DeShields leaving UT, going professional | The Boneyard

DeShields leaving UT, going professional

Reaction Score
This is interesting news in a summer of interesting news.

Dan Fleser on Twitter

ETA:
DDCPOh1WAAIJ53d

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Boom!!

I was all but told this early but wanted to verify and all I could find was rumor.

JS

Reaction Score
Haven't read anything but the quote by Fleser. If that's all there is, Ms. Warlick sounds pretty defensive.

Minimal statement of the departure. No well wishing, or we'll miss her, or anything about her contribution.

At greater length, and I paraphrase: "We aren't going to hell; we'll be fine I tell ya."

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I am really disappointed that Deshields has decided to leave. I count her as one of the reasons (along with Warlick) that UTenn has struggled the last couple of years. Too bad. I was looking forward to another failed season at UTenn. :p

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
It seems Deshields was sincere in wanting to return to Tennessee for her 5th year. Then Te'a Cooper left and everything changed.

I too was struck by Holly's statement. At some point I'm sure she'll wish Diamond well; today is not that day.

This changes expectations for next season but likely a blessing in the long run.

Reaction Score
Haven't read anything but the quote by Fleser. If that's all there is, Ms. Warlick sounds pretty defensive.
Minimal statement of the departure. No well wishing, or we'll miss her, or anything about her contribution.
An alternative interpretation to defensive is "good riddance."

With that kind of statement you can tell there's no love lost.
I am guessing things were fine in the end of the season interview, but then after Coopers departure, DD changed her mind catching HW off guard.

Reaction Score
Good get!!! I got nothin from any of my go to sources on this one..........a bit surprised by the timing.........she has her degree so can't really blame her for wanting to go play with the big girls but certainly left a promising situation.......

Reaction Score

At greater length, and I paraphrase: "We aren't going to hell; we'll be fine I tell ya."
I guess she didn't understand what she was saying when she said, "Where are we going, and. why am I in this handbasket?" :)

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I said this all along from the moment she transferred to Tennessee. I knew she would not finish her last year and would go pro instead. No surprise for me...here... The surprise was...up to this point she had said she was coming back...now, that declaration threw me for a loop. And, BAM! Here we are, things are as expected.

Can't wait to see Margo's next video... lol :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tennessee fans I know this feels like a big loss, but count your blessing. You have four new freshman and it's better to weave out the negativity before it becomes an influence on them. If Warlick is really serious about getting the under control then this a start. If we're being honest Jamie Nared should be the go to player for you guys anyway.

Reaction Score
Isn't this odd, to leave after the WNBA draft has taken place, not to mention in mid-season? Is she eligible to be signed by a WNBA team this season as a free agent, or does she have to wait for next year's draft? Does she play in Europe or Asia in the meantime? Has there ever been a comparable situation for a potential WNBA player?

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Isn't this odd, to leave after the WNBA draft has taken place, not to mention in mid-season? Is she eligible to be signed by a WNBA team this season as a free agent, or does she have to wait for next year's draft? Does she play in Europe or Asia in the meantime? Has there ever been a comparable situation for a potential WNBA player?

I smell a 10 day contract coming up...

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

For Holly and Tenn this is a VERY GOOD thing! Holly can regain her team without a solo ballhog. She can focus on running their offense through Mercedes. She can work on resetting the culture with the outstanding freshmen class. This may be her last chance but to me, she is clear to soar or crash and burn. But now she can soar without Deshields.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Tennessee fans I know this feels like a big loss, but count your blessing. You have four new freshman and it's better to weave out the negativity before it becomes an influence on them. If Warlick is really serious about getting the under control then this a start. If we're being honest Jamie Nared should be the go to player for you guys anyway.

Exactly. Short-term pain will be long-term gain. That's true for both Cooper and DeShields. If Holly is serious about changing the culture it's likely to happen sooner now that both players are gone.

Reaction Score
And thus why it mustve been the Cooper thing.
If it was because of the Cooper thing, then I'm side eyeing Diamond because her whole helping the freshman mantra was bs. It look like she did it all to make herself look better, like I said Deshields is a selfish team player.

Reaction Score
Wow...it's a surprise especially after the declaration in a long memo by DD that she is coming back and why....oh well, it's an end to an underachieving college career of an out-worldly talent. She truly needed a strong coach to mold her but chose the easy way out in both her college choices. Shame...

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
When I saw it suggested this morning I thought it was just wild speculation, and was tempted to chastise the post for rumor mongering!

When did they change the name of the city from Knoxville to Knots Landing?

I hestitated about whether to post anything about it, but the source i had is usually spot on about things going on within the program. It's a blow to the lady vols for sure, and i'm not entirely certain it's all over. Could be more bad news on the horizon for lady vol fans. It definitely has turned into one big soap opera..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom