DeShields leaving UT, going professional | Page 9 | The Boneyard

DeShields leaving UT, going professional

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
While I agree with many of the ideas you present, I have a somewhat different take on DD in the pros.

For the last 4 years, DD's life has been largely managed by college coaches and athletic departments. Where she lived, when and where she ate, her class and practice schedule were highly structured. When she wasn't at college, she was likely at home with her parents in another highly structured environment.

In the pros, DD will be presumed to be an adult. While she'll have to show up for practice and games, she'll have a few dollars and can live wherever she wants, do whatever she wants with little or no influence from coaches or parents.

Nothing in DD's past indicates that she has the mental discipline necessary to handle her new found freedom. While the situation is different in many ways, I cannot help but think of Johnny Manziel crashing and burning after he was drafted by the Cleveland Browns.

Oldude, you mentioned some very real and salient points of concern for Diamond, or any college grad venturing out on their own for the first time in the "real world". Diamond is 22 years old (Born 3/5/1995), so yes, she IS an adult, and will be expected to comport herself in all phases of her personal and professional life like one.

A whole new world is about to open up to her. I know a tiger can't change his stripes, but sometimes a change of venue, surroundings and people, can make a difference in changing one's attitude, goals and outlook on life. A 6-10 month stint overseas (on her own) may be just what she needs. She'll have a year to perfect her game (and make any necessary attitude adjustments) at the professional level, before coming back to the U.S, and presenting it to the W.

If nothing else, she'll get a fresh start with others (coaches & teammates) that know very little (if anything) about her, and won't have any preconceived notions or thoughts about her. She'll have a chance to make a fresh start, and a new bed to lay in. An opportunity to either prove everyone right, or prove everyone wrong. The choice will be hers, and hers alone.

There's something about DD I like. I've seen her do some very intelligent and introspective interviews. I hope she does a 180, and comes back to the states and joins the W with a new attitude, a new outlook on life (which can easily happen when you leave the country. Kinda like being able to see the forest for the first time now that you're away from the trees), and a positive and realistic perception of who DD really is.

If she should come to that same fork in the road "Johnny Football" came to, I hope she takes the high road. Having just finished her undergrad degree, I'm wishing Diamond all the best as she begins work on her master's degree at the school of "Hard Knocks". As you know, that's a tough major with a syllabus that is continuously changing, sometimes without any notice. :cool:

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
There's no way a rational WNBA GM selects DD. Everyone here is talking about her talent. But she's increasingly erratic. The explanation that she is leaving because her best friend is leaving UT also makes no sense. An adult does not leave university over a best friend. You get together when possible, you wish each other the best. You don't bail on college- and a pro career- because of what a friend does.

Selecting this kid with a top draft choice would be the definition of insanity. If she can't be depended on at the college level, does anyone really think she can be relied upon by teammates and management to contribute at the pro level? No way.
DD will be a lottery pick in the WNBA draft when she enters. What she did in college off the court will have little to do with that. Each player left for different reasons, but what DD did is essentially no different than what Natalie Butler, Kaela Davis, Allisha Gray, & Jewell Loyd did-they changed their minds.

Reaction Score
DD will be a lottery pick in the WNBA draft when she enters. What she did in college off the court will have little to do with that. Each player left for different reasons, but what DD did is essentially no different than what Natalie Butler, Kaela Davis, Allisha Gray, & Jewell Loyd did-they changed their minds.
If she cannot do a good job in college, what make you believe she can do a good job in WNBA?

Reaction Score
Seattle? Not San Antonio?
Fans of Seattle want Plum not DD ....
I wouldn't want Stewie to have to play with Plum, she was a total zero in the Pan Am games, and it doesn't surprise me she has problems playing in the WNBA.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If she cannot do a good job in college, what make you believe she can do a good job in WNBA?
Simple, college is about more than basketball & WNBA isn't.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Simple, college is about more than basketball & WNBA isn't.
I don't know about others, but the most challenging transition I ever made, 2nd only to being a dad, was leaving the relative comfort & security of college to be on my own, earn a living and function as an adult.

Hopefully, DD is up to the challenge.

Reaction Score

Davis, Loyd, and Gray left after stellar careers. Loyd did everything she could for Notre Dame, and starred there. She left for a pro career rather than attempt to get ND into another Final Four. But no one could fault those three for moving to the next level. And none of the three was questioned about their heart, their coach ability, or anything else.

Butler did all she could for a great UConn program, but she simply was not close to the level of talent ht takes to play regularly. And with a slew of talented players, including an All American post player, coming in, it was clear that she would ride the bench. Further, Butler hinted at a major personal issue that wouldn't go away. So some good reasons for not coming back for a fifth year.

DD is a quite different case.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Kaizen, I don't know if she will be able to change (do a good job) in the WNBA. The following will be factors in whether or not she will:
  1. She will be a professional athlete. No longer a student athlete. There is a world of difference and expectation between the two.
  2. She will be in a completely different environment from what she was in at college. She will be teammates with grown adult women, not teenagers. She will be the rookie that will have to impress the coaches and her new teammates by playing hard every play, not taking any plays off and holding up her end of the bargain. That is when she's on the floor, making sure it's 5 on 5, not 5 on 4.
  3. She will be paid cold hard ca$h for her services. She will be expected to earn her salary, and do her job (Belichick). If she can't or won't, they'll cut her, and sign another American player that will. She will not be coddled!!
  4. She will have another American on the team that will be a mentor to her, show her the ropes, and explain to her in detail everything she will be expected to do.
  5. Her tour overseas will be a precursor to her entering the W. If she does well with whoever she plays for, that will bode well for her in the eyes of coaches and GM's here.
  6. She will have her agent, parents and other family and friends counseling her has to why she should take full advantage of this opportunity, and not blow it. If she does, she may not get another. When you're a professional athlete, there's always someone trying to take your job.

Two corrections in my post above to Oldude:
"She'll have a chance to make a fresh start, and a new bed to lay in." That should be lie in. Things lay, people lie.
"before coming back to the U.S, and presenting it to the W". U.S, should be U.S.,

JS

Reaction Score
Two corrections in my post above to Oldude:
"She'll have a chance to make a fresh start, and a new bed to lay in." That should be lie in. Things lay, people lie.
"before coming back to the U.S, and presenting it to the W". U.S, should be U.S.,
OK, Kibitzer, what have you done with Carnac?

Reaction Score
DD is a trainwreck waiting to happen but remember Dennis Rodman and all HIS weirdness didn't have trouble getting an offer from some team until he was too old to play! DD will get several offers from GM's thinking they're the one to get her talent to overshadow her lack of maturity! Then down the road they'll let her go quietly to the next GM with rose colored glasses!

Reaction Score
DD is a trainwreck waiting to happen but remember Dennis Rodman and all HIS weirdness didn't have trouble getting an offer from some team until he was too old to play! DD will get several offers from GM's thinking they're the one to get her talent to overshadow her lack of maturity! Then down the road they'll let her go quietly to the next GM with rose colored glasses!
Rodman was a very consistent, high-impact defensive player who was a multi-year all-star, multi-year rebounding champion, multi-year DPOY and played a significant role in 5 NBA championships with two different teams. Being a total flake off the court had no apparent effect on his on-court performance, and he had the savvy to keep his weirdness from negatively impacting the team dynamics.

Reaction Score
Does DD have the option to play the 2017-2018 season as a PG player? Since she was going to play for Tennessee this coming season, I assume that she retains a season's eligibility.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Davis, Loyd, and Gray left after stellar careers. Loyd did everything she could for Notre Dame, and starred there. She left for a pro career rather than attempt to get ND into another Final Four. But no one could fault those three for moving to the next level. And none of the three was questioned about their heart, their coach ability, or anything else.

Butler did all she could for a great UConn program, but she simply was not close to the level of talent ht takes to play regularly. And with a slew of talented players, including an All American post player, coming in, it was clear that she would ride the bench. Further, Butler hinted at a major personal issue that wouldn't go away. So some good reasons for not coming back for a fifth year.
DD is a quite different case.
Check the shooting numbers and you will find that Davis and Diamond have similar career numbers=neither was "spectacular". Loyd left ND days after assuring her coach she would would be staying=same as Diamond. DD reason for leaving TN sounds personal=same as Natalie's hint.
Some have (incorrectly so) questioned Butler's heart, toughness & conditioning. Davis spent two years at GT, to say "coach ability" was not an issue, is revisionist.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Dennis Rodman and all his weirdness gave 100% every time he was on the court. He was a defensive force and a rebounding machine. As for DD?

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see how her pro career pans out...

In the plus column: Her size and uber athleticism are ideal for a pro guard or small wing. Additionally, the run-n-gun, me-me-me, score-score-score style of several clubs is conducive to her personal make-up.

In the minus column: She has been injury prone her entire collegiate career and pro ball is going to be exponentially more physical - I rather doubt she'll be able to hold-up. Additionally, I question her bball IQ and if her future coach limits her minutes because she just can't get with the program, well, you can't just transfer to another school anymore.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
A player leaves the school with mutual discussion and agreement between the coach and the player is accepted and understanded.

When do Stevens and Butler say they will definitely stay and mentor the upcoming freshmen?

Do you think DD has mutual discussion and agreement with Holly? If yes, I will take back my words ... Thanks.

You act as if you know that she didn't. Haven't we all learned by now that decisions are made for reasons that we don't know at the time. In life, I prefer to give the benefit of the doubt unless I am presented with proof to think otherwise.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Can DD sign with any WNBA team this summer?

Like Snoopey says, see above; but short answer NO. She would have had to declared, renounced her remaining eligibility and been passed over in the draft.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm sure everyone has noticed the avatar change. No more "Carnac the great". I would have changed my handle too, but the system would not allow me to. I'm not in the prediction business anymore. I had fun with it for a while, but I got tired of it, and moved on.

But I am going to stick my chest out this one last time and say I told you so. I said emphatically way back on January 19, (as well on other occasions) that Diamond DeShields was NOT coming back next year. I publicly (here in the yard) dined on a little crow after she made her announcement that she was in fact coming back for her senior year. No one was more surprised about that decision that me. Everything (crystal ball, Ouija board, tarot cards, rabbit feet, envelopes, etc. you name it) that I had at my disposal at that time said she was not coming back. ;)

I also predicted before the season began that no team would go undefeated last season. I was correct on that one too. However I would give anything to have been wrong on that one. I didn't see UConn getting to 36-0 back in September. I was heart broken that we lost, and by the way we lost. Here is that post from January below:

Massengill is 2018 - DD will definitely be gone by then.

The answer
: "Gone to the WNBA. The question.Where will Diamond DeShields be next year?

My first real "step way out there on a limb prediction" of the season. Next year, color her gone! :cool:

Carnac, Jan 19, 2017Report
#25+ QuoteReply
Hope you didn't dislocate your shoulder. ;) :D

Reaction Score
DD will get several offers from GM's thinking they're the one to get her talent to overshadow her lack of maturity! Then down the road they'll let her go quietly to the next GM with rose colored glasses!
To me, DD has shades of Angel McCoughtry. Wouldn't that be something else if Georgia's Best Ever HS Player ended up in Atlanta with McCoughtry.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I would have been incredibly impressed if you had continued to insist that DD was gone, even after she announced she was coming back. That act of omniscience would have truly earned the nickname "Carnac the Great." ;)

So does this mean we have to settle for "Carnac the Okay"?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom