No, you're going to be able to come here and love the God that you love. So we provide opportunities for them to grow spiritually in our community. So I'll get out and meet some people in the community so when this young man, for example, says, 'I'm a Seventh Day Adventist or I'm a Catholic or I'm a Baptist or I'm a Jehovah's Witness,' well, OK, here you go."

Context is important. Anyone claiming he's pushing one religion on behalf of the state of Connecticut is just plain lying.

Reaction Score
This thread has made it painfully obvious that most people don't understand the establishment clause and/or think the supreme court is infallible. If that were the case slavery would still exist.

""No, you're going to be able to come here and love the God that you love. So we provide opportunities for them to grow spiritually in our community. So I'll get out and meet some people in the community so when this young man, for example, says, 'I'm a Seventh Day Adventist or I'm a Catholic or I'm a Baptist or I'm a Jehovah's Witness,' well, OK, here you go."

Context is important. Anyone claiming he's pushing one religion on behalf of the state of Connecticut is just plain lying.

You don't understand the responsibilities of a university employee.

This is like a classic old joke: "I don't discriminate against anyone. It doesn't matter to me if you're a Presbyterian, a Methodist, an Adventist, a Baptist, or even a Catholic. As long as you believe in !"

I don't know why anyone would even want a football coach proselityzing to them at all. Bizarre.

Reaction Score
The term jihad doesn't mean "go out and kill a lot of innocent people" although that's what is commonly believed, sadly enough. It only takes a small percentage of fringe element with evil intent to bastardize the whole population. Islam, the way it's supposed to be practiced, is actually a peaceful religion that is followed by millions of peace-loving individuals. The crazed murderers don't represent all Muslims the same way the Westboro Baptist Church doesn't represent all Baptists.

Did the Westboro baptists dance in the streets when WTC 1 and 2 fell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom