DHam...the NBA is watching | The Boneyard

DHam...the NBA is watching

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Ummm....I think if you keep up with the shake and bakes, spinny moves and rim busters you are looking at year 3 as a Husky.

So, raise you game, kid.

Loved the rebounding, tho!!!

Reaction Score
Ummm....I think if you keep up with the shake and bakes, spinny moves and rim busters you are looking at year 3 as a Husky.

So, raise you game, kid.

You are a fool

Reaction Score

So, raise you game, kid.

I think he might be looking at 4. He is a great player but he isn't great at anything one thing that translates to the next level at this point. His versatility is great. I am not knocking him. I think he will get there, but it will take 2 more seasons unless he makes a huge leap going into next year.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think he might be looking at 4. He is a great player but he isn't great at anything one thing that translates to the next level at this point. His versatility is great. I am not knocking him. I think he will get there, but it will take 2 more seasons unless he makes a huge leap going into next year.
Maybe he's a Kevin Freeman type - not in the type of game he plays, but in that he's a tremendous college player (or can/will be), but doesn't have the skills needed to translate to the next level? I know Freeman was short for a power forward position, but i was just using that as a "for instance"...

Reaction Score
Maybe he's a Kevin Freeman type - not in the type of game he plays, but in that he's a tremendous college player (or can/will be), but doesn't have the skills needed to translate to the next level? I know Freeman was short for a power forward position, but i was just using that as a "for instance"...
I think Kevin Smith strength was tenacity - something I think diamond lacks. Drams strength is an all around game and and instinct and tenacity for rebounds. I think he can work on his shot and become an AA. I think he is more talented than Kfree, but less driven maybe.

Reaction Score
He just doesn't have the pull up mid range jumper with consistent body control like RIP and Ray had.

He's either chucking 3s or charging into the lane with out of control spin moves and lobbing the ball toward the rim hoping it takes a lucky bounce.

He needs to do a better job recognizing when the help defense is playing off him enough to just square up for the mid range jumper.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Dham has all the tools needed to play at the next level
What he lacks is confidence, leadership and a killer instinct
It's up to him to work hard on his shot and game - KO needs to help him with the confidence
I have no idea if he will be around as a senior but I do feel confident he will be in a UConn uniform next year

Reaction Score

So, raise you game, kid.

The NBA really isn't watching. At what point do people stop saying he's just in a little funk/slump and realize he hasn't been a good shooter since he's gotten here?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
The NBA really isn't watching. At what point do people stop saying he's just in a little funk/slump and realize he hasn't been a good shooter since he's gotten here?
Never cause critizizing your players on here is ban worthy to most people. Ham will be a great senior, but he's so far from the league right now.

Reaction Score
I would wager a pretty good amount of $ that the NBA is watching DHam. He will play in the league at some point.

Reaction Score
With his handle vision and passing I would think he is a pretty good prospect.
His shooting actually will be excellent.

Reaction Score
My opinion is that he is missing a center that can finish in the lane for him. Miller has to run plays outside the paint, Facey and Nolan are playing more for a rebound by trying to clear the opponent backwards rather than making eye contact and rushing towards the rim. I watched this yesterday (pick your poison - get a board or commit to an alley-op pass). DHam counts on the pass and it gets his confidence and game going. His funk aligns with AB's absence.

Reaction Score
What? The NBA looks at EVERY kid on every roster. You don't think teams have done intense studying of Daniel Hamilton? I'd have to think early in the season he was a candidate to go 15-30 in the next t draft. I would say personally he has fallen off that Mark but there is 40% of the season left

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
You guys are nuts. Hamilton's progress this year makes it seem he'll be here next year. Not a big deal.

He has all the tools to be successful at the next level. Most of his game (including handle) improved from last year, so there's no reason to think it won't do the same. He looks like a guy who'll be able to develop a very good knock down J -> coordinated, smooth, body type, work ethic, etc etc

Mind boggling stuff:
  • Everyone wants to look at these guys as static. It's mind boggling.
  • Hamiltong doesn't have a killer instinct. He along with Lamb, Rudy, and others got this BS label simply because of their 'lackadaisical' demeanor on the court. Other savvy basketball observers call this 'smooth'.
The one big knock on Hamilton right now vis a vis the next level is his athleticism for his body type projected position. The guys who play the 3 at the next level generally have far better athleticism than Hamilton. And he's just too small for the 4. He's going to have to lock down his J and really sure up his D before he can be successful. No reason to think he can't do this with a lot of work.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
You are a fool
I totally disagree.

This thread wasn't started to bash him. 90% of the Yard (incl. me) had him going to the NBA this season. Last season he flashed everything needed. Just needed to hone it all this year. Alas, that offensive mentality is seemingly absent. Timid drives toward the basket. Dumb shots.

I think if he just consistently drops 16+/game he is back to the NBA prospect watch list. Especially for a wing man/2 guard. Seriously hoping he raises the offensive game and it just might be Amida to the rescue for him.

Reaction Score
I'm not an NBA scout, but I consider myself as having a good eye for the transition from college to the NBA, w/UConn guys and in general.

Right now, D Ham is not an NBA player. It's not a knock on him, has nothing to do w/this slump, or anything else. He is a two guard, maaaaybe a 3 in the NBA, but he can't guard anyone. Start with his D before you even think about his offense. Fans too often focus on one side of the ball; his defense is pretty awful. Again, being objective, I like his game, but his D is bad.

Offensively, he doesn't have the quickness off the dribble to create his own shot. Ideally in the NBA he's a bench rotation guy, but he's not a spot up shooter, as he was kind of advertised coming out of high school. His pounding of the ball and spinning into the lane won't work in the NBA. It's not really working that well right now in the AAC. Out of 10 possessions, how many times would Kawhi Leonard steal the ball from him or block his shot?

To play in the NBA, D Ham really needs to improve his outside shooting, make quicker decisions with the ball, and get stronger and work on his D. I think he can play in the NBA eventually, but he may actually be a four year player. He's at least a 3 year player. If he's in the NBA next year, I fear it will be a short NBA career, and likely a solid career overseas. His game is actually very Euro if you think about it.

Reaction Score
You guys are nuts. Hamilton's progress this year makes it seem he'll be here next year. Not a big deal.

He has all the tools to be successful at the next level. Most of his game (including handle) improved from last year, so there's no reason to think it won't do the same. He looks like a guy who'll be able to develop a very good knock down J -> coordinated, smooth, body type, work ethic, etc etc

Mind boggling stuff:
  • Everyone wants to look at these guys as static. It's mind boggling.
  • Hamiltong doesn't have a killer instinct. He along with Lamb, Rudy, and others got this BS label simply because of their 'lackadaisical' demeanor on the court. Other savvy basketball observers call this 'smooth'.
The one big knock on Hamilton right now vis a vis the next level is his athleticism for his body type projected position. The guys who play the 3 at the next level generally have far better athleticism than Hamilton. And he's just too small for the 4. He's going to have to lock down his J and really sure up his D before he can be successful. No reason to think he can't do this with a lot of work.
DHam's primary position is at shooting guard at the next level, and right now the biggest knock on him is he simply can't make shots. If he can't do this right now at the college level, its not going to get better at the next level. He needs to show improvement in that area before he can be taken seriously as a potential NBA player, because he's not going to be put in the same ball handling and playmaking role that KO has him in. Just look at his potential write up before the season and the focus on his shooting, and right now he's even worse.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nba/eye-o...raft-preseason-preview-top-10-shooting-guards
8. Daniel Hamilton

Sophomore, Connecticut

Measurables: 6-8, 198 pounds, 6-8 wingspan

Hamilton is an interesting draft prospect due to his scoring ability, size for the position and ability to rebound from the wing. First and foremost, Hamilton's a scorer. He can knock down shots from the outside and slash to get shots from the midrange and at the rim. He's also a really good playmaker for others, as he averaged nearly four assists per game as a freshman -- something that's hard to do for wings in today's college game. The problem last season for him was that once he got inside the arc, he couldn't do anything. Despite his size, he only made 55 percent of his shots around the rim, and was even worse from the midrange. He also needs to improve his defensive effort, as he has the athleticism to be a difference maker on that end and just doesn't quite get there often enough. He'll be in a better position this year to be the focal point of Connecticut's offense without Ryan Boatright in the mix, and that should lead to something of a breakout if he can start getting more efficient

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
DHam's primary position is at shooting guard at the next level, and right now the biggest knock on him is he simply can't make shots. If he can't do this right now at the college level, its not going to get better at the next level. He needs to show improvement in that area before he can be taken seriously as a potential NBA player, because he's not going to be put in the same ball handling and playmaking role that KO has him in. Just look at his potential write up before the season and the focus on his shooting, and right now he's even worse.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nba/eye-o...raft-preseason-preview-top-10-shooting-guards
8. Daniel Hamilton

Sophomore, Connecticut

Hamilton is an interesting draft prospect due to his scoring ability, size for the position and ability to rebound from the wing. First and foremost, Hamilton's a scorer. He can knock down shots from the outside and slash to get shots from the midrange and at the rim. He's also a really good playmaker for others, as he averaged nearly four assists per game as a freshman -- something that's hard to do for wings in today's college game. The problem last season for him was that once he got inside the arc, he couldn't do anything. Despite his size, he only made 55 percent of his shots around the rim, and was even worse from the midrange. He also needs to improve his defensive effort, as he has the athleticism to be a difference maker on that end and just doesn't quite get there often enough. He'll be in a better position this year to be the focal point of Connecticut's offense without Ryan Boatright in the mix, and that should lead to something of a breakout if he can start getting more efficient

Good call. He's got even less athleticism at the 2. He's probably got to develop a lesser facsimile of Rip's shooting I suppose. I just still don't know why others think he's not capable of doing it. Still early.

Reaction Score
We have him 1 more that's it. This summer he will lock down the mid range and he will be ready.

Reaction Score

8. Daniel Hamilton

Sophomore, Connecticut

I don't see DHAM as 2 guard at the next level. He has the height to play SF just needs to improve his shot and get more assertive on offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom