Developing Jackson’s Game | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Developing Jackson’s Game

Reaction Score
What do you hear chief? Lol
It’s important that decisions are made with current seniors soon as to if they are returning, so transfers know about potential available playing time. Having said that, of course it’s clear we need scoring. More to come

Reaction Score
I for one am glad to see you back
He’s not back. This is a different and much better version. Not so full of self love and not pretentious. Thankfully.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
you don’t get additional points for degree of difficulty or style. So where the simple pass is there, take it. Seems to do a little bit of this with his shots and defense as well. Many of his points came on highlight reel dunks

Reaction Score
Maturity will be part of the process. One thing that stood out is he's a gifted passer and sometimes when players are like that the only pass they try to find is the "pretty" one. He needs to know the separation of pretty and just throw the right pass. But he will be fine, his vision is very good.
He handles it well for his size as well, needs to tighten it up. He can get to the lane but not always the rim. He needs, and this is the most important to me, a mid range game. A go-to floater or pull up. He doesn't have to shoot 3's to be an impact player but he does need to shoot the ball. This summer needs to be thousands upon thousands of pull ups, runners, floaters and find that shot whether it's Jeremy Lamb like one hander or Rip like floater. He drastically needs this more than anything.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
There are tons of examples of guys playing at the highest level that have non-traditional jump shots. Shawn Marion, the ball brothers, list goes on and on. It’d do more harm than good trying to completely rework his shot. It is what it is at this point. He can make some improvements to make for a cleaner release and better footwork. I’ve seen worse for sure. But yeah he’s gotta improve his shooting obviously. Lot to like with him still tho moving forward.

Agreed.

FWIW, with tweaks to his shot, Kawhi Leonard went from a Gerald Wallace-type to a first-team All-NBA player.

Reaction Score
you don’t get additional points for degree of difficulty or style. So where the simple pass is there, take it. Seems to do a little bit of this with his shots and defense as well. Many of his points came on highlight reel dunks
Dunks are fine but of course the best pass is one someone catches and converts into a hoop. So Andre needs to process the capabilities of the pass receiver to both catch and score. He’s a great kid, who wants to learn, so I look forward to that next step.

Reaction Score
By all accounts he seems to be an intelligent kid with good work ethic, who is a student of the game. I still stand by my prediction that he’ll develop into one of the best overall players we’ve ever had. Probably not as skilled as Burrell but I see him filling up the stat sheet with points, rebounds, assists, steals and blocks. If it takes him two years to develop into that guy, then we get to enjoy him for two more years. If he develops into that guy next year, we could have a pretty exciting team.

Reaction Score
I still stand by my prediction that he’ll develop into one of the best overall players we’ve ever had.

that means he could be NBA hall of farmer. I’ll take that, but he needs a jump shot from 10 feet out to three Range.

Reaction Score
that means he could be NBA hall of farmer. I’ll take that, but he needs a jump shot from 10 feet out to three Range.
No it doesn’t. I’d argue Scott Burrell was one of our most complete players and wasn’t close to a hall of famer. Doesn’t diminish just how valuable he was in a Husky uniform.

Reaction Score
AJax you need to be able to hit midrange J's and 3's or you will be phased out. Get to work. Those shots win games dunks do not.

Reaction Score
As I think about what has to happen for this team to get to the next level, I've tried to think about general areas of work for the entire team - what do we do well collectively and what do we NOT do well.

I think its pretty fascinating how poor our players are at playing thru contact, generally.

It is an absolute skill and something that you can practice and develop with technique, staying on balance, and understanding situational basketball. Did the refs just call a bad foul? Dribble and initiate some contact. Are you in the bonus, dribble into some contact, throw your head bad when you are hit. Stay on balance when you drive to the rim. Coming off a screen? get the guy on your shoulder and create an angle to the rim. At the highest level when the games get gritty, those players who know how to draw fouls, get to the line, finish at the rim, and play physical defense without fouling are what separates good and great teams.

Coincidentally, this is also an area we are horrible at, and we get punished routinely by good teams.

Case in point -

1. We are one of the worst teams in the country at layups, despite our size and athleticism.
2. We are one of the worst teams in the country at fouling & free throws against
3. We are mediocre at best at getting to the foul line
4. When teams bodied up Bouknight, they slowed him down.

Examples of teams that do this really well:
Great analysis! Thanks.

Reaction Score
AJax you need to be able to hit midrange J's and 3's or you will be phased out. Get to work. Those shots win games dunks do not.
There is no way he’ll be phased out, he’s far too athletic and multidimensional. He really only sat out due to foul trouble. Consistent jumper or not, he’ll get plenty of PT, especially with Bouk gone.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Do we post one of these every few days just in case Jackson reads the BY? To prevent it from sliding down the threads?
Jackson knows he needs to shoot better
Everyone on the boneyard thinks he needs to to improve his shooting

How many more of these do we need? (Goes to start a Bouk should stay or go thread)
The important thing is that Hurley knows what Andre needs and in what order. He is raw but from what I see he has a great attitude. Combine that with unlimited athleticism and all you need is off season training under proper supervision. I was astonished when everyone on our past years team came for the summer. Every single one. I have confidence that the dedication will continue and the new recruits will catch on. It's a good reason to want to come to Uconn. Looking forward to the filling out of the roster this spring and into the summer.

Reaction Score
On sophomore-to-be Andre Jackson: “Offensive production,” Hurley said. “Get that ball in his hands and get him attacking that paint. His vision and passing, his athletic ability and basketball handling skills, he’s got to continue to work on his perimeter shot, but that’s a guy we need next year living in the paint with the ball, creating offense, pushing the ball in transition.”

Reaction Score
On sophomore-to-be Andre Jackson: “Offensive production,” Hurley said. “Get that ball in his hands and get him attacking that paint. His vision and passing, his athletic ability and basketball handling skills, he’s got to continue to work on his perimeter shot, but that’s a guy we need next year living in the paint with the ball, creating offense, pushing the ball in transition.”

Really sounds like he could be “phased out” lol.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Agreed.

FWIW, with tweaks to his shot, Kawhi Leonard went from a Gerald Wallace-type to a first-team All-NBA player.
Yeah but non-traditional shooting that misses isn't helpful.

Reaction Score
No it doesn’t. I’d argue Scott Burrell was one of our most complete players and wasn’t close to a hall of famer. Doesn’t diminish just how valuable he was in a Husky uniform.

we have players in the hall of fame. Yet you think they are not our best players? Ok

Reaction Score
we have players in the hall of fame. Yet you think they are not our best players? Ok
Ray was never considered a great or even good defensive player, didn’t bring the ball up court, etc. He was a tremendous offensive player, something almost every hall of famer has in common. Stop mixing up incredible scorers and guys who can impact every facet of the game. What part of the word overall do you keep having difficulty comprehending?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
IMO..Jackson will be fine after a full off season/summer of SnC/skill development/putting up a lot of shots.Predict he will make the biggest jump in improvement over previous season of this year's roster.

I am less concerned about his jump shot form and more interested in his evolution as a scorer. Like Bouk-He is more dangerous with the ball in his hands off the dribble rather than a catch and shoot kind of player.

The kid is an Alpha player and the up and down season he just went through will provide plenty of incentive to improve on results next year.

Reaction Score
IMO..Jackson will be fine after a full off season/summer of SnC/skill development/putting up a lot of shots.Predict he will make the biggest jump in improvement over previous season of this year's roster.

I am less concerned about his jump shot form and more interested in his evolution as a scorer. Like Bouk-He is more dangerous with the ball in his hands off the dribble rather than a catch and shoot kind of player.

The kid is an Alpha player and the up and down season he just went through will provide plenty of incentive to improve on results next year.
I agree about a lot of what you said but improving his shooting is going to be key to his scoring off the dribble. Defenders played way off him this season and that makes it incredibly difficult for even the most athletic guys to take someone off the bounce. I agree with the improvement though. I feel pretty confident we’ll see at least respectable shooting coming out of the off-season and that’s really all he should need to become really dangerous.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom