OT: - Diets | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: Diets

Reaction Score
Again, it was a single subordinate clause out of a multi-paragraph narrative. The intent was to illustrate that I do look back on my semi-meat-eating days very fondly. Did my "announcement" that I was at a decent strength level (front squat 1.5x my body weight) make me a tool too?
Yes.

Reaction Score
Ok the place I'm playing tonight gives me free dinner. You shamed me into the vegetarian offering.

ggQ1y1b.jpg

Actually I lied . I ordered the pork chop.
Is Daryl ever there? Huge fan of the blue eyed soul.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Is Daryl ever there? Huge fan of the blue eyed soul.

Yeah. But he ain't here now. This is where they shoot the show now too

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Ok the place I'm playing tonight gives me free dinner. You shamed me into the vegetarian offering.

ggQ1y1b.jpg

Actually I lied . I ordered the pork chop.

That's an actual restaurant now and not just a TV show that's interesting every third or fourth week?

Reaction Score
I'm not a big guy-5'8", and I've been around 150 my whole adult life. I'm pushing 165 now and I feel awful.

Short version- I was very active- playing soccer, reffing games, hiking, biking. Then last August, I came down with sciatica and the mri revealed 2 herniated discs. It was the most painful thing I've ever had. To make matters worse, my wife tore her acl at the exact same time.

Since absolutely nothing helped with the pain, I took to drinking a lot of beer.

Then in November, we found out my wife was pregnant with twins and her dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer. Stress high- more beer.

After her dad passed away in January, I inherited their liquor cabinet because her mom wanted to purge. So, I started experimenting with cocktails and making my own bitters.

On top of this, it's been unusually rainy in the bay area this year and it's been an exceptionally grey winter.

But, my wife was just diagnosed with gestational diabetes (pretty common for twins) so she has had to cut out sweets and carbs. Her diet has helped me tremendously and I've decided to have a drink only 2x per week- once on my 'night out' and then 1x on the weekend.

My sciatica is much better and even though I can't exercise like I would like, I walk a lot and have started to ride my bike a little.

I've just lost about 5lbs over the past two weeks. And I feel so much better.

So for me, the key is cutting out the booze (all kinds) and less carbs (sandwiches/pizza) and sweets.

It's not a longevity issue so much as a feel better right here, right now issue. For some annoying reason, I can get very grumpy after a night of pizza and beer- especially when my 5 year old wakes me up on Sat/Sun. Knowing that I'll be getting about 2 hours of sleep a night pretty soon with the little ones, being grumpy is not an option.
Good luck with the twins. Grandfather of identical boys, and great-uncle to fraternal boys, and a boy-girl pair. Lots of work, lots of joy.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
OK, a few of you are probably going to ask me to turn in my man card by the time you finish reading this sentence, but I actually made a low-carb cauliflower crust pizza tonight.

And it wasn't horrible.

I could get a whiff of cauliflower now and then, but not taste it. While the crust certainly didn't taste like crust as anyone from southern CT would know it - and there's no opportunity for char, except the edges - it did hold up to toppings when stretched out very thin.

Toppings were mozz, crumbled hot sausage, shallot and orange bell pepper, with a dusting of romano.

For the recipe I looked at a bunch, but decided on a reliable carnivorous standby, Ree Drummond, who I imagine also made this very reluctantly.

If the crust weren't such a PITA to make, I'd do this more often on weeknights. But as it is a PITA, will only do on a weekend for now.

Reaction Score
OK, a few of you are probably going to ask me to turn in my man card by the time you finish reading this sentence, but I actually made a low-carb cauliflower crust pizza tonight.

And it wasn't horrible.

I could get a whiff of cauliflower now and then, but not taste it. While the crust certainly didn't taste like crust as anyone from southern CT would know it - and there's no opportunity for char, except the edges - it did hold up to toppings when stretched out very thin.

Toppings were mozz, crumbled hot sausage, shallot and orange bell pepper, with a dusting of romano.

For the recipe I looked at a bunch, but decided on a reliable carnivorous standby, Ree Drummond, who I imagine also made this very reluctantly.

If the crust weren't such a PITA to make, I'd do this more often on weeknights. But as it is a PITA, will only do on a weekend for now.
Why on earth would you do this?

Reaction Score
Here's my thing... always seem to fluctuate between 225-235. Without getting into too much detail I workout 4 days a week on average (2 days weight training followed up by 25-30 min of cardio, 2 other days are 45-50 min cardio). I eat healthy 80% of the time, and aren't a big drinker. Meals seem to consist of salad for lunch 3 days a week and the other 2 days is a sandwich with multi grain bread with low sodium turkey/cheese and breakfast consists of cheerios or another multi-grain cereal with low-fat milk for breakfast 6 days a week, dinners are generally lean meat/steamed veggies and brown rice and a small salad. I drink 5-6 bottles of water a day, barely have any sugar. My two vices are pasta (1-2 meals a week) and I treat myself to ice cream 1-2 nights a week.

Went for physical today and weighed in at 240, which is obese for me. I don't know what else I can do to drop 20-30 lbs as I need to, I just get down to 225-230 and can't seem to drop more. I'm healthy, which is good, but just 20 lbs or so overweight. My doctor suggests counting calories (which is a pain I think), and she suggests smaller portions bc I'm doing everything else right.

Would cutting portions help? I do seem to have a large portion of food, even though it does mainly all healthy it's still a lot I can put down.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Why on earth would you do this?

Why do men lift a finger to do anything around the house?

To please my wife, who needs to avoid carbs (which I'm also cutting down on).

10 years ago, this stunning achievement would've merited a grateful bj.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
That's an actual restaurant now and not just a TV show that's interesting every third or fourth week?

The show used to be filmed at Daryl's house in Millerton, New York, but I think he sold it. (For an absolute fortune - near enough to $8M.)

Now it's filmed at the music club in Pawling. And yes, it is an actual restaurant.

Not a great one, but a fun place for a night.

It's close enough that I regret not taking the opportunity to head over and heckle the dopey hippy.

Reaction Score
Why do men lift a finger to do anything around the house?

To please my wife, who needs to avoid carbs (which I'm also cutting down on).

10 years ago, this stunning achievement would've merited a grateful bj.

You should try this recipe next time your wife wants a low carb pie. I think my description of it in the pizza thread was lacking. Takes about 2 minutes of active work. The last time I made it with just garlic slowly cooked in butter instead of cheese/sauce and it was a damn good garlic bread.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
My two vices are pasta (1-2 meals a week) and I treat myself to ice cream 1-2 nights a week.

Would cutting portions help? I do seem to have a large portion of food, even though it does mainly all healthy it's still a lot I can put down.

As someone mentioned a few pages ago, look at the serving size on the pasta box. Then look at your plate. Guaranteed they're not the same.

I'd start there. I know for myself, my average pasta plate was around 2-3 servings.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
You should try this recipe next time your wife wants a low carb pie. I think my description of it in the pizza thread was lacking. Takes about 2 minutes of active work. The last time I made it with just garlic slowly cooked in butter instead of cheese/sauce and it was a damn good garlic bread.

I'll give it a try. I resist almond flour because it's so damn expensive. Cauliflower is almost free.

Reaction Score
The show used to be filmed at Daryl's house in Millerton, New York, but I think he sold it. (For an absolute fortune - near enough to $8M.)

Now it's filmed at the music club in Pawling. And yes, it is an actual restaurant.

It's close enough that I regret not taking the opportunity to head over and heckle the dopey hippy.
Amenia, NY. He lives in Sherman, CT. these days.

Reaction Score
Again, it was a single subordinate clause out of a multi-paragraph narrative. The intent was to illustrate that I do look back on my semi-meat-eating days very fondly. Did my "announcement" that I was at a decent strength level (front squat 1.5x my body weight) make me a tool too?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

I'm here right now fishy come have a beer with me I'll put you on guest list.

I'm on set break for 15 more min.

Sound system incredible here.

Reaction Score
As someone mentioned a few pages ago, look at the serving size on the pasta box. Then look at your plate. Guaranteed they're not the same.

I'd start there. I know for myself, my average pasta plate was around 2-3 servings.

Of course, I'm basically going to cut that as well as other food in almost in half. Also going to switch to eating more fruit as a snack at night instead of the ice cream 1-2 days a week.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm here right now fishy come have a beer with me I'll put you on guest list.

I'm on set break for 15 more min.

Sound system incredible here.

I can't tonight, but definitely give me a head's up the next time you're there.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Here's my thing... always seem to fluctuate between 225-235. Without getting into too much detail I workout 4 days a week on average (2 days weight training followed up by 25-30 min of cardio, 2 other days are 45-50 min cardio). I eat healthy 80% of the time, and aren't a big drinker. Meals seem to consist of salad for lunch 3 days a week and the other 2 days is a sandwich with multi grain bread with low sodium turkey/cheese and breakfast consists of cheerios or another multi-grain cereal with low-fat milk for breakfast 6 days a week, dinners are generally lean meat/steamed veggies and brown rice and a small salad. I drink 5-6 bottles of water a day, barely have any sugar. My two vices are pasta (1-2 meals a week) and I treat myself to ice cream 1-2 nights a week.

Went for physical today and weighed in at 240, which is obese for me. I don't know what else I can do to drop 20-30 lbs as I need to, I just get down to 225-230 and can't seem to drop more. I'm healthy, which is good, but just 20 lbs or so overweight. My doctor suggests counting calories (which is a pain I think), and she suggests smaller portions bc I'm doing everything else right.

What's on the salad? Dressings, croutons and cheese can add up.

Booze too obviously.

You know about the ice cream and pasta already.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Amenia, NY. He lives in Sherman, CT. these days.

Nah, it's in Millerton.

Millerton is a really small place plunked down just north of Amenia on the Connecticut border.

Millerton is the 1950's while Amenia is straight-up Appalachia.

Reaction Score

You can gain weight on a vegetarian diet, only eating the highest quality organic produce and grains. You can lose weight eating only Fritos. I think you know the answer. Obviously, being healthy and having good numbers is important, but if you want to lose weight, you should start counting the calories. It seems you are doing everything else right. It sucks, but as others have mentioned, MyFitnessPal is a good app for keeping track and quite quickly you will have a rough idea of the calories you are putting in.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
(I sleep on the floor and my wife can smell my breath from the bed across the room ).

Wait, you can't just slip that in there at the end like it's nothing. wtf is going on with that?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom