Diamond Deshields transferring from UNC

Status
Not open for further replies.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Realty check, Diamond De Shields stats:

42% FG 27% 3s 92 assists 122 turnovers
Russell could be one of the most overrated recruits I have ever seen.

Russell was ranked #1 based on potential. Can't teach 6-6 with a great frame. Considering how posts Harrison/Glory Johnson developed over their careers at UT, I'm optimistic that Russell will be a much better player next season for Tennessee.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Russell had better numbers than Harrison had her freshman year. Dean Lockwood said on a radio interview recently. The thing that hurt her was the physicality of the game. He also said you should see significant improvement next year.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Alaina Coates >>>>> Russell
Unfortunately I agree with this statement. Coates was underrated coming out of high school. She had a great freshman season but I think she has the ability to be a truly dominating center. Great frame and hands. I think next year she elevates her game from being a great player off the bench to an All-American candidate.

Reaction Score
Mercedes is far more skilled than Coates. she just needs to get stronger. she is a SUPERB passer and not a one dimensional player. coates is a classic center.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Interesting
When the news first broke, the free Lady Vols website was very pessimistic of their prospects of landing her.
Like a deep-seated inferiority complex.
I'll certainly check back in the morning.
i wonder if she is designated a player/coach, would that allow her to play next season?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Mercedes is far more skilled than Coates. she just needs to get stronger. she is a SUPERB passer and not a one dimensional player. coates is a classic center.

The Mercedes I saw this season was slow, awkward and generally ineffective. I'm sure she will be better but if Coates is far less skilled…?

sTu

Reaction Score
"her jumpshot is the best in the nation"

I needed a good laugh, thanks. Is that like, "hands down the best frontcourt in the nation"?

Maybe you mean any jump shot that is not past the three point line?

Reaction Score
The Mercedes I saw this season was slow, awkward and generally ineffective. I'm sure she will be better but if Coates is far less skilled…?

the mercedes i saw got better and better and on one sequence blocked 4 shots against maryland in the sweet 16. she will was playing behind izzy and graves, who two of the best post players in the country. it will come.

Reaction Score
"her jumpshot is the best in the nation"

I needed a good laugh, thanks. Is that like, "hands down the best frontcourt in the nation"?

Maybe you mean any jump shot that is not past the three point line?
whatever you guys. DD's jump shot is the truth. she can get it off from any spot on the floor. kinda like Maya in that regard.

Reaction Score
the mercedes i saw got better and better and on one sequence blocked 4 shots against maryland in the sweet 16. she will was playing behind izzy and graves, who two of the best post players in the country. it will come.

With all these great players you claim Tennessee has why don't they win more? You would think Tennessee could beat the Miami Heat going by the way you guys talk these players up.

Reaction Score
whatever you guys. DD's jump shot is the truth. she can get it off from any spot on the floor. kinda like Maya in that regard.

28% 3 point shooter and you call her jump shot "the truth"?

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score

Uhh...Simmons got hers off from any spot on the floor also. Only difference is that Maya's were much more likely to go through the hoop. I think that DD will fill Ms. Simmons sneakers nicely. If Holly doesn't ruin her game by over-coaching.:)

Reaction Score
With all these great players you claim Tennessee has why don't they win more? You would think Tennessee could beat the Miami Heat going by the way you guys talk these players up.

Some WBC coaches' winning percentages:
  • Auriemme 86.9%
  • Summitt 84.1%
  • Van Derveer 81.9%
  • Warlick 80% (56-14)
  • Mulkey 79%
  • Hatchell 78.8%
  • Conradt 74.4%
  • McGraw 73.5%
  • C Viv 73.1%
  • Foster 72.2%
  • Frese 71.5%
  • Blair 71%
  • Coale 68.4%
  • Yow 68.2%
Not all that bad for only two years as a head coach. Auriemma's (48.1%) and Summitt's (62.7%) first two years were not as good.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Some WBC coaches' winning percentage:

• [ ]Auriemme 86.9%
    [ ]Summitt 81.9%
    [ ]Van Derveer 81.9%
    [ ]Warlick 80% (56-14)
    [ ]Mulkey 79%
    [ ]Hatchell 78.8%
    [ ]Conradt 74.4%
    [ ]McGraw 73.5%
    [ ]C Viv 73.1%
    [ ]Foster 72.2%
    [ ]Frese 71.5%
    [ ]Blair 71%
    [ ]Coale 68.4%
    [ ]Yow 68.2%

I consider winning National Championships winning, not winning games in a mediocre conference and playing a mediocre ooc schedule.

Reaction Score
Can you just imagine the screams that would have gone up from Checkerboard Square if DD HAD transferred to UConn? "Underhanded dishonest Gino poaches player from coach suffering from leukemia. The SOB has no ethics and no shame! He ought to be banned from the game!" etc, ad infinitum and ad nauseum.
Saw a comment posted to an AP article that said DD is leaving to care for an ill family member. Have no idea if this might be true.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Not all that bad for only two years as a head coach. Auriemma's (48.1%) and Summitt's (62.7%) first two years were not as good.

Don't know about Summitt, but Geno was taking over a nonexistent program and had to build it from the ground up. Warlick was handed the keys to a Maserati.

Reaction Score
I consider winning National Championships winning, not winning games in a mediocre conference and playing a mediocre ooc schedule.

UCONN plays in a lousy conference and it took Auriemma 10 years to win his first Nation Championship. Summitt took 11 years to win her first National Championship. You are being unreasonable. Warlick has done a very good job. Try to remember Nan's post about a gentler Boneyard!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
i find it ironic that DD's jumpshot and talent were the best on the planet when you were recrutiing her. anywa

• [ ]Auriemme 86.9%
    [ ]Summitt 81.9%
    [ ]Van Derveer 81.9%
    [ ]Warlick 80% (56-14)
    [ ]Mulkey 79%
    [ ]Hatchell 78.8%
    [ ]Conradt 74.4%
    [ ]McGraw 73.5%
    [ ]C Viv 73.1%
    [ ]Foster 72.2%
    [ ]Frese 71.5%
    [ ]Blair 71%
    [ ]Coale 68.4%
    [ ]Yow 68.2%
careful now, good facts about TN are not allowed LOL

Reaction Score
Don't know about Summitt, but Geno was taking over a nonexistent program and had to build it from the ground up. Warlick was handed the keys to a Maserati.

Yes, she is standing on Summitt's shoulders, however, she is winning a lot. That was the initial complaint concerning Warlick's Tennesse woman's teams. Only three coaches have a better winning record. Pretty good! Summitt took over a very good team from Margaret Hudson (1971-74 60-18 76.9%). Yes, Auriemma took over a "nonexistent" program so comparing Warklick's first two years with Auriemma is unfair. It is also unfair to compare Warlick, a new hear coach, with 2 years experience with the legend, Auriemma, with 29 years of head coach experience.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
i do think it's sad that you all are talking about DD in such a negative way on the thread. downplaying her shooting ability, skills, etc. at one time, she was THE recruit you wanted at UCONN. anyway, i'm out. night

Reaction Score

ok so winning SEC titles is not "winning" so when your team won the Big east and AAC those players for UCONN did not win anything important? yes, titles are the ultimate goal but it's not fair to pick and choose what is important. i would bet GENO appreciates every title he has one in conference and national titles.

Reaction Score
I wonder if UCONN will ever pick up a transfer player... last great one we picked up was Brittney Hunter and as Geno said... even if she never played a day at UCONN he wanted her to be part of the program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom