Diamond Deshields transferring from UNC | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Diamond Deshields transferring from UNC

Status
Not open for further replies.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I think Marciniak was the last transfer too Tennessee.

Reaction Score
I saw somewhere it might be [another] package deal , with Cooper and possibly Durr. Have you seen this?
Seems to be close friends with Cooper so wouldnt surprise me.

Reaction Score
DD is a potential POY and definitely a 1st team AA. any team that gets her will be a title contender. i would say DD and Stewie will be the 2 best players for the next several years.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Listened to Debbie Antonelli who didn't think SCarolina is an option because she doesn't see DD doing well with Staley's discipline. Tennessee is a perfect fit. Holly will let her do her thing. It'll be interesting to watch what this does to the team that is Tennessee.

I thought there were times when DD's teammates seemed determined not to pass her the ball. I wonder about the chemistry issues.

Reaction Score
Sounds good to me, Nan. .

i disagree with this. i am only talking about DD. i have read several comments on this thread that she is "selfish" she is not selfish. she is a superb passer and got her teammates the ball a lot. when they were hot, she made sure they got the ball. that being said, she is an elite scorer who can do things that no other player can do. her jumpshot is the best in the nation. with that talent, she NEEDS to be shooter in chief.

Last edited by a moderator:

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
i disagree with this. i am only talking about DD. i have read several comments on this thread that she is "selfish" she is not selfish. she is a superb passer and got her teammates the ball a lot. when they were hot, she made sure they got the ball. that being said, she is an elite scorer who can do things that no other player can do. her jumpshot is the best in the nation. with that talent, she NEEDS to be shooter in chief.

I would think that a shooter would function better in a disciplined offensive strategy of which at this time, Tennessee is not. I wonder if she will have the same frustrations...I wonder if she will grow as a player...

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Really? I'll take KML.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Tell yourself that it is not what I saw in UNC games.

Reaction Score
I think what folks have been trying to convey to you is that professional status is
determined by whether or not you are getting paid - not by who you play with.

Nobody gets paid to play USA basketball.
I understand the concept of play for pay conveying the status of professional. There are, however, several nuances to that concept and I'm just trying to educate myself on those differences. For example, you bring up the qualification that nobody gets paid to play for USA basketball which I guess means the Olympics as well as other national teams. But does that mean the team that won in London was composed of amateurs? Surely not, right? What distinguishes amateurism? Having never been paid? What about someone who was paid to play a different sport? If I was paid to run the 5000 meters am I banned from collegiate basketball? What even constitutes a sport? Is bowling a sport?

Reaction Score
This whole thing makes me feel uneasy. How long has she been planning this? If Sylvia steps down at UNC does Diamond has to sit out a year? This could actual be a huge backfire if she goes to Tennessee. Of course that would be a lot of top talent at Tennessee. Russell and DeSheilds....

Last edited by a moderator:

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Yes. But you said "last transfer." Were they not the last transfers?
Yes I should have said from a major program. Marciniak transferred from Notre Dame.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
What determines amateurism is whether you have ever taken a paycheck to play a particular sport. In the Olympics today who can play in the Olympics is over seen by the international governing bodies of different sports like FIBA or FITA. Some allow limited participation by professionals, some allow none. Some are almost completely comprised of professionals. Some still follow a strict amateurs only guideline.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Listened to Debbie Antonelli who didn't think SCarolina is an option because she doesn't see DD doing well with Staley's discipline. Tennessee is a perfect fit. Holly will let her do her thing. It'll be interesting to watch what this does to the team that is Tennessee.

I thought there were times when DD's teammates seemed determined not to pass her the ball. I wonder about the chemistry issues.
Dawn has eased up just a hair from her earlier years. What works with inner city Philly kids doesn't always work as well with southern suburban or small town kids. To Dawn's credit, she's adjusted to the type of players she's recruited. She has more of a mix at USC.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I can't wait for the Tennessee-South Carolina games.
Wow, me too, especially if DD ends up in Knoxville. My seats for women's games are only about 5 or 6 feet from the visiting head coach, which is a lot of fun.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
It's Tennessee, people. Multiple sources.

Great news as a UT fan. If Tennessee also lands Cooper they could have this rotation in 2015-16:
C-Russell, Jr
F-Graves, Sr
F-DeShields, So
G-Nared/Tucker, So
G-Carter/Cooper, Jr/Fr

Huge potential in that lineup. Excluding Parker, DeShields will be the best player to play in Knoxville in the 2000s, and Tennessee will have a lineup littered with top 5 recruits. Obviously, it all depends on how the players develop, mesh, and pan out, but if Russell lives up to her billing as a #1 recruit, Graves reverts to her freshman form, and Nared/Tucker can be solid contributors on the wing, Tennessee should have its best team since 2008. Again, lots of ifs but with this news there is lots to be optimistic about for UT fans.

Reaction Score
This whole thing makes me feel uneasy. How long has she been planning this? If Sylvia steps down at UNC does Diamond has to sit out a year? Diamond didn't seem like a team player to me.... This could actual be a huge backfire if she goes to Tennessee. Of course that would be a lot of top talent at Tennessee. Russell and DeSheilds....

Russell could be one of the most overrated recruits I have ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom