Diarra starting | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Diarra starting

Reaction Score
That's so condescending. The man has a ring. It's more like I said before, RHIP. The new guys haven't earned anything yet.
I think Diarra's ceiling is limited. Not a bad idea to easy Steph in and by November having him go on all cylinders. DH knows how to maximize his talent.....and boy he has a lot of talent this year. By the way, while I am cognizant of the opposition we have played, I cannot help but to think that this team this year may be collectively better than last year's team. Scary thought.

Reaction Score
Two things mean the same. It’s called exhibition game. Diarra is not starting over Castle.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see if Castle keeps it Hurley competitive basic, forget the recruit ranking, the Call My Agent-shirt and simple focus on the team winning.
Is this not happening now?

Reaction Score
It has more to do with Castle than Diarra. We know what we have with Diarra. We know Castle is more talented.

Hurley is showing that freshmen have to prove it and earn/claim a starting spot over someone who's been here, in terms of effort/intensity as well as understanding the offensive and defensive system.-

KeyWestUC

Southernmost UCONN
Reaction Score
Castle looked very good in the exhibitions. He is going to be a great player for us from the start. By the time the season starts he will be far ahead of Hass and should be a starter.

Reaction Score
Diarra is an older player, great attitude, plays hard, plays good D and knows our system. That’s why he started. Castle will be a starter when the season starts unless he crashes a car or a scooter (which he won’t). Our starting lineup seems to be pretty clear this coming season

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
What’s important for the team is did Diarra get better during the off season? It appears that he did along with others. He just needs to be better than he was last year and provide senior leadership. If he starts, that means we’re deeper than we thought.

Reaction Score
Hurley rarely starts freshman at the beginning of the season. It's not too surprising and I wouldn't read into it. If Castle proves to be the better player come regular season I'm sure a change will be made.

Reaction Score
I was going to respond with something similar to this but I will add that I think DH should have a private meeting with Hassan and tell him that his greatest contribution to this year’s team could end up being an absolute relentless dog to Stephon in practice. In somewhat of a lead by example bell cow prodding type fashion. If he elevates Castles game and gets him to play every play like the game is on the line then this team has no ceiling.
I would bet a million dollars that this conversation has already happened. And been reinforced at least once.

People forget we have the best coaching staff in the country. They are on these things light years before us message board rubes…

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I could understand why Diarra is starting for these exhibition games but come season time it should be Castle’s show. He looked like the best perimeter player throughout the games.

Sometimes you just have to let a special talent be that. Agree that Diarra’s #1 job should be hounding Steph and making him better.

Reaction Score
Diarra's worry isn't Castle taking his starting role, that is nearly a given. His biggest worry is Ball taking most of his bench minutes. Solo has as high a defensive motor, is bigger (wingspan) and shows more on offense, though they both lack a consistent outside shot. With a bit more experience, he'll get more minutes because he is the future.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Diarra's worry isn't Castle taking his starting role, that is nearly a given. His biggest worry is Ball taking most of his bench minutes. Solo has as high a defensive motor, is bigger (wingspan) and shows more on offense, though they both lack a consistent outside shot. With a bit more experience, he'll get more minutes because he is the future.

Not if Hass can be a vocal leader. Thats what this is about. He's getting his shot. Rightfully. Coach is smart enough to not not put his best on the floor, but he also favors experience. Diarra has a part to play this year. Coach is putting that decision in a veterans hands. If Solo and Diarra are a net wash, but Diarra has the vocal respect of the team he will get quite a run. If he doesnt hold up either one of those then he won't. Now is the time to find out; we have a few months until November. I like that Coach is giving him run.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Nuke this thread. Newton, Castle, Spencer, Karaban, Clingan will be starting.
Yesterday, you were debating that this wasn't a debate, which you won & lost at the same time.

Today you want to completely eliminate discussion of the topic...for anybody who is unknowledgeable & curious, for anybody who takes it seriously and wants to speculate regarding motives & team/player development strategy & tactics, for anybody who wants to have fun with a hot take or an absurdity, or for anybody who has ANY thoughts to offer, because that is what OP requested.

We're roughly at the halfway point between an amazing National Championship season and its successor. Every season has its own progression, its own arc, its own ebb & flow, and its own build to completion. And we are all part of it: coaches, players, and fans.

Some of Dan Hurley's moves help him get feedback about and for all parties. As to the fans, this and other topics offer ideas about the extent to which we will battle & belittle each other, coalesce & cheer together, or partner among ourselves in support of the coaches & players.

Some of us want to be first with bold predictions. Some of us want to be right. Some of us want to remind others when they were or are wrong.

Some of us want to control the narrative. Some of us want to control the content. Some of us want the final word.

We've just had 3 games to give clues as to what we fans have been working on in the off-season and how we're doing.

This season will have not only new players, but also new opponents; new Boneyarders, including a wider range of fans and more who will try to troll & disrupt us; and new opportunities to share our joys, strengthen our community, and contribute to the program's success.

I like those comments that suggest Hassan Diarra should build upon his strengths to make the most of his part in the whole. I'm sure the same applies to Stephen Castle, to you, and to me. And yeah, everybody.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Am sure he is just teaching Castle
Two things mean the same. It’s called exhibition game. Diarra is not starting over Castle.

I would think that’d be obvious, but let’s let them fret about it a while more.

Reaction Score
Diarra is an older player, great attitude, plays hard, plays good D and knows our system. That’s why he started. Castle will be a starter when the season starts unless he crashes a car or a scooter (which he won’t). Our starting lineup seems to be pretty clear this coming season
It is interesting that we have 3 guys that can fill up the boxscore and maybe more with some of the other freshmen. Newton, Castle and Karaban. Then we have a three level scorer in Spencer and I have not even mentioned our lottery pick Clingan. Donovan keeps raving about Johnson in practice - so that’s another Big. The one weakness is maybe having a muscle enforcer guy, which Sanogo had in his big took box last season. Sometimes that comes in handy. I know that may sound old school but I still believe it.

Reaction Score
I think Hurley going to want a 5 minute line-up that can extend and pressure on defense. Wouldn’t shock me at some point to see Diarra and Ball out there together. Of course, I was waiting for the double big last season - so no guarantee.

Reaction Score
It's called throwing a Senior a bone on an exhibition swing.
Not that anybody cares, but this actually happened to me in High School, but by the 4th non-league game I was put into the starting lineup over the senior (game before I took over the 4th quarter & helped win a invitational tournament championship- the senior was small & scrappy similar to Diarra) & by mid season I was named captain.

Gotta remember especially as a point guard & someone who is going to run the offense- freshmen typically don’t know all the sets & plays off the sets right away. Coaches are more comfortable having the senior who’s worked hard for years start the first few games, run the offense, & I would imagine gives them less anxiety at the start of the game.

With all this said, I would be surprised Castle isn’t starting the first real game- the talent gap is just astronomical & he will probably have a couple of wow moments from now until then that forces Hurley to make sure he is starting from the tip.

Reaction Score
Castle averaged 17 points on 60% shooting in the exhibitions. My money says not much more than a "thank you" to Diarra for him not playing much at the end of last year, and a bluff of "nothing is guaranteed here" for Castle

Stephon Castle will start every single game this year

Reaction Score
So Diarra starting is either an Olander situation, or it's a summer time "he knows all the plays and the freshman haven't nailed down the playbook yet" situation.
Team is playing a real game overseas a couple of months from the end of last season. They've practiced only a month, and freshman are trying to learn a new and superior system,while being tired and beat up like never before.

Hard for Hurley to start a freshman so soon if a vet was available. I'm sure he smiled having Diarrhea to start the game. This was the perfect time no not start your best player. The vets teaching freshman how Champions get it done at the opening tip is great!

Now they know.

Reaction Score
Team is playing a real game overseas a couple of months from the end of last season. They've practiced only a month, and freshman are trying to learn a new and superior system,while being tired and beat up like never before.

Hard for Hurley to start a freshman so soon if a vet was available. I'm sure he smiled having Diarrhea to start the game. This was the perfect time no not start your best player. The vets teaching freshman how Champions get it done at the opening tip is great!

Now they know.

Please do not edit.

Reaction Score

Now they know.
The calamari strikes again!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom