Did Shabazz disrespect UF fans? | The Boneyard

Did Shabazz disrespect UF fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Much has been made about Donovan's quote and lack of Shabazz mention.

But after Bazz came back on the court it looked like he was yelling for the Florida fans to "get out of here," and I thought I could still see the UF players in the area.

Did anyone else see this? Could this have caused Donovan to sour on Bazz?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

But after Bazz came back on the court it looked like he was yelling for the Florida fans to "get out of here," and I thought I could still see the UF players in the area.

What drugs are you and the ball taking? You might want to reduce the dose!

Reaction Score
It's incredible how many smart guys we got on here and how much friendly fire is shot. It was a legit question

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
welcome to the yard :)

I don't think Bazz would react like that, so I doubt it

Reaction Score

Kind of relevant to what you are saying; DD, Olander, Phil, Giffey, and Tolk all shook hands with the Gators. May have been more but they were the only ones to come to the student section after the game.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
It was a question, not sure why you have to be disrespectful
I was just having some fun with you! We can and do speculate on anything and everything. Your observation is purely speculative and well below a list of factors that would have led BD to make his statement. And that presumes BD was being disrespectful to Bazz which is questionable in that the quote of "luck" refers to the play as much as to Bazz. The ambiguity of language allows some to interpret it one way and others to interpret it another.

But to come to your conclusion takes associative behavior to whole other level.

Reaction Score
If you watch on tv, he looks to be doing a kicking motion. Wasn't sure who he was doing it to. Maybe some one who was there saw it

ctchamps

Reaction Score
If you watch on tv, he looks to be doing a kicking motion. Wasn't sure who he was doing it to. Maybe some one who was there saw it
He was too busy celebrating and wanting to be with the students. Any body language you are observing would more likely been of that nature. I would bet any amount that at that moment of victory Bazz had zero thoughts about Florida, its team or fans. It was about the moment for him which was UCONN! UCONN! UCONN! team and student fans.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
If I'm thinking of what he's talking about I saw something at the end of the game but not disrespecting. He kicked the air and said get out. Nothing wrong with that

Reaction Score

Noticed that on tv as well... but I thought it was done more out of him being so amped up and in celebration. Can't really see him doing that out anger after just winning the game like that... but who knows maybe some Florida fans were a**holes and he told him to get out of his house...

Reaction Score
I saw it. No question that Bazz was doing a kicking motion and saying get out of here towards the Gator fans. But that's having some emotional release after one heck of a game and finish and I think BD sees that - he's not a bad dude. And, the shot, in whole, WAS extremely lucky so BD wasn't wrong. Not lucky that it went in but lucky that he had just shot the ball seconds before, that he was in place and got the rebound, got the shot off over the defending player, got it off in time, and then went in. I also saw that KO had some words for Bazz though. Don't know what was said so as fleud states; we shouldn't speculate. In the end, I trust that KO will nip anything negative in the bud before anything got/gets going with BD, Bazz or anyone.

Reaction Score
He just hit a huge shot to win a big game. Pure heat of the moment reaction. Zero problem with anything that happened in the post game celebration.

Reaction Score
Bazz was also quoted as saying he has claustrophobia and was afraid to be surrounded by hundreds of fans with a possibly court storming. That's why he ran towards the locker room immediately after that shot.
I didn't hear him say "get out" but it's possible he was afraid to get mobbed.

Reaction Score

Yeah, you can see this move in the ESPN highlights, he was 'kicking' Florida out to go back home, and you can read his lips saying "GET OUTTA HERE!"

I love that about Shabazz, he's one of those guys you'd absolutely hate if he was on an opposing team

Reaction Score

I was there and I just remember him immediately running toward the tunnel to the locker room tbh... Not that I was trying to focus on what he was doing specifically so I could have missed what you're referring to

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I get the momentum carried him a little bit, but was disappointed he ran right through the tunnel and out the door. I thought that was a bit disrespectful. He should have turned right around as soon as his momentum stopped and gone over to shake the UF players' hands.

As I watched Ollie after that, I thought his lack of effusive praise for Napier was a subtle indication he was not pleased either. I get that Ollie is all about team, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a conversation between he and Shabazz on how to act immediately after the final horn sounds.

Reaction Score

I saw it. In that moment I would imagine their fans were still trying to wrap their minds around what just happened. I don't think it would be an issue. Just celebrating.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I could only dream about hitting a buzzer beating winning shot in any game, never mind a game of such significance. And in my dreams I have a gazillion scenarios about how I would behave after making the shot.

Yeah. Right. My dreams stop after hitting the shot!!

I could care less how he behaved after the shot. Is it really necessary to find fault with Bazz after this game? Are people so jaded they have to cross examine Florida fans, Billy Donovan, and a post game celebration when the outcome was so exciting and favorable for UConn?

Bazz's behavior might have been outside the realm of "appropriate behavior" for some of us, but it certainly was not extraordinarily deviant.

Reaction Score
I could only dream about hitting a buzzer beating winning shot in any game, never mind a game of such significance. And in my dreams I have a gazillion scenarios about how I would behave after making the shot.

Yeah. Right. My dreams stop after hitting the shot!!

I could care less how he behaved after the shot. Is it really necessary to find fault with Bazz after this game? Are people so jaded they have to cross examine Florida fans, Billy Donovan, and a post game celebration when the outcome was so exciting and favorable for UConn?

Bazz's behavior might have been outside the realm of "appropriate behavior" for some of us, but it certainly was not extraordinarily deviant.

After a win, specifically one in dramatic fashion like that, step 1 is celebrating as you naturally are going to, but you do complete step 2 which is shaking hands. They did shake hands eventually, right? You can't NOT celebrate, you just hit the game winner and won a game that seemed like it wasn't going your way

Reaction Score
I would never, ever expect an opponent who hit a game-winning buzzer-beater against us to just go shake hands without celebrating. It's an exciting moment that doesn't come along often - let people have their moment. Our guys did their celebration, came back out to shake hands after about 30 seconds, and life goes on. If he taunted the other team, well, then I'd take issue (as would most people).

Reaction Score
So are we going to talk about Wilbekin's gesture after hitting that shot right before the half if we're going to talk about this then? Probably was nothing, but seemed a bit directed towards our bench

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom