Diana T. Next Uconn HC? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Diana T. Next Uconn HC?

Reaction Score
These conversations are always so UConn-centric. I would hope that the search
committee (or AD) would not be so constrained and would pursue the candidate most likely
to continue the program at a high level of excellence, wherever he or she may be.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When Geno retires, and he will, I beleive CD will also retire. If not, she would be the logical choice and I think she would take.

If not, Shea would probably be the choice.

As far as D, Sue and now Jen, the answer is no. Sue has made it clear she does not want to coach. D is the GOAT but not the coach. Jen, her record as a head coach is unimpressive to say the least.

The only other possibility would be Carla. She has been coaching for a while. If she can prove she can recruit on a D1 level, she would be a powerful candidate.
Carla with Jamelle her first assistant and a top, young coach that came out of another program (hopefully a grinder relative to recruiting). Best of all worlds.

Reaction Score
I cannot conceive DT showing any interest in coaching a school outside P5.
Same goes for Sue Bird.

Not even their Alma Mater?

It started out that way, just don't believe it ends that way. Power always seeks to increase its concentration.
[/QUOTE]
Football pays for everything for the Power 5 football teams schools in other sports! So how are these other sports considered Power 5 if they can't pay for themselves and never will be able to except for a few MCBB teams. No Womens team will.

Reaction Score
JE will be that UCONN gets to another Final 4...…..She's creating toughness in the post that has been missing the last 3 years......

Reaction Score
Assuming Listner does not come back..... I could easily see DT getting an assistant position next season... then 6-7 seasons an assistant.... before Geno steps down... maybe longer... But yeah I can see her coming in and Sue too...

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
"Zero experience" is a little harsh for a long time assistant. Would you say the same thing about CD? And remember that Geno had no college head coaching experience when he came to UConn.
In this modern age of science have you noticed there are not a lot miracles? Berube Baby, Berube! She is proven and the only seriously successful branch of Geno's coaching tree. Long time assistants - Peter Principle ... perhaps.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Assuming Listner does not come back..... I could easily see DT getting an assistant position next season... then 6-7 seasons an assistant.... before Geno steps down... maybe longer... But yeah I can see her coming in and Sue too...
What else do you see in that bottle? ;):rolleyes:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I do not understand why this fantasy has such a hold on people.

What indication has either Diana or Sue given that they're even the slightest bit interested in becoming coaches, at all, anywhere?

This time it was what? A moving tribute by D at a memorial service? What in the %&#^ does that have to do with the skill set that coaching requires?

Reaction Score
In this modern age of science have you noticed there are not a lot miracles? Berube Baby, Berube! She is proven and the only seriously successful branch of Geno's coaching tree. Long time assistants - Peter Principle ... perhaps.

To be clear, I’m not advocating for Shea or anyone else. I am objecting to characterizing Shea as having zero experience.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Shea, Jamelle, Jennifer, Carla . . . that's a start.
Shea - untested as a head coach but knows UCONN system and existing players and recruits in pipeline, back pocket
Jamelle - 113–162 (.411) pass, next candidate
Jennifer - 365–260 (.584) decent but not truly outstanding, keep as yard stick
Carla - 378-94 (.800) keeper!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
What players say when they are still playing at the highest level can change dramatically when they retire - they miss the 'juice' of competition and they look for ways back into that world. Kobe was an example of that and might well have moved up the chain as his daughter did - it was suggested he was looking at HS jobs at the school Gigi might have attended. So, what DT or Sue say now does not necessarily indicate where their heads will be at in a few years. (Uconn has a good women's soccer team as well ...) The fact that DT and Penny are raising their son might also make a more rural environment attractive.

That said, I would think Uconn would want someone with a HC resume - it is a very different program than it was when Geno arrived and they were just looking to make it respectable. I am leery of Shea as the 'heir apparent' with no HC experience - she is a good assistant but I would have liked to see her put her toe in the water somewhere as a HC. Berube seems like a better choice at this point, Marisa might be attractive in a few years depending on her run at BU. And I would not be against them hiring a man - the dynamic of Geno/CD I think has appealed to a lot of recruits as they move away from their home environment.

Reaction Score
Setting: A spacious living room. The day is bright and warm, sun fills the room. Sue Bird and her partner Megan Rapinoe are are lounging in sweats, reading the paper and drinking coffee.

Sue looks up and says "I meant to mention to you Meg, I got a call from Uconn yesterday and...

Meg: Who do you know in Canada?

Sue: Canada? No, not Canada, Uconn as in University of Connecticut, where I played basketball. Anyways, Geno retired...

Meg: Geno?

Sue: You know - short Italian guy who was my coach.

Meg: Oh yeah, you talk about him a lot.

Sue, exasperated: Not that much. So they offered me a coaching job and I wanted to ask you...

Meg: Connecticut. That little state that's in New England right? Where is the campus?

Sue: Storrs.

Meg: Storrs? What's in Storrs aside from a campus?

Sue Well, nothing really, but Storrs is part of the town of Mansfield.

Meg: And what is in Mansfield?

Sue: Trees. A lot of trees. Very nice trees. And some farms.

Meg: I like trees, but is there a nearby city of some sort?

Sue: Hartford. The capital city. It's kind of poor and run down, but it has nice suburbs!

Meg: What's the weather like?

Sue: Great! Except winter, which is cold, snowy, sleety and cold rainy, and summer which is really hot and humid. Spring is kind of wet - we call it mud season. Fall is nice. The trees turn colors and...

Meg: Again with the trees.

Sue: Back to the point here, I've been offered this job and....

Meg, jumping up: Oh, look, time to take the cat for a walk.

Meg exeunt stage left.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Setting: A spacious living room. The day is bright and warm, sun fills the room. Sue Bird and her partner Megan Rapinoe are are lounging in sweats, reading the paper and drinking coffee.

Sue looks up and says "I meant to mention to you Meg, I got a call from Uconn yesterday and...

Sue: Canada? No, not Canada, Uconn as in University of Connecticut, where I played basketball. Anyways, Geno retired...

Sue, exasperated: Not that much. So they offered me a coaching job and I wanted to ask you...

Meg: Connecticut. That little state that's in New England right? Where is the campus?

Sue: Hartford. The capital city. It's kind of poor and run down, but it has nice suburbs!

Sue: Great! Except winter, which is cold, snowy, sleety and cold rainy, and summer which is really hot and humid. Spring is kind of wet - we call it mud season. Fall is nice. The trees turn colors and...

Meg exeunt stage left.

I never liked Rapinoe.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
[/QUOTE]
Football pays for everything for the Power 5 football teams schools in other sports! So how are these other sports considered Power 5 if they can't pay for themselves and never will be able to except for a few MCBB teams. No Womens team will.
[/QUOTE]

To be clear, in the first part of my post I was quoting and responding to @trb123; it was his post about DT and Sue not mine. Something went wrong with my quote of trb123 and it wasn't highlighted like it normally is. So in your post to me his quote was attributed to me. My bad.

In the second part of my post I quoted (properly this time) your response to trb123, about the P5. If I'm reading you right you regard the P5 designation as applying only to the football programs of those schools and nothing else.

I do agree with you that football is the money maker for the P5. And that men's basketball can also be a moneymaker for any Div 1 school, P5 or not. And that outside of a dozen or so schools such as Uconn & Tenn WCBB is a money loser as are most of the other sports.

If your perspective is solely as a fan of WCBB then I guess that you are correct, P5 is a meaningless term outside of football. This is after all a Uconn WCBB forum and I would have to agree that you have every right to look at it that way.

But if you’re looking at what P5 schools generate in revenue, and what that revenue allows their Athletic Departments to accomplish, in terms of marketing, infrastructure, facilities and support up and down the gamut of collegiate sports then I would argue (respectfully, without heat) your perspective is too narrow.

Right now the Uconn Athletic Department is hemorrhaging cash. Sooner or later the State will cut back on their support and students will protest the extra fees. And our "front porch" will need maintenance and repair and the cash won't be there, because we are not P5 and therefore don't generate P5 revenue. Our lack of P5 status will then impact every sport that Uconn has.

Just my perspective, no disrespect to you.

Reaction Score
I know this is all just fun but a recently posted video of Taurasi had her say something like the cold winters in Russia and Connecticut just start to wear on you. I can't imagine that getting better as she gets older and with a family.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Carla Berube is the likely candidate based on her winning at Tufts and now at Princeton.
Rizzotti hasn't dominated in her league(s) so she's not likely to get this job.
Shea should have left to take a head coaching job
CD is not likely to want the aggravation and she'd need to find another Geno to complement her skills.
I was starting to give up hope on this thread until I read you. There's so much insanity going on with the other posts, but yours is spot on.
Comparing Geno with no head coaching experience taking over a bad UConn program to Shea or any other assistant taking over the greatest program of all time with no head coaching experience is nuts. Completely different situations.
Of "our" people, Carla is the favorite if she shows she can get it done at Princeton.
Jen, Jamelle & Morgan Valley - Did not get it done at other schools. Non-starter.
Shea - No head coaching experience. Needs to leave to a HC job and succeed if she wants to be considered a candidate.
Sue, Diana, etc - No coaching whatsoever. Being coaches on the court and running a program are 2 different things.
Outside of the family, Curt Miller of the Connecticut Sun could be a possibility. Has college experience, pro experience and (if my memory serves me) was recommended by Geno for that job.
We'll have to wait and see what the landscape looks like when Geno does decide to hang up his whistle.

Reaction Score

Meg exeunt stage left.

I take exception to your description of Connecticut's weather. Besides, Sue and Megan are in Seattle currently. At least we have more than the occasional sunny day. ;)

Reaction Score

Meg exeunt stage left.
There is a real nice 3 screen drive in movies lol.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Meg exeunt stage left.
Lol @ exasperated "Not that much"

Reaction Score
I take exception to your description of Connecticut's weather. Besides, Sue and Megan are in Seattle currently. At least we have more than the occasional sunny day. ;)
Not to quibble, but CT weather includes all those things. And somehow a lot of just great to be alive days. During my time in CT I jogged, mountain biked and had the beagle out in the woods whenever possible and got to experience the full range of CT weather. The good, the bad and, well you know. Be assured, Seattle's weather is not for me. I'd take CT over Seattle in a heartbeat.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Yeah, the sun never shines in Seattle. Nobody should move here. Tell all your friends. :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom