Diaco talk at Syracuse | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Diaco talk at Syracuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bizlaw's point is dead on. Folks are taking it as absolutes. It's not.

Diaco is adequately compensated given his experience and accomplishments to date. He's not going anywhere after this season. If he continues a solid trend he will probably be around here for a while and UCONN will compensate him to market. If he is wildly successful one of the monsters will waive money beyond anything UCONN could consider and then Diaco will set himself and his family up for life. That scenario is far from a bad one for UCONN at this stage in our development.

One thing that I find very hypocritical is that fans, in general, call for a coach's head after almost every loss and then many of those same fans complain about the lack of loyalty from said coach. These guys play in a high stakes game and they would be crazy not to grab dollars when they can. Most of them are a season away from the unemployment line.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
The sooner we get over this the better. There is no coach in America (there is no employee in America) who won't leave their current job for the right opportunity and the right money. None. The sooner that people realize this the sooner we avoid these silly discussions about loyalty and commitments. No employee owes his employer any more than his best effort while he is there and adequate notice.

Do I see any chance Diaco leaves us for Syracue? No. But be clear that if the right job with the right money comes along, he's gone. Just like you, me and everyone else.

I think this is mostly true; however, the legacy variable is also important to consider. For some people, it is more important to become a legend at one school rather than another link in a long leadership chain at another. The former group includes people like Calhoun, Geno, and Marrone. All had opportunities to leave for bigger programs. All stayed at UConn and built programs at UConn. Now they are legends. We already play soccer at Marrone Stadium. I am confident one day we will play basketball on Auriema court at the Calhoun Fieldhouse. If HFCBD stays and succeeds in making UConn a contender, one day we'll be tailgating in Storrs before a game against Penn State at Diaco Field.

So mote it be.

Reaction Score
The sooner we get over this the better. There is no coach in America (there is no employee in America) who won't leave their current job for the right opportunity and the right money. None. The sooner that people realize this the sooner we avoid these silly discussions about loyalty and commitments. No employee owes his employer any more than his best effort while he is there and adequate notice.

Do I see any chance Diaco leaves us for Syracue? No. But be clear that if the right job with the right money comes along, he's gone. Just like you, me and everyone else.
BL hit it on the head here...and that's going to be the interesting thing to watch with the coaches in the AAC. They will be able to leave for the RIGHT P-5 job at their price. Like Fuente did. If you took a top coach in the AAC who is well paid and well supported by his school/AD and you broke the P-5 jobs down (give or take)....1/3 of them are a definite step up, 1/3 are worth leaving for, and 1/3 you are better off staying waiting for another job to open.

Reaction Score
I think this is mostly true; however, the legacy variable is also important to consider. For some people, it is more important to become a legend at one school rather than another link in a long leadership chain at another. The former group includes people like Calhoun, Geno, and Marrone. All had opportunities to leave for bigger programs. All stayed at UConn and built programs at UConn. Now they are legends. We already play soccer at Marrone Stadium. I am confident one day we will play basketball on Auriema court at the Calhoun Fieldhouse. If HFCBD stays and succeeds in making UConn a contender, one day we'll be tailgating in Storrs before a game against Penn State at Diaco Field.

So mote it be.

Yea but comparing a women's basketball coach or a soccer coach to college football is apples and oranges. Even Men's basketball is very different. Much more accomplished programs in better conferences than ours are used as stepping stones.

Reaction Score
Could be his "dream job"....which is defined as any job with a substantial pay increase.

Reaction Score
The chances of Diaco leaving for Syracuse are about as likely as him leaving for Rutgers: not likely. Like Rutgers, Syracuse doesn't have the money to significantly trump what UConn pays him. Shafer made $1.3M/yr at Syracuse. Like Flood, that is less than what UConn pays Diaco. If Syracuse were to, say, offer $2M/yr raise, we would match that 100% of the time. Like Rutgers, Syracuse doesn't have the funding to double Diaco's contract.

Also like Rutgers, there is more talent on the UConn roster in 2016 than Syracuse. Like Rutgers, Syracuse's win O/U will be around 3 or 4. Ours will be in the 6-10 range. Just like I said in the other thread, when you combine the fact that Diaco wouldn't make much more than if he stayed here and that we could have a special year next season (and his options will be MUCH better than Rutgers or Syracuse), then it's highly unlikely he would leave for Syracuse/Rutgers.

This is all just a bunch of twitter and blogosphere chatter from two arrogant fanbases that think very little of UConn and presume he would leave UConn for the same pay at their crummy job.
Apples v. Oranges. I think he might consider leaving if RU came calling. New Jersey kid, state school in NJ, and in B1G. All trump anything a private ACC school in central NY state snowbelt can offer.

Reaction Score
Apples v. Oranges. I think he might consider leaving if RU came calling. New Jersey kid, state school in NJ, and in B1G. All trump anything a private ACC school in central NY state snowbelt can offer.

Rutgers is a much more appealing job for Diacco than Syracuse would be. Yes, it would take time and no, he will never compete for national championships there (just like he won't there), but you can win at Rutgers and be there for a while.

Reaction Score
Look, Cuse went from our partner in terms of joining ACC to outspoken critic,, for reasons I never understood. We should encourage them to understand that their return to glory will come with the hiring of PP. My guess is he would gladly take their financial offer and it is certainly a dream job for him. It's so obvious on so many levels. We could even throw in the perfect OC

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Look, Cuse went from our partner in terms of joining ACC to outspoken critic,, for reasons I never understood.

I have not seen nor heard of any evidence that Cuse was working with us. Only speculation that we might have been tabbed to join at the same time as Cuse instead of Pitt. The disgraced asshat who used to be the Cuse AD was a proponent of UL over us when the time came.

Reaction Score
Bizlaw's point is dead on. Folks are taking it as absolutes. It's not.

Diaco is adequately compensated given his experience and accomplishments to date. He's not going anywhere after this season. If he continues a solid trend he will probably be around here for a while and UCONN will compensate him to market. If he is wildly successful one of the monsters will waive money beyond anything UCONN could consider and then Diaco will set himself and his family up for life. That scenario is far from a bad one for UCONN at this stage in our development.

One thing that I find very hypocritical is that fans, in general, call for a coach's head after almost every loss and then many of those same fans complain about the lack of loyalty from said coach. These guys play in a high stakes game and they would be crazy not to grab dollars when they can. Most of them are a season away from the unemployment line.
like it our not, there is a clear trend building in that the successful G5 coaches are targeted for P5 vacancies. If Diaco has a successful 3rd season he could very well be in Fuentes and Ruhle's position a year from now. That's reality in the G5 world. I give Houston a ton of credit for upping the ante to keep their guy. That's not going to prevent Herman from leaving for the likes of a Top 25-30 program, but it sends a message to a bulk of the P5 schools that the cost of poaching just went way up... Uconn could very well be in that position in the next year or two.
Assuming Diaco wins 9/10 games each of the next two years and challenges for the AAC championship, does he get a $3M contract?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Maybe, or he might avoid that sheet-show. The question, in my view, isn't whether BD couldn't ever be convinced to leave, anyone could given the right circumstances (for example Geno would take another WCBB or a WNBA job, but would take the right NBA assistant coach job, and might go the right MCBB head coaching job), the question is whether HCBD would leave for any job he's likely to be offered, like Syracuse. There I think the answer is no. His best play is to continue at Connecticut, and keep building the program. He'll be more vulnerable after year 3, assuming he does as well as we think that he might, and especially years 4-5-6. After that his Connecticut roots will run pretty deep.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Diaco also wouldn't take the Idaho or Northwest Catholic jobs.

I imagine Iowa or Notre Dame is a different story.

Reaction Score
Can we put a knife in this thread already?

Cuse/RU is not stupid enough to hire Diaco on his resume.

Diaco is not stupid enough to commit career suicide by going to either school.

I could accept that one side may be dumb enough but it would take a serious amount of stupid for BOTH sides to be completely numb.

If Diaco wins 8 games or more next year and a bigger program comes calling, he's gone. But until that time comes, good grief can it.

Reaction Score
Did not see any thread on the Cuse board about BD but Bly went back a few pages. Did read they the Cuse is the most economically fiscal among the power five schools.

Read: Cheap

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Rutgers is a much more appealing job for Diacco than Syracuse would be. Yes, it would take time and no, he will never compete for national championships there (just like he won't there), but you can win at Rutgers and be there for a while.

I think this is actually 1000% wrong.

Going to Rutgers likely locks him out of going to Iowa at some point, at least easily.

Reaction Score
Dr Gross who came from Cal. and brought G Rob. with him. How'd that work out for the Cuse??????????????????:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
So, the coach who has to burn 3 timeouts a half because plays can't get in on time deserves a raise? From Syracuse or Rutgers?;)

On a more serious note, Diaco has an affinity for Iowa. That would be his dream job. As for him leaving now, I am not sure the timing is right. If we win the AAC in the next 2 years, his stock will be much higher. Then he can say he did what he came here to do.

PS anyone who think Edsall could not recruit is nuts. The guys in the NFL right now are his recruits. And there are a bunch of them.

Reaction Score
I think this is actually 1000% wrong.

Going to Rutgers likely locks him out of going to Iowa at some point, at least easily.

Since the subject of Diaco and Rutgers came up, I have to think if given the choice, Diaco would choose
Rutgers because it's his natural home state and for recruiting purposes he would own NJ. As it is now,
he and staff, Vertucci's a Jersey boy and his Dad coached Diaco in NJ. The Garden state is prime Husky
recruiting territory. Secondly I know Bob Diaco played at Iowa and is in the Hayden Fry coaching tree
but I don't know that Iowa is necessarily his dream job. If he has one, my guess is that it would be Notre Dame.

Reaction Score

KO not coaching the Lakers?

Reaction Score
So, the coach who has to burn 3 timeouts a half because plays can't get in on time deserves a raise? From Syracuse or Rutgers?;)

On a more serious note, Diaco has an affinity for Iowa. That would be his dream job. As for him leaving now, I am not sure the timing is right. If we win the AAC in the next 2 years, his stock will be much higher. Then he can say he did what he came here to do.

PS anyone who think Edsall could not recruit is nuts. The guys in the NFL right now are his recruits. And there are a bunch of them.
How many of them are on offense compared to defense? UConn has always struggled putting a balanced pass/run offense on the field.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
How many of them are on offense compared to defense? UConn has always struggled putting a balanced pass/run offense on the field.

Head Coach is responsible.

He is also responsible for INT and fumbles too, just so you know, so I have been told.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom