Did Shabazz disrespect UF fans? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Did Shabazz disrespect UF fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I get the momentum carried him a little bit, but was disappointed he ran right through the tunnel and out the door. I thought that was a bit disrespectful. He should have turned right around as soon as his momentum stopped and gone over to shake the UF players' hands.

As I watched Ollie after that, I thought his lack of effusive praise for Napier was a subtle indication he was not pleased either. I get that Ollie is all about team, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a conversation between he and Shabazz on how to act immediately after the final horn sounds.

Shabazz was the first one to shake Pat Young's hand. They were in the tunnel about 15 seconds and then came right back on the court to shake hands. I'm not sure what you were seeing, but the idea that a second after a kid hits a game winner and Gampel explodes he's going to walk over to the other team to shake hands is ridiculous. Let them have a tiny bit of fun. No one was disrespected.

Reaction Score
Bazz was also quoted as saying he has claustrophobia and was afraid to be surrounded by hundreds of fans with a possibly court storming. That's why he ran towards the locker room immediately after that shot.
I didn't hear him say "get out" but it's possible he was afraid to get mobbed.
The university does everything it can to prevent court stormings, but I can understand Bazz's excitement and actions at the end of the game.

What I find amusing is instead of witnessing a court storming we witnessed a court evacuation. :D

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Shabazz was the first one to shake Pat Young's hand. They were in the tunnel about 15 seconds and then came right back on the court to shake hands. I'm not sure what you were seeing, but the idea that a second after a kid hits a game winner and Gampel explodes he's going to walk over to the other team to shake hands is ridiculous. Let them have a tiny bit of fun. No one was disrespected.
I get the celebrating. I get the jumping all around. But Kemba never did that even after his huge shot won the BET, and I don't think anyone would argue that was a much bigger win. I don't think any of the criticisms (which are all slight and minor) are "ridiculous". You make it sound like we want to hang the guy.

I was just pointing out that it would have been classier, and better sportsmanship, to have celebrated on the court and not disappeared out of the stadium entirely. It's not a big deal either way, but I think it's hard to argue it would have been better had Napier not left the building...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
After a win, specifically one in dramatic fashion like that, step 1 is celebrating as you naturally are going to, but you do complete step 2 which is shaking hands. They did shake hands eventually, right? You can't NOT celebrate, you just hit the game winner and won a game that seemed like it wasn't going your way

I guess the question is whether all of them (including Napier) shook hands. There are comments above that some did, but maybe not all. I don't mind celebration (although he ran too far), or even taunting opposing fans a bit in your own on campus arena (not a a neutral site). But you shake hands and respect the opponent that damned near beat you in your house. I have little doubt that KO feels this way and will say whatever needs to be said. It's about showing class and sportsmanship.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Just like Bo Jackson running clear out of the stadium

Reaction Score
I guess the question is whether all of them (including Napier) shook hands. There are comments above that some did, but maybe not all. I don't mind celebration (although he ran too far), or even taunting opposing fans a bit in your own on campus arena (not a a neutral site). But you shake hands and respect the opponent that damned near beat you in your house. I have little doubt that KO feels this way and will say whatever needs to be said. It's about showing class and sportsmanship.

He did. It was on camera. They all came back out of the tunnel, and Napier hugged Patric Young and spoke to him for about five seconds. The camera was zoomed in close so you couldn't see if all 15 UConn guys were shaking hands, but there's no reason to believe they weren't.

Reaction Score
Bazz is a certified assassin. Ollie better not take away any of those bullets.

Loved the celebration and hopefully Devin Robinson tuned in with a box of Kleenex as UConn celebrated. ;)
Ha, I was curious what he was going to say about this game, so I checked out his Twitter, and he does not hold Shabazz in the highest regard:

Cha$e Lavender ‏@_drobbbb 17h
@J_Newton20: Shabazz Napier Tufffffffffffffff.” He not like that..

That was all luck..

@Smittee_ nahh all he do is jack

And Shabazz has only this to say:
TwxEflG.gif

Reaction Score
Much has been made about Donovan's quote and lack of Shabazz mention.

But after Bazz came back on the court it looked like he was yelling for the Florida fans to "get out of here," and I thought I could still see the UF players in the area.

Did anyone else see this? Could this have caused Donovan to sour on Bazz?

did u stop off at the pharmacy for some tampax?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He did. It was on camera. They all came back out of the tunnel, and Napier hugged Patric Young and spoke to him for about five seconds. The camera was zoomed in close so you couldn't see if all 15 UConn guys were shaking hands, but there's no reason to believe they weren't.

Good. I wasn't there and didn't see that on TV. I saw them come back out, and then saw interviews with Ollie and Bazz.

Young is a beast by the way. Damn....why don't we ever have those guys? OK, maybe Alex O had close to that body, but didn't have the game most nights.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I'm proud of the fact we didn't storm the court. As great a win as that was over a quality opponent, we are UConn and we expect much more

although I'm smart enough to enjoy the ride

learned that lesson in the 90's

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
and if Bazz had something to say

1) KO will fix it
2) it was probably the result of trash talking throughout the game

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Bazz wasn't kicking the fan's out of gampel, he was kicking the players out. His kicking motion was directly at the players as they were walking out of the away team's tunnel.

I'll give him a pass, he was hyped, but it wasn't exactly classy.

Reaction Score
I get the celebrating. I get the jumping all around. But Kemba never did that even after his huge shot won the BET, and I don't think anyone would argue that was a much bigger win. I don't think any of the criticisms (which are all slight and minor) are "ridiculous". You make it sound like we want to hang the guy.

I was just pointing out that it would have been classier, and better sportsmanship, to have celebrated on the court and not disappeared out of the stadium entirely. It's not a big deal either way, but I think it's hard to argue it would have been better had Napier not left the building...

The fun police is here I see. I don't know that it would have been "classier" for him to have danced around on the court, but to each is own I suppose. It's not like he planned in the pre-game to run out of the building and, of course, they came right back on the court to shake hands so I'm not sure where the "better sportsmanship" comes in.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say you were never near the court when Kemba hit a game winner because I think you would have passed out when you heard what usually came out of his mouth.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Just like Bo Jackson running clear out of the stadium

Bo Jackson was unbelievable. Such a shame he was injured and his career shortened. I saw him hit a mammoth home run in Kansas City and it didn't seem that he really swung all that hard.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The fun police is here I see. I don't know that it would have been "classier" for him to have danced around on the court, but to each is own I suppose. It's not like he planned in the pre-game to run out of the building and, of course, they came right back on the court to shake hands so I'm not sure where the "better sportsmanship" comes in.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say you were never near the court when Kemba hit a game winner because I think you would have passed out when you heard what usually came out of his mouth.
Seriously? No, I don't think I would have passed out. But thanks for trying to take a pot shot where it simply isn't necessary. I'm going to take a wild guess and say you are the type of guy who would have left and not come back tossing a "f*(k you", or one fingered salute, over your shoulder on the way out.

Reaction Score
Kemba=KG in terms of colorful language

As if this putz knows anything about championship caliber basketball. You have a cute little team this year that might actually win a game or two in the NIT Tourney.. but only if your coach buys a hat.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I'm with ericsandiego on this. I get that emotion takes over and you do what you do, but 'Bazz is a senior and I expect more from him than running out of the building. It does strike me as somehow disrespectful. Granted he came back on the court, but you celebrate on the court where you did all the damage and bask in the glory of the fans.
I also wondered if he was kicking at the Gator fans. If so, again, I expect more from him.

Reaction Score
I'm with ericsandiego on this. I get that emotion takes over and you do what you do, but 'Bazz is a senior and I expect more from him than running out of the building. It does strike me as somehow disrespectful. Granted he came back on the court, but you celebrate on the court where you did all the damage and bask in the glory of the fans.
I also wondered if he was kicking at the Gator fans. If so, again, I expect more from him.

Oh my god, I'm so embarrassed that there are UConn fans like this, Shabazz never 'ran out of the building', he ran into the tunnel and then came right back out. He shook hands, he celebrated with the fans, and got animated celebrating on the court in a way that certainly pumped up the fans in the house.

I guess some of you people wish all the players were like Jerome Dyson, who was stoic and emotionless almost all of the time. I prefer to have my Huskies like Kemba, Shabazz, AJ Price, Khalid and so on. Guys who have so much love and excitement for the game that they cant hold it in. That kind of energy is infectious, and it spreads to the rest of the team, which is what creates a great and bonded team that fights for each other and also gets that emotion out of the fans. I dont want to watch and root for a team who looks less excited playing the game than I do watching them play it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom