Diarra starting | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Diarra starting

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
3. Give Castle a chance to see the flow of the game, run the team at the pace the coach wants getting ur teammates involved

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
Team is playing a real game overseas a couple of months from the end of last season. They've practiced only a month, and freshman are trying to learn a new and superior system,while being tired and beat up like never before.

Hard for Hurley to start a freshman so soon if a vet was available. I'm sure he smiled having Diarrhea to start the game. This was the perfect time no not start your best player. The vets teaching freshman how Champions get it done at the opening tip is great!

Now they know.
Sometimes a grimace looks like a smile

Reaction Score
Castle averaged 16 and lead the team in scoring? Is that true? If yes, I don't see him coming off the bench for long. Newton, Castle and Diarra does give us a pretty good 3 guard option.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Once again ....

John Wooden quote: It's not so important who starts the game but who...

Reaction Score
From Dave Borges:

Four of UConn's starting five for all three games were about as expected: Karaban, Newton, Clingan and sharpshooting Rutgers transfer Cam Spencer. Diarra, a senior, was a bit of a surprise as starting point guard, especially with McDonald's All-American and potential one-and-done lottery pick Stephon Castle now on board. In truth, it made a lot of sense. Diarra is a respected, steady veteran. To simply hand over the starting point guard reins to Castle, even with his credentials, might not be the best way to go about things. Dan Hurley seemingly wants Castle to earn the starting job.

Castle certainly earned it in Europe, leading the team in scoring (16.6 ppg) despite coming off the bench. Not known as a great shooter, he shot 18-for-29 from the floor and 3-for-7 from 3. Worry not, folks. Barring any injuries, UConn's starting five in its season opener in November will be Karaban, Newton, Clingan, Stewart (sic) and Castle. Book it.

Note: 100% certain he means Spencer and not Stewart.

Reaction Score
Yesterday, you were debating that this wasn't a debate, which you won & lost at the same time.

Today you want to completely eliminate discussion of the topic...for anybody who is unknowledgeable & curious, for anybody who takes it seriously and wants to speculate regarding motives & team/player development strategy & tactics, for anybody who wants to have fun with a hot take or an absurdity, or for anybody who has ANY thoughts to offer, because that is what OP requested.

We're roughly at the halfway point between an amazing National Championship season and its successor. Every season has its own progression, its own arc, its own ebb & flow, and its own build to completion. And we are all part of it: coaches, players, and fans.

Some of Dan Hurley's moves help him get feedback about and for all parties. As to the fans, this and other topics offer ideas about the extent to which we will battle & belittle each other, coalesce & cheer together, or partner among ourselves in support of the coaches & players.

Some of us want to be first with bold predictions. Some of us want to be right. Some of us want to remind others when they were or are wrong.

Some of us want to control the narrative. Some of us want to control the content. Some of us want the final word.

We've just had 3 games to give clues as to what we fans have been working on in the off-season and how we're doing.

This season will have not only new players, but also new opponents; new Boneyarders, including a wider range of fans and more who will try to troll & disrupt us; and new opportunities to share our joys, strengthen our community, and contribute to the program's success.

I like those comments that suggest Hassan Diarra should build upon his strengths to make the most of his part in the whole. I'm sure the same applies to Stephen Castle, to you, and to me. And yeah, everybody.
Every season has a starting 5. The starting 5 for this upcoming season is Newton, Castle, Spencer, Karaban, Clingan.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Every season has a starting 5. The starting 5 for this upcoming season is Newton, Castle, Spencer, Karaban, Clingan.
Barring anything unusual, of course. Hurley is just sending a message that nothing will be handed to you at UConn. It's fine. It's probably why Steph's parents wanted him here. If anybody on the bench simply outplays a starter, then Hurley will do what needs to be done.

Reaction Score
Diarra has some limited skills, defense, ball tipping, he was put in many times when the team was playing badly and gave a spark but no way he supplants starters. 10 minutes a game?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Every pre-season features nearly everything I wrote.

Are we debating? If so, are you winning or losing?

What prompts the need to call for a thread about people's thoughts in response to OP to be nuked?

The discussion somehow continues...with your participation. Interesting.

It's as though you do not possess the power to control things.

Are you angling for the ability to quote yourself at some future date, claiming that you knew what the starting lining up would be? Do you imagine that nobody else thinks this? Are you helping people or competing with them?

I know it's fact that Diarra started the 3 games in Europe. I can imagine a number of possibilities as to why, but don't care enough to seek confirmation as to any of them. With each game, I'll know who is starting at the game's beginning. That's good enough for me.

Every GAME has a starting lineup. During no season has it ever been the same lineup every single game. I therefore dispute your claim that every SEASON has a starting lineup. My assertion is more accurate than yours. I also think it's meaningless that I'm technically more correct than you are.

The only reason why such predictions today might possibly matter would be if someone intended to place a bet on the matter. I don't bet.

Nonetheless, do you intend to bet that the starting lineup you've named will start every game throughout the season? If so, I'm nearly certain you would lose, and advise you against this.

"What a waist of nonsense."

Please feel free to repeat yourself, if you wish. People will obey you, or laud you, or argue with you, or ignore you, or play around with you like I am.

It's pre-season. Knock yourself out. Have fun. Show people how much you know. My personal opinion is that you have much better times and opportunities to do this...and have much to contribute when doing so.

Here, you already know you have no more to add.

There's still time to work on this before the first secret scrimmage. And it's a long season. Pace yourself.

Reaction Score
Every pre-season features nearly everything I wrote.

Are we debating? If so, are you winning or losing?

What prompts the need to call for a thread about people's thoughts in response to OP to be nuked?

The discussion somehow continues...with your participation. Interesting.

It's as though you do not possess the power to control things.

Are you angling for the ability to quote yourself at some future date, claiming that you knew what the starting lining up would be? Do you imagine that nobody else thinks this? Are you helping people or competing with them?

I know it's fact that Diarra started the 3 games in Europe. I can imagine a number of possibilities as to why, but don't care enough to seek confirmation as to any of them. With each game, I'll know who is starting at the game's beginning. That's good enough for me.

Every GAME has a starting lineup. During no season has it ever been the same lineup every single game. I therefore dispute your claim that every SEASON has a starting lineup. My assertion is more accurate than yours. I also think it's meaningless that I'm technically more correct than you are.

The only reason why such predictions today might possibly matter would be if someone intended to place a bet on the matter. I don't bet.

Nonetheless, do you intend to bet that the starting lineup you've named will start every game throughout the season? If so, I'm nearly certain you would lose, and advise you against this.

"What a waist of nonsense."

Please feel free to repeat yourself, if you wish. People will obey you, or laud you, or argue with you, or ignore you, or play around with you like I am.

It's pre-season. Knock yourself out. Have fun. Show people how much you know. My personal opinion is that you have much better times and opportunities to do this...and have much to contribute when doing so.

Here, you already know you have no more to add.

There's still time to work on this before the first secret scrimmage. And it's a long season. Pace yourself.
This is great, keep going...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'll be coaching you all season. Bet on it.
Hey, Coach! Does it ever get frustrating when the player never gets it? Especially when you know in the back of your mind, they're never gonna get it.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I'm going to go ahead and say there's a pretty hefty overlap between "best playerd" and "best team" in our case.
never been a coach, huh?

Reaction Score
Nuke this thread. Newton, Castle, Spencer, Karaban, Clingan will be starting.
It is interesting that group will get rebounds across the lineup, while lacking a classic power forward.

Reaction Score
From Dave Borges:

Four of UConn's starting five for all three games were about as expected: Karaban, Newton, Clingan and sharpshooting Rutgers transfer Cam Spencer. Diarra, a senior, was a bit of a surprise as starting point guard, especially with McDonald's All-American and potential one-and-done lottery pick Stephon Castle now on board. In truth, it made a lot of sense. Diarra is a respected, steady veteran. To simply hand over the starting point guard reins to Castle, even with his credentials, might not be the best way to go about things. Dan Hurley seemingly wants Castle to earn the starting job.

Castle certainly earned it in Europe, leading the team in scoring (16.6 ppg) despite coming off the bench. Not known as a great shooter, he shot 18-for-29 from the floor and 3-for-7 from 3. Worry not, folks. Barring any injuries, UConn's starting five in its season opener in November will be Karaban, Newton, Clingan, Stewart (sic) and Castle. Book it.

Note: 100% certain he means Spencer and not Stewart.

I was impressed with Castle’s rebounding too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom