DHam...the NBA is watching | Page 2 | The Boneyard

DHam...the NBA is watching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't see DHAM as 2 guard at the next level. He has the height to play SF just needs to improve his shot and get more assertive on offense.
That's cool, every site and scout that does NBA draft talk projects him as a SG(if he makes it) tho, I'll go with theirs and my opinion. His length/wingspan, frame, and height aren't favorable to playing SF longterm.

Reaction Score
Right now I would take a flyer on him in the second round, hoping he can become shaun Livingston lite. I feel as though he's better served trying to become a point guard as it would play to his advantages . Coming off screens and hitting shots/making plays is simply not in his repertoire .

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Right now I would take a flyer on him in the second round, hoping he can become shaun Livingston lite. I feel as though he's better served trying to become a point guard as it would play to his advantages . Coming off screens and hitting shots/making plays is simply not in his repertoire .
When's the last time a 6'8 pg was drafted?

Reaction Score
When's the last time a 6'8 pg was drafted?
It happens Marco jaric, Livingston , Diaw( initially a pg prospect), mcw. I just have a hard time identifying what dh can do effectively at the next level , having a size advantage would be one . Probably unlikely he ever plays pg at the NBA level not sure he is athletic enough , but itd be worth a gamble in the 2nd rnd IMO .

Reaction Score
It happens Marco jaric, Livingston , Diaw( initially a pg prospect), mcw. I just have a hard time identifying what dh can do effectively at the next level , having a size advantage would be one . Probably unlikely he ever plays pg at the NBA level not sure he is athletic enough , but itd be worth a gamble in the 2nd rnd IMO .
Also Kyle Anderson. Of course he doesn't play that position in the NBA. Hamilton would get abused at the point. He's not quick enough to guard that position.

Reaction Score
There are a lot of holes in DHams game, but they are all exascerbated by his inefficiency of movement. So many false steps, shakes, second-guesses, fumbles, etc. NBA/Pro players are about efficiency of motion and efficiency of skill. DHam has neither at this moment.

Side point. I know the announcers always laud DHams ability to dribble the ball up court, but often I've found that while yes, he can dribble it without turning it over, he doesn't create any dangerous or reliable scoring opportunities out of those opportunities with regularity. Just yesterday fouled up a 4 vs 2 and a 3 vs 2.

Weird player. Hope he puts it together, but his problems are not easy to fix. Many are really bad habits.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Yeah he's talented but I have no idea where he would stick. His best bet is to develop a killer jumper and 3 pointer and pray people overlook his defense and lack of athleticism.

Reaction Score
Yeah he's talented but I have no idea where he would stick. His best bet is to develop a killer jumper and 3 pointer and pray people overlook his defense and lack of athleticism.

Jack of All Trades, Master of None is not what most NBA teams look for in role players.

I see three career paths for DHam.

1. He goes crazy working on his Defense and 3PT shooting(form, speed, accuracy)
2. He fixes neurotic wiggling/dancing/pounding the ball, and tries to become Kyle Anderson V2 for a team like Spurs/Suns/Hawks who play a more open-ended offense.
3. Europe/Asia

Last edited:

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Jack of All Trades, Master of None is not what most NBA teams look for in role players.

I see three career paths for DHam.

1. He goes crazy working on his Defense and 3PT shooting(form, speed, accuracy)
2. He fixes neurotic wiggling/dancing/pounding the ball, and tries to become Kyle Anderson V2 for a team like Spurs/Suns/Hawks who play a more open-ended offense.
3. Europe/Asia
I think Option 1 is his best bet. He's way too slow and inept at running point, can't learn that overnight and be expected to run an NBA offense.

Reaction Score
That's cool, every site and scout that does NBA draft talk projects him as a SG(if he makes it) tho, I'll go with theirs and my opinion. His length/wingspan, frame, and height aren't favorable to playing SF longterm.
There are quite a few teams with 6-7 and 6-8 SF playing in the NBA. Actually there are a lot of teams with 6-9 and 6-10 centers. We will see I guess where he is drafted to play. Shoot old Kobe is playing sf and he is only 6-6. I don't think it is crazy to call him a SF considering the way he rebounds.

Reaction Score
There are quite a few teams with 6-7 and 6-8 SF playing in the NBA. Actually there are a lot of teams with 6-9 and 6-10 centers. We will see I guess where he is drafted to play. Shoot old Kobe is playing sf and he is only 6-6. I don't think it is crazy to call him a SF considering the way he rebounds.

I listed all 3 factors not just his height. If he makes the NBA can he play some SF minutes, sure, I just don't think that's a fulltime position for him. He's got too much to work on before I can even envision him playing any NBA minutes so its really not a big deal at this point in time.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Not to nitpick but I think Livingston is 6'7:). MCW is more towards 6'6 I thought as well, not to mention he's not even close to being the sort of facilitator MCW was in college. I don't know what he will do in the league, but he's gotta improve everywhere if he wants a shot at getting drafted.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Also Kyle Anderson. Of course he doesn't play that position in the NBA. Hamilton would get abused at the point. He's not quick enough to guard that position.
I'm pretty sure Anderson is a sf who plays the role of "point forward," kinda like Lebron. Even if Hamilton wanted to make the NBA that way, Anderson was much better than him currently, and ended up barely ending up drafted in the first round. Hamilton has a ways to go, which is fine, cause I'd love to have him another year or two.

Reaction Score
My guess is this is a thread with a bunch of people commenting on a kid's NBA prospects from a bunch of people that don't actually follow the NBA. The NBA is not interested in shooting guards who can't shoot. His measurables also aren't exactly in his favor, he has very nice height for the position but he's not much of an athlete by NBA standards and his wingpspan is right around his height which isn't ideal. He can become someone the NBA covets at some point but he's very far from being that guy right now. Love the kid but you have to call it straight.

Reaction Score
There's two things DHam needs to do before he can even consider becoming a SG in today's NBA:
1. Defend other 2 guards
2. Stroke the deep ball like a boss

Remember, any college player that wants to have an NBA career must unseat a player that is already there doing it right now. We all agree DHam isn't taking anyone's job next season. Its our gain, really. I love the kid and look forward to having him on our team for a while. Stay humble #5.

Reaction Score
Love the DH, but he really has a long way to go. Should be back next year but who knows what DH is feeling. He needs more work and needs to find something he does really well.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
People who think Dham is a prospect, what skills do you feel he possess that will allow him to STICK in the NBA? Keep in mind that he has shorter than average arms and seemingly below average foot speed.

Reaction Score
People who think Dham is a prospect, what skills do you feel he possess that will allow him to STICK in the NBA? Keep in mind that he has shorter than average arms and seemingly below average foot speed.

While you make some solid points and these are things he will need to overcome, the kid possesses a knowledge of the game, excellent passing skills although inconsistent and he can rebound from his position. Let's not pretend he doesn't have any skills which transition to the NBA because he does. But there is a lot to work on for sure.

Reaction Score
My guess is this is a thread with a bunch of people commenting on a kid's NBA prospects from a bunch of people that don't actually follow the NBA. The NBA is not interested in shooting guards who can't shoot. His measurables also aren't exactly in his favor, he has very nice height for the position but he's not much of an athlete by NBA standards and his wingpspan is right around his height which isn't ideal. He can become someone the NBA covets at some point but he's very far from being that guy right now. Love the kid but you have to call it straight.
Agreed. At his size, lacking elite athleticism, he needs to become a much more consistent shooter and greatly improve his shot selection. Not sure he projects to be better than his brother Jordan, who isn't even in the league anymore. The bottom line is we probably have nothing to worry about with regard to him leaving early. I still think with better shot selection he can be a tremendous college player, even if those skills don't end up translating well to the NBA. From sophomore to Junior year is where you commonly see huge improvements from players. Wouldn't be surprised if we saw a Rip or Donyell type improvement out of DHam his junior year.

Reaction Score
There's two things DHam needs to do before he can even consider becoming a SG in today's NBA:
1. Defend other 2 guards
2. Stroke the deep ball like a boss

Remember, any college player that wants to have an NBA career must unseat a player that is already there doing it right now. We all agree DHam isn't taking anyone's job next season. Its our gain, really. I love the kid and look forward to having him on our team for a while. Stay humble #5.
This is a great and often overlooked point. People seem to assume that very good college players will automatically play in the NBA, while in reality there are dozens of absolute pros that know how to fill a role and conduct their business. Those guys love the NBA lifestyle and paycheck and will fight like hell not to lose it.

Reaction Score
I think his solid handle and court vision for someone his size has hurt him a bit. I think he has a decent stroke, but he seems to want to be a point guard. He's looking for a place to dribble and distribute and thinks about his shot last which means he has less concentration on the shot. And while that handle is strong for someone his size, it's not as good as a real point guard. I'd love to see him become more like Rip. Move him around the floor and hit him in a dangerous spot. Then he should look for a shot (first) or pass.

He's reminded me a bit of Kevin Freeman's senior year (and Burrell's a bit too). Freeman's was a great forward, but everyone knew he'd be undersized in the pros. So JC gave him the opportunity to improve his outside game and showcase what he could do. It worked for Burrell, even though I remember him struggling senior season, but it just wasn't with Freeman's skill set. At least that's how I remember it! I love Hamilton's overall game, I just think they aren't using him at his best. That best may not be what's best for his NBA future though.

Reaction Score
I think his solid handle and court vision for someone his size has hurt him a bit. I think he has a decent stroke, but he seems to want to be a point guard. He's looking for a place to dribble and distribute and thinks about his shot last which means he has less concentration on the shot. And while that handle is strong for someone his size, it's not as good as a real point guard. I'd love to see him become more like Rip. Move him around the floor and hit him in a dangerous spot. Then he should look for a shot (first) or pass.

He's reminded me a bit of Kevin Freeman's senior year (and Burrell's a bit too). Freeman's was a great forward, but everyone knew he'd be undersized in the pros. So JC gave him the opportunity to improve his outside game and showcase what he could do. It worked for Burrell, even though I remember him struggling senior season, but it just wasn't with Freeman's skill set. At least that's how I remember it! I love Hamilton's overall game, I just think they aren't using him at his best. That best may not be what's best for his NBA future though.
How should they use him? You think they should be using him like Rip when he can't make shots?

Reaction Score
How should they use him? You think they should be using him like Rip when he can't make shots?
First, I want to make it clear that I mean "like" Rip. He can't shoot like him at this point, and probably never will. I think Daniel is a good shooter that doesn't put himself in a good shooting position (balance, spot on the floor). I think some of this is because he is worrying about passing and dribbling first, and also because he's starting with the ball outside the three point line. A mid range game could do wonders for him. I can't believe that he doesn't eat up a zone as the guy flashing to the middle.

I just think he's playing too much towards the position he thinks he should be in the NBA. I think there has to be a better way to use his talents. Maybe he's just one of those players that is good at everything , but isn't superior enough at one thing to be a superior player. A great guy to have on the team, but not the superstar we thought he'd be (more like a Denham Brown that didn't score 100 points in a high school game). I personally still think he can do more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom