Diana's Olympic factoid | The Boneyard

Diana's Olympic factoid

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
:eek:

Taurasi already shares the record for the most Olympic golds in a team sport, along with former teammate Sue Bird, with five golds apiece from Athens 2004 through to Tokyo 2020. However, by competing in her sixth Olympic Games this summer, Taurasi could extend this record-breaking run if Team USA wins gold in Paris, where she will become the athlete with the most Olympic gold medals in any team sport.

Reaction Score
:eek:

Taurasi already shares the record for the most Olympic golds in a team sport, along with former teammate Sue Bird, with five golds apiece from Athens 2004 through to Tokyo 2020. However, by competing in her sixth Olympic Games this summer, Taurasi could extend this record-breaking run if Team USA wins gold in Paris, where she will become the athlete with the most Olympic gold medals in any team sport.

I don't believe the article is entirely correct. Swimming is considered a team sport and Michael Phelps has 7 gold medals from relay events. That stat may be limited to women's basketball only. Btw Phelps has 23 gold medals overall.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't believe the article is entirely correct. Swimming is considered a team sport and Michael Phelps has 7 gold medals from relay events. That stat may be limited to women's basketball only. Btw Phelps has 23 gold medals overall.
Most of Phelps golds are for individual and not team competition. I think that is the difference.

Reaction Score
Swimming and athletics (track and field) may be team sports in the sense that you can keep a team
score, but really, apart from the relays, the athletes compete as individuals. Same for gymnastics,
diving, wrestling, etc.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I believe the common definition for 'team sport' is one in which more than one person is actively competing for a team at the same time - while relay races require multiple 'teammates', each team member 'competes' alone with the only overlap being the passing of a baton. In swimming there isn't even that 'overlap'. Gymnastics is an individual sport with team prizes.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
At 42 years of age and having competed in 5 Olympics, it is time for Diane to step aside.

It is just plain greedy to stick around for 24 years taking up a spot on a 12 member team, in a competition that only occurs every 4 years.

I like Diane, loved her in her years at UCONN.

But, time to go......

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
At 42 years of age and having competed in 5 Olympics, it is time for Diane to step aside.

It is just plain greedy to stick around for 24 years taking up a spot on a 12 member team, in a competition that only occurs every 4 years.

But, time to go......
Absolutely not. She's the GOAT, the WNBA logo is fashioned after her, and she's been giving to Team USA since she was a teenager. She has answered the call every single time they have asked and has been an incredible Team USA teammate and representative.

Greedy? Not even close. Not only was she chosen for the team, but she's still got "game". And in the all star game, was one of the only guards on Team USA who played well. Plum had a decent game and to a slightly lesser extent, Ionescu, but the rest of the guards were average to awful. You know who scored double figures? Stewie (31), Wilson (22), Diana (14) and Griner (10). Oh and Dee added 5 assists and 6 boards.

Diana turned 42 in July. Lebron turns 40 in December - basically 2.5 years apart. Where is the call for Lebron to hang it up? Is he being greedy? Should he be turning over the team to others who "deserve" his spot? Talk about a double standard.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
Absolutely not. She's the GOAT, the WNBA logo is fashioned after her, and she's been giving to Team USA since she was a teenager. She has answered the call every single time they have asked and has been an incredible Team USA teammate and representative.

Greedy? Not even close. Not only was she chosen for the team, but she's still got "game". And in the all star game, was one of the only guards on Team USA who played well. Plum had a decent game and to a slightly lesser extent, Ionescu, but the rest of the guards were average to awful. You know who scored double figures? Stewie (31), Wilson (22), Diana (14) and Griner (10). Oh and Dee added 5 assists and 6 boards.

Diana turned 42 in July. Lebron turns 40 in December - basically 2.5 years apart. Where is the call for Lebron to hang it up? Is he being greedy? Should he be turning over the team to others who "deserve" his spot? Talk about a double standard.
YAWN

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

But, time to go......
Ok Shan.

giphy.gif

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
Ok Shan.

Nice! "Shan"

I guess my point is:
I would much rather see a team of relatively young players bring their skill, enthusiasm, exuberance and aspirations.

Rather than a team of older, hardened, egotistical grubbers.

The Olympics used to be about sportsmanship with an amateurish bent.

And, that's my two cents.

Reaction Score
Nice! "Shan"

I guess my point is:
I would much rather see a team of relatively young players bring their skill, enthusiasm, exuberance and aspirations.

You are entitled to your 2 cents, but boy are you on the wrong board.

I don't really care what you want to see. The Olympics is about winning gold, it's not about giving "relatively young players" a good experience.

Reaction Score
Nice! "Shan"

I guess my point is:

You correctly identified the key words, “used to be”. At least for us. Almost all of the rivals never had professionals, right?

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
I don't really care what you want to see. The Olympics is about winning gold.......
You correctly identified the key words, “used to be”. At least for us. Almost all of the rivals never had professionals....

AAAGH! what's the point.

The Olympics are different; only true sportsmen/sportswomen truly understand the spirit behind the competition.

Others, think that bag the gold at all costs is what it's about.

Reaction Score
Nice! "Shan"

I guess my point is:

Hardened, egotistical? Why so bitter? She has every right to “try out” for the team…if the committee didnt think she brought value to the team they wouldn't have selected her.

Reaction Score
AAAGH! what's the point.

The Olympics are different; only true sportsmen/sportswomen truly understand the spirit behind the competition.

That’s why the Russians, East Germans, and many others, sent their professionals, most of whom were on performance enhancing drugs, to compete for the true spirit.

Reaction Score
The comparison doesn’t work too well from my neighborhood. We got Dee and you don’t. I haven’t gotten over the disrespect of and/or ignorance re Pistol Pete during the galactic celebration of Caitlin’s scoring achievement. If Dee coaches she may be winning gold forever !

Reaction Score
AAAGH! what's the point.

And you (or these mystical “true” yada yada people you cite) would know more about Olympics spirit than former Olympians Dawn Staley, Seimone Augustus and Delisha Milton-Jones — current Selection Committee members — because …?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackruy1

Top Bottom