Did Geno throw the team under a bus ? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Did Geno throw the team under a bus ?

Reaction Score
he's gotten lots of practice the last 4 final fours.

Just as aside, reaching 4 final fours in a row would be a career changing accomplishment for 99.9% of women’s D-1 coaches, let alone 13 in a row. Nothing wrong with having an opinion, but the majority of the best coaches I’ve been around were only concerned with the opinions of two groups of people: their players and their peers. JMO

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
This is a little off of the story line but why does ESPN almost always have the tag line of HOF Coach Tara Vanderveer, inducted in 2011. When it comes to Geno they usually just state Coach Geno Auriemma, inducted in 2006.

Reaction Score
Once again, the coach doesn't shoot the lay ups but it was clear early in the game that 2 things were happening. First, we were not mentally focused sufficiently and to me the missed lay ups are a manifestation of that. Second, the high post offense where the ball gets passed to Liv with her back to the basket was dead on arrival. They overplayed the first pass, causing the offense to move farther out and then overplayed the next pass to the wing. There was no alternative offensive set.

If you watched the men's final you saw Baylor run three different sets, a horns high, a horns low and mostly a 3-2 perimeter dribble drive set. Our strength this year and next and next is in our guards and that 3-2 opens the lane for drives. We had our best rebounder in Liv away from the glass and it forced her to make offensive passing decisions which, as a nervous player in big games, was a problem. AZ had a much better game plan, and it shows plainly to me that we need an alternative set next year. There were no major adjustments from Geno during the game which I was quite frankly stunned by. For the Baylor men, there are high post picks from the 3-2 but not passes there and the picker quickly rolls to and away from the basket and the middle stays open or the wings get a clear out because the low post player on that side clears out. We will have 4 players who can take their man on demand next year in CW, Paige, Azzi and Evina and we need a new offense for that. I don't see any harm in trying it and I would be surprised if it doesn't happen.

I don't agree. Not buying the excuses for missed layups. I don't have to watch the Baylor game to understand UCONN missed too many layups.

But as you say - I'll watch what their offense was - but you put two players in the post - I can't believe you've opened up anything for guards that aren't so hot at creating on their own. For example, Paige isn't a great isolation player. Our guards need picks. And if our bigs missed layups in a high post then why would we consider that they wouldn't miss layups in a 3-2 set? And if it was more of the guards missing layups then the same blown layups applies in a 3-2 set.

As a result, I'm skeptical about your point that we need a different set. Again UCONN went to the Final Four which is tremendous. In one of their two losses they scored 87 points. Losing one game because of your offense is not a reason to tear the system down.

Bottomline is that if your offense is run well enough to get layups then it should be good enough to win. The "we weren't prepared" imo is an excuse that any player/team/fan can say for any loss if you want to stretch it hard enough.

And while I'm skeptical of any different offense - with Azzi - who knows - I expect anything can work. Whatever 3-2 or whatever.

Reaction Score
I don't agree. Not buying the excuses for missed layups. I don't have to watch the Baylor game to understand UCONN missed too many layups.

But as you say - I'll watch what their offense was - but you put two players in the post - I can't believe you've opened up anything for guards that aren't so hot at creating on their own. For example, Paige isn't a great isolation player. Our guards need picks. And if our bigs missed layups in a high post then why would we consider that they wouldn't miss layups in a 3-2 set? And if it was more of the guards missing layups then the same blown layups applies in a 3-2 set.

As a result, I'm skeptical about your point that we need a different set. Again UCONN went to the Final Four which is tremendous. In one of their two losses they scored 87 points. Losing one game because of your offense is not a reason to tear the system down.

Bottomline is that if your offense is run well enough to get layups then it should be good enough to win. The "we weren't prepared" imo is an excuse that any player/team/fan can say for any loss if you want to stretch it hard enough.

And while I'm skeptical of any different offense - with Azzi - who knows - I expect anything can work. Whatever 3-2 or whatever.
Please watch and then comment. They don't put 2 players on the post, they put two players on the blocks extended. When the middle player on the 3 has the ball one of the bigs comes up and screens and then immediately rolls. He does not receive the ball with his back to the basket. The middle stays open but the ball doesn't go to the dead zone on the foul line or 3 point line to a big. If the ball goes to the wing, the big on the block extended goes to the block and looks for the ball. If he doesn't get it he crosses the lane to the other side leaving the entire side open for an angle drive or one on one pull up. Paige scored a lot of points this year on one on one pull ups, usually towards the baseline so I have no idea what you are talking about. CW is one of the best one on one drivers in the country and who is going to stop Azzi? Plus, Evina can score also. I would not have Liv making an offensive decision in the set, she is not a Stef Dolson.

Now, back to this dialogue about why we lost. They were much more intense, more focused and shut down our offense by defending and overplaying the first and second passes. I don't think our coaching was deficient in preparation, I think our players were not mentally ready and hence not prepared in that sense, not the Xs and Os sense. They were tight, not loose and that is a reason why you miss layups. We made no adjustments in the game, none. You don't tear the system down but when it is not working you adjust in game.

That's 4 Semis in a row where we have been less than fully engaged mentally and physically or to keep it superficial, where we have not played a great game as a team. It's not a coincidence, it's a trend. Do you really think it was just a confluence of bad luck in our layups? On one of them, Liv missed the rim from point blank range off the back board. It was everyone. That is the classic sign of a tight, nervous team. In that respect, the lack of experience and maturity was also a factor.

We will have more guard offensive firepower next year than ever before. The offense should be based on that and not on tradition or even what worked in the past. With Azzi, Paige, CW, and EW on the floor a lot together and CD and Saylor shooting at times also, the offense has to be accommodative. Keep the middle open except for picks, dribble drive the ball, dish for the 3, and also get the ball under when the big is in a position of advantage.

I respect your opinion as you know, but you are not explaining or analyzing why we played the way we did, you are merely describing it. If CW was right and they underestimated Az as a team, I am sure it didn't come from the coaching staff. I just don't understand how you do that in the FF. As Kara Wolters pointed out, if that was true, it is an act of immaturity. Either Culmo or Wolters also quickly added that it is also infuriating to the coaches.

Reaction Score
Geno ranted after the game about his very immature and pouty team , feeling sorry for themselves when things don't go their way. They certainly are a young team, with 3 frosh on the floor a lot of the second half. And maybe the veterans do get down on themselves at times. But seems like something all coaches have to deal with at times, and you'd think( well, I think) a hall of fame coach might find a way to shake them up during the course of a game. It took a player, Anna, to step forward and say something during the Baylor game.
Geno is at best a mediocre coach in close games. In losses like this he always points his finger at the team and never, never takes any of the blame. He is an excellent recruiter so he isn't in this position too often because he gets really good players to come. I believe this is his forth semi-final loss in a row

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Geno is at best a mediocre coach in close games
Blush Thank You GIF by Hooray Studios

Reaction Score
Geno is at best a mediocre coach in close games. In losses like this he always points his finger at the team and never, never takes any of the blame. He is an excellent recruiter so he isn't in this position too often because he gets really good players to come. I believe this is his forth semi-final loss in a row
All of this is true.

Reaction Score
Geno ranted after the game about his very immature and pouty team , feeling sorry for themselves when things don't go their way. They certainly are a young team, with 3 frosh on the floor a lot of the second half. And maybe the veterans do get down on themselves at times. But seems like something all coaches have to deal with at times, and you'd think( well, I think) a hall of fame coach might find a way to shake them up during the course of a game. It took a player, Anna, to step forward and say something during the Baylor game.
This is a silly take... Geno is the best coach in the sport because he doesn't treat them like little girls

Reaction Score
All of this is true.
All of this is true.

If I were to fault Geno’s coaching in the game it was in not realizing in first quarter than the team was not meshing. I would have rushed Anna into the game, not just to add a three point shooter, but to add her passing and court vision which would have taken pressure off Paige and improved ball movement. When he didn’t, I pretty much figured we would lose.
If this was your answer to the issue I'm glad you're not coaching. If you think Anna Makarat was the answer when she didn't even play in the Elite 8 game, has a 3 pt shot that has been anything but reliable in her short UConn career and is a liabilty defensively you're uninformed and Geno has nothing to worry about...

Reaction Score

What does that even mean? in blowout games he's great? Yes the coach that has won more NC than any coach has lost 4 FF in a row, two on last second shots. What a disgrace!
If you paid attention to that press conference he was asked about Christyn William's comment that the team might've taken Arizona lightly. Geno responded by saying that if that was the case then the coaching staff had failed and that his team was immature. Which is a spot on response by an adult, the assumption here is that you don't fall into that category.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Just a quick question, if you’re not just trolling. If you have a mediocre coach who also blames his team after close losses, how in the wide world of sports does this coach persuade some of very best talent in the country to be a part of his program? I take it that none of them did their homework on what they were getting into.
If your team for the past 13 years has been one of the four best teams out of the 354 D-1 programs with a mediocre coach, I’m just guessing the market for mediocre coaches is about to explode. BTW, in all the wins it took to achieve the above record, how many of these did the mediocre coach claim that the win was because he was the coach?

Reaction Score
Did you guys just start watching UConn this season? He’s always played his Jedi mind tricks after a loss in the post-season. These comments aren’t throwing anyone under the bus, he’s challenging the team to improve. And history has shown, anything he’s said in public he’s said in private a hundred times.
Agree. With more youth coming he is setting expectations for growth.

Reaction Score
Agree. With more youth coming he is setting expectations for growth.
It amazes me that there are UConn fans that still don't get Geno! after all of these years and all of this success. The reason that this program has been to 13 straight FF has more to do with him than anything else. The talent pool has spread out for the most part, UConn doesn't always get the best players or have the best recruiting class. The edge this team has is Geno, recruiting, teaching, motivating, everything that he excels at.

The success that his players have after they leave Storrs and the adoration they have for him tells you everything you need to know.

Reaction Score

What does that even mean? in blowout games he's great? Yes the coach that has won more NC than any coach has lost 4 FF in a row, two on last second shots. What a disgrace!
If you paid attention to that press conference he was asked about Christyn William's comment that the team might've taken Arizona lightly. Geno responded by saying that if that was the case then the coaching staff had failed and that his team was immature. Which is a spot on response by an adult, the assumption here is that you don't fall into that category.
quite apparent that from the beginning they had taken Arizona lightly. Christyn accepted responsibility; too bad the adult coach did not.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
No mention of Stanford's game with Arizona? After easily defeating them in season, by 27 and 14 points, Stanford's game came down to the final shot. Did Stanford take them lightly too? Did Tara not prepare her team? And most people felt Stanford had a stronger team than UConn, certainly more experienced.

This is why they play the games.

Reaction Score
I don't think Geno ever throws his team or individual players 'under the bus'.

On the contrary, when I think of Geno and his players, I am reminded of the 1982 men's final between Georgetown and North Carolina. Michael Jordan had given UNC the lead and Fred Brown had the ball and accidentally threw a pass to James Worthy and the game was lost for Georgetown. Fred Brown was very upset. Georgetown coach John Thompson found Fred and hugged him. I remember that hug clearly after 39 years. I think that Geno feels the same way about his players.

Reaction Score
No mention of Stanford's game with Arizona? After easily defeating them in season, by 27 and 14 points, Stanford's game came down to the final shot. Did Stanford take them lightly too? Did Tara not prepare her team? And most people felt Stanford had a stronger team than UConn, certainly more experienced.

This is why they play the games.
well, after beating them easily twice maybe they also took them too lightly. after what happened to UConn you would think that Tara would have tried to avoid that. anyway, the pressure was on UConn and Stanford, and Arizona had nothing to lose.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom