Did you see Walz make the "palming sign" ? | The Boneyard

Did you see Walz make the "palming sign" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Mojeff was dribbling in front of him and the referee was near him...they formed a triangle...and Walz kept "turning over" his hand for 5 seconds

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Mojeff was dribbling in front of him and the referee was near him...they formed a triangle...and Walz kept "turning over" his hand for 5 seconds
He did it several times and I think that was part of the accumulated whining that probably set up his technical.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Doing that isn't so much whining it is trying to get the edge. He is absolutely correct about MoJet constantly turning the ball over.
I'm not talking about the palming act.... He was whining at the refs from the opening tip.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I'm not talking about the palming act.... He was whining at the refs from the opening tip.
Ah. Since I did not see the game I can't disagree at all. MoJett, however, can almost be called for double dribble sometimes because she takes so long to turn the ball over.

Reaction Score
Ah. Since I did not see the game I can't disagree at all. MoJett, however, can almost be called for double dribble sometimes because she takes so long to turn the ball over.
Are you a UConn fan?

Reaction Score

No tongue lashing here but if I had to bring a team into this house, sold out, number one, banners everywhere, Hall of Fame coach, 30 game winning streak etc. I am going to do all I can to get my girls a call or two because it ain't gonna happen on it's own. He did all he could, got T'd up and backed off.

I would remind those who do not watch Geno to do so on March 3rd when we walk into their sell out. Should a couple of ours get in early foul trouble the coat will be off and he will be pointing out anything and everything. Just doing their job .....

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Yeah, and though Jeff knows that Shoni is also a constant palmer, he is doing his job to try and stick something into the refs heads that might buy him a call. As noted many times before, that is the way players are taught to protect the ball while dribbling. Anyone who wants to whine into the winds is free to do so, but the refs would be calling a double-dribble on almost every possession for both teams every game if they enforced that rule, and then boy would we have a whine-fest here. The only possessions that a time would not be called for a double-dribble would be when they just pass and don't dribble.

And Pope graduated last year, and there's no reason to bring religion into these sports discussions unless you're talking about certain actions that are necessary in the last minute of a UConn nailbiter, but this year no human sacrifices have been necessary.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Nah, Dobbs, after the first 3 times players got called they would stop. They do it because they can get away with it.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I don't understand those who are saying that if the rule were enforced, the refs would be calling double dribble. Are we talking about how Mo and Bria palm the ball while dribbling? Or something else? If it's the former, then the proper call would be (if enforced...) a carry. I suppose if she held the ball 'long enough' and also moved her feet, then it's a travel, but we already knew that.

I don't see how double-dribble enters in here.

Reaction Score
I don't understand those who are saying that if the rule were enforced, the refs would be calling double dribble. Are we talking about how Mo and Bria palm the ball while dribbling? Or something else? If it's the former, then the proper call would be (if enforced...) a carry. I suppose if she held the ball 'long enough' and also moved her feet, then it's a travel, but we already knew that.

I don't see how double-dribble enters in here.

If the ball is held, the dribble stops. Starting the dribble again would be a double dribble.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
If the ball is held, the dribble stops. Starting the dribble again would be a double dribble.

'Held' for double dribble must involve the other hand or the body, IIRC. As when the dribble is 'picked up' in the normal fashion.

The carry is a separate violation. If you cease dribbling by standing there and holding your hand underneath the ball, then put your hand back on top to begin another dribble, that is -- to my knowlege -- a carry, defined as its own violation.

If you hold the ball against your hip and then start the dribble again, that is also a double dribble. But again, another part of the body is involved.

Also, the ball doesn't have to held in order for the player to be called for double dribble. It's enough to (accidentally) put both hands on the ball while dribbling and then continue one with the normal one-handed dribble. That's a double dribble.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
walz has always been one of the great whiners, usually from the opening tip. when you do it as consistently as he does, getting the edge ain't gonna happen.

Reaction Score
I hope UConn re-ups with Louisville, Walz is without a doubt the coolest opposing coach to come into Gampel.

Reaction Score
'Held' for double dribble must involve the other hand or the body, IIRC. As when the dribble is 'picked up' in the normal fashion.

The carry is a separate violation. If you cease dribbling by standing there and holding your hand underneath the ball, then put your hand back on top to begin another dribble, that is -- to my knowlege -- a carry, defined as its own violation.

If you hold the ball against your hip and then start the dribble again, that is also a double dribble. But again, another part of the body is involved.

Also, the ball doesn't have to held in order for the player to be called for double dribble. It's enough to (accidentally) put both hands on the ball while dribbling and then continue one with the normal one-handed dribble. That's a double dribble.

"The dribble is completed when the player touches the ball simultaneously with both hands or the ball comes to rest in one or both hands."

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
calpedaler said:
"The dribble is completed when the player touches the ball simultaneously with both hands or the ball comes to rest in one or both hands."

Thanks for providing the text -

Seems to me that its one of those cases where you could call either violation. B/c in order to commit the double dribble with one hand only, you'd also have to carry it.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
It's more of a you had to be there kind of thing, but he was hanging out and joking around with us in the student section for a solid ten or 15 minutes. Came back a couple of times after that too. Was a lot of fun.
Okay. Thanks for sharing that!

Reaction Score
He knows he need calls to have a chance…..he did what any coach with hope would do, work those stripes. And they gave him a couple of calls which were pitiful anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom