Diana T. Next Uconn HC? | The Boneyard

Diana T. Next Uconn HC?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
She needs a LOT of experience. I LOVE Dee. She's the greatest player of all time hands down. She's blunt, honest, charming, caring, compassionate, well spoken AND out spoken, but...

She has no coaching experience. I have no idea if she has the temperament to be a head coach. She's married and I assume she and her wife and son have a home in Phoenix.

While she'd be a tremendous asset as a recruiter, I'm just not sure she'd make a great head coach. Not saying she wouldn't, but with no frame of reference, it's too huge a risk without a beefed up coaching resume...

For the record, I've always thought Dee and Sue would make a terrific tandem - similar to Geno and Chris.

Reaction Score
She needs a LOT of experience. I LOVE Dee. She's the greatest player of all time hands down. She's blunt, honest, charming, caring, compassionate, well spoken AND out spoken, but...
She has no coaching experience. I have no idea if she has the temperament to be a head coach. She's married and I assume she and her wife and son have a home in Phoenix.

While she'd be a tremendous asset as a recruiter, I'm just not sure she'd make a great head coach. Not saying she wouldn't, but with no frame of reference, it's too huge a risk without a beefed up coaching resume...

For the record, I've always thought Dee and Sue would make a terrific tandem - similar to Geno and Chris.
Don't know what the Phoenix home situation is, but I know they do have a house in Manhattan Beach...

Reaction Score
I'm trying to imagine DT jumping on airplanes to fly to goodness knows where to sit in a HS gym, or sitting and schmoozing with the parents of prospects. Or that Ms. Bird hankers to be an assistant coach. If she wants to go the coaching route, and I haven't heard does, she wouldn't want to be Dee's second fiddle for long.

Reaction Score
As said above, the greatest women or men players usually don't make great coaches because usually everything about their sport fell into place for them at an early age and it almost came natural where most of their players they're coaching have to bust their butts to have any kind of success!
Ted Williams was the manager of the Washington Senators then Texas Rangers after they moved and was frustrated that he couldn't get the intricate points of Baseball across to his players!
That's why a lot of the best Manager's in Baseball are Catchers, because they faced the whole field and saw how situations occurred!
Great athlete's have to leave their egos outside as it's no longer about them but about their athletes!

Reaction Score

She's definitely not the best player of all time, hands down. I have stated many times that I don't consider her the best Huskie player of all time, preferring Maya. To say hands down would suggest that she is so far superior to any woman basketball player that there's no room for discussion and I think that's definitely not the case. Maya is easily a better consideration, IMHO.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
My Goofy scenario. Get Hopkins Coach Cosgriff to come in as an assistant during the Paige (Nnaji ???)years and then potentially take over. ;)

Reaction Score
Best sales rep typically not the best sales manager. Unclear if Diana would ever want to lead this grind.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I think Kevin Ollie would be perfect. Knows how to follow in a legend’s footsteps. Knows the university. No brainer.

I’m not against one of our ex players becoming a coach, but not one who’s never coached unless they are a clearly the best choice. I also favor, as I did when Calhoun left, a national search before anointing anyone. The program is owed that much. It’s very hard to replace a legend but you don’t know unless you try who might turn up as an applicant.

Reaction Score
I suggested Diana a few years ago and got blown out of here. However, whatever you may say about her coaching skills, she has a fie in her belly as well as basketball smarts. Having the opportunity to watch her play she is either coaching on the floor or on the sidelines. Say what you want, I think that she, as a coach, if that is what she wants, would inspire her players and be able to recruit with exceptional sales skills. I agree with what one pollster said about a countervailing force to join her on the bench. However, she will go into broadcasting because it is less stressful, makes good money, seasonal, and give her an opportunity to spend more time at home with her family.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom