DHam | The Boneyard

DHam

C

Chief00

Hamilton's Draft Status Uncertain; Some Sites Have Him Going In Round 2

I am not revisiting his decision - that's water over the dam- and you can see the name of the agent responsible in the article - but what impressed me - was the NBA source repeatedly discussing DHam's lack of strength - Here's an objective expert who actually is higher on DHam than most - but he keeps going back to his lack of strength - not being able to absorb punishment going to the hoop - witness the NBA Finals series if you don't think that's important!

Not picking on our S&C coach but DHam is a guy who has been in the program for 2 years and quite frankly - who went to college to play pro basketball - not spend time in the library. Yet, the results regarding functioning strength are observably poor.

I am not calling for anyone to get fired but I hope there is a reassessment of Travis's academic theories - which may look good on paper or in a non major sport or in conditioning for a non athletic office worker - but clearly don't translate to strength needed to play basketball.

C

Chief00

Hamilton's Draft Status Uncertain; Some Sites Have Him Going In Round 2

I am not revisiting his decision - that's water over the dam- and you can see the name of the agent responsible in the article - but what impressed me - was the NBA source repeatedly discussing DHam's lack of strength - Here's an objective expert who actually is higher on DHam than most - but he keeps going back to his lack of strength - not being able to absorb punishment going to the hoop - witness the NBA Finals series if you don't think that's important!

Not picking on our S&C coach but DHam is a guy who has been in the program for 2 years and quite frankly - who went to college to play pro basketball - not spend time in the library. Yet, the results regarding functioning strength are observably poor.

I am not calling for anyone to get fired but I hope there is a reassessment of Travis's academic theories - which may look good on paper or in a non major sport or in conditioning for a non athletic office worker - but clearly don't translate to strength needed to play basketball.

Reaction Score
giphy.gif

Reaction Score
Nonsense.
Brimah came in a 6/10 stick man with no offensive skills, but he's going to leave .
Oh never mind.

Reaction Score
DHams biggest flaw is that he is not a good perimeter shooter. And for his position, that is what NBA teams are looking for the most.

Reaction Score
Chief certain kids need more than 2 years to develop NBA strength regardless of S&C coach. Also it varies on the player commitment, their 'starting' body's condition (weight, muscle, food intake, etc.) and its 'unnatural' adaptation when being forced to change/grow/develop in a short period of time.

Just saying. . . . . . .

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Chief certain kids need more than 2 years to develop NBA strength regardless of S&C coach. Also it varies on the player commitment, their 'starting' body's condition (weight, muscle, food intake, etc.) and its 'unnatural' adaptation when being forced to change/grow/develop in a short period of time.

Just saying. . . . . . .
You apparently cannot understand the subtle nuance of his post.

C

Chief00

DHams biggest flaw is that he is not a good perimeter shooter. And for his position, that is what NBA teams are looking for the most.

Maybe this Western Conference team should hire you then - if you know more than their employee. But true, we all have an opinion.

My own sense is that he will never be a knock down three point shooter - his chance to make the league is the mid range game and stuffing the box score with rebounds and assists. True, he will hit some 3's but that won't be his specialty.

Reaction Score
Strength was going to be an issue for Hamilton as an NBA prospect regardless of where he went to school. You realize that, every program wants the best strength and conditioning for their program and, as a result, some guys are still going to be less strong than others?

C

Chief00

Strength was going to be an issue for Hamilton as an NBA prospect regardless of where he went to school. You realize that, every program wants the best strength and conditioning for their program and, as a result, some guys are still going to be less strong than others?
The way to get better is to get beyond denial or rationalizing - accept what the facts say - then develop a plan and implement it. Doubling down on something that hasn't worked - isn't a solution. Academic theories don't always stand the real life tests and Travis needs to recognize that .

Reaction Score
He's averaging 14 & 8, 44% from the field and 35% from 3. He's playing better than he ever did at UConn, which is a good sign in his growth.
He's more suited to a pro system where he can be a secondary facilitator and tertiary shot-taker, rather than the guy who carries the load (as he was for us). I think he'll play his way into the league, tho I still greatly question his ability to defend at that level.

It really is too bad he didn't come back for one more year. Given the leap Adams has made as a primary ball-handler I think DHam's efficiency #s would have gone way up this year, and he could've played himself into a potential first-round pick.

And I also think we'd be 8-1 and ranked somewhere around 10th. Dammit.

EDIT: Anyway, I still wish the kid nothing but the best. He's a true Husky and the first bigtime recruit to pick us under Ollie, and he kept the team afloat for 2 years while we were recovering from the sanctions. If not for DHam we'd be a dumpster fire, and we should all always be grateful to him for that.

Reaction Score
If not for DHam we'd be a dumpster fire, and we should all always be grateful to him for that.

And then bailed as we were on the verge of surging back to national relevance.

Sorry, I don't exactly have a soft spot for a guy who was lukewarm at best about being here and possessed all the toughness of a wet paper towel.

Reaction Score

Sorry, I don't exactly have a soft spot for a guy who was lukewarm at best about being here and possessed all the toughness of a wet paper towel.

What is it about this season so far that gave you the impression we were a D-Ham away from surging back to relevance? This team still has at least a couple of losses if he's on the roster.

Reaction Score
The 2-way contracts in the new CBA should be great for Hamilton.

Reaction Score
What is it about this season so far that gave you the impression we were a D-Ham away from surging back to relevance? This team still has at least a couple of losses if he's on the roster.

Mayyyyybe. He made other players on the team better, and he knew how to play with them. We definitely still might have a loss or two, but it's hard to predict what this season would have looked like with him on the roster.

I think at the end of the day there are a lot of reasons he left. But he didn't want to compete with Larrier for minutes, or end up playing the 4 for another year. If he stayed, who's to say where we'd be? But I wouldn't rule out undefeated and ranked in the top 10. Seems plausible.

Reaction Score

He made a decision he thought was best for him and his family. He is 20 years old stop blaming him for leaving the program. He was a very good player for us and kept us in and won us a bunch of games. I for one love the kid and wish him the best, hope you all do too.

Reaction Score

You're so smart Tenspro. To have no interaction with Daniel Hamilton at all yet know that he was lukewarm about the program and know he had no toughness is amazing.

Reaction Score
Not only would DHam be the best player on the court, his presence would immediately make Brimah and Adams better as well.

Reaction Score
He made a decision he thought was best for him and his family. He is 20 years old stop blaming him for leaving the program. He was a very good player for us and kept us in and won us a bunch of games. I for one love the kid and wish him the best, hope you all do too.

Of course I don't wish ill upon him, and any success he has in the NBA will benefit the program. But I also don't hold him in the same regard that I do guys like Boat, Shabazz, etc. who actually accomplished something here and clearly relished the opportunity.

Reaction Score
You're so smart Tenspro. To have no interaction with Daniel Hamilton at all yet know that he was lukewarm about the program and know he had no toughness is amazing.

His apathy about the college experience has been well documented.

And I've never met Jeff Adrien, yet from watching his play and on-court demeanor I can say without controversy that he is a tough SOB. Why can I not conclude the opposite about Hamilton?

Reaction Score

So is this about you or him? As a fan, you can hold him in any regard you choose to. As a player, he owes you nothing. As an objective observer, DHam was a talented kid who never fully realized his potential in Storrs. As a UConn fan, I can't fathom how much worse the two years would have been without DHam on the team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom