Did you ever meet a celebrity that acted like a jerk? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Did you ever meet a celebrity that acted like a jerk?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I had to work with a guy on numerous occasions that I thought was just an awful human being. I won't say his name but his father drove a car with the #3 on the side.

Anyone else have such an experience?

I didn't meet Jr. but a bunch of people I worked with who met Jr and many other celebs all had good things to say about him. This would have been in 2006 timeframe.

Reaction Score
I worked at a marina in high school during the summer.

The people who managed Mike Tyson were pretty frequent customers at our gas dock, but one day, Tyson was on the boat, too. (Not a superyacht - just a boat.) I think he was ABC-famous at that point, but not world famous. This was back when he was fighting really often in NY.

15-year old me had to tell Mike Tyson that he had to move because he was sitting on the gas fill and that he had to get off the boat entirely because no one was allowed on the boat or the dock during refueling. He asked why and I said that I thought it was because the boat might blow up. He went and stood about 800 yards from the boat.

That’s it.
Thank god that interaction didn’t end in a throat punch.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Didn’t meet him, but saw Sammy Davis Jr perform at the old Oakdale Theater in the Round. On top of the fact that he had had a bit to drink, he got totally obnoxious to some guy whose big sin was to yell a request. Davis went off on the guy, basically saying “i’m a multimillionaire who are you?”

Compare that to Ben Vereen who we saw at the same venue. You aren’t supposed to take photos. But when he spotted people with cameras, he would strike a pose for them to shoot.

Reaction Score
There was a call in to win a lunch and autograph afternoon with Tim Wakefield about 15 years ago or so. My mother actually won on a CT station so me and my wife brought my son (Yanks fan) and his best buddy (Sox fan). There were 4 winners so 16 people with Tim and a couple Sox reps. He was a complete gentleman and very talkative with the kids especially talking about baseball. I had a UConn shirt on and we talked for a while about UConn hoops as well as his SS in college at FIU as he went to Maloney with me a couple years younger.

Another time we had the same group at my company seats for a game and pregame allowed to go on the field and walk the warning track and get pics with the players. The kids had pics with Damon, Varitek and basically about 15 other players and Tito as well. My son had a Yankee hat on so many of them put their hands over the NY for pics and had fun with it. Varitek pretended to throw it over the Green Monster. But 200 feet away Papi and Manny were horsing around with kids yelling for them to come over but both ignored the kids and never came close to getting any pics.

Reaction Score
I won’t tell the entire story but I nearly swung at the presidents youngest son and his friends at a sorority party in Syracuse. His friends came over to tell me he’s taking my girlfriend home tonight. In retrospect I probably should have let him when she decided to go to that school. Either way it turned out they were scared to fight me 3 on 1. He’s exactly what you would expect.

Side note: Kevin Bacon is a really nice guy. Colin Cowherd, surprising nice. Scott van pelt is probably the nicest celebrity I’ve met in person. Matthew Berry kind of a d bag.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This was back in the 90's when UConn was playing a CBS Saturday game. My buddy asked for both seats so he could take his sweetie. I said fine and I met some friends upstairs at Bradley Teletheater. We had the little TV on the table tuned to the game. Tim Higgins was one of the refs and I heard the guys at the next table saying that "Timmy" would be coming later. Sure enough, the game is over and Higgins was there almost immediately. "Geez Tim, did you even shower?" I heard. So Tim Higgins is my celeb. And Bill Pidto came to a tailgate once.

Reaction Score
I own a flooring company and we were installing the floor at The Sportcenter studio at ESPN. This is March of '92 or '93. I meet Digger Phelps in hallway ( i am wearing a UConn hat). Tell him how I rooted for ND when I was young.
I ask him what he thinks of UConn program. He goes on to tell me that UConn will not do anything in NCAA tourney and that we at best will be a good Big East team but never a Big time national program. Then he walks off.
What a dope and obviously 100% wrong.
Most important question though is what color tie and highlighter did he have?

Reaction Score
I sat across the aisle from a certain UConn coach on an airplane and this individual couldn't have been more arrogant. Talking very loudly on a cellphone during the entire boarding process and when it was time to taxi they were asked multiple times to turn off the phone. The first two requests were ignored completely. The third request resulted in the flight attendant being shooed away with their hand. One of those people for whom the rules don't apply because they're too important. Remained obnoxious when in the air. Very disappointing.

On the positive side, I caddied for a friend in the pro-am at Colonial. The pros have to participate in a certain number of these each year and they probably dread having to do it. I get that and at the banquet the night before we heard many horror stories from past participants about how dismissive or outright rude their pro was to them. Well, we got put with Dustin Johnson and he was really cool (as was his caddie/brother Austin). Some holes he walked up the fairway away from the group but on others if you happened to be alongside him he would go through his thought process for playing the hole: where he wants to hit his tee shot so that he is left with such and such a club, etc...He knew when one of the amateurs had a putt that mattered and he would come over, unsolicited, take the player's putter and read the green and line up the putt for them. During a back-up on a par 3 he took time take pictures, sign balls, sign flags.... His easygoing demeanor never changes. I know he's done some less than wonderful things in life but this was a very good experience.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Met Keith Hernandez, and thought we were gonna be good friends, but then he asked me to help him move.
I was eating dinner in the Jupiter FL and a no-reservations place and one of the guys said "Hey, that's Keith Hernandez!" And waiting in line was a party of 4 that included Keith. I said that makes sense it's spring training time. And the guy says "Keith Hernandez played baseball?"

Reaction Score
I didn't meet Jr. but a bunch of people I worked with who met Jr and many other celebs all had good things to say about him. This would have been in 2006 timeframe.
He was terrible. I shot a number of commercials with him. He wouldn't talk to anyone on the set. He treated everyone as a stranger. I nevr met anyone who treated people -especially those he was suppose to be collarbarating with -- so poorly. Between takes he would hide in a corner with his two handlers and ignore the rest folks involved. When he was on camera, he was uncooperative. He would figure out he minimum he had to do then give you just little less. He always tried to leave early. He often used the helicopter he demanded as a reason he had to leave, although I was the one paying for the helicopter. I worked with him in the for a few years around 2005-2009. It was always the same.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I was in Hawaii for a high school trip back in 2003, and we saw Tia and Tamara Mowry (the Sister, Sister twins) walking with a friend (not famous) on the other side of the street. There was a group of us, and being dumb high school kids, we basically just yelled "TIA AND TAMARA!" and ran across the street to talk to them. They were very nice, and probably had every reason to not be. After a few minutes, their not-famous friend said "OK, we have to go" and basically dragged the two of them away. That's probably why she was there. Either way, I've always had a lot of respect for them not being short with us.

I also met Ron Darling 8ish years ago, he was one of the speakers at a breakfast event in Long Wharf, talking about the epic game he pitched against Frank Viola in college. I got to meet him and tell him I was a big fan. It was a small gathering, because of a snowstorm, but there were enough people there that wanted to talk to him so I didn't talk his ear off. At one point during a lull, he struck up conversation with me, since I made it clear that I was a big Mets fan. He told me not to get too discouraged, that he thought that the team had a chance with the young pitching coming up to be pretty good soon. He was right -- I'm pretty sure the next season is when Matt Harvey debuted, and they made the World Series 3 years later.

Reaction Score
I had to work with a guy on numerous occasions that I thought was just an awful human being. I won't say his name but his father drove a car with the #3 on the side.

Anyone else have such an experience?
Giants fan but to one one's surprise I'm sure .... J. Shockey and possee at bar in Miami airport. Loud, drunk and loud and drunk.

Reaction Score
I was eating dinner in the Jupiter FL and a no-reservations place and one of the guys said "Hey, that's Keith Hernandez!" And waiting in line was a party of 4 that included Keith. I said that makes sense it's spring training time. And the guy says "Keith Hernandez played baseball?"

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
Went with my wife to see a taping of Rachel Ray. She was obnoxious as hell to her crew during commercial breaks.

On the positive side, sat at a table directly in front of Kevin Ollie at lunch on Maui the day of the 2010 Maui Inv final against Kentucky. We realized he was behind us about halfway through our meal. We were decked out in UConn gear. He was with his family. When he finished eating he stopped at our table and spent a few minutes with us. Could not have been any nicer. Makes me sad to think about it now....

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
A former UConn legend who also coaches a central Connecticut school...

Idk how old you were, I ran into him when I was a kid and he was at UConn and he was great.

he let us waltz right into the hallways in gampel and gave us directions to the locker room to meet more players

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Always heard good things about Wakefield. As for Daubach, I was walking towards the pissah at a Boston bar as he was leaving it. Post playing career obviously. Could not have been nicer, talked for a few minutes and he thanked me for saying hi.
I'll never understand why Tampa Bay spent an entire year trying to drill him.

RON

Reaction Score
I've met a TON of famous people and only 2 were ever jerks. Pitcher Phil Hughes and Milton Berle.

Apollo

step back from the ledge
Reaction Score
I used to work at ESPN. Ran into celebrities and athletes quite often and most interactions were formal but pleasant. The only one I remember bring a complete d-nozzle on a couple occasions was Mike Greenberg. On the flip side Rob Dibble was cool as hell.

Reaction Score
He was terrible. I shot a number of commercials with him. He wouldn't talk to anyone on the set. He treated everyone as a stranger. I nevr met anyone who treated people -especially those he was suppose to be collarbarating with -- so poorly. Between takes he would hide in a corner with his two handlers and ignore the rest folks involved. When he was on camera, he was uncooperative. He would figure out he minimum he had to do then give you just little less. He always tried to leave early. He often used the helicopter he demanded as a reason he had to leave, although I was the one paying for the helicopter. I worked with him in the for a few years around 2005-2009. It was always the same.
Maybe he wasn't comfortable in that setting. I worked at his house, as a subcontractor, and he was friendly, talkative and generally curious as to how the whole process went. After work was done for the day, he invited us to have a couple drinks by the pool. This was every day during the project. We all got VIP Passes to the 600. Pretty nice guy if you ask me.

Reaction Score
I guess there are a lot of famous people around where I live, but not being a fan of current pop culture, I wouldn't know who they were anyway.

Met Lawrence Taylor several times at the same club in Miami. Seemed nice enough.

A couple of weeks ago while having breakfast on the beach, I saw Dennis Rodman. I elected not to approach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom