Developing Jay Stewart in game might be reasonable | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Developing Jay Stewart in game might be reasonable

Reaction Score
There is also the fact that Hurley said himself he sometimes forgets players on the bench in the heat of the game

He also has recently said he wanted to be able to give Alex more bench time to not wear him down this year. Seems to me last night would have been a great time to do it. Especially since it seems that hand is still bothering him, we've never seen him shoot so poorly. Those 3's weren't even close

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I was pissed at Hurley the year he didn’t play the freshman and then they transferred but it was pretty obvious he was right. So I’m done questioning what they see in practice.
The only question I had was why Hurlry didn't play Adama at the start of his freshman year. Hurley realized this, and will do so again this season.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Gonna need a TL;DR on this one brother.

The verbose writing is a bit much here. I generally enjoy your schtick, but I'm tired and injured. Gonna have to tone it down if you want to communicate with me today.

Don't change though. We need all kinds of kinds to make this place work.
Not unexpected, and appropriately modest. Appreciated.

A snarkish/humble/caring TL;DR translation could be, "When you're the smartest guy in the room, walk gently, be kind, and help others. No need to use the big stick."

Others might say, "He was just trying to tone you down to better communicate with others."

Reaction Score
Gonna need a TL;DR on this one brother.
You and the other guy should read it.

From what I've read here, most of the people you and the other guy are basically want to know one thing. What changed from when DH said JS deserves more minutes one or two games ago?

Did he slack off in practice? Neither you nor any of us know, but it's inconsistent at best for DH to make such a statement if he's not certain he'll follow through on it. If a guy isn't deemed ready to contribute keep quiet about it. Or was that his way of keeping JS from thinking about the portal?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Usually the freshmen that end up playing more by seasons end, are already part of the rotation. Guys like Bouknight and Sanogo were clearly better than their contemporaries, but we knew this was true because they had earned significant roles in practice. Stewart has a long way to go to convince me he needs more minutes on an established top 5 team.

Reaction Score
Our exception coaching staff screwed up. Team was unprepared, game plan was terrible, execution was terrible, adjustments were terrible. Doesn't mean they aren't a great staff, just means they were just as bad the players last night. I don't think Hurley would even argue the point.
Yep. It was a terrible night for the players and coaches. It happens to the best of them. If we lost first round in the tournament last year we would all be freaking out right now but having the largest margin of victory in the modern era for a national championship run and whooping up against big name out of conference teams once again we have a pretty good idea about how good this head coach/staff and players are and how they fix things and bounce back.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Let me bring to the table one more reason to play Stewart or Ross a few minutes. Donovan may miss some time. Will we run with just 7?
It's not just the numbers, it's that there are two guys who aren't guards. Castle is strong enough to be a SF, but despite our tall guards, we lack a lot of size in the front court. So if they don't play Singare, they almost have to at least play Stewart, Ross or Roumoglou.

Reaction Score
In two years I hope someone re-opens this thread and I can point fingers at all the mouthbreathers who think they know better than our exceptional coaching staff. It's laughable.
So, it's your opinion the coaching staff did an exceptional job last night? Not sure even they'd agree.

Reaction Score
So, it's your opinion the coaching staff did an exceptional job last night? Not sure even they'd agree.
Every fan base of every college or pro team in the entire world praises they’re team when they win and criticizes they’re team when they lose.

The idea that fans think they know better than the staff because they have criticisms or point things out is actually one of the most ridiculous and unrealistic takes on this board.

Reaction Score
Every fan base of every college or pro team in the entire world praises they’re team when they win and criticizes they’re team when they lose.

The idea that fans think they know better than the staff because they have criticisms or point things out is actually one of the most ridiculous and unrealistic takes on this board.
The idea that everyone thinks the coaches are the most intelligent people around is the problem. There are a lot of smart people that don't coach, but still understand and appreciate the game.

Reaction Score
The idea that everyone thinks the coaches are the most intelligent people around is the problem. There are a lot of smart people that don't coach, but still understand and appreciate the game.
And those people, while very intelligent about the game of basketball, are nowhere near the intelligence of D1 basketball head coaches

Reaction Score
In general I agree with you, but coaches aren't right 100% of the time. Hurley has admitted many times that he made a mistake with decision making or personnel moves. Nobody is 100% infallible.

Reaction Score
And those people, while very intelligent about the game of basketball, are nowhere near the intelligence of D1 basketball head coaches
It’s not rocket science. It’s a game. Coaches are rarely better than their players.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
In two years I hope someone re-opens this thread and I can point fingers at all the mouthbreathers who think they know better than our exceptional coaching staff. It's laughable.
In the simplest terms:

If we knew the entirety of the reasons DH is giving players the PT they are receiving we could logically discuss the potential errors in what he is doing. As we don't know what is behind it, saying "it's a lost cause anyway so let's see what they can do" is not a valid argument.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Let me bring to the table one more reason to play Stewart or Ross a few minutes. Donovan may miss some time. Will we run with just 7?
Not if Clingan's absence is extended. I brought this up in my very long post before yours. If that's the situation, adjustments will be made. The WBB team has had to deeply reimagine itself 3 years in a row now. Hurley can probably consult with Geno on the subject.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I'll bet heavily that his answer is No. Then again, he made no such claim whatsoever. That's your concoction. I deeply doubt the coaching staff thinks they did an exceptional job; Hurley even said so in the post-game interview.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Except that nobody other than you is putting forth that exact idea.
In general I agree with you, but coaches aren't right 100% of the time. Hurley has admitted many times that he made a mistake with decision making or personnel moves. Nobody is 100% infallible.
As written, the point you are commenting on might pair with what you're saying, but I think he intended something nearly opposite to what you are addressing.
It’s not rocket science. It’s a game. Coaches are rarely better than their players.
Better at what?

I've bunched these together because pretty regularly posters offer passionate arguments that forcefully rebut arguments that haven't been made, and do so by jumping to conclusions that aren't really there to be made.

A lot of points that are on a similar subject are not related to the same aspect of that subject. Or if they were plotted on an extremity continuum, they'd mismatch extremities in addition to misunderstanding the point of view.

I don't think any of this is so much a case of lack of comprehension as much as it's a lack of attention & consideration. It probably reveals where emotions cloud critical thinking. I also don't think my writing will result in much movement toward better communication.

It does, however, appear to be easier to defeat an argument that isn't being made.

Reaction Score
Better at what? Great teams don’t usually have bad coaches, and great coaches usually don’t have bad teams.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Better at what? Great teams don’t usually have bad coaches, and great coaches usually don’t have bad teams.
What's written above does not make sense to me. Perhaps I was unclear, so I'll try again. You wrote the following:
Coaches are rarely better than their players.
"At what" are coaches rarely better than their players?

Are coaches rarely better free throw shooters than their players?
Are coaches rarely better dribblers than their players?
Are coaches rarely better dunkers than their players?

If that's what you meant, I'm inclined to agree, and don't see any controversy to such ideas. But I also don't see any relevance to this this thread.

Are you saying that coaches are rarely better recruiters than their players?
Are coaches rarely better strategists than their players?
Are coaches rarely better teachers than their players?
In short, are coaches rarely better at coaching than their players?

If that's what you are claiming, I can see the relevance of considerimg such assertions, but I'm quite surprised that you'd make them, and I disagree.

Am I misreading or misinterpreting you?

I simply don't understand what you've written, but it seems only fair for me to allow for the possibility that I'm missing something.

Please help me out.
Thanks in advance.

Reaction Score
All I will say is that SH was a perfect time for Stewart to lose his BE virginity. That experience alone would have benefited his development beyond practice. Ball and Castle struggled, but they now have some idea of what to expect in Conference play.

Freshman are difficult to judge, but game situations do give you another perspective of their current abilities. Also will give the 'highly touted' frosh important feedback on why he is not playing many minutes.

If Stewart isn't BE game ready fine, but how will you ever know? Some freshman players have been known to surprise coaches and fans, by playing unexpectedly fine outside of practice. We all know their are players who play much better in game situations than in practice. His teammate knows his tendencies, skills and moves, making it difficult to shine. Opponents not so much.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom