Dick Vitale's 5 greatest coaches... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dick Vitale's 5 greatest coaches...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Some of those men's basketball coaches have called Geno among the very best. Tom Izzo being one.
Jeff Van Gundy said Geno deserved a standing ovation for a practice he watched before the Baylor game a few yrs ago. He said he's seen every great basketball coach practice. Never seen anything better than Geno's- in every way.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Jeff Van Gundy said Geno deserved a standing ovation for a practice he watched before the Baylor game a few yrs ago. He said he's seen every great basketball coach practice. Never seen anything better than Geno's- in every way.
Speaking of Van Gundy, he did color commentary on one of UConn's games and I thought he did a really good job. Very knowledgeable about UConn and college women's basketball.

Reaction Score
I do not agree, but here is Dick Vitale's 5 greatest coaches. Twittered a few days ago. Don't know his criteria, but if number of championships won (9), the record in championship games (9-0), the caliber (and character) of players and superstars produced (DT, SB, MM, et al.), impact the program had on the game- then I unquestionable place Geno #1 on that list. (I think Vitale's closeness to the men's game influenced his selection of coach K).

Vitale's List:
1. Coach K
2. Greg Popovich
3. Bill Beli-Cheat
4. Geno Auriemma
5. Nick Saban

HR's List:
1. Geno Auriemma
2-5 ... everyone elseG

Seriously? Can I smoke some of what you have? :eek:

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Speaking of Van Gundy, he did color commentary on one of UConn's games and I thought he did a really good job. Very knowledgeable about UConn and college women's basketball.
Nan- it was the away Baylor game we lost late that he did. Jeff was really getting into womens b ball because of his daughters were really into it- both were playing.
And he was great to listen too.

Reaction Score
Your definition of "condemn" is not mine. What you call "overrate" I call cheating. In John Wooden's time imo other teams paid too.

Do you have any idea of the irony at play here ?

By all rational accounts, both "spygate" and "deflategate" are both about rules that every team was in violation of in some way. The only rule broken in spygate was the LOCATION of the camera. Filming from field level is ok, from above is not. As you say, "other teams did it". Same with the lax enforcement of the football inflation specs. Every team does what they can to get the balls the way they like them.

The only real difference here is who likes Bill Belichick and who doesn't.

And considering you just gave John Wooden a pass for a booster paying his players, I'd say you'd fit right in.

You also realize that because the Patriots organization was so pissed at the nonsensical "spygate" fallout that they came out and put up the only 16-0 regular season in NFL history ?

Good lord. People with an ax to grind are annoying.

Reaction Score
Seriously? Can I smoke some of what you have? :eek:
I don't really care for Vitale in the first place, but the idea that he is a valuable resource on the entire world of coaching is asinine. WTF does Vitale know about coaching anything but basketball ? I'm not even sure he knows much about coaching basketball, truth be told. Sure, he knows about all the players grandmothers, but that's of minimal value.

Reaction Score
I don't really care for Vitale in the first place, but the idea that he is a valuable resource on the entire world of coaching is asinine. WTF does Vitale know about coaching anything but basketball ? I'm not even sure he knows much about coaching basketball, truth be told. Sure, he knows about all the players grandmothers, but that's of minimal value.
He was an NCAA coach and coached the Detroit Pistons so, whether you like him or not, he probably knows something about coaching basketball

Reaction Score
I find it interesting that Walz gets rated so highly. He's had a few big NCAA wins (including an historic one), but his regular seasons have been somewhat unremarkable. I think he's had just one top-10 team (last year), which promptly got crushed at home by Maryland in last year's elite 8.

Reaction Score
By all rational accounts, both "spygate" and "deflategate" are both about rules that every team was in violation of in some way. The only rule broken in spygate was the LOCATION of the camera. Filming from field level is ok, from above is not. As you say, "other teams did it". Same with the lax enforcement of the football inflation specs. Every team does what they can to get the balls the way they like them.

The only real difference here is who likes Bill Belichick and who doesn't.

And considering you just gave John Wooden a pass for a booster paying his players, I'd say you'd fit right in.

You also realize that because the Patriots organization was so pissed at the nonsensical "spygate" fallout that they came out and put up the only 16-0 regular season in NFL history ?

Good lord. People with an ax to grind are annoying.

My God what kind of Bill-Belchick love-fest is this? The OWNER of Pats strongly considered firing Bill. He just didn't understand that it was all a big misunderstanding and it was only the location, eh? BB gets fined by the NFL and they lose draft picks. Theyjust didn't understand either. It was all okay, right? It was just the "location" nothing else was wrong. Everyone else is wrong.

And of course we want to go back to Wooden - sure why not go back to the 1940's too and throw mud on their graves for some of the players and coaches based on the the things that were accepted by society back then but no way today.

My God people looking to re-write the word cheater to fit their own fandom is so annoying.

I'm done with this.

Reaction Score
My God what kind of Bill-Belchick love-fest is this? The OWNER of Pats strongly considered firing Bill. He just didn't understand that it was all a big misunderstanding and it was only the location, eh? BB gets fined by the NFL and they lose draft picks. Theyjust didn't understand either. It was all okay, right? It was just the "location" nothing else was wrong. Everyone else is wrong.

And of course we want to go back to Wooden - sure why not go back to the 1940's too and throw mud on their graves for some of the players and coaches based on the the things that were accepted by society back then but no way today.

My God people looking to re-write the word cheater to fit their own fandom is so annoying.

I'm done with this.
I can taste your jealousy of the Pats from here, and it tastes delicious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom