Deshields staying at UT | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Deshields staying at UT

Reaction Score
Seems to me most of the top 20 teams aren't losing much next year. And most return their best players.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm surprised. What's the date on which players need to declare for the draft? In other words, how long does Diamond have to change her mind? ;)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Could it be that when she saw UCONN lose that she thinks she has a chance for an NC?

857.jpg

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I'm not that surprised - I just don't think it is all that common still for women to forego eligibility. Yes, Tuck did in somewhat special circumstances and with 4 NCs in her pocket, and we had that one class two years ago with three I think, Parker, and the Rutgers player all those years ago. There aren't all that many jobs and they are not 'set for life' jobs like with the boys.

For Diamond, I am not so sure she was that hot a prospect coming off this past year - her personal numbers were up somewhat from previous years, but ...

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I'm not that surprised - I just don't think it is all that common still for women to forego eligibility. Yes, Tuck did in somewhat special circumstances and with 4 NCs in her pocket, and we had that one class two years ago with three I think, Parker, and the Rutgers player all those years ago. There aren't all that many jobs and they are not 'set for life' jobs like with the boys.

For Diamond, I am not so sure she was that hot a prospect coming off this past year - her personal numbers were up somewhat from previous years, but ...
Just a reminder - Prince was NOT eligible for the draft. She turned pro (overseas). The only RU player that had the option was Cappie, but she also returned for the last year.

Reaction Score
Two things come to mind--Maybe she unofficially tested the waters and didn't like the taste. Maybe she considers Plum more competition for the position she expects to play as a pro.
I guess that is marketability--but be assured next year n shall equal Z (if Azura opts for pro--which I doubt) Next year Aj'a, Gabby,
and a host of top player will be seeking some WNBA/Europe positions (as in jobs).

I'm not a Diamond hater---not a lover either--I think Nared is better for Tn---after not making the 16 this year does she think she and Freshmen will bring them an NC?? Of is her goal less lofty??

Orrrr maybe you can read her actual words and you won't have to work so hard to "guess". The instagram post was linked by someone above; just click the name and it will take you to the page. In it, she thoroughly discusses why she made the decision she made, and why it took her so long to come to terms with what is best for her and her team.

As much as some of you on this board try and find fault with this young lady, she is still finding herself and growing into who she was created to be, and frankly, I appreciate how open she has been about her emotional struggles. That girl is an open book, even though she doesn't owe anyone any explanations about anything. This instagram post really exposed that the North Carolina saga still sits heavy on her heart, and she's seeking redemption and trying to make amends. Please read what she wrote before drawing conclusions.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure this makes TN a better team next year. First, there will be an awful lot of guards to keep happy.

It also appears that Holly might have made some playing time promises to attract recruits. It makes me think she wasn't going to repeat her previous recruiting disaster, where she turned down some players and ended up getting no one.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I think a smart move on Diamond's part. She was not going to be the #1 pick.

But UT still has Holly as its head coach. Enough said.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure this makes TN a better team next year. First, there will be an awful lot of guards to keep happy.

It also appears that Holly might have made some playing time promises to attract recruits. You know this how????

Reaction Score
exactly. this will be holly's true test. i say she has 2 years max to hit FF. if we have another year like this year, she will be out.
Short of Holly nuking Knoxville, I think she will be the coach at least until her current contract runs out. Given that the Vols beat some top teams this year coupled with the top incoming recruiting class, I think that basically resets the clock.

Reaction Score
Orrrr maybe you can read her actual words and you won't have to work so hard to "guess". The instagram post was linked by someone above; just click the name and it will take you to the page. In it, she thoroughly discusses why she made the decision she made, and why it took her so long to come to terms with what is best for her and her team.

As much as some of you on this board try and find fault with this young lady, she is still finding herself and growing into who she was created to be, and frankly, I appreciate how open she has been about her emotional struggles. That girl is an open book, even though she doesn't owe anyone any explanations about anything. This instagram post really exposed that the North Carolina saga still sits heavy on her heart, and she's seeking redemption and trying to make amends. Please read what she wrote before drawing conclusions.
L

OR I COULD DRINK HOLLY'S GERM AID AND BECOME A VOL FANS

Reaction Score
I have to believe that her decision to return for another year of WCBB had lots to do with what was likely the indication that she would not go high in the WNBA draft, and might have seen her career flounder even more than it has. Seems to me that she's banking on making AA next year and boosting her professional prospects. Though some here suggested that she would go #1 in the draft, I think that was daft.

I wonder how HW will handle this. I'm guessing that she is going to sit her down and tell her that she's not getting the same playing time as she expects, and that there is a youth movement at UT. Like it or lump it!!

Reaction Score
SO interesting to see two fans from a different school (Tenn) engaging each other on YOUR fansite about THEIR issues.

A sign of your grace and patience as wbb fans, and another reason for me to sit back and cringe at times when ETT posts on BONEYARD about Baylor stuff.

[disclaimer: I don't know ETT, but caution anyone NOT to draw conclusions about LadyBear bball based on the drivel known as baylorfans.com. There are reasons why most of us left that site years ago.]

As always, best wishes.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Just announced it on social media. Did not see this one coming.

She probably was told she would not the #1, #2, #3, #4, etc. selection in the 2017 WNBA draft. I guess she thinks next year she can beat out Gabby Williams for the #1 selection. Goooood Luck with that!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
SO interesting to see two fans from a different school (Tenn) engaging each other on YOUR fansite about THEIR issues.

A sign of your grace and patience as wbb fans, and another reason for me to sit back and cringe at times when ETT posts on BONEYARD about Baylor stuff.

[disclaimer: I don't know ETT, but caution anyone NOT to draw conclusions about LadyBear bball based on the drivel known as baylorfans.com. There are reasons why most of us left that site years ago.]

As always, best wishes.
Three Tenn fans, actually. Bballnut90 is an LV fan.

ETT is fine, kind of like the step-brother we've eventually grown fond of. He's posted here enough that we overlook the fanatical fan posts he makes every now and then.

I'm sure he's surprised to see me write that :)

Reaction Score
I doubt it was about her draft status because every mock draft that I have seen had Diamond going high as #1 or as low was #3.

Reaction Score
She probably was told she would not the #1, #2, #3, #4, etc. selection in the 2017 WNBA draft. I guess she thinks next year she can beat out Gabby Williams for the #1 selection. Goooood Luck with that!

I love Gabby, but I think Wilson, then possibly Turner if she returns will be 1 and 2 next year.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
According to what Diamond said. I think she wants to help the freshman.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom