Did you ever meet a celebrity that acted like a jerk? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Did you ever meet a celebrity that acted like a jerk?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Spike Lee lives near me so I see him around every so often. Never personally interacted with him but what a bizarre human being. It’s like he doesn’t quite understand how to be a normal person.
From what I’ve observed he’s one of my least favorite humans. Enjoyed his early movies but not a fan of the guy whatsoever now.
My interaction was around 30 years ago. He was having a house built on the Vineyard at the time. It was more awkward than anything; but the Black and white interaction on the Island often reversed the stereotypes because Oak Bluffs has a long history as a Black intellectual and elite community.

Reaction Score
Cornelius Bennett and Thurman Thomas. I was lucky enough to meet a fair amount of athletes and celebrities as a kid and they were the only ones who totally blew me off. Rick Fox was the coolest/nicest I've ever met. Dickie V was just like he is on tv, he's annoying on tv but it's really not an act he's just a nice guy who loves life. I think Spike Lee is just weird and awkward. OJ was larger than life, the most magnetic personality and was talking about all the good looking "white women." Holyfield was cool and told a friend you know which hand is your power hand/strong hand for boxing because it's the one you "beat your meat with."

I'm glad the Bills lost all those Super Bowls.

Reaction Score
So I was in Harv Lipman dealership in East Hartford. Reggie was filming a commercial. A group of salesmen were all complaining about what a jerk he was. This was one of my all time sports heroes. My friend called him and he came over. I introduced myself and told him my son was born on his birthday(I had the birth certificate on me so I could add him to my insurance(this was in 1987). I told him my son's first name was Reggie and his middle name was Jackson. He said...excuse me, you did what? I repeated it and showed him the birth certificate. He chatted with me for a few minutes and game me an autograph. When I left, he waved and said thanks man. That could have really sucked.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
My interaction was around 30 years ago. He was having a house built on the Vineyard at the time. It was more awkward than anything; but the Black and white interaction on the Island often reversed the stereotypes because Oak Bluffs has a long history as a Black intellectual and elite community.
I played Farm Neck once and there was a home on the course with the biggest Yankees flag I'd ever seen. It was literally put there to piss off all of the Mass Sox fans. Heard it was Spike's home but haven't confirmed it.

Reaction Score
Was never a huge A-rod fan but have more respect for him after seeing him in Vail. It was when he was getting his hip done. We stopped into a pizza place in the village apres ski and Arod was there with cousin Yuri and a woman. He wouldn’t sign any autographs for adults but signed for every kid and chatted the kids up and shook their hands. Thought that was well done

Reaction Score
The autograph thing is tricky, and I try not to judge celebrities too much based on that because we have no idea what their experiences were giving autographs prior to that. I enjoy meeting athletes when they’re younger like Rafael Devers and Mookie Betts because they’re not overwhelmed by it yet and generally very accommodating. I met Stephen King at a Sox ST game in 06 and asked for a photo. He shook his head no and wanted no part of it. From what I’ve read he’s just not comfortable with idolatry but after reading a lot of his tweets I think he may just be a ,
The only famous people Ive ever met have been athletes. Don Mattingly was a real down to earth guy when I met him about 20 years ago when he was doing an autograph signing at the Danbury mall. I actually feel weird when asking celebrities for autographs in public outside of an official autograph signing. I heard one time, and I don't know how true it actually is, that celebrities like it better when people ask them to personalize an autograph because that way they know you're not just going to try and sell it to make money. Regardless, Id rather have my picture taken with the person instead of having them sign a piece of paper or ball.

Reaction Score
Not a jerk story at all, but Cam Newton blew me away with how cool he was. When I was younger, my football team got into a Panthers practice, watched the whole thing and got some autographs at the end. After we all collected a decent amount of signatures, Cam came over and handed us the practice ball with his signature on it and offered to play a game with us. He was all time quarterback and we played for 15-20 minutes. We were all around 10 years old, and he did this after a 2 hour practice in full pads. What a cool guy.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Not me. But my nephew does sound for sporting events and has a lot of stories.
I think Thiesman and Keith Olbermann stick out the most.

Reaction Score
I caddied for Sidney Poitier at the Yale Golf Course in the Summer after he won the Academy Award. He is taller than you’d think, a good golfer and complete, down to earth genuine human being. Made me feel like his best friend for 4 hours.

Biggest jerk by very far - Jim Brown. Sat behind him in Fenway Park in 6th game of 1967 World Series, he not only refused to sign autographs for several little kids, he went out of his way to be as nasty as possible. He was sitting with Gates Brown who was clearly embarrassed by Brown’s actions and not only signed for each kid he engaged them in friendly conversation
Have many second-hand stories about various LA Lakers as my former brother-in-law was in their locker room for three decades but those are his to tell about some of the biggest stars in NBA history.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
Ran across Sly Stallone at a restaurant in Westlake Village late 80's. Most disgusting person ever met. Spitting on the floor and blowing his nose by pinching a nostril and blowing hard again on the floor. Had to leave my breakfast uneaten.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I worked at a marina in high school during the summer.

The people who managed Mike Tyson were pretty frequent customers at our gas dock, but one day, Tyson was on the boat, too. (Not a superyacht - just a boat.) I think he was ABC-famous at that point, but not world famous. This was back when he was fighting really often in NY.

15-year old me had to tell Mike Tyson that he had to move because he was sitting on the gas fill and that he had to get off the boat entirely because no one was allowed on the boat or the dock during refueling. He asked why and I said that I thought it was because the boat might blow up. He went and stood about 800 yards from the boat.

That’s it.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Country? Little Big Town were dorks. To be fair I don't think they know what their agent committed them to do.
Saw them in concert on their Tornado Tour. Front row middle. Fantastic concert. I have never met them. I don't doubt you at all. However, I would think country stars are more friendly than that .I have been wrong on many occasions.

Reaction Score
I met Wakefield and Mike Timlin a couple days after they won the World Series in 2004 and they were both very nice. They were probably in a good mood after winning the World Series. They were out to dinner together with their wives at The Capital Grille and our booth was next to theirs so I was back to back with Wakefield. We didn't want to bother them so we told the waitress to buy the table drinks on us. A couple minutes later I get a tap on the shoulder and Wakefield says thanks very much but they're not drinking since they have to get up early the next day for the parade. We talked for a few minutes about how happy they made the city and what it was like to play in Boston. They both were very nice.

I always take stories about celebrities and athletes being jerks with a grain of salt. Think about all the people that want something from them. It's impossible to be nice to every single person they encounter. They could be the nicest people but the one time they don't want to be bothered and someone wants an autograph or a picture taking opportunity and they're not accommodating then that person says they're a jerk. If it's a pattern and they have a reputation of being difficult then they're probably jerks. But if it happens rarely and most of the time they're very nice then that doesn't make them jerks.

Well maybe this tidbit that I left out makes a difference.

Tim was a little preoccupied at the time. And she wasn’t Mrs Wakefield.

Reaction Score
I had to work with a guy on numerous occasions that I thought was just an awful human being. I won't say his name but his father drove a car with the #3 on the side.

Anyone else have such an experience?
I own a flooring company and we were installing the floor at The Sportcenter studio at ESPN. This is March of '92 or '93. I meet Digger Phelps in hallway ( i am wearing a UConn hat). Tell him how I rooted for ND when I was young.
I ask him what he thinks of UConn program. He goes on to tell me that UConn will not do anything in NCAA tourney and that we at best will be a good Big East team but never a Big time national program. Then he walks off.
What a dope and obviously 100% wrong.

Reaction Score
I worked for a filtration company when Jacques Pepin called us direct and said he was having problems with his home filtration and water conditioning systems. Everyone was falling over one another to go on the job. Management sent three of us to investigate. He could not have been nicer and with a good sense of humor. He thanked us for the quick response and made us lunch. It was awsome.

Reaction Score
Robert Vaughn, The Man From U.N.C.L.E. Biggest do--che ever.
He lived across the street from my childhood home in Ridgefield. Never smiled. Always looked miserable. His wife was very nice.

Stanley Tucci who lived a short distance from my house is a super nice guy. I once had a long conversation with him about sports. A real down to earth guy.

Last edited:

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
My limited interactions have all been pleasant.
My wife was at JFK wearing a Sox jersey. Spike walked by and nicely told her she can't wear that shirt there.
My wife's cousin knows a lot of famous people in Cal. He got Orlando Bloom to say hi to her on a video chat. But, he says Kevin Costner is the biggest ____ in town.

Reaction Score
Wouldn’t surprise me. There isn’t anything negative or obnoxious I’ve seen out of him, just a bit off.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom