DeShields leaving UT, going professional | Page 8 | The Boneyard

DeShields leaving UT, going professional

Reaction Score
An unabashed observation from afar about Diamond Deshields -

I've not come to bury Diamond Deshields, but to acknowledge her skill set. Say and think whatever you will about Diamond, she is a talented basketball player. And because she reached a moderate level of success (and at times suggested there may be more latent potential waiting to be tapped) in Division 1 WCBB, there are several GM's in the WNBA that would sign her right now!. It's often said in professional sports that "talent trumps character".

I'm not advocating or suggesting that DeShields is perfect, or your ideal player coming out of college, she's not. Few are.
But as we know, there will always be coaches that figure they can successfully coach/mentor and enlighten players that may bring a little extra "baggage" with them when they report to camp. There are some things that DeShields will have to adjust to, and make allowances for, but that should not retard her progress in transitioning to the W.

Diamond will not be the first player to come out of college needing a little extra help in making those "personal adjustments" at the next level. Pro coaches and their staff members are experts at showing/helping players how things are done in their particular organization.

A poster mentioned today that if she were to go to the Lynx, Maya would gladly "Mentor" (counsel her as how to conduct her self as to do's/don't's/we won't stand for that type of behavior here) her from a professional and team bonding point of view.

Diamond will be especially attractive to WNBA teams next season (over incoming college seniors) because she, in addition to another year's worth of maturity, will have already played professionally overseas, and will have become indoctrinated to the rigors and expectations of play at that level. She will be able to come in and help a team right away having already learned the nuances of professional team play.

Make no mistake about it, barring injury, DD will go in the first round in next year's WNBA draft. She would have gone in the first round in this year's draft had she come out.
Whether you like DD or not, she would make a team like Seattle much better then they are now.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
We need less of those.... more chefs and food critics :cool:
maxresdefault.jpg

Reaction Score
This site had DD as #1 in 2017 draft.
And, they still have Napheesa as #4 in 2018 draft.

The inputs are from fans from all over (Only good as the people who post). I haven't posted my picks yet (I keep changing things up Head bang). I'd love to see the BY'er's various picks. Plus it might be fun

Reaction Score
and i would add that if she left b/c cooper left then that is even more absurd. and this is why i have always wanted holly to be more of a coach and less of a friend. CLEARLY these players thought they could just do whatever they want and still be playing. there is some cleaning house going on in knoxville and before people characterize it as people leaving TN, maybe we should think about whether holly is actually telling people BYE.
Cleaning houses would be a great job for Holly. :)

HGN

Reaction Score
I would take Williams 6 days a week and twice on Sunday over DD. I don't think it's even close. Williams plays hard every play every game. DD plays hard when she feels like it, which is about 50% of the time.
It's rare that a Vol is right about something.......But LadyVol9 you do have a valid point.
Hopefully DD will learn that it has never been a question about her talent and skills. The question has always been her attitude and whether she was coachable.

Reaction Score
Some fans never learn the value of team chemistry. That is especially true of college fans ( esp/WCBB fans ) because the limited number of games played and the constant turnover in rosters vial graduation makes that sort of thing harder to gage. Of course now with the increase in transfers the concept of addition via subtraction should begin to manifest in various program.

The greatest example of "addition via subtraction" comes from Allen Iverson's career in the NBA. He led his 76'er team virtually single handedly to the finals and almost the Championship in 2001. He was an acknowledged superstar and the heart of his team. Everyone had high expectations for them. Yet that was as close as they ever got. In fact the regressed year by year, until the team decided to part with Iverson's ball hogging ways. They the 76'sr fans were upset especially isnce the team got virtually nothing in return. Iverson fans expected the team to take a wins nosedive, but surprisingly the teams record improved sightly after he was gone. Iverson was traded to Denver, a team with much more talent and it was expected with his addition that the team would challenge for the title. Well that didn't happen so he was again traded and as happened the first time the team did better without him.

Iverson was one of the greatest offensive talents to ever play in the NBA, yet it became obvious to everyone that his game was an overall team liability. He went from team to team until no one wanted him anymore, despite the fact that he could still put points on the board. Teams recognized that the negatives he brought far outweighed his positives. Of course that was some time ago and to many NBA fans have forgotten that lesson.

Now DD is no Iverson and it's not even close. So if a unstoppable and consistent player like Iverson can hurt a teams chemistry to the point where they are better off without him, what does that say for a far lesser and inconsistent player like DD?

Reaction Score
How exactly has she burned the WNBA?

If she's a good player, she will do well in Europe and be a high draft pick next year.
If she's not a good player it's moot.
I don't like what she did, but when you think about it she can pick her own wnba team in stead of being drafted by a team she may mot like.

What is to stop a player in her same situation announce she is leaving school, but not de lare for the draft.

This may be a situation the wnba may have to consider.

A player, like her, can chose to be a free agent rather than entering the draft.

Reaction Score
I don't like what she did, but when you think about it she can pick her own wnba team in stead of being drafted by a team she may mot like.

What is to stop a player in her same situation announce she is leaving school, but not de lare for the draft.

This may be a situation the wnba may have to consider.

A player, like her, can chose to be a free agent rather than entering the draft.

A player can only enter the draft if the class she enter college in has graduated. and in the case that happens and they still have eligibility they must declare. DD is not a Free Agent .... no WNBA team can sign her until she goes thru the 2018 draft.

DD may be looking at the current standings in the WNBA and guessing that she would most likely end up with Phoenix, Indiana or Atlanta. Which of those three would be the best fit for the team or the most attractive to DD is anybody's guess. But I really can't see DD going among the top 10 picks.

DD was "all in" for 2017-18 with UT. Something happened. Whether it be Cooper or HW (and her Team Up changes) or Middleton ...

Reaction Score
A player can only enter the draft if the class she enter college in has graduated. and in the case that happens and they still have eligibility they must declare. DD is not a Free Agent .... no WNBA team can sign her until she goes thru the 2018 draft.

DD may be looking at the current standings in the WNBA and guessing that she would most likely end up with Phoenix, Indiana or Atlanta. Which of those three would be the best fit for the team or the most attractive to DD is anybody's guess. But I really can't see DD going among the top 10 picks.

DD was "all in" for 2017-18 with UT. Something happened. Whether it be Cooper or HW (and her Team Up changes) or Middleton ...
I am not sure that is correct. Her class has graduated and she is therefore eligible for the wnba. I think a team can sign her if they have salary cap room.

Reaction Score
Diamond has had chemistry issues with teammates going back to being a 9th grader with Kaela Davis. Those issues has followed her during her time playing AAU, at UNC, and at Tennessee.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I am not sure that is correct. Her class has graduated and she is therefore eligible for the wnba. I think a team can sign her if they have salary cap room.

1. Who’s eligible to be drafted?
The league requires draft entrants to be at least 22 years old during the year in which the draft takes place and has no remaining college eligibility or renounces any future college eligibility.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
But I really can't see DD going among the top 10 picks.

I do believe this was and is part of her dilemna. She didn't and doesn't want to face the potential "image" slap of being selected down the line, but, looking at the rules referred to above, it seems the only way she "avoids" that is to be passed over entirely in the 2018 draft ( and that is avoiding a car trip by wrecking the car). She's captive to the dissonance between her public pronouncements and her performance on the court. Go play abroad and get your team mate /performance creds up? Or down. I don't see the European style of play being to her liking, but I'll b einterested in seeing things unfold from here.

Reaction Score
WNBA Collective Bargaining Agreement:

Article XIII Section 1: (f) No player may sign a Contract or play in the WNBA unless she has been eligible for selection in at least one (1) WNBA Draft

Thank you.
I figured that she would not be allowed to play this season. Thanks for confirming.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
One thing is for sure, when WNBA time comes DD will be judged by her on-court production. That she left a bad situation a year early will have zero consideration.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I must respectfully disagree with your assessment. In particular "DD has the most upside than the others". I am tempted to agree with that statement. However in all her years in the NCAA with the possible exception of UNC, she has not lived up to that potential. She has topped the list for many many preseason awards over multiple years yet been conspicuously absent at the end of the season. And now she is leaving an underperforming team that appears to have suffered from a poisoned atmosphere for multiple years .....

If I was a GM that would be a red flag. I might draft her in the second or third round but I would not waste a first rounder on her.
I agree that DD has not lived up to her potential, but I disagree that it will create a red flag for any WNBA GM. Playing for Sylvia DD was among best players in the country. Playing for Holly she has not even made SEC first team. A reasonable GM might conclude that Holly was not the right coach to bring out the potential especially when you consider that Holly has also not brought potential out of any other player (s).

Reaction Score
WNBA Collective Bargaining Agreement:

Article XIII Section 1: (f) No player may sign a Contract or play in the WNBA unless she has been eligible for selection in at least one (1) WNBA Draft
It should be obvious that the WNBA would not leave a loop hole that could be utilized by a player to avoid the draft. DD's situation is not that unusual so they definitely would have it covered.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't like what she did, but when you think about it she can pick her own wnba team in stead of being drafted by a team she may mot like. What is to stop a player in her same situation announce she is leaving school, but not de lare for the draft. This may be a situation the wnba may have to consider.
The WNBA CBA prevents most of what you suggesting. If you want to play in the league you MUST make yourself available to the draft process. Players that fail to get drafted are then eligible to tryout with any team.

Reaction Score
Whether you like DD or not, she would make a team like Seattle much better then they are now.
Seattle? Not San Antonio?
Fans of Seattle want Plum not DD ....

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I'm sure everyone has noticed the avatar change. No more "Carnac the great". I would have changed my handle too, but the system would not allow me to. I'm not in the prediction business anymore. I had fun with it for a while, but I got tired of it, and moved on.
This news is a little disTURBAN, but do whatcha gotta do. :D

Reaction Score

No... not unless they've changed how they've done things since 2010. In 2009, Piph Prince renounced her senior year of eligibility with Rutgers to join a Russian team (lured by the money). I think she may have played with Taurasi. Prince went on to be drafted #4 in 2010 by the Chicago Sky.

Reaction Score
There's no way a rational WNBA GM selects DD. Everyone here is talking about her talent. But she's increasingly erratic. The explanation that she is leaving because her best friend is leaving UT also makes no sense. An adult does not leave university over a best friend. You get together when possible, you wish each other the best. You don't bail on college- and a pro career- because of what a friend does.

Selecting this kid with a top draft choice would be the definition of insanity. If she can't be depended on at the college level, does anyone really think she can be relied upon by teammates and management to contribute at the pro level? No way.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The real question is this. since Deshields has moved on from WCBB..... who rises to the #1 spot in the BY WCBB Player bash rankings ;):cool::p:D:eek::oops::rolleyes:

:p
You incorrectly assume that BY'ers will cease and desist just because DD is done with college. Au contraire mon ami. Just wait until DD has a 6 for 25 game with 10 turnovers and 0 assists for some remote team in China. The game might end at 0400 EST, but I guarantee that by 0401 EST, there's a post on the BY about it. :cool:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm sure everyone has noticed the avatar change. No more "Carnac the great". I would have changed my handle too, but the system would not allow me to. I'm not in the prediction business anymore. I had fun with it for a while, but I got tired of it, and moved on.

But I am going to stick my chest out this one last time and say I told you so. I said emphatically way back on January 19, (as well on other occasions) that Diamond DeShields was NOT coming back next year. I publicly (here in the yard) dined on a little crow after she made her announcement that she was in fact coming back for her senior year. No one was more surprised about that decision that me. Everything (crystal ball, Ouija board, tarot cards, rabbit feet, envelopes, etc. you name it) that I had at my disposal at that time said she was not coming back. ;)

I also predicted before the season began that no team would go undefeated last season. I was correct on that one too. However I would give anything to have been wrong on that one. I didn't see UConn getting to 36-0 back in September. I was heart broken that we lost, and by the way we lost. Here is that post from January below:

Massengill is 2018 - DD will definitely be gone by then.

The answer
: "Gone to the WNBA. The question.Where will Diamond DeShields be next year?

My first real "step way out there on a limb prediction" of the season. Next year, color her gone! :cool:

Carnac, Jan 19, 2017Report
#25+ QuoteReply
I would have been incredibly impressed if you had continued to insist that DD was gone, even after she announced she was coming back. That act of omniscience would have truly earned the nickname "Carnac the Great." ;)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
An unabashed observation from afar about Diamond Deshields -

I've not come to bury Diamond Deshields, but to acknowledge her skill set. Say and think whatever you will about Diamond, she is a talented basketball player. And because she reached a moderate level of success (and at times suggested there may be more latent potential waiting to be tapped) in Division 1 WCBB, there are several GM's in the WNBA that would sign her right now!. It's often said in professional sports that "talent trumps character".

I'm not advocating or suggesting that DeShields is perfect, or your ideal player coming out of college, she's not. Few are.
But as we know, there will always be coaches that figure they can successfully coach/mentor and enlighten players that may bring a little extra "baggage" with them when they report to camp. There are some things that DeShields will have to adjust to, and make allowances for, but that should not retard her progress in transitioning to the W.

Diamond will not be the first player to come out of college needing a little extra help in making those "personal adjustments" at the next level. Pro coaches and their staff members are experts at showing/helping players how things are done in their particular organization.

A poster mentioned today that if she were to go to the Lynx, Maya would gladly "Mentor" (counsel her as how to conduct her self as to do's/don't's/we won't stand for that type of behavior here) her from a professional and team bonding point of view.

Diamond will be especially attractive to WNBA teams next season (over incoming college seniors) because she, in addition to another year's worth of maturity, will have already played professionally overseas, and will have become indoctrinated to the rigors and expectations of play at that level. She will be able to come in and help a team right away having already learned the nuances of professional team play.

Make no mistake about it, barring injury, DD will go in the first round in next year's WNBA draft. She would have gone in the first round in this year's draft had she come out.
While I agree with many of the ideas you present, I have a somewhat different take on DD in the pros.

For the last 4 years, DD's life has been largely managed by college coaches and athletic departments. Where she lived, when and where she ate, her class and practice schedule were highly structured. When she wasn't at college, she was likely at home with her parents in another highly structured environment.

In the pros, DD will be presumed to be an adult. While she'll have to show up for practice and games, she'll have a few dollars and can live wherever she wants, do whatever she wants with little or no influence from coaches or parents.

Nothing in DD's past indicates that she has the mental discipline necessary to handle her new found freedom. While the situation is different in many ways, I cannot help but think of Johnny Manziel crashing and burning after he was drafted by the Cleaveland Browns.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom