Diaco channelling Belicheck | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Diaco channelling Belicheck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
from Sunday's Courant, for better or worse...
"You're not equipped on your team to show [the triple option] to them," said UConn coach Bob Diaco. "You do the best that you can. It's a major altering thing. It's just the style of blocking is an issue. The whole thing is an issue."

I thought that was the whole purpose of a scout team - scratches head as there is no hair to pull out
How in the world were other teams prepared? I suppose then on th Army FB team they werent equipped to show them a forward pass?

Reaction Score
from Sunday's Courant, for better or worse...
"You're not equipped on your team to show [the triple option] to them," said UConn coach Bob Diaco. "You do the best that you can. It's a major altering thing. It's just the style of blocking is an issue. The whole thing is an issue."

Look it's frigging crystal clear now. The guy needs an intervention. All he did, was approach leading this program up against Army thinking like defensive coordinator instead of a head coach. Who gives a rat's ass how complex and fast the triple option is on the field. It's not that hard to build the defense - it's MUCH harder to actually execute it. We get it.

How about focusing on the offensive side of the ball Head Coach Bobby D. That's where you beat Army - by going at their weakness, not focusing all your energy on defending their strength.

The chances of a head coach, admitting such a catastrophic failure in game planning, is Nil. Not happening, the guy publicly would be stupid to do it.

But he did have a catastrophic failure in game planning for Army, and it comes from everything he's done to approach this season, as a full team - offense and defense and it was on full display in his preparation, and then game time execution against this program. The catastrophic failure is that he didn't think like a head coach, and approached like a defensive coordinator. Ignore the frigging triple option - make sure you have players to hit the ball carrier and pitch men - that's it. Focus on your offense.

I had reached this conclusion before, on my own, and his quotes on the game only reinforce it for me.

HUGE learning experience for the guy.

My constant theme for this season - the education of a coach. UCONN is investing in it. I want payback, in form of wins and championships. Learn from this game and move on, the next time we play a team where the mismatch is the center and Nose Guard - run ----king ball down their throats over and over.

Reaction Score
The defense looked like they had ignored the triple option.

Two safeties deep the entire game against a team with 3 pass attempts.

You can spend all your time working on the offensive gameplan, but it's a waste of time if your defense can't get off the field. They averaged over 5 yards per carry, and had the ball 10 more minutes than we did. I don't want to hear this game was lost on offense. It was lost because the defensive game plan looked like it was designed to prevent the big play in the passing game, while Army did what Army does. Chew up the clock, shorten the game, keep their offense on the field averaging 5 yards a carry.

There's no defending Diaco on this game. There were no discernible adjustments made at halftime, and the staff looked completely outclassed.

Reaction Score
The defense looked like they had ignored the triple option.

Two safeties deep the entire game against a team with 3 pass attempts.

You can spend all your time working on the offensive gameplan, but it's a waste of time if your defense can't get off the field. They averaged over 5 yards per carry, and had the ball 10 more minutes than we did. I don't want to hear this game was lost on offense. It was lost because the defensive game plan looked like it was designed to prevent the big play in the passing game, while Army did what Army does. Chew up the clock, shorten the game, keep their offense on the field averaging 5 yards a carry.

There's no defending Diaco on this game. There were no discernible adjustments made at halftime, and the staff looked completely outclassed.

I'll respectfully disagree. Our strengths on defense are our DT's, our ILB's and our Safeties. Our weakness is the DB's, OLB's, and DE's. The structure of the defense, againt the option run offense, emphasized and isolated our strengths, and protected and supported our weakness, rather than vice versa - isolating our weaknesses and covering up our strengths.

Reaction Score
I'll respectfully disagree. Our strengths on defense are our DT's, our ILB's and our Safeties. Our weakness is the DB's, OLB's, and DE's. The structure of the defense, againt the option run offense, emphasized and isolated our strengths, and protected and supported our weakness, rather than vice versa - isolating our weaknesses and covering up our strengths.

... and failed miserably.

Again, it doesn't matter how good your offense is when it's on the sideline.

Reaction Score

Failing? Not sure I agree with that, the offense on the sideline, we agree on.

I think somebody needs to introduce the KISS principle to DIaco when it comes to game planning. you don't beat army by focusing all your energy on trying to defend the option. I honestly think he came up with the best defense we could put out there, given our personnel against that option running offense system, and truthfully, if we had an offense that could sustain drives and score, like you say, it's not unreasonable that the very, very most points that the Army offense scores in that game is 21 points. All we need to do, with the defense that Diaco put together, was score more than 21 points. I'm not going to explain why I think that, people complain I write too much as it is, but I've got solid reasoning as to why that is. The game pretty much turned out exactly that way.

I have yet to have any adequate explanation as to what we're doing on offense this season. It was on full display Saturday.

I cannot come up with any reasoning that makes sense for either now or the future. Believe me, that's frustrating for me, because the way my brain works, I can pretty much find a reason for almost anything, teh reasons/reasoning right or wrong? Accurate or inaccurate - TBD - but I'll find a reason, for just about anything. I simply have nothing to say, regarding what we're doing on offense this year, which leads me to the only conclusion I can come up with - and that's they have no idea WTF they are doing on offense, and I do not want that reason to be accurate.

Diaco? The guy is too smart for his own good, sometimes and this Army game is a great example and learning experience IMNSHO, he needs to forget about being a defensive coach, and start being a head coach.

No time like this game, and what happened, to cement that lesson once and for all.

Reaction Score
Carl Spackler said:

Our absolute strength on d is our d line including ends. Our ilbs are wildly inconsistent, and our OLBs are not good right now. Safeties make plays in run, struggle v pass. Corner backs are up and down, but it's tough to judge with our lack of pressure. This team desperately needs a Trevardo Williams rushing off the edge.

Reaction Score
this dude better be able to recroot majorly because hes proven he cant coach

doze recroots will have to post w's next yr despite schematics systemics

ever in history recroots do just opposite of game lack thereof plans and post wins?
Your posts make me think of Jeff Foxworthy's "Redneck word of the day".

Reaction Score

If that's the case, then I would say the defense got beat. They got beaten by an opponent that was better than those across the line. New defensive scheme, in game #9 against a Triple Option which this team has yet to face this season. They got beat. That's it. They didn't suck. They didn't shoot themselves in the foot. Turnovers happen. Things have been better in that regard lately. Can people ever understand we just got beat? At 2-7 this team is not good. Bad teams beat good teams sometimes. They beat UCF at home in adverse weather conditions against a team used to sunny and warm. In a neutral setting against a team with the same record an "older" team they beat our young Huskies. That's it. They were there in the end with the chance to tie. And as someone hoped for, go for 2 and the win. I wouldn't hate the decision! But to think the game plan "failed miserably" instead of the team just getting beat, I don't agree. Good and bad teams get beat by better and or worse teams. This is not a good team and they got beat. That's it.

Reaction Score
If that's the case, then I would say the defense got beat. They got beaten by an opponent that was better than those across the line. New defensive scheme, in game #9 against a Triple Option which this team has yet to face this season. They got beat. That's it. They didn't suck. They didn't shoot themselves in the foot. Turnovers happen. Things have been better in that regard lately. Can people ever understand we just got beat? At 2-7 this team is not good. Bad teams beat good teams sometimes. They beat UCF at home in adverse weather conditions against a team used to sunny and warm. In a neutral setting against a team with the same record an "older" team they beat our young Huskies. That's it. They were there in the end with the chance to tie. And as someone hoped for, go for 2 and the win. I wouldn't hate the decision! But to think the game plan "failed miserably" instead of the team just getting beat, I don't agree. Good and bad teams get beat by better and or worse teams. This is not a good team and they got beat. That's it.

Yes, I'm sure the coaches are watching the tape and thinking we just "got beat". It's that simple really. We just "got beat" by the same team that lost to Kent St and Yale.

No, we aren't a good team. But who on earth thinks Army is?

Having said that, I'm 99% sure you missed the entire context of my post anyway. Hint: it was directed at the defensive schemes.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Frankly, I think they were just a bad matchup for us -- they don't make many mistakes and they challenge you to outscore them -- not exactly a wheelhouse opponent for us.

Reaction Score
player coach concept

fan base seems unhappy with learning curve of new coach

as an enrichment program to help reduce said curve,

if said gent has any remaining eligibility,

maybe he would like to enroll in masters program in school of physical education and concurrently get a first hand look at what is going on the gridiron by suiting up and filling his old role of linebacker on d side and maybe see o for first time maybe as a pretend qb to get the full ImpacT of proposed training program to allow UCONN to have a fully certified head coach sooner rather than too later

mlb is well known for implementing successfully the playercoach concept

has foosball ever done it on college or nfl level?

if not, now is the time

Reaction Score
Diaco makes nuanced points, which is a mistake when you'e communicating with large masses of people. Your typical bell curve individual can't handle/adequately process these points, which leads to threads like this. I hope making these threads and essays and contributing to the internet hivemind feels constructive and feels as though it is worth your time and mental energy. Because, you know, duck a hobby.

It's highly entertaining to me at least. Losing sucks, but at least I get to come here for the weekly meltdown. Don't ever change.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Diaco makes nuanced points, which is a mistake when you'e communicating with large masses of people.

Yeah. "Nuanced." Like when he says we used to be colossally bad, but now we are just bad. So many subtle points he's making there. I have a hard time dealing with it... :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Yeah. "Nuanced." Like when he says we used to be colossally bad, but now we are just bad. So many subtle points he's making there. I have a hard time dealing with it... :rolleyes:
Yup this is pretty much exactly what I'm talking about hahahhaha keep it up man

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Yup this is pretty much exactly what I'm talking about hahahhaha keep it up man

I will, bro. And you feel free to chime in with whatever it was that you thought was "nuanced" about his statements. I'm quite sure you won't be back to show us one of the "nuances" and why we've missed it. But thanks for playing...

Reaction Score
Diaco makes nuanced points, which is a mistake when you'e communicating with large masses of people. Your typical bell curve individual can't handle/adequately process these points, which leads to threads like this. I hope making these threads and essays and contributing to the internet hivemind feels constructive and feels as though it is worth your time and mental energy. Because, you know, duck a hobby.

It's highly entertaining to me at least. Losing sucks, but at least I get to come here for the weekly meltdown. Don't ever change.
Professor Gruber, is that you? We are too dumb to understand his nuance. Got it

Perfect Hair

I saw Diaco drinking a Pina Colada at Trader Vics
Reaction Score
Nuances like our starting QB is not Key, and in fact is not as good as his backup, who is Key.

Reaction Score
I will, bro. And you feel free to chime in with whatever it was that you thought was "nuanced" about his statements. I'm quite sure you won't be back to show us one of the "nuances" and why we've missed it. But thanks for playing...
You can lead a horse to water....

Reaction Score
Yesterday Mike and Mike had someone on from Chicago, and they were talking about the Bears D and the debacle against GB on Sunday night.

Basic gist was:

You have to scheme your D around the dumbest person on your D. One guy not in concert with the rest of the scheme can ruin everything, which is exactly why Rodgers picked them apart on Sunday.

Just keep this in mind when we want Diaco to come up with complete schemes to play unconventional offenses. Given the time, he might have just chosen to contain the damage and hope to outscore them (which obviously we didn't).

Reaction Score
Yesterday Mike and Mike had someone on from Chicago, and they were talking about the Bears D and the debacle against GB on Sunday night.

Basic gist was:

You have to scheme your D around the dumbest person on your D. One guy not in concert with the rest of the scheme can ruin everything, which is exactly why Rodgers picked them apart on Sunday.

Just keep this in mind when we want Diaco to come up with complete schemes to play unconventional offenses. Given the time, he might have just chosen to contain the damage and hope to outscore them (which obviously we didn't).

I'm not concerned one bit about Diaco's ability to supervise the construction of an effective defense both personnel and schematic and game plans designed to best use his own defensive personnel, and defend against an opponent's offense and stop them from moving the ball and/or scoring effectively.

I am concerned a whole hell of a lot about Diaco's ability to supervise the construction of a complete game plan for an opponent, that addresses all three phases of the game, and emphasizes using is own personnel, in all three phases of the game, to best put our entire team in position to emphasize our own strengths and attack an opponents weaknesses in all three phases, to put our team in best position to win games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom