Deshields staying at UT | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Deshields staying at UT

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I have to believe that her decision to return for another year of WCBB had lots to do with what was likely the indication that she would not go high in the WNBA draft, and might have seen her career flounder even more than it has. Seems to me that she's banking on making AA next year and boosting her professional prospects. Though some here suggested that she would go #1 in the draft, I think that was daft.

I wonder how HW will handle this. I'm guessing that she is going to sit her down and tell her that she's not getting the same playing time as she expects, and that there is a youth movement at UT. Like it or lump it!!

Well, think of it as a weather front that was expect to move out to sea, but decided to hang around and mix with the other one. Could be an interesting combination or could be occluded.

With Diamond, Mercedes Russell and Jaime Nared all coming back, you've got two redshirt seniors and a senior to (hopefully) lead and mix with that very talented incoming class of Evina Westbrook, Anastasia Hayes, Rennia Davis and Kasihyahna Kushkituah. Russell and Nared are from Portland, as is Westbrook, so hopefully they can give their fellow left-coaster some guidance. It will be up to Holly Warwick to mesh this unexpected meshing of fronts. Stay tuned to see if it's smooth or stormy or some combination thereof.

Reaction Score
It's not like she needs the money. Her MLB family seems to be doing well.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Russell and Nared are from Portland, as is Westbrook,

I gotta nitpick this. Russell is from Springfield (my mom's home town) and Westbrook is from Salem. Neither is Portland. Not even suburbs of Portland. All 3 are from Oregon anyway. Springfield is right around the corner from Eugene, about halfway to California from Portland.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I gotta nitpick this. Russell is from Springfield (my mom's home town) and Westbrook is from Salem. Neither is Portland. Not even suburbs of Portland. All 3 are from Oregon anyway. Springfield is right around the corner from Eugene, about halfway to California from Portland.

Nit taken and apologies to "The Beaver State," but as you said "All 3 are from Oregon anyway" and that 's really the point of that part of my post. The Lady Vols have had a bit of a pipeline into Tennessee and maybe these Oregonians can help Ms. Westbrook with her orientation to Knoxville.

Given the upgrade in programs at Oregon, Oregon State and the Pac 12 in general, I'm still at a bit of a loss as to why they had to do a reverse manifest destiny but maybe they wanted to follow the group Gomez's advice and "see the world" or maybe they like eastern Tennessee in the fall and early spring or like orange. Who knows?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I love Gabby, but I think Wilson, then possibly Turner if she returns will be 1 and 2 next year.
I generally agree, although Turner's knee is a big question. I also expect Gabby to continue to develop her jump shot to the point where she just might be the #1 overall pick. She's already an elite defender, outstanding passer & rebounder and capable scorer.

Add in a tremendous work ethic and outstanding leadership ability and IMO, any WNBA GM that passes on Gabby will regret doing so.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Congratulations are in order for Vol Nation when one of their favorite daughters decides to stay for her final year of eligibility. I'm eating a "crow" sandwich with some "crow fries" :confused: as I write this, because I WAS WRONG. I said all season that DeShields was leaving at the end of the season for the W. I did not see any scenario possible that could possibly arise or manifest itself that would make her return for the 2017-2018 season.

I was shocked when I read the first post that broke the news. I would have bet the farm she was leaving. With Mercedes Russell, T'ea Cooper, Jamie Nared and DeShields coming back, along with a highly touted freshman class coming in, Tennessee will showcase one of their best teams in the last 7-10 years. Holly will really be on the hot seat this year because as others here have commented, the lack of talent or a deep bench will not be an excuse if the Lady Vols fail to win. I wonder what "Ya girl Margo" has to say about this announcement? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Given the upgrade in programs at Oregon, Oregon State and the Pac 12 in general, I'm still at a bit of a loss as to why they had to do a reverse manifest destiny but maybe they wanted to follow the group Gomez's advice and "see the world" or maybe they like eastern Tennessee in the fall and early spring or like orange. Who knows?

The landscape was different when Russell (and Reynolds, a Sr. this year also from Portland) committed, and Nared was just a year later. But yeah, Westbrook is puzzling to me too. I can't understand how the mystique of the Vols is still going strong a decade since their last Final 4. Any high school recruit who doesn't realize Warlick is a poor coach is not paying attention at all. I don't know what the draw is. I wanted to see Westbrook go to OSU, and barring that I could've understood Notre Dame since they've been the #2 program over a 5 year stretch or so. Rueck has been doing a great job at OSU but hasn't been getting blue chip recruits. Maybe now that Graves has UO on the rise he'll put up a fence around the state of Oregon.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm not that surprised - I just don't think it is all that common still for women to forego eligibility. Yes, Tuck did in somewhat special circumstances and with 4 NCs in her pocket, and we had that one class two years ago with three I think, Parker, and the Rutgers player all those years ago. There aren't all that many jobs and they are not 'set for life' jobs like with the boys.
For Diamond, I am not so sure she was that hot a prospect coming off this past year - her personal numbers were up somewhat from previous years, but ...
I'm very surprised that both Kelsey Mitchell and Diamond stayed. You mention Morgan but there was also Jewell of ND and Amanda Zahui B., all three of them l were top 1,2,& 3 picks in the draft. Diamond and Mitchell were also projected to be in that same range.

Reaction Score
On the Oregon connection, there must be some sort of coach up there who acts as a pipeline for Tennessee..... much like in football U of Oregon pulls a lot of top flite talent out of Texas with help of influential AAU coach.... I really do not think Oregon young ladies come to Tenn because they pine to play for Coach Warlick. It is more for the personal connection which is probably there. I do not think Tennessee in its recruiting plans, decided several years ago.... "Ok let's go up and hit up the state of Oregon" ... there has to be a connection there... also, I see Tennessee Lady Vols program as a warmed over version of Notre Dame in football ....an undeniably rich history.... whose best days are behind them.... are they still relevant and good for ratings... well yes.... lot of people want to go to Tenn I imagine because they know Tenn is on TV a lot and they see the 8 banners hanging in TBA. And it is my suspicion , though not founded in fact, and subject to potential anger of LV fans.... that recruits know they will not have to (to put it nicely) undergo a boot camp mentality.....

Related to this, the folks in the AD at Tenn need to decide on Holly as LV leader.... As a fan who follows the top 10 WCBB teams pretty closely... she seems to have made many fundamental mistakes.... right from the get go.... I coached HS hoops, and I would have been shown the door if i made some of the decisions she has made.... but Tenn has been happy with her.... the real crime with her made by TN was not in the initial hiring, after all it was Pat's wish that she have the job, but in the extension.... she did get to the Elite 8...and more than once... . though I have always said so would I with the roster of great talent they have always had.....

On Diamond.... I was surprised when she decided to return.... the one good thing is that Diamond gives them a chance in every game they play..... she is uber talented individually.... but here is my big question.... (well a couple of them)..... first .. what is going to change from last year? The one thing I can say that will change is Tea Cooper... though I did not consider her great a year ago.... she definitely can stabilize the situation at guard... a vital position in WCBB.... Westbrook everyone is buzzing about but are you REALLY going to depend on her as a freshman? Freshmen who are successful out of the box... ala Destiny Slocum.... are rare.... and for that matter the whole incoming class will need some seasoning.... I do not see Diamond or the team ahead of this year's pace at all.... still need a more focused and styled offense....

For TN's sake, I hope in the middle of next season, we are not hearing from Holly "well, Diamond just tries too hard to do more than her share of the work".... to explain high turnovers or low shooting percentages..... hopefully we will not hear from the LV faithful.... references to the injuries they have had, or the fact that it is hard to follow a legend.... Holly has more than 35 years of coaching experience , and TN has got their dream lineup i think.... DD, Mercedes, Nared, Cooper, and a 5th, plus supporting cast.... for their sake i hope it is good recipe to compete with the South Carolinas and Ms States.... and to rub out the 3 game losing streak to Alabama, and play with a hunger every game at least on the level of being ahead of the competition.

Reaction Score
Apparently the most recent comments by WNBA talent scouts were that Diamond was likely the #1 pick so her draft stock had nothing to do with her forgoing it.

Reaction Score
TP3 in your opinion why did DD return? Finish unfinished biz? finish degree? Get most out of college experience?

In my opinion if you guys do well next year, your MVP will be either Cooper or Westbrook, whoever assumes the mantle as starting PG

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Did a little googling. Russell, Nared and Reynolds were all AAU teammates. Another AAU teammate (Kailee Johnson) went to Stanford.

Westbrook played for the same AAU team as Ionescu, so it doesn't look like that coach is specifically steering players to Tennessee. Westbrook was high school teammates w/ Katie McWilliams, currently a soph at Oregon St.

While the Oregon schools are having some trouble keeping their best instate HS talent at home, UW is doing even worse. They can't seem to get any local talent the last 2-3 years. Neighbors obviously isn't from the area originally and he hasn't chosen to hire any assistant coaches w/ strong local ties. He doesn't seem to have a connection w/ the local AAU scene. Just in the last 2 years Oregon and Oregon St. have nabbed 3 players from UW's back yard that the Huskies would've LOVED to get--6-6 Lydia Giomi from West Seattle, combo guard Mikayla Pivec from Lynnwood and stretch 4 Taya Corosdale from Bothell.

On further review, UW did get '15 McD's AA Deja Strother from nearby Kenmore. If you're asking yourself "who?", it's because she really hasn't done anything so far in 2 years.

Reaction Score
I still think there is a strong AAU connection which channels Oregonians toward Knoxville

Yes Johnson chose Stanford,,,... who wouldn't and Ionescu has a brother at (I think) Oregon.... influenced her decision.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I still think there is a strong AAU connection which channels Oregonians toward Knoxville

Yes Johnson chose Stanford,,,... who wouldn't and Ionescu has a brother at (I think) Oregon.... influenced her decision.

Ionescu was always staying on the west coast. Originally had a final 3 of Oregon, Oregon St. and Cal. Then she eliminated OSU and Cal and added UW. Her brother (twin) was supposed to be a walk on at UO, but he never ended up there. He's at some JC in California.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Looks like Westbrook was involved w/ that same AAU program (Team Concept) as Nared, Russell and Reynolds at one point before switching to a Northern California (Cal Stars) based team. But the Oregon program has sent as many players to Stanford as Tennessee, and also had the Schimmel sisters who went to Louisville. Also recently had Lexi Bando who is at Oregon, but she was headed to Gonzaga until Kelly Graves changed schools and she followed him.

I don't know, doesn't really seem to be any rhyme or reason to it to me.

Goes back a few years, but Tennessee also nabbed Angie Bjorklund out of Spokane, WA. Seems like their reputation precedes them and they can get players from anywhere, even now when they are a pale shadow of what they once were.

Reaction Score
Apparently the most recent comments by WNBA talent scouts were that Diamond was likely the #1 pick so her draft stock had nothing to do with her forgoing it.

We'll see, but I'm skeptical.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Looking over this board and others...... pretty much every player people assumed would leave after this season stayed in school. I guess we will find out soon enough about Kaela Davis.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
She probably was told she would not the #1, #2, #3, #4, etc. selection in the 2017 WNBA draft. I guess she thinks next year she can beat out Gabby Williams for the #1 selection. Goooood Luck with that!

Who thinks that Williams will go #1 besides UCONN fans?

Reaction Score

Don't know about Williams #1.... but i feel comfortable saying that she has gotten far better coaching with this team of coaches than she would have with any other coaching staff

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I'm very surprised that both Kelsey Mitchell and Diamond stayed. You mention Morgan but there was also Jewell of ND and Amanda Zahui B., all three of them l were top 1,2,& 3 picks in the draft. Diamond and Mitchell were also projected to be in that same range.
Jewell surprised almost everyone that year, ZahuiB is Swedish and no one is all that surprised when Europeans decide US college isn't for them and head home so that was not that unusual, and I though there was a third that year as well but can't remember.
This year with that recruiting class history of transfer and injury for most of the top ten is the first year with so many highly talented players eligible to leave before their fourth year of college play, but there just isn't a history of players leaving. a couple of four that I can think of in the past 12 years with two being sort of special circumstances.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Oh gosh...I'm guessing Orangutan is not going to be pleased with this news. He was hoping San Antonio would take Diamond so his Chicago Sky would get to choose Kelsey Plum. I was never sure Ruth Riley would take Diamond over Kelsey, but without the choice.....me thinks Kelsey is San Antonio-bound.

Reaction Score
Oh gosh...I'm guessing Orangutan is not going to be pleased with this news. He was hoping San Antonio would take Diamond so his Chicago Sky would get to choose Kelsey Plum. I was never sure Ruth Riley would take Diamond over Kelsey, but without the choice.....me thinks Kelsey is San Antonio-bound.

A cosmic balance has been struck. The orange ape's displeasure will be negated by the relief I feel about Jefferson not having to work hard to make a certain orange player look better than she actually is.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I think the starting lineup will be Cooper, DeShields, Westbrook, Nared, and Russell.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score

I wonder about that myself. I have a hard time seeing her continue to be used as an undersized post player in the WNBA, so how does she project as a wing as a pro?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I wonder about that myself. I have a hard time seeing her continue to be used as an undersized post player in the WNBA, so how does she project as a wing as a pro?

No team outside of the Connecticut Sun would draft Williams #1 over Wilson. 2018 is gonna be a heck of a draft though..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom