Did Geno throw the team under a bus ? | The Boneyard

Did Geno throw the team under a bus ?

Reaction Score
Geno ranted after the game about his very immature and pouty team , feeling sorry for themselves when things don't go their way. They certainly are a young team, with 3 frosh on the floor a lot of the second half. And maybe the veterans do get down on themselves at times. But seems like something all coaches have to deal with at times, and you'd think( well, I think) a hall of fame coach might find a way to shake them up during the course of a game. It took a player, Anna, to step forward and say something during the Baylor game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If I were to fault Geno’s coaching in the game it was in not realizing in first quarter than the team was not meshing. I would have rushed Anna into the game, not just to add a three point shooter, but to add her passing and court vision which would have taken pressure off Paige and improved ball movement. When he didn’t, I pretty much figured we would lose.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Nah. He was rather tame and upbeat.

Maturity in sports comes through experience and facing adversity in big moments. He said what this team went through will benefit them next year when he intends to be coaching in the final four.

The disappointments of 2001 and 2008 led to great success. We'll see what happens.

Reaction Score
Of course we don’t know what’s in Geno’s head. But I would guess he accepts most of the blame for how the team played and the loss. I think he was energized by this team, while also realizing that it is both young and immature. It doesn’t have to be one or the other. He talked many times about how much fun this freshman group was to work with. So no, I don’t believe he threw the team under the bus.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
If I were to fault Geno’s coaching in the game it was in not realizing in first quarter than the team was not meshing. I would have rushed Anna into the game, not just to add a three point shooter, but to add her passing and court vision which would have taken pressure off Paige and improved ball movement. ....
in fact, when nika eventually entered the game the team moved more efficiently. her impact was positive -- and she forcefully introduced herself to aari ;), which certainly was in contrast to the rest of the team.

perhaps nika should have started?

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
First of all, it is not something unique to Paige but probably to all the freshman. Geno has been saying this all year. As a group, he does not think they listen to him (at times?) like they should and we just smiled and said 'sure Geno'

My guess is that they all have so much talent that they probably get so many positive results (in practice as well as games) even if they are not following coaching directions exactly or not making the right reads etc.

The fact that they are so close (especially the freshman) probably makes the instructional dynamics more difficult since they tend to group think and believe as all uber talented kids do that they have it and it is hard to instruct such a tight group individually.

We laughed when Nika joked with Paige how they ignored Geno regarding shot selection but it just may have some real truth how they interact at times with the coaching staff.

I assume both players and coaches will think very hard and work hard on how to be on the same page

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
First, of all the pressers I watched, Geno gave the most credit to the winning team, which should be applauded.

Second, I think about the comment at the end of the Baylor game. Geno told Paige that she didn't run the play correctly, and she responded "We won." I know there was another topic specifically on this. To me, this was an immature and seemingly disrespectful answer by Paige. Maybe she was joking, who knows? But it seems like some of these players are not absorbing as much of what the coaching staff is trying to teach them, at least that's my impression of what Geno is saying.

ETA: I see that eebmg came to a similar conclusion as me, probably more eloquently.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Did you guys just start watching UConn this season? He’s always played his Jedi mind tricks after a loss in the post-season. These comments aren’t throwing anyone under the bus, he’s challenging the team to improve. And history has shown, anything he’s said in public he’s said in private a hundred times.

Reaction Score
First, of all the pressers I watched, Geno gave the most credit to the winning team, which should be applauded.

Second, I think about the comment at the end of the Baylor game. Geno told Paige that she didn't run the play correctly, and she responded "We won." I know there was another topic specifically on this. To me, this was an immature and seemingly disrespectful answer by Paige. Maybe she was joking, who knows? But it seems like some of these players are not absorbing as much of what the coaching staff is trying to teach them, at least that's my impression of what Geno is saying.

ETA: I see that eebmg came to a similar conclusion as me, probably more eloquently.
I thought Geno's press conference after the game was really good for someone whose team just got whacked in the national semi-final. Though Geno I think has always been pretty good in this sort of moment. Lots of credit to Arizona and Aari McDonald. No cheap shots at the officiating or making excuses. Just basically said the other team is really good, has a really good guard that we had no answer for, and said his team basically didn't take the challenge seriously and will learn a lesson and intends to be back at the final four next year.

Reaction Score
Plan A was sound. We got more than enough shots in the paint at point blank range to comfortably win the game. But when that wasn't working, the team became understandably demoralized, as there was no plan B or C. My own headscratcher came at the beginning of the fourth, when we didn't immediately try to speed up the pace of our offensive play and shoot ourselves back into the game from mostly beyond the arc. At that point, we had only traded baskets since a comparable ten-point deficit at half time, and new tactics were immediately needed.

Geno really didn't make any meaningful adjustments last night when it became clear his bigs were not finishing. He just kept subbing Ono and Edwards and in and out for one another. Criticism of the head coach is also warranted for not cultivating over the course of the season the kind of play that was his plan A last night. You can't suddenly change from a guard-centric scoring approach to an inside game at the flip of a coin in a big game like this and expect success. In the two games we lost this season, the team demonstrated little awareness of how to seize upon a height and size advantage on the inside when these are the only real matchups in your favor, as the continual and misguided high-post action last night indicates.

Having said all that, I thought his straight talk during the post-game presser was appropriate and on point, as it always is. If anything, he protected his bigs from criticism that may have been due, as he usually does with any players who unfortunately mess up in the national semi-final game (i.e. Chong in 2017).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
in fact, when nika eventually entered the game the team moved more efficiently. her impact was positive -- and she forcefully introduced herself to aari ;), which certainly was in contrast to the rest of the team.

perhaps nika should have started?
In hindsight, I think she should have and I posted that a couple of days before she was cleared. Her presence and intensity on the court would have prevented the malaise the team evidently went into when Arizona hit them with a good right hand immediately after the opening bell.

JBK

Reaction Score
Geno ranted after the game about his very immature and pouty team , feeling sorry for themselves when things don't go their way. They certainly are a young team, with 3 frosh on the floor a lot of the second half. And maybe the veterans do get down on themselves at times. But seems like something all coaches have to deal with at times, and you'd think( well, I think) a hall of fame coach might find a way to shake them up during the course of a game. It took a player, Anna, to step forward and say something during the Baylor game.
Interesting. He also stated Paige has a lot to learn on and off the court —- everyone does - including coaches

Reaction Score
I thought Geno was spot on with what he said and his tone. It was a stark opposite of Kim's just a few days ago or Dawn's earlier in the year. Praised the winning team for playing a great and their floor leader for playing a great game. Then mostly for his fan base said what UConn needed to fix before next year and promised that they would do what was needed to return. I believe they will. To me it looked like Arizona memorized Arkansas game plan and did it even better. UConn did not play the way they had just before the tourney and continued slipping back to the early season style we started to notice in the Baylor game - individual play, few assists, hesitant shooting. It started to turn back around in the 4th quarter when Nike too over the point. She brings the ball up fast and with energy before the defense can set up. It almost turned the game back around except Arizona was able to withstand it. E brought it up for most of the game at a much more leisurely pace. Paige used the same pace as did CW. This is why Geno like Nika bringing up the ball. At no point was there any danger of getting trapped.

Reaction Score
To a sweet the subject line question.

No

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Listen to most other coaches' postgame press conferences. Win or lose, they spew superficial pablum. They all seem to share a scriptwriter who couldn't hack it penning copy for laundry soap advertisements.

Then there's Geno. He gives real answers. One may not like his style, but it's hard to question his honesty. He doesn't throw his players under the bus.
When asked about Christyn's remark about the team not taking their opponent seriously, he said (paraphrasing) that if that's what happened, it was a coaching failure.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Did you guys just start watching UConn this season? He’s always played his Jedi mind tricks after a loss in the post-season. These comments aren’t throwing anyone under the bus, he’s challenging the team to improve. And history has shown, anything he’s said in public he’s said in private a hundred times.
As an aside, just because I am curious: do you know if Geno has a sit down end of season interview with all the players individually or as a team. Sorry it comes across as an either or question, not my intention. I know he talks to the team right after the game, just wondering if he takes a more formal approach to what may be a work on this or attitude change on something kind of sit down.

Reaction Score
If I were to fault Geno’s coaching in the game it was in not realizing in first quarter than the team was not meshing. I would have rushed Anna into the game, not just to add a three point shooter, but to add her passing and court vision which would have taken pressure off Paige and improved ball movement. When he didn’t, I pretty much figured we would lose.
I agree. It was shocking to see Nika appear. To me, it was immediately apparent she wasn't what she was, pre-injury. Didn't have the energy, the speed, the tenacity or the confidence. In other words, she wasn't fully recovered. Is Geno making coaching errors that he didn't use to make? Does his criticism, post game, reflect a change?

I think we are looking for ghosts to blame. Hopefully, Geno is the same master coach and strategist, as well as psychiatrist. We just can't abide losing. We can't conceive of a team that is better, with a better plan. Even for one game.

Players have to do the rest.

Reaction Score
As an aside, just because I am curious: do you know if Geno has a sit down end of season interview with all the players individually or as a team. Sorry it comes across as an either or question, not my intention. I know he talks to the team right after the game, just wondering if he takes a more formal approach to what may be a work on this or attitude change on something kind of sit down.
I would think a coach of his status, and success, would have a "plan" for each player. How to develop, get stronger and faster, build skill sets, and gain needed or appropriate experience on the court. For example, he can't just let Piath return to New Hampshire and play "one on one" with the neighbors in her driveway. If he wants her to be a force in the paint, she has got miles to go and needs a structure. So I wager he meets with each athlete. Not sure what he'l have for Autumn...but that would also be fascinating to hear.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I would think a coach of his status, and success, would have a "plan" for each player. How to develop, get stronger and faster, build skill sets, and gain needed or appropriate experience on the court. For example, he can't just let Piath return to New Hampshire and play "one on one" with the neighbors in her driveway. If he wants her to be a force in the paint, she has got miles to go and needs a structure. So I wager he meets with each athlete. Not sure what he'l have for Autumn...but that would also be fascinating to hear.
Improve penmanship.?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom